Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

SquareDog posted:

On the other hand I'm all for them moving in to the NLE market with Resolve 11. I'm getting really tired of Avid and still don't want to use FCP.

Are they completely hauling the NLE in the next version because editing in resolve 10 is pretty much windows movie maker level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Blackmagic Ursa sounds amazing on paper. Seriously thinking about getting the EF mount one with a couple Samyang Cine lenses. But then again Blackmagic is poo poo with updating their current crop of cameras so I am wary of getting one and having to live with first batch problems that will probably never get fixed.

Is there a test footage or something shot with it anywhere? I haven't been able to find any so far.

keyframe fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Apr 9, 2014

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Do we have anyone here with an Ursa? I am going to be pulling the trigger on Ursa Mini when it is available in June and would love to hear how you liked working with the Ursa.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

1st AD posted:

Blackmagic made like 5 or 6 cameras using the same 4k sensor that was riddled with FPN issues despite it being a known problem after the first 4k model was out.

I'm assuming the updated Ursa is a new sensor, but I wouldn't hold my breath on them fixing any issues after it ships.

It's a miracle that the original BMCC was pretty much a dependable platform compared to almost everything else they've made.

Yea I am waiting to see if the 4k one is using the same sensor as the production camera ones or a new one. It is never a good idea to buy BM cameras before it is tested by others anyway.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

If you're going to go with a Shogun, you might as well get an a7S. Using a Shogun with a GH4 probably doesn't give you as much value:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsCWF8lu7OQ

OTOH, the a7RII, just announced, does internal 4K *and* has the sweet 5-axis image stabilization.

I need a review of the rII asap so I can decide between that and the Ursa mini :smith:

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Hi guys, does anyone here have the Ursa Mini 4.6k? I would love to chat with someone who is using it daily about things like how easy it is to operate and setup and what your shooting equipment is as far as lights/tripod/gimbal etc goes.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Yea I heard those too. I believe the magenta color issue is completely fixed as of firmware 4.0. And the integrated audio is good for scratch tracks and nothing else. I listened to a comparison vid and the internal audio sounds like rear end compared to pretty much any half decent mic out there but that's to be expected.

I am still leaning towards getting one because I am not sure there is anything out there for that price that has the image quality of UM 4.6. Just need to do some more research.

On another note what do you guys think of the GH5 so far? I have one on preorder. Thinking of making it my location scout/mess around and maybe a B cam. On paper it sounds pretty drat good. Was checking out that Neumann films vlog footage that's available for download and it holds up pretty well in Davinci for CC. Anyone else thinking of getting one?

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

powderific posted:

I like the specs of the GH5 on paper but I really don't like the footage I've seen out of the GH4 at all so I'm not sure what to expect.

Yea I agree, problem with cameras like GH4 is it is very hard to find footage of actual productions (good or bad). %99 of the footage is the typical shots of some environment with natural lighting or 120 fps cat/dog vids.

Though, there is decent stuff I found like:

https://vimeo.com/131641914

https://vimeo.com/194537015

If you want to play around with the gh5 ungraded 422 vlog footage neumann films have it available here (link is at the video description):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-qUZTTb1fY

I have never held a GH4 in my hands so I am not sure about it's ergonomics.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
I really wish this thread was more active. :smith:

If anyone is still reading this thread, can I get some recommendations for c-stand / light stands I am on a budget and all the ones I looked at locally are very expensive.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Thanks for the tips guys. I will ask around in case anyone is doing a firesale.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

red19fire posted:

Are you in NY/NJ? If so you can have my leaning magenta short rocky mountain C-stand for like $30. with a grip arm. I reduced my lighting to 2-3 pieces so I don't really need it anymore.

No I am in Vancouver, Canada.

What is your current lighting setup if you don't mind me asking?

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

StuntKid posted:

Would love for you guys to watch a short airsoft action film that I've been working on for months. I directed and edited it.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed making it. Shot on a RED Dragon 6K over the course of 2 days with mostly cloudy skies in November. We were struggling to get what we could with limited dayling. We only used lights in the cabin and maybe one other shot. Other than it was all natural and pretty run and gun. My DOP was Shawn Seifert. I was directing and also doing some operating for the really fast running shots. I hope you like it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLBsINfGtKM

That was pretty sweet man. Made me want to go there.

My one complaint would be the excessively shaky cam in most shots but disclaimer I am not a fan of Jason Bourne style of camwork.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Ok guys need advice.

Decided to cancel my GH5 preorder and go with a blackmagic pocket cinema camera while I save up for the Ursa Mini. Found a guy selling his with a tilta cage, zacuto eye piece and six batteries for less then what the cam costs brand new so jumped on it. Going to be picking up a metabones speedbooster and a sigma 18-35 for starters.

I have been watching lots of reviews of the camera but they are all old and discuss problems that might or might not exist anymore (like in cam sd card formatting that got added in a later fw)

Those of you that own one, what's the current state of things with it and what would you recommend for a first time user?

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

BonoMan posted:

That camera rules... I sold mine unfortunately a while back but I loved it.

My main two pieces of advice (other than the speed booster which you're already getting) is that you cannot see that lovely screen in the sunlight... At all. Like it's really not usable. So have an external viewing solution.

And the batteries don't last long either. I'd recommend a V-Mount adapter and couple of V Mount batteries as well.

Yea I am going to be getting a BM assist monitor as soon as I figure out my rig. Which brings me to my next question, what is a good rig for this thing? I got the camera and the sigma 18-35 today and holy poo poo sigma is a heavy lens, feels like they built it out of lead or something. I think I will pick up a Canon EF 35mm f2 IS as a lighter lens.

I heard a lot of people recommend the Contineo cage for the bmpcc but I can't find it anywhere and the website of the company that makes it is under construction for two weeks now. I think I will go with the Tilta rig meanwhile unless you guys have any suggestions.

PS: would you guys recommend this (price in canadian $)

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/pho/5945926712.html

keyframe fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Feb 18, 2017

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

powderific posted:

I love mine but can't comment on whether it's a good deal or not.

How much did you pay for yours?

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

powderific posted:

I bought it new, sooooo, retail? Like $250-ish usd but I don't really remember since it was 4 or 5 years ago.

Yea seems about the same for new here as well so I just ordered one from the manfrotto store.

Another question if you guys don't mind. I just picked up a used 7" BM assist 4k monitor/recorder. Looking for a good magic arm to mount it on. Any brand recommendations? Don't want to get something lovely and have the monitor wobble/fall off.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

VoodooXT posted:

The gold standard is Noga, though I've heard really good things about Bright Tangerine's Titan Arm.

Somebody else recommended me that as well but I contacted the company and couldn't get a solid date on when it will ship. Ended up ordering the edelkrone 2nd gen monitor/evf holder.

https://www.edelkrone.com/p/115/monitor-holder

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
So Blackmagic is announcing a new camera and something resolve related tomorrow at a live stream:

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

powderific posted:

Man, I hope that works out for you but it looks really fiddly compared to a noga arm.

Installed it today with the blackmagic assist 4k and it is rock solid, no wiggle on any position. Pretty happy with it so far.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Craigslist is full of people trying to flip their Ursa Mini 4.6k now to get the pro. :v:

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Ended up ordering the ursa mini pro, shoulder kit and the evf. Hopefully it will ship this week and not months later.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

powderific posted:

I did some kind of preorder that reserves my place in line but doesn't bill until they have the item in hand and ask me whether I really want it. Gonna go mess with a regular Ursa Mini tomorrow a bit to help me decide. It kinda seems like the camera I've been waiting for for years though.

Yea I played with a coworkers ursa mini 4.6k but I don't think it will compare to the pro other than to give you an idea of the size and weight. It is a great camera but the ergonomics of it wasn't for me. Pro seems to fix all those issues and then some.

Reviews are apparently hitting next week, found these initial thoughts articles meanwhile:

http://www.newsshooter.com/2017/03/06/initial-thoughts-after-field-testing-the-ursa-mini-pro/

http://www.redsharknews.com/production/item/4404-blackmagic-ursa-mini-pro-unboxing

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

powderific posted:

This shouldn't surprise anyone but the black magic rep told my salesperson that cameras are probably 3 weeks + from shipping to vendors.

What country? People already received theirs from the first batch. I talked to b&h two days ago and they said next batch will go out before the end of next week.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

powderific posted:

I'm in the US going through Ablecine in Chicago and another company local to me. It's definitely possible that they're giving priority to BH. The BM rep told my sales rep that it was at least three weeks before they'd see their first batch. The company local to me preordered twenty of em and don't think they'll be getting any for at least a month or two. It's possible that BlackMagic could surprise them, but I gotta get something sorted pretty soon as we're going into about a month and a half of heavy production where I won't be able to mess around with switching camera package mid-project.

It puts me in the weird position where I might have to spend enough on rentals over the next month and a half to make the price of a Varicam LT now about the same as an Ursa Mini Pro + renting till we're through this big push. The Varicam LT has been the main camera we're considering for a while so that wouldn't necessarily be a bad move, but the Ursa Mini Pro looked perfect for us and it's soooo much cheaper.

Yea shouldn't take months man. This bm guy posted on their official forum saying they will be full filling orders very fast. Hope you get yours soon.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
I think mine is shipping tomorrow. It's going to be one long weekend. :(

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

BonoMan posted:

Also lol you can bundle a PL Mount Ursa 4k in with the Ursa Mini for only $500 more. Talk about fire sale.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1325261-REG/blackmagic_design_bmd_cineursamupro46k_pl_bdl_ursa_mini_pro_and.html

That's worth it for an extra copy of davinci alone. Was going to switch my order to that but they told me it would put me on the back of the order queue and I need the camera fast for a project we are shooting. :(

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

powderific posted:

Wonder of wonders Ablecine actually did get my Mini Pro in today. The salesguy was extremely surprised. Maybe Blackmagic really has learned their lesson?

I am still waiting for a shipment notification. I think the snowstorm in ny hosed me over. :(

Looking forward to your impressions.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Mine shipped just now! :v:

Got everything minus the cfast card in preparation. I think I will stick with sd cards until NAB where they hopefully announce the price and release date of the SSD attachment. I can't get myself to pay for the stupid expensive cfast cards.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Mine gets delivered tomorrow. Hope this $500 (canadian) EGO Pro 256gb cfast card I bought actually works because the price was like one thirds of any other 256gb card.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Got the camera today. It is built like a tank. Powder did you feel the metal switch buttons are flimsy because the rest of the camera is built like you can break an anvil with it.

Things I like:

-Lots of external controls and programmable buttons.

-The menu OS is amazing. Shits on every other camera I used. No diving into menu after menu, everything is accessible and changeable in seconds.

-Image quality was absolutely amazing in the short tests I shot so far. Can't wait for the weekend to do a proper shoot with studio lighting. I didn't see any magenta cast whatsoever.

-Internal ND filters are the best.

-Good weight , with a lighter lens you can handheld without much strain. I will install the shoulder rig this weekend and see how that feels.

Things that can be improved:

-The side buttons are kinda hard to tell from each other by touch in my early days of using the camera. I kept hitting the side record button by accident number of times. I will look into if it is possible to map that to something else.

-the metal switch buttons are kinda hard to dial down because you have to stick your finger into that small crevice and you end up bumping it up by accident. Also the iris dial gets obscured by the lcd screen when it's open but I guess those buttons are meant to be used on a shoulder rig with the lcd closed.

-Handle should have had more adjustment options.

-I would have liked to have a bigger LCD but the UMP lcd is totally workable. I just wish it was an inch bigger.

I am sure I will have more to add as I use the camera but it is a really good bang for the buck from what I used so far. I think BM is finally learning to make actual usable cameras and it is good times for us indie shooters.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

VoodooXT posted:

Any issues with fixed pattern noise?

No issue with fpn in my initial tests but I will do more through testing this weekend.

powderific posted:

I think for me it was the screen, the metal switch buttons, and some of the other dials. I'm also perhaps unfairly judging it against the Varicam LT, which costs twice as much, since that was what I had planned on getting before the mini pro came out. The body doesn't feel as sturdy to me but some of that might be my perceptions skewing based on the buttons/screen.

My batteries and whatnot should arrive today and I actually have some time so I can pull the thing out of the closet it's been sitting in since it arrived.

Awesome man looking forward to hear what you think after shooting with it. What lenses are you going to be using? I only have the sigma 18-35 at the moment and getting a rokinon 85mm cine today.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Hey guys I don't have access to the manual right now. Does the ursa mini pro menu dial on the front side not do anything or is mine broken?

Edit: the manual pdf finally loaded on my phone. Apparently that button is only to access camera menu functions on a external display. It would have been cool if they let us map the iris dial to that.

melon cat posted:

I currently use the Manfrotto quick release plates on my MVH200AH. But I'm considering a switch to the Arca Swiss quick release plate system. But I don't know anything about the Arca Swiss system. Will Arca Swiss plates fit onto my MVH500AH tripod head?

And also- Arca Swiss plates look like they're quite small. Can they be used with a camcorder (like a Sony FS5), or are they only meant to be used with smaller DSLR/mirrorless bodies?

I believe the shoulder mounts for the fs5 (at least the ones I have seen) have the V-Wedge connector so you would need a Sony VCT-14 quick release plate. It is expensive but worth every penny imo.

keyframe fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Mar 31, 2017

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
I was worried that it won't work well but I came to realize after today that this manfrotto monopod with video head was a really good investment for walk around/quick setup shooting with the Ursa mini pro.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

ButtWolf posted:

I have to shoot a short video for class. Not a film class, im very new. What are some very basic tips to get the best look? I want the most filmy pro look i can achieve w whatever bullshit equipment we get. 24fps for sure right? I do have experience w coloring at least.itll mostly be filmed at dawn.
Is there a good trick for lowlight w poo poo equipment? Or is it going to automatically look like trash?

You can get a "filmy pro look" with an iphone if you know how to light and compose your shots. If you don't, even if you shoot with a Alexa it will look like poo poo. Basically there are no shortcuts sorry. But yea shooting 24fps is a good place to start.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
New firmware update out for ursa mini pro that activates the "still" button and lets you take dng raw stills.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

VoodooXT posted:

Hey powder and keyframe, any further words about the Ursa Mini Pro since you guys have had it for like 2 months now?

Quite enjoying mine as well. I ended up buying the blackmagic EVF which made shooting handheld and out in the sun a much more enjoyable thing.

My only gripe is weight. Fucker is heavy when fully kitted out but at least it got me going back to the gym lifting weights on a regular basis so I can shoot with it for more than 10 minutes without my shoulder and arm getting tired. :v:

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Has anyone here used an Easy Rig setup? Curious how intuitive it is in practice and if you can get nice smooth shots with it?

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

tanglewood1420 posted:

If by smooth you are imagining something like a steadicam or a gimbal, then no. What you do get though is the ability to do handheld shots at heights other than on your shoulder and also it significantly smooths out the shakiness of handheld shots, whilst still giving a handheld feel.

That is what I was hoping for. I will see if there is a place in Vancouver that rents them before I pull the trigger on one.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Guys can I get some lighting gear advice to buy/rent

I will be shooting some real estate promo videos in the near future. All I have for lighting is a bounce card and a small led light. Want to build a dependable lighting kit that won't break the bank and rent the heavy duty expensive stuff when I need it. Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

VoodooXT posted:

What's your budget for purchases?

1000-1500$ for lighting.