Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

I just created a Facebook Page for my films. I am no cinematographer, I shoot my own stuff mainly because I haven't found someone with whom I am compatible.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pages/Signpost-Chicago/145536181015?ref=ts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

I response to the film school question:
It really depends what you want to do. I feel that a cinematographer MUST go to film school, it is almost like a science degree. I think there are certain fundamentals you have to learn before you can dive into theory.

Sadly, in my case, I think if you want to be a writer or director you should go be a theater major and take films classes on the side. Film schools, I feel, are created for the camera. I know that sounds stupid, but look at how many student films look nice but are filled with terrible acting, storytelling, and sound. It is because all they push on you in school is how to work with the camera.

Also, if you do go to film school, get to know the theater kids because they are better at acting than your friends and desperate for film work. I don't know why I am the only one in my class that figured that one out.

Edit: I should also add... don't try to be a Steven Soderbergh (writer, director, DP, editor) while in school. You'll spread yourself too thin, not learn a drat thing, and burn out before the project is over. A good percentage of film-making is being able to communicate your vision to the rest of a crew, and that is a talent you should learn in school. If you want to do that later on, that is fine, but then you should write and direct your own projects (or even split that up), DP for other kids, edit for others. Focus each talent separately.

I also feel the best thing you can do for you film is find a good sound guy and pay him well.

York_M_Chan fucked around with this message at 23:46 on May 25, 2010

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

So, years ago I convinced my old high school to sell me their 16mm Bolex that was collecting dust at very little cost. The only problem was that the battery was dead and anyone who knew anything about the camera had retired. To give you an idea of it's age, the last person to touch the camera before me was in the 1970's and I bought the camera in 2001.

So, this camera has sat in my basement until I recently moved. I can't find any information on this battery. I even found the manual for the Bolex online but that didn't give me any clues.

The camera

The battery in question

Does anyone know anything about this type of batter? Is there an adapter I can get to make the motor run using today's technology?