Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
jeffLebowski
Mar 6, 2006

Obviously, you're not a golfer.

Vietnamwees posted:

One of the perks I'm looking for (At least in Multi player) is an extended mag. Oh, and more stuff with pistols, like the accomplishments and more pistol selections, maybe even some perks to revolve around them. They focused so much on the rifles that pistols kind of seem like an afterthought in Multi Player. Also curious if they'll include the P90, and if they will modify it at all, seeing as there is so much controversy over that gun.

The pistols feel really good in CoD4. I wish you had a dedicated pistol slot. Why does taking a .45 mean I have to put down an assault rifle?

Also, has anyone else noticed the AI animation for pistol transitioning? Every once in a while both friendlies and hostiles will run a clip dry on their primary weapon, do a bad rear end pistol transition, and keep shooting. It's pretty much the coolest thing in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeffLebowski
Mar 6, 2006

What the gently caress is this PC/Console console-warrior poo poo? I saw a bunch of replies to this thread and thought the trailer had leaked. Consoles versions sell way more copies so they'll be the base version for the foreseeable future, PC gamers like PC games, the game is being released on both... play the version you prefer. Argument solved. Can we talk about the loving game now?

jeffLebowski fucked around with this message at 14:40 on May 24, 2009

jeffLebowski
Mar 6, 2006

fennesz posted:

Please loving god tell me CoD isn't introducing a cover system. :smithicide:

Because exposing your entire body to take a shot is so much better? Note that I'm not necessarily advocating a cover system in CoD, but they have their positives as well.

jeffLebowski
Mar 6, 2006

I'm talking about corners, for the most part. In CoD4, if you want to take a shot from a corner, you have to strafe out, take your shot, and return to cover. In reality you'd simply peek your gun and head around the corner. Why can't I peek or lean?

Like I said, I'm not saying a cover system would be a positive addition to CoD. I like the quick-paced action of CoD as much as anyone else. I'm simply saying that cover shooters tend to capture the feel of a gunfight while non-cover shooters still operate on what boils down to Quake 2 action gameplay. The atrocious spawn system of CoD4 doesn't exactly help shake the feel that you're playing a modern combat Quake TC, either. I mean, poo poo... you can still bunny hop in CoD4, in 2009.

Inhumanbot posted:

If the knife was only accessible while holding a pistol, that might be kinda cool. I hate it when surprise coupled with lag makes some bonehead able to kill me in one shot as I pump bullets into him point-blank.

Nothing irritates me more in CoD more than the magic knife. It annoys the poo poo out of me even more than LOL 3 NADES! How is it that I can put 2 assault rifle rounds into someone at point blank range and he lives, but his magic knife instantly kills me in one shot? Why is a knife more powerful than a loving gun? What the gently caress?

The knife should only be a 1-hit kill from behind in my opinion. Then you could have a bad rear end Cpt. Price silent throat slit animation as well. If you attack from the front, you just slash and it takes a couple hits.

None of this matters, of course, because MW2 looks to be loving amazing and we'll all splooge ourselves playing it.

jeffLebowski fucked around with this message at 22:02 on May 26, 2009

jeffLebowski
Mar 6, 2006

wa27 posted:

If the knife wasn't always accessible and an instant kill, nobody would bother using it. People would just take two steps back and shoot the idiot slashing around with their ineffective melee weapon. It's not intended to only be a sneak attack weapon, it's for close quarter encounters too. If you walk around a corner and bump into somebody, you're supposed to knife them because it's quicker than shooting. Once you take away the instant-kill ability, the whole purpose is defeated.

I don't really understand your point here. If I see someone bum rushing me, put a couple rounds in him, then he proceeds to spam the melee button while his screen is red and one hit kills me, how is that balanced? It's pure cheese. Even in videogame logic, a knife being a one hit kill while a gun isn't seems completely ridiculous.

I totally agree that if you sneak up on someone from behind, melee should be a one-hit. From the front, though, it should take a couple slashes at least.

jeffLebowski
Mar 6, 2006

Kali11324 posted:

Yes, yes, yes. I have no problem with anything brought up in this thread. Juggernaut, fine grenade spam, whatever, but this jumping poo poo is the gayest poo poo in the game. Do you actually need a jump button for anything in the game?

I don't understand why you're allowed to shoot and jump at the same time in the first place.

jeffLebowski
Mar 6, 2006

The Quake3-based engine is starting to look a little old, but it's also the main reason that the CoD games run at 60fps and control so smoothly. I think most people are willing to trade some eye candy for awesome performance.

jeffLebowski
Mar 6, 2006

If Captain Price doesn't show up and save your rear end at some point, I'm returning the game for my money back.

jeffLebowski
Mar 6, 2006

Coitus_Interruptus posted:

I love everything about this game except the human being Mohawk and the Snowmobiles, I mean seriously? After giving us some badass moments in MW1 they opt to rehash one of the most cliche Bond Movie Bullshit stunts ever? That poo poo is retarded. If you are excited for snowmobiles you are retarded.

I'm ambivalent about the snowmobiles, they're clearly just this CoD's requisite vehicle stage.

As for the mohawks, have you ever seen a picture of real special forces troops? Many of them actually wear mohawks. It's not something IW pulled out of thin air. It's completely believable and not out of the ordinary at all.

jeffLebowski
Mar 6, 2006

All this multiplayer theorycraft is great and all, but you all are forgetting the one thing that CoD5 had that Infinity Ward has yet to pull off: 4 player co-op. It ran smooth and was loving fun, especially the competitive mode where you competed for score with your teammates while completing missions.

There's no excuse for the lack of co-op in Modern Warfare 1, let alone 2. Yes, I know about Special Forces mode, but I want co-op in the campaign. I don't give a gently caress if they think it ruins MY IMMERSION. I want co-op and the ability to kit out however I want in the campaign. Until they provide that, their games still feel like they're missing something.

jeffLebowski
Mar 6, 2006

hog wizard posted:

I'm probably the only one who enjoys single player more than multi.

You're not alone. Of all my CoD4 playtime, I'd say a solid 80% is spent playing the campaign. The multiplayer is fun, but a little too arcadey/spammish for my tastes.

jeffLebowski
Mar 6, 2006

The Casualty posted:

Sound is a critical part of any FPS but COD4's is hardly deplorable. What do you think makes it absolutely despicable? I haven't played any COD games in upwards of 7 months but I can't remember the sound being bad at all.

It's not horrible, but the gun sounds are really light, flat and have no low-end or crack. I've heard worse, but play Bad Company or Rainbow Six and CoD4's will definitely seem thin afterwards.

jeffLebowski
Mar 6, 2006

Aliginge posted:

Also holy gently caress yes a game mode other than TDM which interests me!

Exactly. TDM is boring, but the objective modes in CoD4 just weren't that fun. CTF has got me really excited for MW2... well, more than I already was.

jeffLebowski
Mar 6, 2006

henpod posted:

Does anyone else think all the guns sound pretty weak? They did in COD4 and they sound the same in the new videos.

Yeah, I've thought the guns have sounded weak in every CoD since the first. I see reviews mention the INCREDIBLE KILLER SOUND and I feel like I must be missing something. They have no low end or crack to them at all.

jeffLebowski
Mar 6, 2006

ShineDog posted:

If its not going to be realistic sounds ARMA style, then I want guns like in bad company, where it sounds like everyone is weilding enough power to tear a mountain down.

Bad Company is the only game I've ever played where a multiplayer match sounds like a loving warzone. It sounds just like war footage you see on TV.

jeffLebowski
Mar 6, 2006

Ansob. posted:

Yeah, how dare the people paying for those servers decide how they want the game played on the servers they are paying for? I mean, the gall of them - fixing the designers' mistake with rules they enforce on the servers they pay for.

Are you serious? I think I'll take the word of a team of designers who have tested their product for months over the kneejerk modifications of a 13 year old kid with too much time on his hands. Not being able to find a vanilla server that plays all the maps is the biggest reason I ditched PC gaming. 99% of custom servers are loving terrible.

jeffLebowski
Mar 6, 2006

kcer posted:

Also I don't have to put up with the retards on Live, or listen to my friends on cup-and-string quality headsets, or have a demented control system, or play on low capacity servers, or have no modding capabilities, or play with mediocre graphics, or be devoid of any worthwhile competitive scene... I could go on for a while with this.

Every post like this reminds me why I don't play PC games online any more.

jeffLebowski
Mar 6, 2006

Murder McMurderson posted:

Does every anti-PC comment make you want to quit console playing? Because they're just as annoying. Why does this have to happen in every topic about a cross-platform game?

"We get better controls and graphics, and we don't have to play with babies!" :byodood:

"I don't have to spend $5000 on a computer, and I get to play it first." :smug:

I was talking about the communities. Every 360 thread is people having fun, playing games, and good times.

Every PC thread is people nerdraging about how this clearly dumbed down game needs 20 mods to even be playable, 30 pages of technical issues, and generally as little fun being had as possible.

kcer posted:

1) You fell behind on hardware and chose the easier route to play the latest games
2) You're more of a social player, you like playing with your buddies

Or you've just never gamed on a PC at all.

I don't really agree... I just find gaming more fun on my 360 than on my PC. I have no problems using a gamepad, bigass HDTV (no, I'm not making GBS threads up my living room by setting my PC up on it), and way more of my friends play on it. I might be biased since my job involves using a PC all day. The last thing I want to do on my off time is sit at another PC.

I also hate all the custom content. I want to play the vanilla game as intended by the devs. I have no interest in some 13 year old kid's ULTRA REALISM MOD or playing the same 2 maps 24 hours a day.

Different strokes man. Not everyone likes the things you do.

jeffLebowski fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Oct 5, 2009

jeffLebowski
Mar 6, 2006

bringer posted:

You've never fired at a moving target?

You have to lead a bit running targets a bit in single player. I'm not sure what client side hit detection has to do with that. It's just COD's ballistics model.

jeffLebowski
Mar 6, 2006

zex posted:

Kind of a random question here, but what the gently caress is with the COD community and their hate of jumping? I remember when I first started playing people were bitching about bunny hopping and I thought it was some kind of exploit like CS was, but it was literally just hitting the jump key. I don't get it.

Honestly, it just looks loving stupid.

jeffLebowski
Mar 6, 2006

What the gently caress happened to this thread? We need separate threads ASAP.

Console games outsell PC games by several orders of magnitude and are the preferred way to play of the vast majority of gamers. Publishers don't give a poo poo about the PC versions of games any more. That seriously sucks if you still game on a PC, sorry. The 90% of us getting this on 360 just want to splooge over screen shots and watch videos without the thread being shitted up.

Split this poo poo please.

jeffLebowski
Mar 6, 2006

SpaceBees posted:

Are you serious?

Yeah man, gently caress me for thinking a company that was built on PC development would be kind enough to put goddamn dedicated servers in their console port.

Did you even read my post? I agreed that it sucks for you. It's just that I, nor most other people, want to read 10 pages of PC gamers whining about it. The thread went to poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeffLebowski
Mar 6, 2006

Aliginge posted:

IW and their attempts to homogenise PC/Console gaming may be dominating the market right now, but you can bet there'll be other companies doing anything they can to give players what they want. If people want a bigger MW2 with dedicateds and a PC-optimised experience, Dice may have that niche well and truly covered with BF:BC2.

Someone save this post for the inevitable Battlefield thread and all its gently caress DICE :argh: rage.