Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I don't know if this is the right place to post such things (I also posted it in the Bird Photography thread) but I made a thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKcZYao3kU0

It's my first real crack at the nature video genre and it's really just a working prototype putting footage together into something coherent. Thus no location establishing shots, overlay text, or any sort of intro/outro.

Shot on a Nikon D500 @ 4K30fps with a Nikon 200-500mm lens on a cheap gimbal mount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Hello yes gear experience question, i was going to buy an osmo with my tax return because I'm doing student documentary stuff and I currently have no real run-and-gun b-roll solution, but then my tax return turned out to be larger than I expected and the Osmo Pro caught my eye

Has anyone got any experience with it? The kit is basically a zenmuse X5 with a controller grip and a 15mm lens, the increased sensor size and probably better glass quality are extremely intriguing to me but it also costs literally twice as much as the standard osmo. I would like to know if it sucks or not basically, as it seems like an insane deal for the price.
What smartphone do you have? If it's something with a good camera like an iPhone 8/10 or Pixel 2 or something similar you might consider the Snoppa M1.

I've been running my Pixel 2 with Open Camera (so I can set the 4K video bitrate, I set mine to 90Mbps) on the Snoppa M1 and it's some really good stable footage. I had been considering the Osmo but the Snoppa is a fair bit cheaper and works with any phone or even with a GoPro with a cheap adaptor.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

melon cat posted:

Are there any particular aspects of the GH5 that you deserve particular focus?

I am especially curious about the robustness of the auto follow focus feature. Looks like it works great on people but I am planning on buying a GH5 + 100-400mm for wildlife/bird videography, so I'm wondering how it does with non-humans. (Currently I film with a D500 + 200-500mm and there focusing is either the non-continuous autofocus or manual focus)

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
You could potentially use something like this: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1315017-REG/ikan_ms_pro_beholder_3_axis_gimbal.html

If (and it's likely) that handle has a standard camera mount screw on the bottom of you you can hook it up to a ball-head on a tripod and between the electronic stabilizer and the GH5's internal stabilization it might do the trick pretty well.

I haven't done that sort of thing with a DSLR but I've done exactly that with my Pixel 2 and a Snoppa M1 stabilizer.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Forgive me if you've already tried something like these, but:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/233741-REG/Meade_07368_Vibration_Isolation_Pads.html

They're meant for a bit of a different purpose (dampening vibrations on telescopes and spotting scopes) but I would imagine that vibration reduction for telescopic/telephoto would translate to some pretty decent vibration reduction for wide angle as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Has anyone taken a look at the new DJI Osmo Pocket? Any opinions? 4k capable camera on a 3 axis gimbal in a package that'll fit in your palm. Looks pretty amazing.
4K60 at that. If I was doing more video work and vlogging at the moment I'd probably pick it up, it does look pretty spiffy.