Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«93 »
VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Pham Nuwen posted:

Iíve been meaning to fool around with recording video with my DSLR, nothing particular in mind beyond maybe some nature stuff out in the woods as of now. Whatís the best software for editing video these days? Iíve got Windows and Linux available, and free or inexpensive would obviously be ideal.

Iím sure this has come up elsewhere in the thread but itís long and Iím just working through the more recent postings.

I've been using Resolve lately to edit my cinematography reels and I've had nothing but good things to say about it. I don't know what all this hubbub about it being different from Adobe Premiere is all about, I changed my keyboard shortcuts to the Adobe Premiere setting and it works exactly the same. You can get Resolve for free, the restrictions I'm aware of are that you can only work in 8-bit and you can't use Resolve's noise reduction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Maybe my Resolve install is hosed up, but not only did the Premiere setting not match Premiere, when I went in and manually set the shortcuts to what Premiere's default is they didn't work. It's not even the shortcuts really, as much as how Resolve handles certain things, I don't like its trim tool, especially how it handles ripples. I also find it's a more limiting when it comes to exporting than Adobe Media Encoder. That said, if you want free, it's the best deal out there, and if you want to get into grading it's pretty much the standard (seriously, does anyone use Baselight or Quantel anymore?). I'm making an effort to learn it, if for no other reason than no company lasts forever, Adobe included, and it never hurts to have another skill, but it's slow going.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Man, I hate editing in Resolve. I wind up doing a lot of small tweaks during color correct if the import doesn't go right and it always feels goofy and clunky to move around in it. Like the mouse isn't connected to the interface quite right, the way it scales the tracks in the GUI is somehow extremely space inefficient so I'm always zooming in and out, and then the zooming itself is annoying. If I had better understanding GUI design I could probably explain my problems better, but overall it just does not work for me. More power to anyone who likes it though, for free it's a hell of a tool.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

powderific posted:

the way it scales the tracks in the GUI is somehow extremely space inefficient so I'm always zooming in and out, and then the zooming itself is annoying.

This.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Blackmagic camera update 6.2 is out now, bringing .braw to the pocket 4k. One word of warning, updating to 6.2 removes the CinemaDNG codec from any camera that you update (including URSAs), so finish up any projects using that before you update.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I'm thinking about updating from my tired old Canon DSLR to something more legit and I might have some money coming in from various projects next fall.

My main priorities are good low light capabilities and footage that is easily color correctable.

So far I have my eyes on the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema (possibly the 4k or just the plain old BMPCC) or the Sony A7s II. The Sony has some insane low light capabilities, a friend of mine swears by it and has shown me Int. footage shot with nothing more than candlelight and Ext. lit only by moonlight that looked gorgeous.

However the BMPCC 4k seems to be more squarely focused on video and is a bit less expensive so I'm open to buying that and having more money for lights and lenses.

Any pro tips?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

I recently filmed a social media commercial spot on the Pocket 4K and it's a nice little camera. Doesn't have as much dynamic range as its big brother, the Ursa Mini Pro, but it's certainly close enough.

As for the A7s series of cameras, I actively try to avoid shooting with them. I've never liked any of the footage that came out of them and I think the low light capabilities are overrated and massively overstated. Sure, you can shoot in moonlight/candlelight but good luck cleaning that footage up. Color science also leaves something to be desired on Sony cameras that aren't the F55, F65, or Venice.

If you have a sizable budget for a camera, going with the Pocket 4K or a used FS7 would probably be the way to go.

«93 »