Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

Steadiman posted:

Interesting development happening here:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/12/29/idUS381262194920111229

ARRI has apparently been a bit of a naughty boy, still I am glad they did it if it's true because atleast they finished what RED doesn't seem to be able to finish properly.

What did they finish?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!
I thought I could afford a Red Scarlet, but even after getting the base packs you need so much loving extra equipment to make it at all practical, and some of that poo poo is expensive! 10 000 USD for four SSD-cards!

So... Can anyone point me to any alternatives that are worth seriously investing in with a budget of around 25 000 USD or below? Excluding lenses and sticks and stuff, though a cheaper camera would mean more cash for lenses.

I'm of course able to do research, I just assume people like Steadiman could pull a more informed suggestion out of their asses than I could after a week of research :P

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

Tiresias posted:

Why does everyone want to own a camera? Is it a business decision, or a tool you want in your palette?

For me it's both. I do a lot of low-budget freelance-stuff on my own, which means I can keep the camera-rental-money for my self, and the customers will get really good images for the same price, but I also work in a small production company that does a lot of bigger stuff, which would also be able to rent from me at a really good price. I should be able to earn back the investment pretty quick, which makes it a very simple choice!

But despite writeoffs and investments and all that, the REAL reason is that I want a really good setup so I can shoot awesome looking shorts every other day :)

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

SquareDog posted:

A "real" DP only owns a light meter and some gaffer's glass. Although that hasn't stopped the success of many people across town, but I feel like it's a dead end endeavor in the long run.

You're right! I'm actually not an aspiring photographer, but an aspiring director, and the only reason I'm even considering this is that I just inherited a bunch of money and decided that if other people can waste their money on cars and stuff, I can waste 1/5 of my cash on a camera I might even earn back :)

I'm also planning on getting a simple lighting package, but I also have access to a bunch of lights and equipment from people I know in the business.

I guess calling it an investment is wrong, because it's not about that, it's more about shooting stuff being the most awesome loving thing in the world. Basically, I would rather put money in a camera than in a car, an apartment, a boat, or anything else, and I'm sick and tired of having to borrow lovely cameras or 5Ds whenever I get an awesome impulse!

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

Tiresias posted:

And 6 months from now, it'll be some other cobbled together, 60% = good enough moderately expensive magnesium alloy housed POS everyone will wet their pants to spend 5 figures on and ride for 6 months until the next cobbled together, 62% = good enough blah blah blah...

I can't keep up.

I like my Steadicam... a model designed almost a decade ago, based on technology and innovations dating back to the 1970's, and it works with everything out there.

This race just seems like fetishism.

For me it's about getting the most out of my money when I spend them, but as soon as I got my camera, I'll probably keep using it for years and years, because it's what I got and I don't really care if I could've gotten half a stop more latitude by waiting three more years to buy - what matters if what you point the camera at, after all.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

Mozzie posted:

If it actually had a s16 sensor it would be attractive, not this in-between poo poo.

Why? Isn't it worth the payoff, compared to ungradable rolling shutter moiré h264 dslr crap?

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

codyclarke posted:

Also, I tend to like deep focus, and long master shots. I'm not too keen on bokeh or excessively shallow focus stuff.

Pfff, I know you're just saying that to get to gently caress me.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

Steadiman posted:

Imagine just telling your computer to just key away everything beyond 16 feet!

Oh my god, the implications!

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

thehustler posted:

Is that really 20 lights at 20,000 watts each?

Lighting isn't my thing.

Yup!

If you pointed those at the same spot, would that be equivalent to a 400K??? Or does it not add up like that?

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!
A friend worked on a feature where they used a 100k rigged on the ladder of a decommissioned firetruck to basically light an entire small valley from a hilltop. Sounded pretty awesome!

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!
For bang for buck, I really like these Rokinon T1.5 lenses http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1016624-REG/rokinon_super_fast_t1_5_cine.html

They have declicked aperture, geared focus and aperture rings, are cine-size so they'll fit properly in rigs, and are very nice to pull focus with. No electronics though, but drat cheap.

Oh yeah, they come in Canon EF, Sony E, Sony A and Nikon F-mounts.

Greenplastic fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jun 7, 2014

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!
So I wanna whip up some cheap china balls, but incandescent light bulbs are now illegal and gone from europe! We can only buy LED and other energy-friendly bulbs. What kind of non-incandescent lightbulbs should I be looking for to make this work? Will be shooting h264 on an FS700. Don't know enough about this stuff to know what to look for. Any tips?

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!
I was shocked at how bad performance in Premiere had become, and scoured the internet for optimization tips. Then I discovered and removed the metric ton of condensed cat hair in the vents of my computer, and lo and behold, I can edit 4k media again without trouble.

Consequently I had to fire my cat from the editing assistant position - she is now banned from the desk area!

Edit: I thought this was the editing thread, so now I have to fire myself too

Greenplastic fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Sep 18, 2020

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!
Hey filmgoons, I could use a little advice if anyone has a minute.

I've been doing videography on the side for over a decade, but with covid I'm not getting any other work, so it looks like I'm gonna have to lean into the video stuff, but my camera is starting to get ooold, and it's really showing.

I'm currently wielding a Sony FS700, without the LOG/4K raw to recorder upgrade. I'm in Norway, and struggling to even find a shop that can perform the upgrade.

The question is, should I get a new camera, and what? My deliveries are soft, hard to grade, and the codec is dogshit. I'm kind of saving my self with a couple of cine-lenses I have that give a soft but pleasing image and kind of hipsterize the shittiness away a bit, but it's not holding up next to footage from newer cameras and doesn't really work as showreel-material anymore. Got complaints from an editor the other day about the technical quality, which is partly what prompted this post.

I can scrounge up around 4,000 usd / 3,500 euro, possibly pushing it to 6000 usd / 5000 euro if it's a futureproof solution. I get the VAT (25% in norway) refunded, which makes it go a bit further than retail price.

I use XLR for lapels and mics, I run and gun so really need built in ND and decent ergonomics.

Am I in the range for anything new or used that will work? It NEEDS to output a usable format, I can't handle grading more lovely 4:2:0 footage.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

powderific posted:

What lenses do you have? The FX6 just just came out and I think may wind up being the FS7's replacement as go-to freelancer camera, but it is full frame. It's $6k here, not sure about where you're at. A used FS7 should be well within your budget I'd think and a big upgrade while still having a lot of other similarities to the FS700.

There are a lot of good options in your price range, and you could consider going more of a mirrorless camera direction too. An A7SIII or S1H with the XLR jack pack would both be within budget (but again are both full frame so if your lenses are super35 not a great fit.) Pocket cinema camera 6k would be good too. I don't love the ergonomics and you only have a single mini XLR built in, but if you've been using the FS700 for years anything is gonna be an ergonomic upgrade.

For more traditional size cameras you could also go for an Ursa Mini Pro, though the big batteries and whatnot can get expensive, or a C300 MkII or C200 if you don't mind the canon ergos.

What kind of stuff are you doing?

Daaaamn, the FX6 looks incredible. Holy poo poo, I'm spreadsheeting it right now to see what the total cost would be with a lens and everything. The one thing I'm sceptical is the full frame though... Isn't the whole industry based on S35? Are there FF lenses with good manual zoom or are the reasonably priced ones all still-photo AF lenses? With a good lens that camera might be out of my maximum budget anyway, so I'll look a bit at the used market. Thanks for the tips!

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!
Oh, sorry, I have a set of cheap rokinons, but they have really really good manual focus rings and a pleasing look. Yeah, it makes sense to go for something cheaper then the FX6, especially since I can usually rent a better camera for bigger productions anyway

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!
I'll soon be working regularly with the Blackmagic 6K Pro, does anyone have experience with it or similar Blackmagic models and have any tips on how to make the the most of it?

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!
I worked with a bunch of stuff, but mostly with the fs700, and recently did a bunch of work with a a7s iii, shooting log for the first time, which went really well.

I'm well versed in camera tech in general, so I guess stuff that's particular to the camera or BmRaw or whatever, like "careful about shooting with this compression mode because x", "highest usable ISO is X " "if you rig like this you won't have access to the card slot"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!
Thanks for the tips! Gonna check out those LUTs - finding good ones can be hard with all the random stuff out there.

Any experience with shooting internally vs to an external SSD? Feels like so much can go wrong with an external drive, otoh you get so much storage and makes for easy transfers it seems