Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Bundy posted:

Macintosh is owner of Muddy Knees so there probably is some truth to it. I forget what I was listening on but it came up that they felt there was a gap for more podcast coverage of football than the once/twice weekly serial that most popular pods had fallen into.

I actually think, and I am somewhat surprised, The Ramble have done the best switch to a daily format. "The Lads" are still just twice a week which is fine, Jules and Andy can be great if there's been something over the weekend worth expanding upon (they did a good chat on the City ban and there's been some not insufferable VAR analysis), the look back at classic matches with Wilson is a good listen. They have "bought well" in the pod transfer window, Jules, Brassel and Wilson are very good additions imo.

Jules and Andy is excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Andy Brassell is the best football podcaster

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020
I know it’s audience is potentially limited here but the Peter Schemichel episode of the Man Utd podcast is really really good. Easily the best one they have done.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Brass Hand posted:

I know it’s audience is potentially limited here but the Peter Schemichel episode of the Man Utd podcast is really really good. Easily the best one they have done.

Thanks I keep wondering when I see it but ugh the few United pods I checked out ages ago were ghastly so never went back. I'll have a listen :thumbsup:

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Bundy posted:

Thanks I keep wondering when I see it but ugh the few United pods I checked out ages ago were ghastly so never went back. I'll have a listen :thumbsup:

There are pieces of it on the official United YouTube channel but I don’t know about the full podcast

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Shrapnig posted:

There are pieces of it on the official United YouTube channel but I don’t know about the full podcast

Lol mate I have United pyjamas as if I can't get to the Official United Podcast tm

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
After the games were postponed this weekend I didn’t bother with the round of pods, which is lucky because Laurents was on TFS and listening to him talk about PSG makes me want to commit a genocide.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Totally is my favorite pod but Julian on Paris is dumb and lame.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
FW is really good for PSG stuff because they don't hold back their utter contempt for everything associated with it

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

oliwan posted:

FW is really good for PSG stuff because they don't hold back their utter contempt for everything associated with it

Especially when Phillipe is on phwoar

Mandalay posted:

Totally is my favorite pod

:psyduck:

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020

Bundy posted:

Good episodes: Schemeichel, Johnson, Robbo, Pallister, Blomqvist (because he seems like such a nice guy).

Basically skip any of the current players as they are too soft and haven’t any good stories.

The Cantona one was a missed opportunity.

Grievo
Jul 13, 2006

God.

Seltzer posted:

Andy Brassell is the best football podcaster

This.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Please give us Barry and Max's book report on inverting the pyramid.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
why does the guardian employ so many football writers who hate football and think the concept of writing about football frivolous and demeaning

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

RideTheSpiral posted:

why does the guardian employ so many football writers who hate football and think the concept of writing about football frivolous and demeaning

They have had several articles about how "football doesn't matter and here's a few hundred words on why" this week. Obviously that's true and they're stuck for something to write about, but it's tiresome at the moment.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Mickolution posted:

They have had several articles about how "football doesn't matter and here's a few hundred words on why" this week. Obviously that's true and they're stuck for something to write about, but it's tiresome at the moment.

agreed. i would have very much enjoyed some diverting football chat and lighthearted banter on FW but instead we get an hour of bleak coronavrius coverage. thanks lads.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

RideTheSpiral posted:

agreed. i would have very much enjoyed some diverting football chat and lighthearted banter on FW but instead we get an hour of bleak coronavrius coverage. thanks lads.

The first 15 min bummed me out.

But then making fun of Wilson and his book cheered me up and the rest wad pretty lighthearted I thought

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
Time for all weekly podcasts to pretend it’s a season from the past and do a week by week like that season is happening right now imo.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

grvm posted:

Time for all weekly podcasts to pretend it’s a season from the past and do a week by week like that season is happening right now imo.

They should go back and cover matches they felt they were above covering because it wasn't Champions League or one of the top 4.

I'm not bitter. Well, I am, but outside of the odd "Oh yes he's doing a brilliant job" *collective chin stroke*, there's a lot of interesting things this season that the pods have barely covered. Sheffield United being consistently good over the season for one, there's been a bunch of good Europa league matches that never get looked at. So they should do either a "what we missed" set of episodes, or run stuff that didn't make the original cuts for time.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"
So now there are two barney ronays on the FW, lovely

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Simiain posted:

Liew is now the wettest blanket.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Simiain posted:

Do you mean mr fuckin doomsday that was like someone took Ronay, added more cynicism, took out any sarcasm and any ability to troll Wilson?

:byodood: "DON'T KNOW WHY WE'RE EVEN HERE"

gently caress off then mate.

He was loving depressing and should be nowhere near a podcast again

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

In fairness, he has been quite good since he joined the Guardian. It was just this episode.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Mickolution posted:

In fairness, he has been quite good since he joined the Guardian. It was just this episode.

Tbh I'm more surprised at it making the edit. I found him to be incredibly tone deaf and unnecessary.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Bundy posted:

Tbh I'm more surprised at it making the edit. I found him to be incredibly tone deaf and unnecessary.

This really.

Obviously there’s little actual football chat but hearing from journalists living in Spain and Italy is really interesting.

I am sick of hearing them prefacing everything with how unimportant football is all the time too. They’re on a football podcast, I’ve had to actively seek them out to listen to them they don’t need to apologise all the time like they’re on prime time tv.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm absolutely not listening to FW if there's no football

Grievo
Jul 13, 2006

God.

Bundy posted:

They should go back and cover matches they felt they were above covering because it wasn't Champions League or one of the top 4.

I'm not bitter. Well, I am, but outside of the odd "Oh yes he's doing a brilliant job" *collective chin stroke*, there's a lot of interesting things this season that the pods have barely covered. Sheffield United being consistently good over the season for one, there's been a bunch of good Europa league matches that never get looked at. So they should do either a "what we missed" set of episodes, or run stuff that didn't make the original cuts for time.

Greatest Games from the Football Ramble (or Blizzard or whatever) is great. I expect more of these.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"

Mickolution posted:

Its true, his articles have stood out for being really good. My word what a tone-deaf and needlessly abrasive pillock he was at the start of that pod though.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
FW is struggling. Forensically analysing a pretty boring football match that happened over 30 years ago does not make for thrilling listening, but I suppose what else can they do?

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

The Perfect Element posted:

FW is struggling. Forensically analysing a pretty boring football match that happened over 30 years ago does not make for thrilling listening, but I suppose what else can they do?

Those posh hipster guys are pretty boring guests, which doesn't help.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

The Perfect Element posted:

Don't put out a podcast?

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

sassassin posted:

Don't put out a podcast?

good idea. They should stop earning a livelihood because you find their podcast boring

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Elis James hasn't done one this week.

I don't listen to any others but yes, I agree.

AttitudeAdjuster
May 2, 2010
The ramble picked a hell of a year to go daily.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I mean there’s a reason Football Weekly usually took the summers off. Also, doing remote podcasts like that is definitely tough.

That said I enjoyed the chat this time, as strange as it’s been. Musa Okwonga is a good voice to add in.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

AttitudeAdjuster posted:

The ramble picked a hell of a year to go daily.

Content was already stretched thin so I can’t imagine how bad it is now

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Content was already stretched thin so I can’t imagine how bad it is now

The only new show of theirs that I listen to is Greatest Games, which is great.

Jules & Andy is good, but the more serious topics they discuss have usually been covered on FW a day earlier and I'm not interested enough in European football to listen to OTC. Again, FW covers it enough for me to keep up with it as much as I need. The interview ones never appealed to me at all. I've seen a few people say they pick and choose which ones they keep up with, too. I wonder what the ratings are for the newer ones.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Mickolution posted:

The interview ones never appealed to me at all. I've seen a few people say they pick and choose which ones they keep up with, too. I wonder what the ratings are for the newer ones.

Only listened to a few but ironically the most interesting one was the episode with Max that covers him replacing Jimbo and the build up to that.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Weavered posted:

Only listened to a few but ironically the most interesting one was the episode with Max that covers him replacing Jimbo and the build up to that.

Apart from this one, the only other one I remember being interesting was the one with the stadium architect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

The Howard Webb one was good.