Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
The funniest thing about all this is that this is all because the Jinnimag guy wanted to sell third party compatible Red Minimags and Red wouldn't let him. Red could've avoided all this just by letting him sell the drat things.

In any case, I'm happy this is happening to Red, they deserve it. All marketing bullshit and it's scary how the company and the fan base operate like a cult. I went to one Red event and I felt so uncomfortable there that I don't go to them anymore. I've known a few people who applied to work there but ended up turning down the job because no matter the job you're applying for, they tell you the main job is all about marketing the company and pulling more young saps who don't do any research into the Red cult. If you've ever interacted with any of the Red reps, it's never about answering straightforward questions about the camera or the tech; they just sidestep the questions and start talking about how many Ks their camera can do. Who the gently caress cares about how many Ks, I wanna know if you guys stopped putting the fan exhaust on the bottom of the goddamn camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
VoodooXT and everybody else, what's the consensus on ZCam? I really like the form factor of the E2. ~120fps 10 bit 4:2:2 4k, $2000. Sounds too good to be true.

EDIT: and m4/3 is actually a benefit in my case because I want to use it for macro videography with a deeper depth of field

Also here: have some old episodes of Movie Magic, this guy uploads them to his youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZJITfQRYHI

playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZJITfQRYHI

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Sep 23, 2019

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

bring back old gbs posted:

VoodooXT and everybody else, what's the consensus on ZCam? I really like the form factor of the E2. ~120fps 10 bit 4:2:2 4k, $2000. Sounds too good to be true.

EDIT: and m4/3 is actually a benefit in my case because I want to use it for macro videography with a deeper depth of field

I haven’t played with it myself but it looks cool. Footage seems to be pretty good and it’s in that important spec point of 4K 10 bit 422. The overcranking I’m kind of whatever about since I’m of the belief that standard cinema cameras should just shoot a max of 60 fps and if you need faster, rent another camera designed for high speed. Also not crazy about the m43 but that’s just me.

The one important point I’m wary about is customer support. That’s one of the big things I consider with cameras: if something happens, is there infrastructure to deal with it? It’s the reason why Kinefinity hasn’t managed to break in to America since they don’t have anything in the US that can deal with repairs. It’s something that worries me about ZCam, whether or not they can repair my gear if something happens. I don’t want them to turn out like early Red or BMD, where you came to them with a broken camera and they just shrugged and said, “Buy another one, we can’t repair it.”

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Would you seriously rent a Phantom for 120 FPS? I like having those higher-than-60 framerates available and dedicated high speed cameras are both expensive and a massive pain in the rear end to shoot with. I can’t imagine dealing with that if I didn’t need the 500+ FPS super slow mo kinda stuff.

I don’t think the Zcam looks too good to be true, more that you are definitely rolling the dice on support, long term reliability, etc.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

powderific posted:

Would you seriously rent a Phantom for 120 FPS? I like having those higher-than-60 framerates available and dedicated high speed cameras are both expensive and a massive pain in the rear end to shoot with. I can’t imagine dealing with that if I didn’t need the 500+ FPS super slow mo kinda stuff.

I don’t think the Zcam looks too good to be true, more that you are definitely rolling the dice on support, long term reliability, etc.

Again, I'm coming at it from a professional filmmaking perspective so that's more what I would do.

EDIT: Also about high speed over 60 fps, I largely don’t shoot anything beyond 60 unless I need something specific like a drop of water hitting the ground or something but that’s rare for what I do. I find things are too slow once I go beyond 60.

VoodooXT fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Sep 24, 2019

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Even in some mysterious realm of unlimited budgets I’d rather shoot with a normal camera than a Phantom for anything under 200fps. Do you seriously budget the day rate for a high speed camera for everything over 60? Or is it more you just don’t shoot more medium frame rates and it’s either 60 or 600?

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

powderific posted:

Even in some mysterious realm of unlimited budgets I’d rather shoot with a normal camera than a Phantom for anything under 200fps. Do you seriously budget the day rate for a high speed camera for everything over 60? Or is it more you just don’t shoot more medium frame rates and it’s either 60 or 600?

Majority of stuff I shoot is the basic 23.98/24 and most overcranked material is at 48 or 60. The rare times I've shot over 60, it's usually in the realm of 500 or 1000.

EDIT: So the answer is yes, I have to budget out the day rate for a HS camera.

VoodooXT fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Sep 24, 2019

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Sony Venice does 120. Not the same price range obviously but

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have a grip with Arri rosette they like? I’d prefer something with a hand strap since I’m in hiking around with the camera a lot, but that doesn’t seem to be so much of a thing outside the Canon/Sony/Panasonic camera specific grips.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

powderific posted:

Does anyone have a grip with Arri rosette they like? I’d prefer something with a hand strap since I’m in hiking around with the camera a lot, but that doesn’t seem to be so much of a thing outside the Canon/Sony/Panasonic camera specific grips.

I use this. It's functional and the rubber makes it comfortable without any slipping. I mainly use it in this configuration, minus the dogbones.

A lot of my other cinematographer friends/colleagues like this style but I've never been too fond of it.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I actually have that wooden one and also don’t like it. It’s nowhere near secure enough grip for me and my fingers seem to be a little long for it as they hit the metal mounting in a not comfortable way.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

powderific posted:

I actually have that wooden one and also don’t like it. It’s nowhere near secure enough grip for me and my fingers seem to be a little long for it as they hit the metal mounting in a not comfortable way.

You can also buy the Blackmagic handgrip separately now since they don't come included with the Ursa Mini Pro anymore. It's $200 but it's got an Arri rosette, the handstrap, and it has the LANC cable to trigger record/stop.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That’s actually what I’m using now so I may wind up just sticking with it. I’d been hoping for something with a little nicer shape.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
So, my director just let me know that our thesis film from film school is now out of the festival run so we can share it. Enjoy, guys (also NWS):

Tuesday Crowd

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Does the original BMPCC still hold up?

The 4K looks very nice but you can get the OG for half the price used sometimes even with lenses, batteries, and various accessories. I've watched a bunch of videos and although the new one looks very tempting having more money is also tempting.

I've not worked with either one, I've done some work with the old non-pocket Blackmagic Cinema Camera and I really liked it. I've heard the BMPCC had a lot of issues but most of them have been fixed.

I've watched a whole bunch of reviews on Youtube and the end result seems to be pretty similar for both cameras.

I could also theoretically get the 6K but I'm not sure what use I could possibly have for 6K, I have my doubts I'd use 4K except in exceptions.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

FreudianSlippers posted:

Does the original BMPCC still hold up?

The 4K looks very nice but you can get the OG for half the price used sometimes even with lenses, batteries, and various accessories. I've watched a bunch of videos and although the new one looks very tempting having more money is also tempting.

I've not worked with either one, I've done some work with the old non-pocket Blackmagic Cinema Camera and I really liked it. I've heard the BMPCC had a lot of issues but most of them have been fixed.

I've watched a whole bunch of reviews on Youtube and the end result seems to be pretty similar for both cameras.

I could also theoretically get the 6K but I'm not sure what use I could possibly have for 6K, I have my doubts I'd use 4K except in exceptions.

Apparently the SD cards for work the original are quite hard to find now unless you bought it as a kit secondhand. Also, be careful of the black sun problem with some units. Matt Scott has a post somewhere on his blog about setting one up, from memory. http://mattscottvisuals.com

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Hey goons! Just finished up my reel from my first year and a half of freelancing as a shooter/editor. I worked in EQ rental on the G&E side for 6 years, lost my job, picked up a camera and thrust myself into the freelancing world. Still got a lot to learn about this hustle, but proud of where Ive gotten so far.

Would love for you guys to check it out!

https://vimeo.com/365209251

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Anyone ever transferred digital to vhs and back to get that authentic look?

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10
I did that a few times back in like, 2009. Output via Avid Mojo to a S-VHS machine set to plain VHS, then did a few dubs back and forth with another S-VHS player. To really get the look to work I had to do stuff like mess with the tracking and a bunch of other settings for recording and playback. Once I had the look I wanted I ingested back through the Mojo-Box. What really stood out to me back then was how I had to REALLY mess up the picture far more than expected because 2009 youtube bitrates hid a lot of noise & distortion. Id actually upload the vid in 1080p60 now to get the interlacing-like high fps look and have all the chroma fuckery visible

Aix fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Nov 16, 2019

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Since we were talking about it upthread somewhere, figured I'd update that I've started using mostly blackmagic raw on my own projects and it looks really good. Like, the difference between 4.6k braw and UHD prores is way bigger than I'd expected. I haven't done any real techincal tests with it so some of the improvement might just be going to the full resolution output, but it has me feeling lot warmer towards my Blackmagic cameras than I had been.

Also rented an S1H for shoot that I knew would be way too low light for the UMP and really liked it. Battery life was great, having waveform in a small camera is cool, and it did what I needed for high ISO performance. Thought about picking one up as a second cam, but it's still awfully expensive and I'm not sure worth owning vs renting.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Hey yall, I'm trying to figure out some stuff for Christmas and so I was wondering - What is some equipment in the $50-$150 range that has made your life a lot easier on a daily basis while shooting?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Kinda depends on what you do and what you have, but some thoughts:

Noga/Israeli/equivalent arms
16x9 cinelock or knockoffs thereof
Bags or pouches from think tank, portabrace, whoever that fit your gear better than what you have now
A good multi tool
Nice gloves if you work in the cold

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

d0grent posted:

Hey yall, I'm trying to figure out some stuff for Christmas and so I was wondering - What is some equipment in the $50-$150 range that has made your life a lot easier on a daily basis while shooting?

i've never gotten a chance to use it but a gorilla pod if your cam is small enough

Also Aputure released the MC https://www.adorama.com/apmrrgbl.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiA2vjuBRCqARIsAJL5a-KKDtjklF3zxt7-WvtIDLhP28nUhMwmapSSKqg08MAcXyX_aA3wmQkaAhu7EALw_wcB

crazy backordered right now but they are ridiculously cheap small RGBW lights. Magnetic mounting on the back

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Based upon my experiences chasing the Big Boy across Wyoming in May I decided I need a gimbal for vehicular pacing shots. I can also think of several other applications for it, as it had previously been recommended to me in this topic as a way to avoid ground vibrations when filming close to the tracks.

B&H was selling the Zhiyun Crane 3 for $470 on Sunday so I picked one up. It arrived last night and while I'm going to need to play with the settings a bit and practice moving with it, overall I'm pretty happy. I don't think I would be if I'd spent $800+ a year ago but for this price it's an impressive piece of hardware.

I can't say the same about the phone app required to control advanced functions and change sensitivity settings, but it's usable. The wireless video feed to use my phone as a monitor isn't working (GH5 & Galaxy S7) but I haven't had time to troubleshoot it yet so hopefully I can get it to work.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I've been building a macro video setup and it's finally producing semi decent results:

https://i.imgur.com/6lGu3PJ.mp4
This is my destroyed phone screen

Right now it's just an elaborate time lapse rig, but the end goal is to have a real-time video robot for product videography

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

what lens you using?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Alan Smithee posted:

what lens you using?

Canon 60mm 2.8 macro with a 21mm extension tube and a closeup filter. I really want to try Laowa's macro lenses, the 5x 25mm or 2x 100mm both look really nice

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I got the laowa in PL mount

I don’t have a PL mount camera :negative:

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Alan Smithee posted:

drat, do you have that snorkel one?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Yeah. I’m hoping to test it on someone’s PL by the end of the month

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

Yeah. I’m hoping to test it on someone’s PL by the end of the month

If you’re in LA, I have a PL mount camera. :v:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

VoodooXT posted:

If you’re in LA, I have a PL mount camera. :v:

Sup

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

bring back old gbs posted:

I've been building a macro video setup and it's finally producing semi decent results:

https://i.imgur.com/6lGu3PJ.mp4
This is my destroyed phone screen

Right now it's just an elaborate time lapse rig, but the end goal is to have a real-time video robot for product videography

Cool, you'll have to show us the setup now.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008

Alan Smithee posted:

Is the OOOM out? Is that what you're talking about?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This thing I assume: https://www.venuslens.net/product/laowa-24mm-f-14-2x-macro-probe/

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Yeah, this beast. I want to try one so bad

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Oh man our Pocket Cam 6K and Ronin S came in yesterday and everyone is losing their minds. They immediately went out and used it as B-Cam to our Ursa Mini Pro on some interviews and it's freakin' stellar. These guys are juiced as hell. They all came back saying the RED is dead. (our RED... not RED in general obvi). Which of course the RED has it's place but drat it's nice to not have to lug it out when we need a b cam.

Then we hooked up the Xbox controller to the Ronin S and everyone lost their mind again. I love Blackmagic (and DJI)

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
This is more of an editing question but I can't think of a better place to ask it than here:

I want to put together a stinger, or bumper, for my YouTube videos (mostly planned DJ mixes, but hopefully some other content like tutorials or live videos in the future). I have a still image I've been using, you can see it here - I think it comes from the dorsal SONAR on a submarine - but I want to animate it. I like 'glitchy' effects, and also stuff that appears audio-reactive, like when the image zooms to appear to 'bump' to a big kickdrum, or shake radially to a sustained bass swell. So, what software (and plugins?) should I be working in? I have Premiere and After Effects, and I only know a little bit about the former, nothing about the latter. I know the 'glitchy' stuff and other effects described above are relatively simple things to pull off but haven't any idea where to start. Are there some tutorials that would help me to this end? And also, an important consideration...

The source image files I have for what I'm looking at are... not high-res. If I recall correctly, in order to get that still in 720p I had to blow the image up and apply a couple of blur effects to it, which still look fine because of the content. I'm planning on shooting and possibly cutting these upcoming videos in 4K - although maybe not, they're just DJ mixes after all and the few I've already posted in other locations look fine in 1080p. Given that I'm looking to 'glitch things up' I don't think it's a huge deal that the source image isn't the highest quality but I'm interested in hearing how make the distortion look like part of the aesthetic, and not just like a lazily-blown-up-and-animated image.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Mister Speaker posted:

This is more of an editing question but I can't think of a better place to ask it than here:

I want to put together a stinger, or bumper, for my YouTube videos (mostly planned DJ mixes, but hopefully some other content like tutorials or live videos in the future). I have a still image I've been using, you can see it here - I think it comes from the dorsal SONAR on a submarine - but I want to animate it. I like 'glitchy' effects, and also stuff that appears audio-reactive, like when the image zooms to appear to 'bump' to a big kickdrum, or shake radially to a sustained bass swell. So, what software (and plugins?) should I be working in? I have Premiere and After Effects, and I only know a little bit about the former, nothing about the latter. I know the 'glitchy' stuff and other effects described above are relatively simple things to pull off but haven't any idea where to start. Are there some tutorials that would help me to this end? And also, an important consideration...

The source image files I have for what I'm looking at are... not high-res. If I recall correctly, in order to get that still in 720p I had to blow the image up and apply a couple of blur effects to it, which still look fine because of the content. I'm planning on shooting and possibly cutting these upcoming videos in 4K - although maybe not, they're just DJ mixes after all and the few I've already posted in other locations look fine in 1080p. Given that I'm looking to 'glitch things up' I don't think it's a huge deal that the source image isn't the highest quality but I'm interested in hearing how make the distortion look like part of the aesthetic, and not just like a lazily-blown-up-and-animated image.

Whole bunch of different ways to do this. Good place to start in my opinion is Justin Odisho's tutorials in Prem and AE as well as Sonduck Films. Try things like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kd1SMC5j4i0

As someone who is literally a full-time editor I do want to just quickly give you a heads up and this is ONE MANS OPINION ONLY so take it for what you will: Glitch, zoom, and uber-flashy transitions are massively overused and sometimes clean, minimal animation is best. This is, of course, your call and I don't want to come across as a dick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Daaamn, thanks for the prompt reply! I'll definitely check out that video.

frytechnician posted:

As someone who is literally a full-time editor I do want to just quickly give you a heads up and this is ONE MANS OPINION ONLY so take it for what you will: Glitch, zoom, and uber-flashy transitions are massively overused and sometimes clean, minimal animation is best. This is, of course, your call and I don't want to come across as a dick.

Oh for sure, even just as a casual viewer I can tell
t̻͉̲͇͇h͍̗͘e̩̝̫̰̙s̹e̮͘ ́s̸̻͔͙̦̤o͖̩͈̣͚̳r̟̭͖͔̠ͅt̴̹̟̼ͅ ͚̠͍͇͞o͚̘̜͝f̢̙̩̻͖̱ͅ ̗̰̖̗͎̳̭t̝͓̣h̰̱̼ḭ͍͉͘n̶̫̙͙̘̥̜̺g̢̥̙̭̻̘̜s͉̬̬͓̺ͅ are overused. Given that I'm just looking to create a video bumper I'm not too worried about doing cliché stuff, necessarily. It also happens that one other hobby video project I'm looking to shoot and edit soon is a promo video for an arcade bar, so I'm doubly interested in the (also cliché) world of VHS-lookin', scanline-havin', colour-separatin' noisy synthwave stuff.