Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

ham, turkey, roast beef, cold cuts, North Carolina, vienna sausage
Grimey Drawer

webmeister posted:

I've been picking and choosing between Ramble and FW eps since the football came back and I think that's kind of been the best way to do it. Even though there's games basically every day, trying to keep up with multiple hours of content every day is just way too much.

Yeah, that's probably a good way to approach it now. Miss those Jim/Pete/Marcus/Luke days where it was less serious and more ladish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

ham, turkey, roast beef, cold cuts, North Carolina, vienna sausage
Grimey Drawer

Mickolution posted:

What's happened with Mince?

Agree on The Ramble. The new people are good, but it's not the same as when it's the regular 4. When they went to 6 days a week, the only new one I listened to regularly was the Blizzard one. 5 regular shows per week is too much. I guess they're doing what they need to to survive at the moment though, so fair enough I guess. I'm not sure how their other shows are doing, but the ads for them on The Ramble make them sound awful.

Yeah man, exactly. Re: Ramble

Also Mince just seems dead. Nothing posted since like Mid-May. No updates from either Bob or Andy either. They were supposed to publish a newsletter or something and that never happened either. Hope I'm wrong though :(

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Didn’t one of them have a meltdown online?

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

andy tweeted about murdering michael gove and then had an extremely lame ongoing meltdown for days on end about how it was a hilarious joke and told all his followers to gently caress off

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

meat CRime posted:

Yeah man, exactly. Re: Ramble

Also Mince just seems dead. Nothing posted since like Mid-May. No updates from either Bob or Andy either. They were supposed to publish a newsletter or something and that never happened either. Hope I'm wrong though :(

Yeah, I was a bit concerned about Bob's health as he hadn't been active on Twitter at all. He's posted a couple of videos recently, so hopefully he's ok. I'd be surprised if they just let it go for no reason.

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Andy did, but like anything like this, it blew over in a couple of days. Top Flight Time Machine is still going, so it would be really strange if Mince was affected.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Bobs fine he’s regularly doing train guy

Andy sucks anyway and should gently caress off forever

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

I liked Ramble before it went daily. The format worked because it was 4 mates talking bollocks about football with some jokes. Now it feels spread far too thin and the chemistry that made it work originally isn't there with all the mixed up guests. This for me puts it on direct footing with other football journalism, for which there's a huge drop off once you get past Andy Brassel on Ramble compared to FW, Football Writers Pod (BT, check it out if you haven't already) and The Game podcast.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Bundy posted:

I liked Ramble before it went daily. The format worked because it was 4 mates talking bollocks about football with some jokes. Now it feels spread far too thin and the chemistry that made it work originally isn't there with all the mixed up guests. This for me puts it on direct footing with other football journalism, for which there's a huge drop off once you get past Andy Brassel on Ramble compared to FW, Football Writers Pod (BT, check it out if you haven't already) and The Game podcast.

I agree. I haven’t listened in awhile because it was too frequent and I couldn’t listen to every podcast and I would miss context for later shows.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Bape Culture posted:

Bobs fine he’s regularly doing train guy

Andy sucks anyway and should gently caress off forever

I think he was doing Train Guy on IG or something, his Twitter was dead for a while.

Andy is great on TFTM, which is better than Mince these days.

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020
I got a Patreon message to say they had halted club parsnips payments and wound have news in July

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
For the record, the Offensive is brilliant. Very funny and acted greatly. Would recommend to anyone.

Stopped listening to all football podcasts as there’s too many, but also working at home means no time to listen to them. The Saturday Blizzard crossover about greatest games is really good though.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

britishbornandbread posted:

For the record, the Offensive is brilliant. Very funny and acted greatly. Would recommend to anyone.

Yeah.

As I said in a post yesterday, it's trying too hard to be The Thick of It at the start, but once it finds it's feet it's really good.

AttitudeAdjuster
May 2, 2010
I assume the Ramble will go back to the more defined daily shows once we're out of this post-restart All Football, All the Time phase? Although where Vish and Kate fit in I don't know.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Jonathon Wilson is streaming himself cutting up and eating peppers while discussing the Blizzard if for some reason you needed reminding that Wilson is the best FW Pundit.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
oh god Lars is absolutely horrible on today's FW. get him off. get him off.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

AttitudeAdjuster posted:

I assume the Ramble will go back to the more defined daily shows once we're out of this post-restart All Football, All the Time phase? Although where Vish and Kate fit in I don't know.

I think they’ll run it as the original four Monday + Friday, and then carry the rotation through the remaining different shows.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
The ramble doesn't have enough content for this many podcasts. Even before covid.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Jippa posted:

The ramble doesn't have enough content for this many podcasts. Even before covid.

I think they recognised that and it’s why there are now five or so additions and guest hosts etc?

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Total Meatlove posted:

I think they recognised that and it’s why there are now five or so additions and guest hosts etc?

It's not Ramble though, it's now just become a brand, RIP

Even the usual pods with the four just feel like the hearts aren't in it and they're just happy for the money. Which is fine well done lads but it's got me tuning out OP

AttitudeAdjuster
May 2, 2010
Not being in the studio together probably didn't help.

Ramble still has a slight edge over FW for me given the roulette over which revolving guests will fill the not-Max-or-Barry slots.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm never going to listen to a pod with Lars again, gently caress that poo poo

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I haven't had a chance to listen to what did he do?

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

algebra testes posted:

I haven't had a chance to listen to what did he do?

Spoke.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I listened to it and it became apparent straight away that drinking before a pod is bad unless you are Baz.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

algebra testes posted:

I listened to it and it became apparent straight away that drinking before a pod is bad unless you are Baz.

There was that Christmas pod a couple of years ago where they all got progressively drunker which was fantastic, but I don’t think they’ve ever quite recaptured that same magic. Certainly drinking and podding via Zoom isn’t even remotely the same

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I've really enjoyed the new ramble format. It was a bit awkward to start with but I reckon they are starting to click.

Lampard = Tim Sherwood with a levels is an amusing take.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Jippa posted:

I've really enjoyed the new ramble format. It was a bit awkward to start with but I reckon they are starting to click.

Lampard = Tim Sherwood with a levels is an amusing take.

Which of the 42069 episodes since restart was this?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Bundy posted:

Which of the 42069 episodes since restart was this?

The latest one with luke, marcus and vish.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

Jippa posted:

The latest one with luke, marcus and vish.

That’s narrowed it down to a couple of hundred.

I think I agree with the above consensus. I love the Ramble, been listening for ten years, seen them live, I even met Pete Donaldson randomly in a pub and he was really, really nice. I guess my issue is that there’s no time to listen to three football podcasts before they become obsolete with the next fixtures. It’s a bit like the World Cup dailies, the previews took up a good portion of the show and there’s no point when you know the result of the match they’re discussing.

I’ll of course give them a chance next season and try to make time to listen to them in the new working from home normal as opposed to commuting every day, but I fear the magic is gone.

Luckily I still get my dose of Pete in Wrestle Me and he’s a different character in that. :)

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
It came out last friday.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

I’ve had the flat to myself so I listened to the two latest rambles - the one with the two new guys and Jim, and one with Pete, Luke and Marcus. The thing is, it’s fine. It’s ok. They cover the talk points and discuss them at a decent length. My issue is that it’s just not the Ramble I remember. The past is a foreign country, I know, but I can’t help shake the feeling that the rebranding and the daily shows have changed how the lads operate. The quote laddish tone that was not in your face but nicely apparent seems to have been diluted. They appear to now just be another football podcast, when they had a certain toughness to their shows previously.

It’s a shame, IMHO, after over ten years of listening to find it so mundane now. It definitely seems less about the spontaneous humour and entertainment than about pretending to know stuff about football.

It’s free, so there’s no point complaining. They’ve earned the position they’re in. Maybe I’m just getting old and grumpy

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
On one hand I sort of agree but times have changed. The lads and the audience are 10 years older. If you scroll back through the thread lots of people were finding it a bit stale. I personally was a huge fan that found myself turning to football weekly and even the tfs before getting round if at all to the ramble.

I also think that they doubled their output just before covid. From reading what has been said they are just trying out different combinations of people. I'm certain they haven't just shelved the original line up. They just realised they were sliding behind and are trying to mix it up a bit.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Agree it was a bit stale, but as britishbornandbread said, it's just another football podcast now. I guess we'll see when the new season starts if they keep up this format or change it back to how it was.

They haven't opened the season predictions yet, have they? I assume it'll be after the Champions League. Hopefully they get the original 4 back for that episode.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
The latest ep was luke, marcus and pete. Good fun.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Jippa posted:

The latest ep was luke, marcus and pete. Good fun.

Yeah, I listened to that one yesterday and it was closer to the regular old episodes. Like others have said, they've had to do this to cover the unusual scheduling of the season and I totally understand it but if it's going to keep going like this then I can't see myself listening too much when the new season starts, especially as I probably won't have any sort of commute until 2021.

They've stopped pushing the Patreon by the sounds of things too, I haven't heard it mentioned in a while. I thought the original offerings were a bit poo poo, to be honest and haven't improved when it was relaunched. For me, they really overestimated how much people want to be their mates or something. I understand it's about supporting the show, but access to a discord, a video every couple of weeks and behind the scenes stuff doesn't seem worth it. I thought the same about when they were doing that Whatsapp stuff last season.

I don't want this to come across as "the free thing I like isn't exactly the way I want it" even though it probably does.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Mickolution posted:

Yeah, I listened to that one yesterday and it was closer to the regular old episodes. Like others have said, they've had to do this to cover the unusual scheduling of the season and I totally understand it but if it's going to keep going like this then I can't see myself listening too much when the new season starts, especially as I probably won't have any sort of commute until 2021.

They've stopped pushing the Patreon by the sounds of things too, I haven't heard it mentioned in a while. I thought the original offerings were a bit poo poo, to be honest and haven't improved when it was relaunched. For me, they really overestimated how much people want to be their mates or something. I understand it's about supporting the show, but access to a discord, a video every couple of weeks and behind the scenes stuff doesn't seem worth it. I thought the same about when they were doing that Whatsapp stuff last season.

I don't want this to come across as "the free thing I like isn't exactly the way I want it" even though it probably does.

I was a happy subscriber when they had the acast+ thing but I agree with this post.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

Mickolution sums up exactly how I feel about it and I’m glad they’ve agreed with me. For the longest time FW (and then TFS) was the more serious(ish) shows that covered the topics with a bit more depth and the Ramble was more light, laddy and funny. It’s still amusing, but I genuinely think FW tickles me more (Max’s self-deprecation, Wilson’s deadpan delivery etc).

I posted this earlier, but it’s ultimately become another football podcast, when it was not before. I’m curious to see what they do next season.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

britishbornandbread posted:

It's back today! That was a nice surprise.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
That sure is an analogy

https://twitter.com/oi_staf/status/1292780693295071232?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Barney ronay arguing that it wasn't a penalty vs Messi lol