Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Symon Lymon posted:

Trying to download and upgrade to 7100, having some issues.

With Firefox it takes me to the screen where it gives me a CD key and has a button for "Download." When I click download, it redirects me back to that same page with a different key. Repeat.

With Internet Explorer, I click "Download" and nothing happens at all.

With Google Chrome, I click "Download" and I see the green loading circle for infinity.

I have direct downloads on my site, downloaded them straight from Microsoft:
32 bit http://fishmech.net/7100.0.090421-1700_x86fre_client_en-us_retail_ultimate-grc1culfrer_en_dvd.iso
64 bit http://fishmech.net/7100.0.090421-1700_x64fre_client_en-us_retail_ultimate-grc1culxfrer_en_dvd.iso

Bobulus posted:

This thread is moving fast enough, so sorry if this has been asked, but:

Any clues to how to fix a weird cursor problem? I've already updated my graphic drivers (ati) as much as possible. It seems like it might be related to a dual-screen setup, so I'm worried that it won't get fixed before the launch, and it's driving me nuts.

Basically every so often (under half hour of general computer use), my cursor will become graphically-corrupted. It will still function fine, and moving it rapidly between my two screens will fix it, but it's really freaking annoying.

Anyone else running into this?

If you're still running 7100, try upgrading to one of the 72xx builds, they got all kinds of bugfixes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

MeramJert posted:

Well, I installed Win7 on my netbook today and I really like it. It would be perfect if only it had multiple desktops. So I came into the thread to ask but apparently this was discussed last page and goddammit how can windows still not have the ability to properly do multiple desktops, even a 3rd party utility.

Microsoft doesn't think they're worth implementing.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ilkhan posted:

I have 8GB of ram and still haven't seen any reason to re-enable my page file. Despite getting jumped on in here, unless I see a specific problem it is staying off.</challenge>

I always set it to sleep when closed if it was on battery and to do nothing when closed if plugged in. It isn't as specific as you want, but might try it.

There is absolutely no reason to turn it off unless you have severely limited disk space (like a 8 gb ssd or something like that). You may as well fray all the wires connected to your PC.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I don't think you can go from xp to w7 at all, but I could definitely be wrong. And I'm almost positive he couldn't do 32 to 64. Best bet would be to move the essential files to a friends computer, then just do a fresh install on his drive.

You can buy an upgrade license if you have Windows XP alreayd though, and I believe it does a clean install after preserving the XP install in windows.old

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Retrograde posted:

Is there any way to make ctrl-alt-del bring up task manager like xp did? I'm getting sick of the vista/7 lets black out brother screens and pause before bringing up that stupid menu where you select it from.

Nope, but you can bring it up with CTRL-SHIFT-ESC, which was actually introduced with XP.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

brc64 posted:

Quick question about XP Mode since I don't have the hardware to play with it on my system... does it provide an easy way to wipe/reinstall the base XP image it uses? Does it come preloaded, that is?

Yeah, the base image is preloaded, so if you back it up somewhere it can be dropped back in.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I am running build 7227 on one of my desktops and it works just fine with the RC keys (and fixed a number of bugs for me).

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Fina posted:

If I use an Windows 7 upgrade key, will my XP install and cd-key become 'invalid' and lose its Genuine Windows status?

No, there is no mechanism for this to happen.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ziir posted:

What are some other ways of freeing up disk space? I've already uninstalled useless windows features (like games) and turned off backup/restore.

Uninstall your programs? Delete your music/videos?

Buy a 0.5 terabyte hard drive for $80 http://www.google.com/product_url?q...AAA&gl=us&hl=en ?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ziir posted:

I have plenty of HDD on this laptop but seeing as how I'm just running the RC to try it out, I only partitioned 20 GB. I have about 6.4 GB left over after installing and deleting my backup images. It'll work as I don't plan on installing anything here and don't plan on using it for anything other than web browsing and chatting, but I was just trying to see if I could get more free space with what I have.

Your required minimum hard drive space for 7 is 15 gigabytes, according to Microsoft. There's not really anything you can remove.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
When I installed Vista as an upgrade over XP, I started the upgrade within Windows and it never asked me about the XP install's key, just the key for the upgrade copy of Vista. I imagine it'd be the same thing going from Vista to 7.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

TangyRaptor posted:

So I just installed 7100 (was on 7000) and now I'm having an issue with Firefox hanging for around 30 seconds every now and then. As far as I can tell, I've installed the same software with the exception of installing AVG 8.5 instead of NOD32 (license expired). I disabled the resident shield in AVG and I did not install the link checker but I'm still having the same issue. I've also deleted my profile, reinstalled Firefox and reinstalled my extensions. I'm using Firefox 3.5 and only extensions compatible with 3.5. Any ideas?

Edit: I've only notice it happen when I'm in Firefox but when it happens I can switch between applications but no other application responds either. Task manager also will not open until everything "unhangs"

Have you tried installing some of the 72xx builds?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

TangyRaptor posted:

I'm running Firefox 3.5.30729. I'm guessing that's RC3?

Can I upgrade to this? I just finished reinstalling all my apps, it would suck to do this when I don't even know if it will fix the issue.

Yes, you can upgrade, although it takes a good 15 minutes longer than a clean install. I had a bunch of weird problems in the RC build that the 72xx builds fixed.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

agonytuesday posted:

so I just installed the win7 RC and the installation made the windows.old folder with all of my old poo poo in it. my question is whether dragging program folders from the old Program Files (x86) to the new one will allow me to bypass installing all of my old programs, and allow them to still work. I was running the original win7 beta before, by the way.

all I need is a simple yes or no, unless the yes is complicated.
thanks

Did you upgrade or did you clan install? If you upgraded they're already in program files, otherwise, no it won't work.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

keratas posted:

Does anyone know if my Windows Vista Home Premium upgrade edition will qualify me for an upgrade to a Windows 7 edition? I'm not really too educated when it comes to operating systems.

Sorry to ask this, especially if it's already been answered but I don't have the time at the moment to read the thread for the answer.

If it doesn't , you only could have upgraded from XP, and XP qualifies for upgrade to 7.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Dogen posted:

When my content drive turns off I notice it can take about 10 or 15 seconds to play a song as it spins up the drive, which I can hear happening through the magic of interference in my front headphone jack.

That's just how it happens when hard drives spin down. You can either disable hard drives spinning down to save energy or you can set up some task that frequently accesses that one drive so it doesn't spin down.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ufarn posted:

I've got a router/modem from the ISP I'm trying to connect to. After some budging I can now connect to it wirelessly with a MacBook and iPhone. I can't, however, do so with my Windows 7 (7100) laptop, be it by cable or wirelessly. The kicker is that my ISP doesn't offer W7 support.

When I use "diagnose" on either, I'm usually prompted that neither have a "valid" IP configuration. Currently, their IPs are set to automatic. I got the impression by talking to hotline that Win7 didn't seem to pull an IP, whatever that means.

(Writing this post on an iPhone is torture)

Call up your ISP and tell them you run Vista. It's all the same networking stuff and it's not like they'll ever know.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Priz posted:

Installed Win7 64-bit in early May when the RC was released, ver 7100. Things have been running fine for a while... until the last day or so.

I noticed yesterday that when I'd download something with Firefox, watched the whole download meter run through and it'd complete, but the "open" and "open file location" were greyed out and I couldn't locate it. Upgraded to Firefox 3.5, problem fixed and I can download files again and they show up...

Tried downloading a few things today and I notice when the download completes, the desktop isn't refreshed and I only have the filename.part on there, I have to hit F5 to refresh the desktop to see the file. Two zip files I downloaded were empty. Any exe's I've downloaded all say they're not a valid win32 application.

I've also noticed that if I try to launch Bittorrent it says the file is not a valid torrent on anything I try to use it with.

I'm also having a weird quirk with the Zune software (I can download things with my Zune Pass, but if I try to buy anything, it refuses to download it and throws me a yellow exclamation point.) but that's probably something else entirely.

Any suggestions?

Codiusprime posted:

So I have been using W7 since before the official Beta, I am running 7100 now and for the most part things are running really well with just a few hiccups.

Every once in a while my internet will just cut out, I will still have access to my network but there will be a little ! next to the signal strength. This doesn't happen on any other computer in the apt.

I want to use windows backup to backup my pictures, music and documents. I configured it to look for that stuff on its own and hooked up my external hard drive. It successfully completed it once and ever since it get hung up about ten minutes in, will not do anything. I have tried reformatting the drive, I even used it to back up all my settings and documents (not using windows backup) when I reformatted the computer for 7100 and it worked fine.

This might be a FF3 problem but ever since I downloaded the latest version it crashes pretty regularly. Once it crashed when trying to go to myspace, another time when I tried to navigate to space.com from my RSS feed. Sometimes it just does it when I am reading something on the web, it is weird and annoying.

Other than that things have been going well, being poor I will not be able to purchase W7 when it comes out and am not looking forward to going back to Vista (its not that I don't like Vista, I love Vista, W7 is just so much better).

Both of you should try downloading a 72xx build (besides 7264 which is apparently poo poo). The 72xx builds have more fixes than the 7100 build.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Jammer Jones posted:

Before using W7 I was using SyncToy to back up files (photos as I take them and categorize them) and echo the changes onto my external HD. Is there anything similar to this on W7?

I just tried out Vista's SyncToy and it installs and runs fine on Windows 7.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Spatule posted:

How much ram do I need to make Windows decently fast ? 2, 3 or 4 gb ? It doesn't quite work with 1 as I currently have.

Every computer should have at least 2 GB now, and if you have the meager amount of money necessary to go beyond 2 there's no reason not to do it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

CitrusFrog posted:

Well, first of all, I went into services.msc and MSConfig and disabled an absolute shitload of superfluous and unnecessary services which were sucking up RAM and CPU time and now things seem to be running considerably better.

CitrusFrog posted:

Well it's not like I need the Bluetooth Support Service, Media Center Receiver, Windows Presentation Foundation, Quality Windows Audio Video Experience, the Remote Access poo poo, Telephony, Windows Error Reporting, Parental Controls or Smart Card support now, is it? :v:

These don't make sense. None of those should be running or using CPU time unless specifically inbvoked by other applications (except WPF which is vial for any .NET apps). Turning off Error Reporting is completely retarded in an unfinished OS and will never run and use up more than a few k in resources unless a program crashes.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Matlock posted:

RC1 x64 has been buggy as hell since I installed it.

I waited until the last day to install RC1 as Beta was expiring. The Beta was running perfectly.

Now my mute button lights up at all times unless a flash video is on screen and will not turn off otherwise. Sounds still play. Every few minutes, the mute button will turn off and an error ding will sound through the speakers.

Also, flash is straight-up wacky now: the only browser that lets me interact with flash related stuff outside of simple mouseclicks is IE8. Not only that, flash tends to lock up the browser for 2-3 seconds like Java loves to do on low-end machines.

What the hell? Why is RC1 somehow more buggy than the beta?

Have you tried upgrading to any post 7100 builds?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Matlock posted:

Re: Unruly - I think the relevant point is that the drivers worked properly with the beta. I'm confused as to why (I'm guessing sound?) drivers would magically stop working between builds.

Re: fishmech - I have not, as I'm not too keen on :filez:ing an operating system, even one that's pre-release. Doubly so because several 7 prerelease torrents out there had botnet/trojan infections.

Any well seeded torrent will be clean of Windows 7, and the 72xx builds fix a LOT of problems from the RC. IT's really not filez.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Spatule posted:

Which problems are solved ?

On my computer, a ton of crashing issues were solved, I was able to install the Zune software and Microsoft Office which were refusing to install on 7100 on this computer for some reason, and the UI's been tweaked a bit, it seems to be a little more polished. Currently I run 7227.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

OMGWTFJohnny posted:

Are the 72xx builds still "RC" style, in that they have the extended lifetime until June 2010 or whatever it is?

I've been having problems with my laptop blue screening on shut down, hibernate and sleep. I've searched around on the windows7 forums and I've seen others with this problem but never saw a solution, do you think upgrading to a 72xx build will fix this?

The 72xx builds all take the RC keys and expire at the same time as the RC.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Shaocaholica posted:

How does windows upgrade know you already own a previous version of windows if doing a clean install? For instance, if I already own Vista and purchase a copy of Win7 upgrade and decide to do a clean install, will the Win7 installer somehow require me to verify that I owned a previous copy of windows? Surely they enforce the lower price of the upgrade somehow.

You have to start the Upgrade install in a running copy of Windows XP or Vista. After it starts you can choose to wipe the computer and do a clean install.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Spatule posted:

You sure ? In the past it would just verify the previous media or serial number.

Microsoft changed the rules for 7.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Charles Martel posted:

Yes, which is why I'm waiting to buy a full OEM copy instead of the upgrade because installing an OS on top of ANOTHER OS kinda ruins the whole "squeaky-clean" feel of a re-format like I want.

You can use an upgrade disc to do a clean install, you just have to be able to start it off in the old os.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sardonik posted:

Can anybody confirm that if you buy and use the upgrade it forces you to use the same partition as your previous windows installation? My XP boot hard drive is a relic from the 90's, and I really would rather have it on one of my newer drives.

In that case would I have to get the full version so I could just install straight from boot and choose where I want it?

I'm thinking I should get the full version anyway though because I think I only have upgrade editions of windows all the way back to ME, and I don't relish the thought of having to do chain installs.

The upgrade lets you do a clean install on any hard drive the currently installed OS can see.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ExtremeODD posted:

I know you cannot upgrade from xp pro to win 7 ult but could a person upgrade from xp pro to vista ultimate to win 7 ultimate RC? Or is there any way to not reinstall programs going from xp, I only ask because Im dual booting and dont have the space to install everything 2x.

You can't have an upgrade licensed OS dual booting with the OS you upgraded from.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

xamphear posted:

Microsoft has to do this bizarre balancing act between the home customers and their corporate customers and while I'm sure it's difficult they do a pretty lovely job of it. Having a bunch of silly versions doesn't help matters either.

IF you go to a consumer electronics store like Best Buy, you see Home Premium and Ultimate. If you go to a business electronics/supply store like OfficeMax you see Home Premium, Business, and Ultimate. Sometimes you see Home Basic at those places, though rarely.

What's the problem with that? It's not like people actually go out and buy a new OS most of the time anyway, its mostly tech-savvy people who build their own computers who do that.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

url posted:

Same as, mainly due to being confused to gently caress as to what is actually happening.

MS site is saying order vista and get the upgrade version.
Amazon isn't doing the discount (.co.uk), I don't know if they ever were.
I can't be hosed to install vista to install 7. I'm on the RC.

I have a couple of clients on XP and office 200, they want to come forward to 7/2007.
Whats the best path for them.

Why the gently caress can't I buy ultimate. Its retarded unnecessary hoop jumping.
Excuse my frustration.

The best path to get to 7 from XP is to buy the 7 upgrade and follow the clean install process. Beforehand, make sure you run the files and settings transfer wizard and have it save to a network or external drive, so that when they reinstall their apps they have most of their settings kept.

It kinda sucks that you can't upgrade straight from XP to 7 but then again, it's been 8 years since XP came out. Windows 3.1 came out 9 years before XP, you can't directly upgrade from that. Windows 98 came out 9 years before Vista and you can't directly upgrade 98 to Vista.

You don't need Ultimate in all likelihood, Windows 7 Pro includes all the stuff that Home Premium has, unlike Vista it's a true superset. If you still want to pay extra for Ultimate you'll have to jump through hoops to get it, but noone really needs it in the first place.

edit: also, don't bother going to office 2007, office 2010 will be out soon enough.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jul 13, 2009

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

toxick posted:

As much as I hate Apple's dipshit propaganda, they do have a point about there being ONE version of OS X to buy, whereas MS has SIX (or whatever) versions of each Windows release. Wouldn't a version for home users and a version for business users be enough?

But that practically is all there is. Home Premium and Business/Pro are all the average person sees or uses. Noone sells Starter in the US, Home Basic practically only shows up on low-end computers that can't handle anything better, and Ultimate is basically the same thing as Plus! used to be, only incorporated into the OS instead of being a separate product. THe most versions of Windows you can reasonably expect to see on a shelf somewhere is 4: Home BAsic, Home Premium, Business, and Ultimate. And I think it's pretty obvious which is which, not to mention that most every store that sells windows has little booklets from Microsoft at the OS section that explain what the versions are, like they have for Office.

And there's two versions of OS X, OS X and OS X Server.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

1997 posted:

OS X Server is not available to the general public at Best Buy. It's incredibly stupid and inconvenient to have so many different versions of Windows, they really should narrow it down to 2-3.

If you go to BEst buy you can only get 2-3 versions of Windows already. Problem solved isn't it? IT's only terrible nerds online like you and me who give a gently caress about how many versions of Windows here are. XP had like 9 different versions.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Unexpected EOF posted:

Windows XP Starter Edition, for new computer users in developing countries
Windows XP Home Edition, for home desktops and laptops
Windows XP Home Edition N, as above, but without a default installation of Windows Media Player, as mandated by an EU ruling
Windows XP Professional, for business and power users (Version number: NT 5.1.2600)
Windows XP Professional N, as above, but without a default installation of Windows Media Player, as mandated by an EU ruling
Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, for PCs with x86-64 processors (based on Windows Server 2003)
Windows XP Tablet PC Edition, for notebooks with a touch screen or a pen-sensitive screen
Windows XP Media Center Edition for desktops and notebooks with an emphasis on audio, video, and PVR capability. There are four versions:
o Windows XP Media Center Edition
o Windows XP Media Center Edition 2003
o Windows XP Media Center Edition 2004
o Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
Windows XP 64-bit Edition
You forgot Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PCs and XP Embedded, both of which are XP.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mr. Fix It posted:

Actually, that's not what the EU told Microsoft to do. They probably would have gone with MS bundling Opera and other browsers with 7, but Microsoft decided to have none of that and gently caress over everyone.

There's really no legal basis to force one computer company to bundle someone else's product, in Europe or otherwise. That's why Microsoft decided to remove the browser in Europe.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mr. Fix It posted:

Isn't that for a judge to decide?

No, that's more of a legislative issue, particularly in the EU's system.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

zapateria posted:

I hope this hasn't been asked a thousand times, but if you install the Windows 7 Ultimate version, is it possible to use a Volume License Key (for Enterprise) since it's practically the same version?

Probably not. All Vista/7 DVDs already contain the files for every version of the OS that is the same architcture (that is x64 vs x86) though, so you should be able to install Enterprise from any dvd, even Home Basic, with a valid key.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

smug forum rear end in a top hat posted:

I'm trying to achieve a more compact start menu, so I've removed all of the program links. In XP this would shrink the start menu down, but here, the start menu is still huge with a lot of (ugly) empty space. Anyone ever notice this or know of a fix?

I don't believe there's a way to really shrink it, but if you uncheck "Use large icons" in Taskbar and Start Menu Properties > Start Menu > Customize... you get a smaller version:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Dameius posted:

Is that Chips Challenge?

Yes, a shame that Vista x86 and 7 x86 won't use 16 bit icons even though they run 16 bit programs.