Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ho mercy
Jul 8, 2006

Did you mean: dudefarts Top 2 results shown
This is probably a dumb question regarding installation but oh well. When I try to shrink the C:\ drive to make the partition to dual boot 7, it only allows me to shrink it by the 1.6 GB. Defragging and empty space consolidation didn't do anything. I have over 100 GB free and something like 50GB of consolidated empty space. Anyone know what the issue is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ho mercy
Jul 8, 2006

Doddery Meerkat posted:

Are you using windows defragger? Windows can't move the system files at the end of the disk, that can only be done on boot up. What I did was use diskeeper pro (you can trial for 30 days) and ran the boot defragger. Also the passive mode slowly moves files to the front of the disk as well (make sure directory consolidation is checked in settings).

Finally I actually did the shrink with a linux MEPIS boot disk using qparted, I am not sure if that can do better than the windows shrink or not.

Make sure to backup if you go this route, there is a small chance of loving it up this way!

Did that with a PerfectDisk trial, didn't seem to do anything. I'd really rather not spend $60 on another HD if possible. :smith:

ho mercy
Jul 8, 2006

I installed 7 on a separate partition but I want to run it as my sole operating system now. How can I delete the partition with Vista on it if it is the "System Partition?"

ho mercy
Jul 8, 2006

Factor Mystic posted:

Boot into 7, then delete the Vista partition?

The Windows partitioning software doesn't allow you to delete the system partition which is what the Vista partition is. I don't see any easy way of changing it.