Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
One of the perks I'm looking for (At least in Multi player) is an extended mag. Oh, and more stuff with pistols, like the accomplishments and more pistol selections, maybe even some perks to revolve around them. They focused so much on the rifles that pistols kind of seem like an afterthought in Multi Player. Also curious if they'll include the P90, and if they will modify it at all, seeing as there is so much controversy over that gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

kagebot posted:

I do agree with you 100% about consoles dominating sales.
People paying $10 on consoles for what is free on PC is a no-brainer from a business standpoint.

All games on the PS3 are free to play online, including Cod4.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I always understood that having 5 custom classes(and the 5 starter ones-I'm pretty sure nobody PREFERS to use them, but they're still there) is just so you have "your own" class for each of the the 5 weapon classes, and was not intended so you can have a bunch of super-niche classes for exactly one kind of situation. If the Developers wanted that, then they would just let us actually change attributes to the classes in the middle of a game. Maybe we should consider ourselves lucky that we can even change our loadouts midgame at all.

And can we just stop the PC vs. Console debate already? It's getting old and no one gives a poo poo.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Aliginge posted:

Pretty sure no one is referring to the Perk slots, rather the number of custom loadout profiles available for online play. I'd be interested in what perks they add for MW2 though.

Having 5 custom classes is nothing more than a completely arbitrary number of custom slots that IW went with.

There is nothing particularly balancing about not having access to a class setup that could give you an advantage in a particular map/situation, just the luck of the draw if you have it set up already in one of your existing custom slots. If there were 20 or 50 custom slots and everybody had their preferred custom setups available just a respawn away then the game wouldn't be any different in the slightest. Upon new maps, I disconnect, set up weapon configs and /reconnect all the time, you still need to be good* to make use of the right class in the right situation. Plus it's not like only one player gets the benefit of 50 custom slots, everyone does, therefore, it's still balanced.

* at chucking 3x frag as soon as you spawn.

Well that's just one of the differences between PC and Consoles, because you can't just disconnect and reconnect on Console(At least not with any guarantee you'll reconnect to the same game)

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Promoted Pawn posted:

I know this is a few pages back, but you're just wrong. The M16 deals 40-30 damage per round, which means that it deals exactly the same damage as the G3, MP44, and AK-47. One burst with Stopping Power at any range is lethal if all three bullets hit.

While it is true that one burst(3 bullets) from an M16 with stopping power is a kill, and I think is technically the strongest gun per bullet in COD4, it's drawback is the ROF and its unwieldliness since its a fairly big gun. Having Juggernaut negates the 1-shot kill as well, so it's not even a guarantee that everyone you shoot with this setup will go down. It's pretty much a balanced gun overall, and just because its abilities become a lot better with the addition of a Perk doesn't mean its overpowered.

EDIT: I know its supposed to be realistic, but I really wish that the RPGs in MW2 shoot at least a LITTLE straighter. Seeing where I aim it and where it hits is pretty ridiculous sometimes.

Vietnamwees fucked around with this message at 02:55 on May 25, 2009

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

SpookyLizard posted:

Also, I hope they make it so that in MW2 the head is always an instant kill. Regardless of gun, stopping power or juggernaut.

It isn't already? I don't think I've ever noticed. And in most situation, I only see people do the "jump and shoot" when they know someone is hiding in a corner somewhere prone, and they jump out of the corner to shoot them, because the assumption is the prone person is aiming their gun, so its hard for them to aim up quickly. I don't even think it's ergonomically viable otherwise(PS3 player here) because you have switch your thumb between X and the right joystick. It would make them too slow to respond to anything else.

As for PC players, good luck with the people jumping and aiming at the same time.

Vietnamwees fucked around with this message at 20:37 on May 27, 2009

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I'm actually pretty surprised at all the talk of the M16 being too strong.

-It still doesn't kill in one shot, and the only way it does it is if you have Stopping Power. The M16 sights don't move if you aim it down, correct? That's just the advantage of burst fire since its inherently more accurate, AND aiming down. Don't all sights go to exactly where they were before if you give it enough time anyway?. Are you guys really going to say that because I decide to use a large(therefore making me slower), burst fire(kinda bad for close quarters) gun with Stopping Power(which I have to use a Perk slot to get) as a tradeoff for being able to get a 1-shot kill(only if they don't have Juggernaut) that the gun is overpowered, even though I pay the cost in being disadvantaged in other areas? You guys talk as if an advantage in one area doesn't lead to a disadvantage in another, in order to make a class that is really good at one thing, its usually pretty lovely in others. I mean try making a Specialized class for anything else in this game, and you'll see the same kind of trade-offs.

-As far as grenades go, if they made the grenade throwback animation faster, people would stand a better chance at throwing them back, since that feature is essentially useless now. That and/or limit the amount of time you can cook a grenade to just 1 or 2 seconds.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
OK, well Promoted Pawn has me at a disadvantage here since he seem to know more about the technical aspects of MP than I do; all my knowledge is just based on observations during gameplay.

-I was under the impression that no gun was a one-bullet kill by itself, and that only the M16 could do it with Stopping Power, and it was technically not a one bullet kill, but a 1 burst kill. In fact I thought that was the whole point of putting Stopping Power on an M16. Someone even mentioned getting 1-burst kills with a silenced M16, which I agree is ridiculous. Headshots are a completely different story though , because isn't a headshot, no matter what gun or perks, a kill? I was under the impression that even a silenced pistol could kill in one shot if you get the head.

-Someone said earlier that when you aim down the M16 and shoot it, the sights go back to exactly where they were before, and I was responding that all the guns do that anyway, and is pretty much the point of aiming a gun down in the first place. Well that and being able to see farther.

-When I said slower, I meant in comparison to SMGs, but thinking about it now, pretty much everyone uses an Assault Rifle anyway, so I guess it doesn't really affect how fast you move anyway.

-Stopping Power is a drawback in that you don't have UAV Jammer, so intelligently-timed radar scans can show where you are ALL the time, making you more susceptible to being ambushed or surprised. No Juggernaut also compounds the being screwed in close encounters/ambush situation. No Martyrdom and no Last Stand also prevents me from really doing anything after being surprised and killed.

And if they did allow tweaking of loadouts midgame, then there would be no point of Custom Slots anymore. What's the point of having 5 Customs slots if you literally have every loadout possible available to you in the middle of a game?

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
The Ak-74U is a great gun for CQB, the kick is fairly manageable, and the aim-down mobility is great since its an SMG. With stopping power, the gun has always been a beast for me, but I was curious about something. If I use a AK-74U with a silencer AND stopping power, how strong would it be? I know the two are somewhat counter-intuitive, but would the silencer and and Stopping Power completely cancel each other out, or would the bullets do slightly more damage than normal, along with being unseen by radar?

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

slovach posted:

I do agree with you that it looks and sounds better than the M4 but ugh I can't bring myself to use it outside of picking it up because ughghgh the NUMBERSSS :(

The G36c is SMG, so you get better movement when compared to the M4.:science:

Oh nevermind, I just looked it up and it seems I am wrong. I guess from a numbers perspective, there's no reason to use the G36c over the M4 then.

Vietnamwees fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jul 26, 2009

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
loving awesome video. I definitely want to pre-order this now. Customizing/more rewards past 7 kills should be wicked bad. I get the feeling that you'll control the AC-130 with the remote control on the field. If that's true, then going after them on the field sounds like the best way to deal with the AC-130.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

SpookyLizard posted:

If you're lucky and the other team is retarded and doesn't shoot it down in the first ten seconds it's on the map.

Players focused on looking at the sky, possibly with an RPG=Easy up close kill

Most of the time I find it ridiculously hard to use an RPG against a helicopter because of the random RPG curving, and how high it is from the ground sometimes. I don't even bother with RPGs anymore, and just try to take it down with whatever gun I have.

I'm calling a limited time UAV Jammer as one of the killstreak perks right now.

Hopefully you'll be able to customize your killstreak for each class you setup in MP.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Cheese Wheels posted:

They should have one of the 11 killstreak perks be a suicide bomber jacket. Huge explosion, but will end your streak as well.

This, or something very similar to this would be pretty awesome/fun.

Here's to hoping they're doing more for grenades besides the semtex. A White Phosphorus grenade could be pretty cool.

Also, sorry if this was covered before, but does anyone know what pistols are going to be in the game? Hoping for more variety in that respect as well.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Not sure whether this issue is from the PSN network or from COD4 multiplayer system, but I hope that it gets better/easier to play MW2 with friends online. Sending party invites for COD4 on the PSN network seems screwy sometimes, and every time a lobby closes, I have to party up with my friends all over again. Sometimes when my party joins a lobby, not all of us get in because it is full.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Wendow posted:

Just thought I'd ask this here since most of you probably have COD4. Me and my roommates have 3 PS3s total (once they're delivered). Is it possible to play together online? I've tried googling and it looked like a bunch of people had problems with multiple PS3s playing together for COD4, but no resolutions. Does anyone know?

I don't know if its because of the PSN or how COD4 handles parties for MP, but for me, trying to play COD4 with my friends always has SOME problem. Sometimes my friends can't connect to my party, and it gives a vague/no reason at all, but it works the other way around. When Lobbies close, it always breaks the party up(If I wanted to leave the party, I'd have done it on my own, damnit), sometimes only some people in a party can join a game/lobby, and others are kicked out. I really hope they fix these problems for MW2 over the PSN, and not just port over the same MP system from COD4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I just saw a commercial for MW2 doing an advertisement where if you visit a website, you can win an ATV, a Hummer, and some other outdoor excursion vehicle if you pre order through Gamestop AND visit the website before 11:10:09 Am and PM every day.. Anyone else see this, and get the other details of the promotion?

https://www.surpriseattack.com