Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Xabi posted:

No one has mentioned the idiot spending 15 minutes on his stupid theory that football is the same without fans and that we really don’t need them?

I don’t think that’s what he meant, and considering who was making the comment, it was more “fans should come back when they get a better deal.” John Nicholson is more likely to be pro-fan than pro-team. So if ticket prices remain sky high, if the match schedules keep moving around last-minute and at tougher times to make, and if steps aren’t taken to correct that...yeah, maybe fans should take time coming back.

It’s the same logic as walk-outs/late arrivals to protest. Make it a very visible boycott and it might spark change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Yeah I guess he was sort of trying to make that point but I got tired and irritated after hearing the first ten minutes of his argument. Maybe I should cheer up.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Football Podcasts - Maybe I should cheer up

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
Unsubscribed from the Ramble last week. I don’t like the new members of the time, and the official twitter inferring you’re an anti-PC, Daily Mail right winger because you miss the original format of the show was an insult. gently caress em.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Was faye using an xbox 360 head set mic today on football weekly?

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
Looks like Mince is coming back

https://old.reddit.com/r/AthleticoMince/comments/iltboq/its_coming_back/

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

ham, turkey, roast beef, cold cuts, North Carolina, vienna sausage
Grimey Drawer

Like a Phoenix Rising from the loving ashes. Thanks for this 👍

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"

Thank you for linking old reddit and not whatever the gently caress passes for nu-reddit these days.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ha, it's been there for years now and I still can't get used to it.

Speaking of Reddit, the ramble subreddit is awful, even by Reddit standards.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I was reading the subreddit also. From what I can gather they all got burned out on the show and this is a way of slowly phasing themselves out and passing on the baton.

I have no idea how accurate that is or just speculation. It's weird though, I know luke does talksport, jim has his comedy does marcus have another significant job? Pete does radio/voiceovers?

It is crazy thinking they have been doing it every week for 14 years.

AttitudeAdjuster
May 2, 2010
Pete quit what was presumably a lucrative Absolute Radio gig last year, I assume to focus more on Stakhanov.

I'm not convinced phasing themselves out would work if that's the plan but we'll see i guess.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

I read and have made two posts on the sub Reddit but I have tried to be constructive and fair in my criticism, but I understand why people would hate that place. It sails close to the wind in terms of the comments regarding the new hosts and panellists.

What was the Ramble announcement? They’re sticking to the present, three panel rotation?

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Jippa posted:

I was reading the subreddit also. From what I can gather they all got burned out on the show and this is a way of slowly phasing themselves out and passing on the baton.

I have no idea how accurate that is or just speculation. It's weird though, I know luke does talksport, jim has his comedy does marcus have another significant job? Pete does radio/voiceovers?

It is crazy thinking they have been doing it every week for 14 years.

I know Marcus does/did some corporate stuff.

From the announcement yesterday, it seems like they're ramping up the amount of shows for the new season. Daily episodes like now and bonus stuff on another channel or something. I haven't listened too much since the season ended, so will have to see how it goes when the new one starts. I guess there's going to be a lot of mid week football this season, so it makes sense, but they risk spreading themselves thin. Can't blame them for trying to do as many shows as they think they can and obviously the more shows, the more ad revenue, but with more episodes I know I just won't have the time to listen to most of their output while also keeping up with other pods that I listen to, some of which are also daily.

Regarding the subreddit, it's typical entitled "online fan" stuff mixed in with creepy "Are Pete and Kate together?" internet detective poo poo.

britishbornandbread posted:

What was the Ramble announcement? They’re sticking to the present, three panel rotation?

Yeah, 3 people on each daily episode and a new channel for OTC, book club and I guess the interviews they sometimes do.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

This could be a bit "old man yells at kids on lawn" but I feel the podcast space is suddenly oversaturated. Twice weekly FW/FR and weekly other shows meant I could enjoy a number of different pods through the week. Now it's impossible to follow more than one and the content feels really diluted for a lot of them.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

Had they returned to the four originals twice, or even once, a week, I'd have re-subbed. But, sadly, yes I am now definitely out. Very sad

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
someone make a football ramble thread so all these boring posts can be quarantined

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

People discussing a football podcast in the football podcasts thread, is it

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I'm wondering if Football Weekly will drop down to two episodes a week again (I think three was just because it got busy). But it's also a bit nice to have time to discuss other topics and have a good rotation of guests on the third episode.

but with Stadio and others there's plenty to go around.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
Petition to rename FR to Football company since 3’s company but 4s a ramble

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

harperdc posted:

I'm wondering if Football Weekly will drop down to two episodes a week again (I think three was just because it got busy). But it's also a bit nice to have time to discuss other topics and have a good rotation of guests on the third episode.

but with Stadio and others there's plenty to go around.

I've been dipping in and out of them all recently, but isn't the Tuesday episode supposed to be on a specific topic or something? Also, they mentioned recently that clubs in Europe won't have a mid week off until December or something like that, so there'll be plenty of stuff to discuss.

grvm posted:

Petition to rename FR to Football company since 3’s company but 4s a ramble

Lol

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

I wonder if I'm alone in wanting more of the kind of stuff they recently did on the Saudi bid, occasional episodes dedicated to the political economy and international relations of football. Let Phillipe Auclair and David Conn really get in there.

Its an aspect of football thats not very well served in the current podcast climate of your rambles and totally footballs and whatnot, so I think there is a bit of room for it and it pays to be reminded of the actual real human consequences of these things.

You could even do an ep on Stan Kroenke if it would keep the Newcastle fans happy.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
On the Continent is now hosted by Andy and Dotun Adebayo :)

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Todays pod defending max's work for a bookmaker and defending gambling in general is absolutely disgusting and also peak guardian

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
I’m not from the UK so maybe there’s some larger thing I’m missing here, why is it so disgusting?

I might be remembering wrong but I distinctly remember Barry talking odds on FW extra during the earlier years (maybe 2010-12?) so I think they’ve actually officially had a betting sponsor at certain points.

Football ramble def launched their preview show as a paid thing from ... betway? Whatever year that was

The Totally football show has paddy power as a title sponsor.

Seems like a hard thing to get away from. I’m not a gambler but i don’t think I could swing a stick without hitting someone betting on sports in some way. People love it—daily leagues, fan duel, traditional fantasy stuff.

I’m genuinely curious why you’ve got that reaction because I’m pretty ambivalent towards it. Tho it was totally Max to absolve his guilt by crowdsourcing other opinions like that

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

grvm posted:

I’m not from the UK so maybe there’s some larger thing I’m missing here, why is it so disgusting?

I might be remembering wrong but I distinctly remember Barry talking odds on FW extra during the earlier years (maybe 2010-12?) so I think they’ve actually officially had a betting sponsor at certain points.

Football ramble def launched their preview show as a paid thing from ... betway? Whatever year that was

The Totally football show has paddy power as a title sponsor.

Seems like a hard thing to get away from. I’m not a gambler but i don’t think I could swing a stick without hitting someone betting on sports in some way. People love it—daily leagues, fan duel, traditional fantasy stuff.

I’m genuinely curious why you’ve got that reaction because I’m pretty ambivalent towards it. Tho it was totally Max to absolve his guilt by crowdsourcing other opinions like that

The gambling industry is incredibly predatory and has gone to great lengths to exploit the natures that hook the type of people that get into gambling. Many consider it to be outright exploitative and not regulated enough. It's certainly an odd juxtaposition to how the gambling companies present themselves as big happy friendly mates, lads, see Paddy Power for the prime example. Be one of the lads. Have a gamble. For the bants.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
They've also done their best to convince an entire generation that you can't enjoy sports without being financially invested in the outcome.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
If people love gambling so much they won't need Ray Winstone telling them to gamble (responsibly) 60 seconds before kickoff. The betting companies don't spend as much as they do on ads and sponsorship to entertain us, it's insanely profitable to remind addicts and potential addicts to make them game matter more.

Should all be banned like alcohol ads were.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

Puritanical fun-haters on this site aside, it was peak Guardian to have an earnest discussion about Max and his new side-gig as shill for a betting company.

Thankfully Auclair was there to really drive home how scummy these companies can be, and what a scummy kind of industry it is.

That said, I like a bet now and then so gently caress it.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
It is relentless isn't. They advertise on all the big football casts. I remember listening to the sunday supplement and they had a section on gambling advertisements (I think there was some change in policy or something).

Then straight after them all sitting around umming and ahing about it there was a spliced in advert for a betting company.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
Uk tv is 50% gambling ads and 50% be careful about gambling warnings

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

RideTheSpiral posted:

Uk tv is 50% gambling ads and 50% be careful about gambling warnings

So 100% gambling ads. Bookies love responsible gambling campaigns as they have the same effect on addicts, reminding them to gamble and reinforcing the idea that it can be a cool and clever thing to do (if you're not like this sad chump being told off).

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

sassassin posted:

So 100% gambling ads. Bookies love responsible gambling campaigns as they have the same effect on addicts, reminding them to gamble and reinforcing the idea that it can be a cool and clever thing to do (if you're not like this sad chump being told off).

Don't they fund those ads? I know it's booze companies who pay for anti drink driving ads.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
It was absolute peak Guardian. 'Hm, it feels like it might be wrong to be a paid shill for a hugely explorative industry. However, as I am a good and sensible person, it must not actually be wrong. Friends and fellow shills, please discuss, and be as merciless as you like!'

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Bit disappointed in Wilson, thought he might be a bit more principled than that. Also his defence of 'actually the gambling industry is useful because it protects the game against matchfixing' is pretty drat weak.

Also they all just said "it's a bigger problem than you can solve on your own, so you might as well just get on with it". Yeah don't worry guys, it's not like you all have giant platforms that could actually influence how people think about the link between football and gambling ffs.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Answers Me posted:

Bit disappointed in Wilson, thought he might be a bit more principled than that.

Just because someone has a different opinion to you doesn't mean they're not principled. Lots of people don't have a big problem with gambling and you can't work in sport without interacting with bookies.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Mickolution posted:

Just because someone has a different opinion to you doesn't mean they're not principled. Lots of people don't have a big problem with gambling and you can't work in sport without interacting with bookies.

OK maybe principled wasn't the right word: if he doesn't have a problem with gambling, fine, he just struck me as the sort of person who would see the insidious influence gambling has on the sport for what it is (which Philippe more-or-less did).

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Answers Me posted:

OK maybe principled wasn't the right word: if he doesn't have a problem with gambling, fine, he just struck me as the sort of person who would see the insidious influence gambling has on the sport for what it is (which Philippe more-or-less did).

I dunno, I think gambling companies are shits but there is an often successful viewpoint (not one I necessarily subscribe to) around where the line is drawn on personal agency of the willing gambler, and the responsibility of the bet taker and its success is a part of why gambling is still so pervasive. It's not a reach to see Wilson closer to or on that side of the fence.

It is quite uniquely driven and marketed through football, though. There has been an incredibly successful lean on the idea that the armchair fan thinks they know a lot about football and its ins and outs, as evidenced with all the in play microbetting that has exploded in the last 10 to 15 years. Bookmakers take bets on lots of things obviously, but football betting solely (in the UK) has a very predatory angle to it.

NinpoEspiritoSanto fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Sep 16, 2020

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The other problem is Bookmakers are some of the few people who pay money for writing on football.

Wilson afaik writes or used to write for one company at one stage.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
I’ve spotted the main problem with the Ramble: Luke is incredibly annoying. Hearing him interact with people outside of the core four has made it really apparent

Answers Me fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Sep 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Answers Me posted:

I’ve spotted the main problem with the Ramble: Luke is incredibly annoying. Hearing him interact with people outside of the core four has made it really apparent

Agree that he's the weakest. He seems like a decent guy in general, but sometimes on the podcast, he tries too hard to be a "proper pundit" and that's not what he is. I've listened to a couple of Marcus/Pete/Jim ones recently and they've been good. Also, if he's ever at a game, he doesn't shut up about it and uses it as proof that he's an expert on whichever teams he saw.