Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
I made this about a week ago in preparation for the BMPC4k. I plan on adding some cable reinforcement and I want add something to mount it on the camera or cage like a coldshoe or maybe a 1/4 mount. I'm also looking for design ideas if you have any. I plan on posting this on thingiverse so anybody can download and print it. Let me know if you have any ideas, thanks!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
I have an fs700 with the stock lens and I want to buy a new one. What's a good starter lens worth buying? I remember with my 5D, the conventional wisdom was get that 50mm 1.8 first. Which I traded it up for a beautiful 1.4.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Narzack posted:

I have an fs700 with the stock lens and I want to buy a new one. What's a good starter lens worth buying? I remember with my 5D, the conventional wisdom was get that 50mm 1.8 first. Which I traded it up for a beautiful 1.4.

Probably a 35mm 2 or 1.4 since that would be the equivalent normal lens on Super35.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

jubjub64 posted:

I made this about a week ago in preparation for the BMPC4k. I plan on adding some cable reinforcement and I want add something to mount it on the camera or cage like a coldshoe or maybe a 1/4 mount. I'm also looking for design ideas if you have any. I plan on posting this on thingiverse so anybody can download and print it. Let me know if you have any ideas, thanks!

Nice! Can I ask what lenses you'll be using on your BMPCC4K? I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on one later in December mainly for short form doco making / talking heads type stuff.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
Probably doesn’t matter to most of you but the 6.0 firmware for the Ursa Mini Pro came out today and it is glorious. :aaaaa:

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

VoodooXT posted:

Probably doesn’t matter to most of you but the 6.0 firmware for the Ursa Mini Pro came out today and it is glorious. :aaaaa:

Noice. Our Ursa Mini Pro almost instantly became our defacto camera. Our hero camera is a RED Epic Dragon and while, yes, when you put them side by side the RED has that little something extra the Ursa doesn't. But it's close. And we've been able to cut between them (although that works best on more generic testimonial type stuff).

Such an awesome and easy to use little workhorse.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Nice, excited to try it out. We've had ours basically since launch and it's been really our only camera other than a couple shoots where the client wants more of a big name. Also see that Resolve 15.2 came out.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

frytechnician posted:

Nice! Can I ask what lenses you'll be using on your BMPCC4K? I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on one later in December mainly for short form doco making / talking heads type stuff.

Still waiting on the camera to actually arrive, but we picked up the Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm f/2.8 and Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-40mm f/2.8 for ours. Once the drat thing actually ships I'll post my impressions. I'll mostly be using it as a B camera on interviews, or when we need something quicker and more informal than setting up a couple of Ursa Mini Pros.

VoodooXT posted:

Nice, I was trying out the 6.0 beta to play around with .braw, I liked what I saw so far with that, I'll definitely be putting 6.0 on ASAP.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Gunjin posted:

Still waiting on the camera to actually arrive, but we picked up the Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm f/2.8 and Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-40mm f/2.8 for ours. Once the drat thing actually ships I'll post my impressions. I'll mostly be using it as a B camera on interviews, or when we need something quicker and more informal than setting up a couple of Ursa Mini Pros.

Just pulled the trigger on the pre-order, thanks for the info! I'm looking forward to hearing what you think.

The image quality I've seen from most YouTube reviews has been absolutely gorgeous so now I'm looking into decent power supplies, cages and SSDs for when it eventually arrives.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

frytechnician posted:

Sorry I missed this post. I just got my camera and I'm mainly using a Sigma Art 18-35mm f1.8 with a Viltrox EF-M2 speedbooster.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
Just got the shipping notice today, looks like our Pocket 4K will get here early next week, looking forward to testing it out. Hopefully the adaptor plate for the gimbal comes in as well so I can try that out.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

has anyone in the UK who preordered the 4k from CVP got an update yet?

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Hbomberguy posted:

has anyone in the UK who preordered the 4k from CVP got an update yet?

Not yet. I called them up 2 weeks ago and they said they had no idea on when the next shipment was coming from Blackmagic which was irritating. They also said they had about 600+ preorders outstanding so this might move a bit of a wait.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
Has anyone taken a look at the new DJI Osmo Pocket? Any opinions? 4k capable camera on a 3 axis gimbal in a package that'll fit in your palm. Looks pretty amazing.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Has anyone taken a look at the new DJI Osmo Pocket? Any opinions? 4k capable camera on a 3 axis gimbal in a package that'll fit in your palm. Looks pretty amazing.
4K60 at that. If I was doing more video work and vlogging at the moment I'd probably pick it up, it does look pretty spiffy.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Kenshin posted:

4K60 at that. If I was doing more video work and vlogging at the moment I'd probably pick it up, it does look pretty spiffy.

Yeah for that it's perfect. I mean I doubt anyone is going to be shooting any movie stuff with it other than something proof of concept or very niche.

But for the casual recording crew it's pretty awesome.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

BonoMan posted:

Yeah for that it's perfect. I mean I doubt anyone is going to be shooting any movie stuff with it other than something proof of concept or very niche.

But for the casual recording crew it's pretty awesome.

would it be good enough to create nice travel videos? I've been thinking about expanding to recording video while on trips so that would be the main reason for me to buy this.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

GlassEye-Boy posted:

would it be good enough to create nice travel videos? I've been thinking about expanding to recording video while on trips so that would be the main reason for me to buy this.

I guess it depends on what you mean by nice? You're probably not going to get any great cinematic footage (unless you get lucky with some golden hour stuff) but if it's just sort of docu-style coverage I think it would be a nice addition to your arsenal.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
So now that I've had a couple of days to play around with the BMPCC4K I have to say, I really like it. It's not perfect, but it's going to be real good for a lot of uses.

First my (minor) complaints:

1) The touchscreen being fixed is a bit annoying, though small on camera monitors are so cheap now that you can buy a 5"-7" one if you are doing something like solo travel vlogging and still come out spending less than the other cameras this is competing with .

2) No continuous autofocus, it's not a problem for what I do, but I know it's an absolute deal breaker for some people.

3) The on board audio is meh (to be fair all on board camera audio sucks), the microphones are also positioned in a really awkward spot, if you're hand holding the camera you've got to be really careful not to brush up against them. They also pick up the sounds from using the control knobs and the lens hitting the end of its zoom travel.

4) Battery life could be better. I get about 45 minutes out of a Canon LP-E6, a bit less out of a generic one. LP-E6 are dirt cheap though, which mitigates it a bit. Also, the Canon branded ones give me an actual % of life remaining, the generic that came with the camera just show a battery pictogram at various levels of fullness so it's harder to tell when that one is going to run out.

For the type of shooting I do none of these are an issue.

The good stuff:

1) The image looks nice. Blackmagic have done a good job with their colors and I don't think anything in this price range comes close. It's going to be really easy to match this with the Ursa mini pro.

2) Low light performance is pretty good, best for a Blackmagic camera so far. I'd be fine using 3200, and 6400 is bit grainy/noisy for my taste but it's usable especially for something documentary style (it cleans up decently with a denoise too). Higher than that is there, and if you absolutely have to get something recorded and have no light it'll do. I was playing around with 25600 in my office with the lights turned off and the only illumination coming from my computer monitor and it produce a usable, if very grainy, image. One quirk, because of how the dual native ISO work, 1250 is actually cleaner than 1000.

3) The touchscreen is real nice (other than the not swiveling thing). Bright, clear, and the user interface is great. Blackmagic have killed it with their user interface, everything is easy to find, makes sense, and nothing is buried 4 layers deep in some obscure sub-menu.

4) It's a good size and weight. If I were shooting something like a wedding reception or a corporate party I wouldn't mind carrying it around for a few hours. One caveat, it's wide, if you want to use it on a gimbal you're probably going to need an extra tripod quick release and plate so you can offset it. Some new gimbals claim to fit it (Moza air 2, Ronin-S). It's also a good size for tight locations like car interiors, or something like a car hood mount.

5) It's pretty drat flexible with recording media and gives you plenty of codec and framerate options. One warning here, I haven't found anything that will let you do uncompressed raw 4K at 60fps, I can do 30fps with my Cfast cards (550 MB/s Anglebirds) but 60 drops frames. I can do 60 fps in ProRes HQ or Raw 3:1 though. Not even the USB-C Samsung T5 can handle it. On the topic of the USB-C port, it's a nice addition, we sometimes have to record these 8 hour training seminars (it is as boring as it sounds) and the 500GB SSD will record 556 minutes at 1080p in ProRes 422. It's supposed to get .braw in a firmware update which I'm looking forward to, I've been using .braw on the Ursa mini pro and I like it a lot.

For lenses we picked up the Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-40mm f/2.8 and Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm f/2.8. I've mostly used the 12-40 so far and I've been quite happy with it, sharp throughout its zoom range, focuses smoothly. A touch heavy, but feels very well constructed. If I had to get just one general purpose lens this is where I'd start.

I think the BMPCC4K is going to end up very popular. Almost any situation where you see someone using a stills camera for video this is probably going to be better. Corporate, documentaries, weddings, low budget commercials, music videos, indy/student films. I wouldn't be surprised to see it become the dominant camera in the corporate space.

I've rambled enough, if you've got any specific questions let me know and I'll try to answer them.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

Gunjin posted:

So now that I've had a couple of days to play around with the BMPCC4K I have to say, I really like it. It's not perfect, but it's going to be real good for a lot of uses.

First my (minor) complaints:

1) The touchscreen being fixed is a bit annoying, though small on camera monitors are so cheap now that you can buy a 5"-7" one if you are doing something like solo travel vlogging and still come out spending less than the other cameras this is competing with .

2) No continuous autofocus, it's not a problem for what I do, but I know it's an absolute deal breaker for some people.

3) The on board audio is meh (to be fair all on board camera audio sucks), the microphones are also positioned in a really awkward spot, if you're hand holding the camera you've got to be really careful not to brush up against them. They also pick up the sounds from using the control knobs and the lens hitting the end of its zoom travel.

4) Battery life could be better. I get about 45 minutes out of a Canon LP-E6, a bit less out of a generic one. LP-E6 are dirt cheap though, which mitigates it a bit. Also, the Canon branded ones give me an actual % of life remaining, the generic that came with the camera just show a battery pictogram at various levels of fullness so it's harder to tell when that one is going to run out.

For the type of shooting I do none of these are an issue.

The good stuff:

1) The image looks nice. Blackmagic have done a good job with their colors and I don't think anything in this price range comes close. It's going to be really easy to match this with the Ursa mini pro.

2) Low light performance is pretty good, best for a Blackmagic camera so far. I'd be fine using 3200, and 6400 is bit grainy/noisy for my taste but it's usable especially for something documentary style (it cleans up decently with a denoise too). Higher than that is there, and if you absolutely have to get something recorded and have no light it'll do. I was playing around with 25600 in my office with the lights turned off and the only illumination coming from my computer monitor and it produce a usable, if very grainy, image. One quirk, because of how the dual native ISO work, 1250 is actually cleaner than 1000.

3) The touchscreen is real nice (other than the not swiveling thing). Bright, clear, and the user interface is great. Blackmagic have killed it with their user interface, everything is easy to find, makes sense, and nothing is buried 4 layers deep in some obscure sub-menu.

4) It's a good size and weight. If I were shooting something like a wedding reception or a corporate party I wouldn't mind carrying it around for a few hours. One caveat, it's wide, if you want to use it on a gimbal you're probably going to need an extra tripod quick release and plate so you can offset it. Some new gimbals claim to fit it (Moza air 2, Ronin-S). It's also a good size for tight locations like car interiors, or something like a car hood mount.

5) It's pretty drat flexible with recording media and gives you plenty of codec and framerate options. One warning here, I haven't found anything that will let you do uncompressed raw 4K at 60fps, I can do 30fps with my Cfast cards (550 MB/s Anglebirds) but 60 drops frames. I can do 60 fps in ProRes HQ or Raw 3:1 though. Not even the USB-C Samsung T5 can handle it. On the topic of the USB-C port, it's a nice addition, we sometimes have to record these 8 hour training seminars (it is as boring as it sounds) and the 500GB SSD will record 556 minutes at 1080p in ProRes 422. It's supposed to get .braw in a firmware update which I'm looking forward to, I've been using .braw on the Ursa mini pro and I like it a lot.

For lenses we picked up the Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-40mm f/2.8 and Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm f/2.8. I've mostly used the 12-40 so far and I've been quite happy with it, sharp throughout its zoom range, focuses smoothly. A touch heavy, but feels very well constructed. If I had to get just one general purpose lens this is where I'd start.

I think the BMPCC4K is going to end up very popular. Almost any situation where you see someone using a stills camera for video this is probably going to be better. Corporate, documentaries, weddings, low budget commercials, music videos, indy/student films. I wouldn't be surprised to see it become the dominant camera in the corporate space.

I've rambled enough, if you've got any specific questions let me know and I'll try to answer them.

Thanks for the review on this, I'm still waiting on mine. The facebook group for the camera has been real interesting, a lot of people found external battery solutions that do/don't work. I didn't know about the 4k 60 thing you posted though, never came up yet.

The lenses you got, are you manually focusing those before each shot? I bought a metabones adapter, but I'd like something lighter for gimbal work.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
I do manually focus for each shot, but the Olympus 12-40 can do some really deep focus so it shouldn’t be too hard to find a nice sweet spot for gimbal work. I’ll know more once the drat adaptor plate arrives and I can do some testing.

EDIT: Just so no one else has to waste time trying to find it, if you need the serial number on a BMPCC4K for whatever reason it's inside the battery compartment. I'd write it down, the sticker it's on is going to get worn out pretty quickly with constant insertion and removal of batteries.

Gunjin fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Dec 7, 2018

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008

Narzack posted:

I managed to score a fs700 w/stock lens and and a atmos inferno off ebay to learn videography on. How the hell do you rig this thing up? I keep seeing people use glidecams, so I went to a local rental house to try out using one. Am I a huge baby or is it just way too loving heavy for one handed operation? What would you get if you were just starting out on this?

atrus50 fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Dec 31, 2018

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Did you just use the handheld camera sled part? FS700's are huge for that sort of thing, you're absolutely going to need a vest+arm THEN a glidecam to move it around fluidly.

I wouldn't use a handheld Glidecam 2000/4000 on anything larger than a DSLR with a short prime even if the weight limit will technically fit. With the vest+arm and the atmos on the bottom helping with the counterweight it should be a very workable setup

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
Well, heads up to UK goons waiting on their preorder BMPCC4Ks.... absolutely no news.

Called up CVP, still a backlog of about 600+ cameras, first come, first served basis, said they had no news from BM Design about their next shipments and it's anyone's guess when they'll be in stock. Massively irritating.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

frytechnician posted:

Well, heads up to UK goons waiting on their preorder BMPCC4Ks.... absolutely no news.

Called up CVP, still a backlog of about 600+ cameras, first come, first served basis, said they had no news from BM Design about their next shipments and it's anyone's guess when they'll be in stock. Massively irritating.

Same problem worldwide, I see it on the Blackmagic 4k pocket group on Facebook. Kind of a bummer, I ordered in November.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

the_lion posted:

Same problem worldwide, I see it on the Blackmagic 4k pocket group on Facebook. Kind of a bummer, I ordered in November.

It sucks that they learned when they put out the Ursa Mini Pro, but unlearned it when putting out the Pocket 4K.

CryingCypress71
Oct 15, 2018
Hey all! New to the group.
You may be able to help me out, I am looking for a rental house in Toronto. We don’t need to rent anything crazy, Cannon C series (100/300) a Sony A7S, a few lenses for each, some lighting equipment (small package) and some audio equipment (lav kit and an on camera mic)
Any suggestions where to start?
William F White was suggested, but we are not doing serious filming.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

CryingCypress71 posted:

Hey all! New to the group.
You may be able to help me out, I am looking for a rental house in Toronto. We don’t need to rent anything crazy, Cannon C series (100/300) a Sony A7S, a few lenses for each, some lighting equipment (small package) and some audio equipment (lav kit and an on camera mic)
Any suggestions where to start?
William F White was suggested, but we are not doing serious filming.

I don't have any experience with Toronto, but for that kinda smaller package look for production houses (that might not be advertised as anything to do with rentals) and see if they rent their gear.

We're not a rental house, just a full service ad agency/production house that owns all of our own gear, and we rent our stuff all the time. You need to have your own insurance though.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Both Vistek and Henrys do camera package rentals I'm pretty sure, you could start by calling them. The downtown Henrys isnt like a small town one, they're not loving around and you can get actual "pro" gear at the Queen/Church location.

CryingCypress71
Oct 15, 2018

bring back old gbs posted:

Both Vistek and Henrys do camera package rentals I'm pretty sure, you could start by calling them. The downtown Henrys isnt like a small town one, they're not loving around and you can get actual "pro" gear at the Queen/Church location.

Thanks for the heads up! Appreciate it
Henry’s site said the no longer rent :-(

CryingCypress71
Oct 15, 2018

BonoMan posted:

I don't have any experience with Toronto, but for that kinda smaller package look for production houses (that might not be advertised as anything to do with rentals) and see if they rent their gear.

We're not a rental house, just a full service ad agency/production house that owns all of our own gear, and we rent our stuff all the time. You need to have your own insurance though.

Thanks for the info!
Insurance isn’t a problem :-)

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
I'm in a bit of a dilemma at the moment while choosing a new camera. I'm a classical musician in Europe who two years ago started recording colleagues' performances for YouTube, which turned out to be a genuine side business (work example).

So far I have been recording everything on a Canon 760D with a Rokinon 35mm cine lens, but I reaaally desperately need to get a proper video camera to have much more control over the colours and overall better results. My set-ups are usually highly controlled with the camera sitting on a tripod permanently, utilising only very gentle movement to not distract from the interpretation. Autofocus is irrelevant and extreme resolution is not really important for me, but a gradeable codec with pleasing skin tones and a shallow depth of field are a must-have.

I was already almost certain to build a rig with a BMPCC4K + Metabones Ultra, but I have a few jobs coming up and the BMPCC4K won't be available in Europe until May as it seems. Also I'm a bit scared of the comparatively insane data rates and the high cost for storage they incur. I'm also afraid that I won't be able to use the RAW features since I'm editing on a 2015 15" Macbook Pro and I don't have the funds to buy a new computer and a new camera at the same time. On top of that, I'm a bit thrown off by the reports that it is sometimes not the most reliable device.

The prices for the GH5 and the GH5S seemed to have dropped significantly here, with the GH5 turning out to be about the same price as the BMPCC4K when fully rigging both of them for my purposes. The GH5S is interesting to me because of the wider sensor and it's low-light capabilites, but the GH5's IBIS might allow me to use long lenses on my tripod for live recordings without worrying about camera shake. Also I'm using fast glass with a speedbooster and I'm shooting at 25 fps, so the GH5's low-light should be good enough for what I'm doing.

Any experiences? I'm a bit helpless right now :negative:

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

Honj Steak posted:

I'm in a bit of a dilemma at the moment while choosing a new camera. I'm a classical musician in Europe who two years ago started recording colleagues' performances for YouTube, which turned out to be a genuine side business (work example).

So far I have been recording everything on a Canon 760D with a Rokinon 35mm cine lens, but I reaaally desperately need to get a proper video camera to have much more control over the colours and overall better results. My set-ups are usually highly controlled with the camera sitting on a tripod permanently, utilising only very gentle movement to not distract from the interpretation. Autofocus is irrelevant and extreme resolution is not really important for me, but a gradeable codec with pleasing skin tones and a shallow depth of field are a must-have.

I was already almost certain to build a rig with a BMPCC4K + Metabones Ultra, but I have a few jobs coming up and the BMPCC4K won't be available in Europe until May as it seems. Also I'm a bit scared of the comparatively insane data rates and the high cost for storage they incur. I'm also afraid that I won't be able to use the RAW features since I'm editing on a 2015 15" Macbook Pro and I don't have the funds to buy a new computer and a new camera at the same time. On top of that, I'm a bit thrown off by the reports that it is sometimes not the most reliable device.

The prices for the GH5 and the GH5S seemed to have dropped significantly here, with the GH5 turning out to be about the same price as the BMPCC4K when fully rigging both of them for my purposes. The GH5S is interesting to me because of the wider sensor and it's low-light capabilites, but the GH5's IBIS might allow me to use long lenses on my tripod for live recordings without worrying about camera shake. Also I'm using fast glass with a speedbooster and I'm shooting at 25 fps, so the GH5's low-light should be good enough for what I'm doing.

They just released a new firmware for the bmpcc4k, some people are saying it fixed a few things like the SSD not showing up issue.

Sounds like the gh5 might be the go for you based on things you're looking for though. You could always rent either camera and see if it's for you before you shell out, I guess.

The Clap
Sep 21, 2006

currently training to kill God

Honj Steak posted:

We have all three of those cameras at our production company (where I’m an editor who deals w the footage), so I might be in a unique position to help you out here.

It sounds like you want a GH5S. The GH5’s in-camera gimbal system can be nice sometimes, particularly for going straight-up handheld, but I’ve seen it wobble a few too many times to take it very seriously. If you’re primarily using a tripod, the GH5S is the obvious choice. It also has superior image quality, skin tones and general color reproduction.

You specified that you want something gradeable and Panasonic’s V-Log is very nice. You must make sure you have enough light though - V-log is known to really break down in the shadows if you’re shooting in a particularly low-light area at high ISO. I also like using their Cinelike D sometimes if we’re in a pinch and don’t have too much time for color/just want to spruce it up a bit later.

The BMPCC4K doesn’t do Blackmagic Raw just yet so I can’t really recommend it. We’ve been using BMRaw on our Ursa Minis and that codec is loving badass, it’s just not available on the pocket yet so until then I think the Pocket isn’t great for your situation.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
How are you handling your .braw? Editing straight in Resolve, proxies, or just transcoding everything? I'm a big fan of .braw as a codec so far, but I just cannot get into editing with Resolve at all so I've been doing proxies, but it seems like such a step backwards after years of just importing everything straight into Premiere.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I haven't actually tried it yet but there's a plugin you can buy to use natively in Premiere: https://autokroma.com/BRAW_Studio/index.html

Definitely on the same page re: editing in Resolve. Everything in the timeline just seems really clunky and weird to me.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
I actually saw that just after I posted, but I’ll have to wait until they release an OSX version. I'd like to think with the popularity of Blackmagic cameras Adobe will natively support it one day, but Adobe and good decisions don't always go hand in hand so we'll see.

Clunky is a good word for it. Love Resolve for grading, but not for anything else.

Gunjin fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Feb 11, 2019

The Clap
Sep 21, 2006

currently training to kill God

Gunjin posted:

How are you handling your .braw? Editing straight in Resolve, proxies, or just transcoding everything? I'm a big fan of .braw as a codec so far, but I just cannot get into editing with Resolve at all so I've been doing proxies, but it seems like such a step backwards after years of just importing everything straight into Premiere.

We’ve been doing a baseline correction on all .braw clips and exporting proxies for editing in Premiere, yeah. It does feel a bit archaic compared to how our workflows have worked for a few years now but I’m willing to do it if we have enough time to accommodate the process. If not we just shoot ProRes, no big deal.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

The Clap posted:

We have all three of those cameras at our production company (where I’m an editor who deals w the footage), so I might be in a unique position to help you out here.

It sounds like you want a GH5S. The GH5’s in-camera gimbal system can be nice sometimes, particularly for going straight-up handheld, but I’ve seen it wobble a few too many times to take it very seriously. If you’re primarily using a tripod, the GH5S is the obvious choice. It also has superior image quality, skin tones and general color reproduction.

You specified that you want something gradeable and Panasonic’s V-Log is very nice. You must make sure you have enough light though - V-log is known to really break down in the shadows if you’re shooting in a particularly low-light area at high ISO. I also like using their Cinelike D sometimes if we’re in a pinch and don’t have too much time for color/just want to spruce it up a bit later.

The BMPCC4K doesn’t do Blackmagic Raw just yet so I can’t really recommend it. We’ve been using BMRaw on our Ursa Minis and that codec is loving badass, it’s just not available on the pocket yet so until then I think the Pocket isn’t great for your situation.

the_lion posted:

They just released a new firmware for the bmpcc4k, some people are saying it fixed a few things like the SSD not showing up issue.

Sounds like the gh5 might be the go for you based on things you're looking for though. You could always rent either camera and see if it's for you before you shell out, I guess.

Thanks for your help! I decided to buy the GH5s since I don't think I benefit so much from IBIS and I prefer the wider viewing angle. Gonna have the camera some time in the next two weeks :v:

One more question: From what I've seen, the GH5s has stunning image quality also in 1080p. Is my assumption correct that there should actually be more colour information per pixel in the 200mbit/s 1080p files than in the 400mbit/s 4K files? Is this noticeable when colour grading? As I said in my recent post I don't really care about high resolution since the musicians I film usually want their skin to look soft anyway and I also don't really need to crop the image in post because I can plan my shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I’ve been meaning to fool around with recording video with my DSLR, nothing particular in mind beyond maybe some nature stuff out in the woods as of now. What’s the best software for editing video these days? I’ve got Windows and Linux available, and free or inexpensive would obviously be ideal.

I’m sure this has come up elsewhere in the thread but it’s long and I’m just working through the more recent postings.