Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«229 »
orly
Oct 2, 2005

For anyone else still hung on the piracy "debate" that happened in this thread:

Pretty much anyone advocating more restrictions in order to stop "piracy" (which is a pretty drat nebulous and loaded word itself) needs to remove head from rear end. It's not going to happen. Games WILL be pirated regardless of DRM---in many ways it's a loving consequence of fundamental theories of computation. Sit the gently caress down, and read this article, perhaps 3 times over.

http://insomnia.ac/commentary/pc_game_piracy/

Jon Rose posted:

So the final point isnít that the issue of piracy should be blown off; itís that the industry blows it off in its own self-serving way. The thing that usually gets steamrolled over every time some fuckwit developer opens his bitch-hole is that there might just be several factors beyond ďBLAH PEOPLE ARE BAD!Ē. That whole line of thinking is just pointlessly cynical. Itís too easy and non-productive an answer, and to my eye it borders on projection: the industry is greedy and amoral, willing to steal anything that isnít nailed down with a minimum of effort (See: EULAs), so everyone else must be too.

They like to act like they get personally screwed, and now theyíre trying to play that angle with customers who, for years, have had to deal with an industry that will try to lie to us as much as they can. System requirements? Vital information; total lies. The marketing arms do their very best to gently caress with the way games are reviewed, which can only mean that the industry is actively trying to rip us off. Yet somehow, they donít have the time ó or the balls ó to raise a fuss on that issue. So, weíre on our own facing a constant onslaught of bullshit from the very people weíre trying to give our money to. But those who download a game because they canít trust reviews anymore? Man, theyíre some immoral bastards.

Weíre supposed to have sympathy for them too, even though by their own arguments they deserve to die off. Piracy is killing the PC market, but the response to any legitimate complaint is to stop buying PC games if we donít like it. If we act rationally and refuse to throw the baby out with the bathwater and download a game, weíre killing them. What would they rather have us do? ďTalk with our walletsĒ and not play the games at all, and certainly donít buy them. Which would also kill the industry, but thatís somehow the more moral solution. Either way the industry is basically daring us to kill it.

Most people are talking with their wallets, which is why the market is shrinking. And what message does the industry take from that? That they should do something different? Nope. The message is that they should simply move to consoles due to a shrinking market they surely canít be responsible for. So even when we do follow the ďmoralĒ way, nothing loving changes. So the decision, from our view, is between "No Games, Dead Industry" and "Pirate Games, Dead Industry".

In other words, if the industry isnít going to get the message no matter what we do and is going to die either way, why should we deny ourselves the few good games that get released? Should I feel sorry for Ken Levine not getting paid for a good game? Nope. The industry doesnít care about loving us over in the name of unproven piracy damages, so I donít see why we should care if a few decent developers get crushed in the name of taking down an industry that could not possibly care less about doing proper business with us.

In the end, I donít think piracy magically exists on its own as a manifestation of mankindís nature or any such tripe. I think itís largely created by a failure to adequately meet demand. If anything, piracy indicates a continued interest in games that are otherwise inaccessible for whatever reason, in most cases due to excessive prices. Thatís the real problem to tackle, but again people seem more interested in using copy protection or DRM to try and force the markets to do things their way, even though everyone will admit that itís only a matter of time before any DRM or CP is cracked and useless. You can bitch all you want about only being able to sell a game in China for $15 instead of $50-$100 (cry me a river, by the way), or you can shut the gently caress up and actually deal with the market situations. Itís called business. Did no one go over this in those University of Phoenix Online classes from which the industryís CEOs got their degrees?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianPhillips
May 10, 2006

Forever Zero posted:

It shoots too slowly. That is the problem. The only reason you think it is overpowered is because everyone uses it. If people all used something different, you would think something else was overpowered.

You are so wrong it hurts. Its rate of fire doesn't mean poo poo. You can snipe with that thing without breaking a sweat and up close it's devastating.

e: And the Kar98 is no different then any of the other bolt actions really. Shoot them in the center mass and they'll all bring them down.

de: Actually looks like the stomach is only 1.1. When I said that I was thinking chest and above anyway.

BrianPhillips fucked around with this message at 02:35 on May 24, 2009

orly
Oct 2, 2005

Forever Zero posted:

Also, why do people always try to have the PC/console debate? Sure it is easier to aim with a mouse than a stick, but no one wants to pay thousands to get the same capacity to play a game when they can buy a $300-$400 console?

Thousands? Complete, utter bullshit. Try $600-$700 for a system that will run every current game, along with the capability to do orders of magnitude more things than a "$300-$400" (+plus heavily marked up accessories) console.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Thousands? Get real.

orly
Oct 2, 2005

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

They still have modding on consoles, in a limited sense at least right now, so there's no reason to think modding couldn't still continue with some sort of system in place.

Oh wow. I missed this earlier. No no no. Modding only flourished because it grew in a very specific environment. This environment, among other things, consisted of freely modifiable game files, freely available tools, and game components that were easy to reverse engineer, along with an intellectually curious community (incidentally, one which I see is dwindling fast given the increasingly console-centric climate).

In fact, if given the chance to impose more restrictive "protection" on games, you can bet your rear end they would move to take out modding. Why let the player get possibly more enjoyment out of the game through the community when you could be dripping expansions and DLC to them and calling them "mods"?

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I don't have the answers, I'm just saying it has to change to being more closed off and secure because what they're doing now ain't working at all.

Yes; you don't have the answers, so why embarass yourself by acting like you're the authority on what needs to be done?

Forever Zero
Apr 29, 2007
DUMB AS ROCKS

orly posted:

Thousands? Complete, utter bullshit. Try $600-$700 for a system that will run every current game, along with the capability to do orders of magnitude more things than a "$300-$400" (+plus heavily marked up accessories) console.

Now maybe, but back when Doom 3 came out, one needed the highest of the high PCs were needed to display it at the best. Whatever, PC gaming is fine. If you build the PC it will be cheaper, but most people can't and just buy one from the store, those will cost $1000+ for a high-end model.

Also, you can't snipe with the MP40. You do realize that in the maps, your only a few hundred yards apart from anyone at the most. Bullets don't just disappear after a few feet like a lot of games spoil you to believe . The only reason I bring up the Kar98 is because it has the best iron sights. The Pphs rips the MP40 up close and the 43 kills it from far away.

Always Shirtless
Oct 14, 2006

by Fistgrrl

Forever Zero posted:

Now maybe, but back when Doom 3 came out, one needed the highest of the high PCs were needed to display it at the best. Whatever, PC gaming is fine. If you build the PC it will be cheaper, but most people can't and just buy one from the store, those will cost $1000+ for a high-end model.

literally anyone can build a computer there are a million guides and its trivial

SexyGoofTroopGrl
Jun 22, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Forever Zero posted:

It shoots too slowly. That is the problem. The only reason you think it is overpowered is because everyone uses it. If people all used something different, you would think something else was overpowered.

sry bro, MP40 with dual mag + stopping power + steady aim is seriously unstoppable.
I'm not particularly good at the game, and I got to prestige 3 with a 1.35 k/d ratio, and I pretty much exclusively used the MP40 for all three of those prestiges. My friend who is far better than me did the same thing and has like a 1.75 k/d and is prestige 4. It is seriously BROKEN. The only reason to use another gun is to spice up the game or if you're going to snipe. If you don't believe this than you haven't played the game enough.

lil sartre
Feb 12, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Forever Zero posted:

Also, why do people always try to have the PC/console debate? Sure it is easier to aim with a mouse than a stick, but no one wants to pay thousands to get the same capacity to play a game when they can buy a $300-$400 console?

Kinda late to reply but you can play COD4 at max settings with a $400-500 computer, hth
edit: beaten

NESguerilla posted:

Absolutely. The balance and the variety are nearly perfect. I almost always used stealth builds and I thought it was amazing how well you can play a stealth character in that game without any cheap gimmicks.

Yea, stealth builds seem better to me too, right now I'm having fun with a silenced skorpion, UAV jammer and extreme conditioning build and I get ridiculous k/d ratios like 5:1. And I'm usually terrible at online shooters, the only game I used to be really good was Urban Terror.

lil sartre fucked around with this message at 08:19 on May 24, 2009

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

lil sartre posted:

Kinda late to reply but you can play COD4 at max settings with a $400-500 computer, hth
edit: beaten

And then a good 8-16 months later your rig is loving outdated and you have to add more memory and pickup a new graphics card.

Don't get me wrong, I love PC's. Hell I probably put more time into CoD1 and CoD:UO on the PC than I have in CoD4 on the 360, but having to incessantly update your PC gets extremely loving old after a while. I'm in school right now and would much rather spend money on books, at a bar or on a woman before I'd want to drop it on a new video card just so I can play CoD6 at max specs.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

fennesz posted:

And then a good 8-16 months later your rig is loving outdated and you have to add more memory and pickup a new graphics card.

I really hate beating this dead horse in every loving thread it pops up in but in no way 8 months later your technology is horribly outdated. New technology comes out that is faster but rarely is it ground breaking stuff.

You know how consoles have a life span of 4 to 5 years before new ones heeeeeyyyyyy where's this argument heading??

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Cheese Wheels posted:

I really hate beating this dead horse in every loving thread it pops up in but in no way 8 months later your technology is horribly outdated. New technology comes out that is faster but rarely is it ground breaking stuff.

You know how consoles have a life span of 4 to 5 years before new ones heeeeeyyyyyy where's this argument heading??

:deadhorse:

How frequently can you play brand spankin' new games 5 years after you bought your 1337 $500 gaming rig, brah? Again, I absolutely love PC shooters, but the more I play with goons on the 360 the more I realize I'd ditch my mouse and keyboard any day of the loving week to play with some of these mother fuckers :iamafag:

Anyway, I was really hoping someone would have popped a leaked video of the trailer airing tonight. Waiting sucks.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters

Cheese Wheels posted:

5 years is a long time?

GC_ChrisReeves
Dec 16, 2004

"You're going to be...amazing."

fennesz posted:

No, I think you'll find that you don't.

edit: Brah.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Well, recently I picked up a 2.3GHz Intel Core 2 Quad w/ mobo, a PNY Geforce 9800 GT with a gig of onboard memory. I have 2 gigs of ram, a decent speed hard drive, I run XP Pro. For me, this 500 dollar upgrade was huge (I'm sure you'll find this laughable, by now).

I can run most games that have appeared on console fine, better than in most cases, but it's still frustrating that Crysis is as big a pain in the rear end to run for me as ever, and for some reason, Company of Heroes is running no better than when I had my dual core 2.8 GHz proc with a 7950 GTX. Mirror's Edge also has TERRIBLE framerates during sections with lots of phys-x related objects being rendered (learned recently that it is the fault of having Mass Effect installed, a game that uses Phys-x...somehow. Not in ways I can tell other than it apparently fucks with Phys-x files in a way that requires me to uninstall phys-x and reinstall it so I can run Mirror's Edge). My biggest problem is that for some reason, Call of Duty 4 just arbitrarily stopped working. As in, not even loading, I get a crash on the singleplayer and multiplayer exe's each time. I have no idea what or why this started, the only new updates I have received were some updates to windows itself, and only CoD 4 has been affected.

There are many assorted bugs that come up when playing most of my games, but when things work, they work great. I know I have problems with the set up, so I don't need to be insulted about how lovely it really is or whatever, I'm sure there are processes I could undertake that would help me streamline my system overall and let it run even better and more reliably in all circumstances, and I certainly could prolly stand to move up to Vista, or grab a second video card for SLI and some more ram. Money is a little tight atm, though.

I love my PC, I really do. If I didn't, I wouldn't have stuck to PC gaming for years and years, even though I have always loved consoles, and started gaming on consoles.

For all of the power and versatility of my PC and other PC's, they are not as easy to use, build, or maintain as some people suggest. You do have to care more for the machine, and there are times where poo poo just happens that you did not expect, or could not predict, and can be much more frustrating to deal with. There is a place in gaming for consoles, and I don't see how they will be going away any time soon. Ease of use, a high guarantee that the game will work with the system without any real hardware or software conflicts, and you still get some nice graphics.

There is no denying that PC's are definitely the powerhouse in gaming, but consoles do offer stability and they provide control schemes that, believe it or not, people do enjoy and can even prefer over the mouse and keyboard.

PC gaming does face the upgrade wall more often historically, if you really aim for peak performance, but it is scalable. The question is weather or not you like running games at less than what the box shows you, and if you are willing to make that happen. Also, in my experience PC games require many more fixes after release, and some of those bugs you wait on can be crippling at worst. I think the only console game I know of that got flat out broken from a patch is Ninja Gaiden 2 on the 360. PC games have a history of having some bugs fixed while newer ones get revealed that may or may not affect you based on hardware or in my case with Mass Effect/Mirror's Edge, other software/games. Where I have rarely had a console game up and completely fail to even work, even when my hardware is checking out okay, I've had PC games just up and poo poo the bed for no reason that i can personally discern.

There are pros and cons to both. Pretending that either side doesn't have their own fair share of issues, or have such great pros that the cons don't exist is just wrong.

lil sartre
Feb 12, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

fivegears4reverse posted:

Well, that 2.3GHz CPU will hold you back in RTS games, Crysis, TF2 or other CPU intensive games, even if it's a quad. Also most games don't benefit from a quad (i.e Crysis) so you won't see a big difference. What you must do is overclock that CPU to at least 3 GHz, these days overclocking is so easy a 10yr old girl could do it, you'll find plenty of guides on the internet on how to do that (the oc, not the 10yr old girl).
Maybe you would have gotten a better deal if you'd bought an AMD Phenom 2, they're cheaper and just as good as the intel quads (except i7), but now you'll have to work with what you have.
Also that videocard is just a rebranded 8800GT and the 1GB framebuffer doesn't help that much, a HD4770 would have been cheaper and way better (especially with AA enabled). Now you could overclock the videocard too to get some more performance, use riva tuner for that, it's really easy.

jeffLebowski
Mar 6, 2006

Obviously, you're not a golfer.

What the gently caress is this PC/Console console-warrior poo poo? I saw a bunch of replies to this thread and thought the trailer had leaked. Consoles versions sell way more copies so they'll be the base version for the foreseeable future, PC gamers like PC games, the game is being released on both... play the version you prefer. Argument solved. Can we talk about the loving game now?

jeffLebowski fucked around with this message at 13:40 on May 24, 2009

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

fivegears4reverse posted:

(learned recently that it is the fault of having Mass Effect installed, a game that uses Phys-x...somehow. Not in ways I can tell other than it apparently fucks with Phys-x files in a way that requires me to uninstall phys-x and reinstall it so I can run Mirror's Edge).

Thats some dumbass Physx bug thats been around for months and they still havent fixed it. Something to do with how if you play one game with Physx you can only play that one game with it enabled or it'll gently caress the framerate in other games, I ran into the same problem with Mirror's Edge and did some googling and it turned out Alpha Prime uses it and thats why it had such a problem for me

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

I came into this thread to read about Modern Warfare 2 and poo poo that's going on with that. Why are people debating PCs and consoles? Just play the game on the system you want to play it on.

Kali11324
Dec 8, 2004

This space intentionally left blank

Nasam posted:

I came into this thread to read about Modern Warfare 2 and poo poo that's going on with that. Why are people debating PCs and consoles? Just play the game on the system you want to play it on.

Seriously, let me go back to a question I posted previously that never got addressed:

In the GI interview one of the developers talked about making gamers famous for their achievements and said that they did it in a previous game but it didn't work as well. Anyone know what he was referring too?

They also talked a lot about the community and stuff like that. I would love to see the type of support that bungie.net provides for Halo 3.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Wasn't CoD4 mostly abandoned? I remember they did maybe 1 or possibly 2 patches, 1 playlist update and a map pack and that was it.

I stopped playing CoD4 for a while, mainly because it seemed that IW had given up on supporting the game. Did they actually start back up again?

Kali11324
Dec 8, 2004

This space intentionally left blank

Gamers Daily News posted:

Full Length Trailer for Modern Warfare 2 to Debut on TV

Activision and Infinity has just released a statement about Modern Warfare 2.

The first full length trailer for Modern Warfare 2 will be showing this Sunday, May 24th on TNT during the NBA Eastern Conference Finals. Tip off for the game is 5:30 pm EST. After the world premier they will be posting more information about the game on the official website, https://www.modernwarfare2.com

Modern Warfare 2 is scheduled to be released on November 10th, on the PS 3, Xbox 360 and PC.
http://www.gamersdailynews.com/stor...ebut-on-TV.html

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I think someone was irked that the ad was during the finals and they hated watching sports -- I ask why would you?

Everyone knows that MW2 spot is going to be on Youtube literally as fast as Youtube processing time allows

Zilduar
Feb 10, 2005

Let's jam.

Psion posted:

I think someone was irked that the ad was during the finals and they hated watching sports -- I ask why would you?

Everyone knows that MW2 spot is going to be on Youtube literally as fast as Youtube processing time allows

It's also probably going to be up on the new website as well. It's not like this is the only time they're going to be showing it, they just have a deal with the NBA to show it during the finals.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

We've never been into punk. It was too traditional.

Ddraig posted:

Wasn't CoD4 mostly abandoned? I remember they did maybe 1 or possibly 2 patches, 1 playlist update and a map pack and that was it.

I stopped playing CoD4 for a while, mainly because it seemed that IW had given up on supporting the game. Did they actually start back up again?

Yes that was my one beef with the game. Hopefully they learned their lesson and will release a solid amount of content for MW2.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!

I thought the reason it was "abandoned" was two fold.

1) Because Microsoft charges an arm and a leg to release content on XBOX Live.
2) Getting the new content certified for release is also a pain in the rear end.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Halo is still heavily supported and Bungie is no longer supported by Microsoft. Gears of War 2 has had a ton of new content and patches and they've never been affiliated with Microsoft

That excuse sounds like a ton of poo poo. Same with Valve.

There's also Burnout Paradise that has had a ton of support. It's a multi platform title aswell.

3 DONG HORSE
May 21, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I would like to experience a different WMD this time.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Forever Zero posted:

Seriously, Rainbow Six Vegas 2 is the only game that ever got shotguns right, ever. Also, the M16 isn't overpowered like everyone says it is. It is the "default" gun. It takes six shots to kill someone,

I know this is a few pages back, but you're just wrong. The M16 deals 40-30 damage per round, which means that it deals exactly the same damage as the G3, MP44, and AK-47. One burst with Stopping Power at any range is lethal if all three bullets hit.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

We all got it coming, kid

Promoted Pawn posted:

The M16 deals 40-30 damage per round, which means that it deals exactly the same damage as the G3, MP44, and AK-47.

This... this makes absolutely no sense at all

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

Promoted Pawn posted:

I know this is a few pages back, but you're just wrong. The M16 deals 40-30 damage per round, which means that it deals exactly the same damage as the G3, MP44, and AK-47. One burst with Stopping Power at any range is lethal if all three bullets hit.

While it is true that one burst(3 bullets) from an M16 with stopping power is a kill, and I think is technically the strongest gun per bullet in COD4, it's drawback is the ROF and its unwieldliness since its a fairly big gun. Having Juggernaut negates the 1-shot kill as well, so it's not even a guarantee that everyone you shoot with this setup will go down. It's pretty much a balanced gun overall, and just because its abilities become a lot better with the addition of a Perk doesn't mean its overpowered.

EDIT: I know its supposed to be realistic, but I really wish that the RPGs in MW2 shoot at least a LITTLE straighter. Seeing where I aim it and where it hits is pretty ridiculous sometimes.

Vietnamwees fucked around with this message at 01:55 on May 25, 2009

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

Vietnamwees posted:

EDIT: I know its supposed to be realistic, but I really wish that the RPGs in MW2 shoot at least a LITTLE straighter. Seeing where I am it and where it hits is pretty ridiculous sometimes.

Just for shits and giggles, since I otherwise hate the map, I only use the RPG as a CQB weapon on Vacant. The key is to not aim at all, just sort of have the enemy in the middle of the screen and bang on that right trigger. With Juggernaut they won't be able to kill you before you squeeze off the shot.

It is devastatingly effective and annoys the poo poo out of the enemy.

theTaxidermy
Jan 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

The trailer's up on the official website.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Capn Beeb posted:

This... this makes absolutely no sense at all

What doesn't make sense about it? All of those guns deal 40 damage up to 1500 units, gradually drop to 30 in the 1500-2000 range, then deal 30 damage past that. The AK-47 changes to 40-20 with a dot sight or silencer (and is the only weapon that does that), but it's base damage is 40-30. Distance units in this game are very small, the knife has a range of 64 for the slice and 128 for the stab.

Or were you referring to all those weapons being wildly different in real life? If so, it's just a game Beeb .

Vietnamwees posted:

While it is true that one burst(3 bullets) from an M16 with stopping power is a kill, and I think is technically the strongest gun per bullet in COD4, it's drawback is the ROF and its unwieldliness since its a fairly big gun.

The ROF isn't a big deal if you're a careful aimer. While it's overall rate of fire is ~450 RPM, a single burst comes out at 925 RPM (same speed as the SAW and P90). Since that single burst can be lethal at almost any range (at extreme ranges even modest recoil makes it impossible), as long as you kill on the first shot you never have to worry about it. As far as it being a big gun, I'm confused. It has the same handling characteristics as any other assault rifle.

Also, the highest damage-per-round weapon in the game is the W1200. The shotguns shoot 8 pellets per round, and the W1200 has a damage profile of 40-10 per pellet as opposed to the M1014's 30-10. At a distance of 300 units or less, and if you hit with all 8 pellets, the W1200 will deal 320 base damage per round.

If you don't count the shotguns, the highest damage-per-round gun is the M40A3 with an ACOG. All the snipers deal 70 base damage, but the M40 ACOG for some reason is 75. Stopping Power turns that into 102 damage, and a Stopping Power head/neckshot is 153. They're supposed to be fixing that for MW2.

edit:

theTaxidermy posted:

Thanks for the heads up, downloading it now!

Promoted Pawn fucked around with this message at 02:13 on May 25, 2009

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

theTaxidermy posted:

Yeaaaaaaaah BOYYEEEEEEEE!

Scarf Ace
Jul 20, 2006

keep it clean

theTaxidermy posted:

Oh poo poo yes. Here's the link btw http://modernwarfare2.infinityward.com/

I spotted a "checkpoint reached" in there somewhere

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Games gonna own.

omlette
Jan 7, 2005

Jack Tretton - Putting your $599 to good use

Holy poo poo, by the end of this trailer I was grinning. The locations seem much more interesting this time around. I think they've got another hit on their hands.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Fuuuuuuu...

It looked to me like the Loyalists betrayed the Brits during the winter airbase mission?. Anyways, that extraction was as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OptimistPrime
Jul 18, 2008

Wow, the locations look interesting.

Also, the way people were moving and using knives/climbing equipment/etc., are they going to be reworking the melee or will that just be "cool stuff that other people do in cutscenes"?

«229 »