Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
What was all the complaints about for Monday's football weekly? I listened to it at the time and didn't notice anything too unusual. The people who post on that seem like pathetic fanboys. It's a free podcast for gently caress's sake. Sorry if anyone here posts, I don't mean any offense, but it seems like everyone who posts just does so on the off chance that they'll get mentioned on the pod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazy like a Fox
Jul 8, 2003

EKO SMASH!

MoPZiG posted:

The main guy has the gooniest voice ever, apart from that its OK. Im glad to see Im not the only one who thinks the MLS could be run through regional divisions.

For US based stuff I recommend http://americansoccershow.com/ aswell.
If you mean Starling, than I agree. Farley has speed-talking newscaster voice, which I don't mind all that much.

Sanskrit Scat
Aug 11, 2007

Mickolution posted:

What was all the complaints about for Monday's football weekly? I listened to it at the time and didn't notice anything too unusual. The people who post on that seem like pathetic fanboys. It's a free podcast for gently caress's sake. Sorry if anyone here posts, I don't mean any offense, but it seems like everyone who posts just does so on the off chance that they'll get mentioned on the pod.

I didn't know about the complaints, but I don't have any whatsoever. It was the usual brilliant lineup with Barry and Sean.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Why does the World Football Phone-in think that cutting off half the show is a good idea?

Sanskrit Scat
Aug 11, 2007

Sad Panda posted:

Why does the World Football Phone-in think that cutting off half the show is a good idea?

probably doing themselves (and you) a favor

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Sanskrit Scat posted:

I didn't know about the complaints, but I don't have any whatsoever. It was the usual brilliant lineup with Barry and Sean.

They mentioned them on yesterday's one. I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary though.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Sanskrit Scat posted:

probably doing themselves (and you) a favor

Vickery and the Brass are brilliant pundits but the show is let down by Doton's banter with the unbelievably dull regular callers. The phone-in should just be a list of emailed in footballers/teams/cups etc. read off to the experts and let them run with it.

Mickolution posted:

They mentioned them on yesterday's one. I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary though.

Americans complaining about Barry's MLS bashing?

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

MoPZiG posted:

Americans complaining about Barry's MLS bashing?

I doubt it, they do that all the time. I think it was something to do with Ingle. Doesn't really matter, was just curious but not arsed going back to listen again.

Durchfall
Oct 26, 2006

oontsoontsoonts

Mickolution posted:

Spot on, I notice quite a few of the posters seem to resurface fairly often, seems like they make quite the effort. It does hinder my enjoyment of the posts section.

I also had a browse of the messages and there was only one or two messages dissing Sean Ingle, but I didn't see a problem myself and they could easily charge for this poo poo so what's to complain about.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Aw that was what Football Weekly was missing recently: Fernando Duarche!

As for that Villa Support Group chap...

Chivas Aribas!
May 21, 2007

MoPZiG posted:

Aw that was what Football Weekly was missing recently: Fernando Duarche!

As for that Villa Support Group chap...

At least Fernando has the balls to say he just can't stand to see Beckham anymore, instead of the smirking half stepping everyone else seems to do.

r-lam
Jul 12, 2005

JAROME, EETZ ME!
Fernando is outstanding.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
Barney Ronay is pretty hilarious when he questioned the Canadian guest.

EDIT

How bad must domestic Brazillian football must be if they have players leaving for Indonesia? Indonesian football is...terrible

davidHalestorm fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Dec 8, 2009

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy

davidHalestorm posted:

EDIT

How bad must domestic Brazillian football must be if they have players leaving for Indonesia? Indonesian football is...terrible

money helps, Brazilians are all over Asia.

MOSF
Apr 29, 2009
I downloaded the guardian podcast yesterday and Richardson is still an obnoxious twat. The Espn soccernet podcast is great, it may seem a little dry at first but at least it's a proper football podcast.

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

davidHalestorm posted:

EDIT

The very top flight of Brazillian football isn't too bad and there's a fair bit of money, the players that go to SE asia and everywhere else are the second and third tier players who are never going to make more than a semi pro career in Brazil if they get a good agent and a niche spot somewhere poo poo can make 100kUS+ a season.

They go from the 89474820349th best player in Brazil to you know, 5 in Indonesia. Also even though the standard is poo poo, you'd be surprised how much money is in clubs in places like Indonesia, they have some pretty big clubs.

Stim
Sep 6, 2006

We are not feeling edgy; the system is feeling nervous.

MOSF posted:

I downloaded the guardian podcast yesterday and Richardson is still an obnoxious twat. The Espn soccernet podcast is great, it may seem a little dry at first but at least it's a proper football podcast.

Wait, What? When is Richardson ever obnoxious? He is pretty down to earth, mocks his own inability to get a job on TV, doesn't really voice his opinion too much and makes funny puns about everything. I honestly can't think of a better host.

Craiglen
Sep 2, 2006
Wouldn't call him obnoxious for arguing that the Brazilian dude was wrong about some of the things he said.

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

Jimbo is just a pure presenter, it's amazing how well he hosts things.

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Izzy wizzy, let's get Byzzy!
People hate James Richardson? gently caress me, now I really have heard everything!

Craiglen
Sep 2, 2006
I'm honoured to be able to listen to him twice a week. Honoured

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

MOSF posted:

wow.

I dont get the 'proper football' criticism at all. The likes of Sid Lowe and Rafa H have taught me an awful lot about football, culture etc.

The Football Ramble is also up there :colbert:

luvd_
Nov 4, 2006

by T. Finn

MOSF posted:

I downloaded the guardian podcast yesterday and Richardson is still an obnoxious twat.

You're inhuman.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

MoPZiG posted:

wow.

I dont get the 'proper football' criticism at all. The likes of Sid Lowe and Rafa H have taught me an awful lot about football, culture etc.

The Football Ramble is also up there :colbert:

The Ramble guys really do know a lot about football. Also it's like listening in on a conversation between the team that always aces the football round at your locals pub quiz.

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

I've found the times one to have gotten worse and worse lately.

Daniel
Jan 30, 2004

Dignified.
The Football Ramble is excellent. The Times' TheGame podcast has massively gone downhill. I just don't like most of the personalities on it these days.

Football Weekly is still the greatest cast of all

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
Agree completely except I can't say that it's gone downhill (The Game); it was never anything but utterly shite. Gab Marcotti and Phil (though he's gone) are two of the cuntiest cunts I've ever had to (not had to) listen to.

Football Ramble is great for a jokey, while informed, fun football podcast with decent analysis.

Football Weekly is obviously the king. This week was weird, who was that Villa Support Group twat and why was he on it?

Anyway, Duarte rules.

Murkyhumor
Jul 24, 2006

This is Not a Pipe.
Fun Shoe
http://www.twofootedtackle.com/

twofootedtackle is pretty good, both as a blog and a podcast. I don't know how to explain it's appeal, but I've been listening to it for a while now.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Football Weekly has gone downhill, but it's still the best around by a long, long shot. I still enjoy the times, but I really don't like that Scottish guy who's chief football writer these days, Paddy Barkley is it?

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

He lost me after the beach ball incident when he went on this insane rant compare fans with Beach balls to violent trouble makers and people throwing flares in the Ukraine, I've never heard such an out of touch spiel.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Adnar posted:

He lost me after the beach ball incident when he went on this insane rant compare fans with Beach balls to violent trouble makers and people throwing flares in the Ukraine, I've never heard such an out of touch spiel.

Was that Barkley? I remember that and thinking it was ridiculous. I think he's just a bit of a contrary person and will play devil's advocate when possible. I'm like that myself, but he's just really out there at times.

I did agree with him on the subject of diving though, in that I'd rather see players dive than doing Paul Scholes style tackles.

MOSF
Apr 29, 2009
The Scottish guy is called Patrick Barclay and he is generally excellent. The times podcast has got a lot worse though. The good thing about it is that it's not as structured as FW and it feels more like people talking freely ("this is the end of part 2 of Football Weekly" wtf?).
I like FW for its collaborators, Jimbo is unbearable. I remember that time they got that guy from Dublin 106 to take his place as a host. Best guardian pod ever.

MOSF fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Dec 9, 2009

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Whole bunch of wrong in that post.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

MOSF posted:

I like FW for its collaborators, Jimbo is unbearable. I remember that time they got that guy from Dublin 106 to take his place as a host. Best guardian pod ever.
Seriously, what's wrong with Jimbo besides being the best host ever?

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

:love: Colly

MOSF posted:

The Scottish guy is called Patrick Barclay and he is generally excellent. The times podcast has got a lot worse though. The good thing about it is that it's not as structured as FW and it feels more like people talking freely ("this is the end of part 2 of Football Weekly" wtf?).

the "parts" simply demarcate moving onto a different league/topic.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

MOSF posted:

I cant quite tell, but are you talking about the scottish guy on football weekly? I listen to it when there is a new one while running and i have a really hard time understanding him. I am sure he is great, but the only thing i have understood is he attended a FA Cup match at the Emirates

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
Kevin McCarra is the Sport/Football editor on the Guardian who used to occassionally do the Pods... that who you mean? I can understand him (Scottish though).

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Paddy is a bit of an old school whinger. Cant say I dont agree wholeheartedly with his stance on getting rid of agents though.

The Times used to record quite good interviews for the pod, dont know why they let up.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

MoPZiG posted:

Paddy is a bit of an old school whinger. Cant say I dont agree wholeheartedly with his stance on getting rid of agents though.

Not really the place to discuss this, but while their scum, I'd rather see the inflated sums of money involved in football go to players than chairmen. Agents make that happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daniel
Jan 30, 2004

Dignified.
The joke at the beginning of Football Weekly Extra today from Barry completely floored me