Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

MrOnBicycle posted:

Dude I love your site. The old school shittiness (meant in the nicest way possible!) is rad and sorely missed in todays streamline big corporation web.

I'll scan my 1965 Dodge Dart Manual when I get some free time, and I might even make a similar lovely (i.e awesome) website for it. I don't think there is MY1965 manual that I've found... at least last time I checked a year ago or so.

Bajaha posted:

+1

Hit me with that nostalgia baby, awe yessssssssss.

LOL. Yeah, it's staying like that. I lost interest in web design long ago. You're lucky it doesn't still have a pageview counter...
It was fairly easy when I had a copy of Adobe Dreamweaver CS4 courtesy of work, but that stopped working years ago with macOS updates.

I'm definitely keeping it up as long as I can. There's a dearth of repositories for this kind of info, certainly for other marques. It's all gotten hidden and monetized. I've had to resort to paying for the manuals for my Subaru and Crown Vic, and for the Cherokee I had. I did find the FSM for the AE86, but it's missing some stuff, I think. Electrical is usually separate, for example. On the Crown Vic, I ended up buy a paper manual for the wiring diagram. Literally no one has a PDF available. Thankfully found it cheap on eBay.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Used ATE brake grease on the pins and cylinder. I dunno if this is supposed to be used only on the cylinder but I'll be hosed if I am buying two types of grease for this.

Man, I feel that.
Looking good! I love making greasy nasty parts look decent again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
More piddly poo poo while I wait on the motor. Got the wheels and tires off to go get balanced, bled the brakes again and pedal is feeling alot better using that pressure bleeder. Had to monkey with the bleeder adapters so that killed some time. Got the crash bar off to clean up the crap behind it and then figure out where I'm putting the oil cooler.

Oil cooler will go in the yellow spot, I had thought about vertical mounting but the blue bar is blocking direct air from the bar and fascia. I also pretty much got shanghaied into swapping intakes to a VCM OTR setup, and that would introduce hot air to it, trying to avoid that.

Lets see needs new converter installed, oil cooler plumbed, a little bit of wiring fuckery, reassemble the front of the car and oh yea a motor and tune. Not sure when that'll be ready.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

poo poo. Coolant.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
Fitted new brakes on the S6, Brembo 17Z calipers. Feels great to get rid of the Lucas boat anchors.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Cross post from the hot hatch thread:

I installed a rear spoiler riser kit on the FiST. I had to trim 2” off the antenna so it wouldn’t scrape. It’s 2mm away now. We will see if it really keeps the back window any cleaner.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

That FiST rules and I hope you feel good about yourself.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I was changing to summer tires on the Mazda 6 when I remembered I also wanted to swap the brake pads. And the rear left disc looked like poo poo and the inspections guy told me last time it was on it's last legs so I swapped that too. Cue hours of bullshit: Penetrating oil, hitting with hammers, extensions for extra leverage on the wrench, trying weird extensions to get the impact driver into place, and finally the propane torch.

And the stupid calipers use a rotating motion so they have to be screwed back in and I didn't have a tool so I panic mocked up something.

While I was at it I cleaned up the calipers and cleaned out and regreased the pins. Left side came out well, right side was stuck even worse than the first and the piston is really hard to move, I think that caliper might be shot. I am not sure if it can be serviced liked the old Saab calipers could, like more modern stuff it seems designed to break and be replaced with new parts instead.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

This is from a few weeks ago:effort: Car was starting but not able to move under it's own power. We tracked it back to a sheared woodruff key on the crank. Found a match at tractor supply then did about a foot in 1st and reverse before running out of premix. Need to find proper oil and premix ration, the manual calls for leaded and straight weight oil, then get some tires ordered before I can properly test it around the neighborhood.

Inspection over off

Yup that would be the problem

What's left of it

Here's an exhaust

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Apr 14, 2024

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

His Divine Shadow posted:

I was changing to summer tires on the Mazda 6 when I remembered I also wanted to swap the brake pads. And the rear left disc looked like poo poo and the inspections guy told me last time it was on it's last legs so I swapped that too. Cue hours of bullshit: Penetrating oil, hitting with hammers, extensions for extra leverage on the wrench, trying weird extensions to get the impact driver into place, and finally the propane torch.

And the stupid calipers use a rotating motion so they have to be screwed back in and I didn't have a tool so I panic mocked up something.

While I was at it I cleaned up the calipers and cleaned out and regreased the pins. Left side came out well, right side was stuck even worse than the first and the piston is really hard to move, I think that caliper might be shot. I am not sure if it can be serviced liked the old Saab calipers could, like more modern stuff it seems designed to break and be replaced with new parts instead.

I did the rear brakes on my Corolla yesterday too. It also has the piston that gets screwed back in to the caliper.
I got one of those disc brake cubes hooked it up to a 3/8" drive extension of appropriate length, then a drill to socket adaptor And used my drill to turn them bitches back in. It worked pretty good, though unlike past times it took a bit of fuckery to get the pistons moving. Possibly because my stuff was so worn, the pistons may have been at the end of their travel and so needed a bit of goosing to get them moving. Once they started moving, it was ok though.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
On my Auris the rear pistons are also screw-in, but they're mirrored for some reason so the right screws in clockwise and the left counter-clockwise (or the other way around, I don't remember). And my tool only screws in clockwise, but it's nothing a plumbers wrench couldn't assist with.

EDIT: I did the fronts a couple of weeks ago, regular press in pistons there.

Nidhg00670000 fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Apr 14, 2024

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Well today was this years premiere for the Saab to go out on the road again:

The brakes work, though it feels like there might be air in them.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.
Fun fact: diffuser splitter aero stuff is fun and cool until you live somewhere that has the worst frost heaving asphalt on the planet. Bump at the bottom of a hill in comfort mode made a fun noise.

Spent about an hour in a ditch looking for little pieces of black plastic.

Then used up about 3 years worth of brain cells and a pile of fiberglass.

And here we have "Good enough"...

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

This is really the last couple days ... well, crap, I guess the last ~2 weeks.

2 weeks ago: Rotated tires.
Saturday morning: Tried to relearn TPMS with the TPMS relearn tool I picked up on amazon, failed.
Sunday afternoon: Used new scan tool to clear TPMS codes (it had 5 stored DTCs, I believe "trouble communicating" and one "invalid signal" per sensor), tried again, quickly and easily relearned.

Makes me think I might not have needed the TPMS relearn tool (there's supposed to be a way to do it by changing pressure, too) because it was probably the codes keeping it from working. Oh well, $10, learned something, have a tool just in case.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Put some retro stainless Saab hubcaps on my Mazda 6. I think it works!

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Over the weekend my friend and I did a single stage paint correction to remove some light imperfections from delivery, and applied cquartz 3.0 and gliss.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Yesterday my NC Miata started blinking the airbag light in the gauge cluster, and the passenger airbag was disabled. I thought it was something to do with the Sparco seat I installed but I read the code and got code 48, passenger side weight sensors.

So today I pulled the seat and drilled the rivets out of the lower rails to pull the sensors. I researched trying to find an elegant solution but all I got were different flavors of “bolt them in tension to a piece of aluminum or each other”, so I decided to just hose clamp them together back-to-back to tension the sensors.

I put them in a plastic bag for now and zip tied them to the lower seat rail temporarily while we 3D print a box to keep them safely tucked into.

What I didn’t count on is the seat rails being tensioned internally by the sensor assembly so they were very loose after the sensor hacking. I normally wouldn’t care as it’s an autocross car that doesn’t see passengers but I didn’t want to hear the rails rattling forever so I put some bolts into the empty holes in the rails and put nuts on the insides to limit/eliminate the rails’ travel.

All in all, loving annoying horrible job just to make a light not blink.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

The M3.5 bolts that hold on my rear wiper didn't want to come out.

I win.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

PhotoKirk posted:

I win.

Witchcraft!

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

PhotoKirk posted:

I win.

You and I are one of the 7 people who have ever used an easy out successfully. I think four more ofvthise people are also ai posters.

The bolt I needed one for was fairly loose gotta admit.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

The makers of easy outs must also own a hardened drill bit company.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

wesleywillis posted:

You and I are one of the 7 people who have ever used an easy out successfully. I think four more ofvthise people are also ai posters.

I also have a success story! Bolt from my motorcycle like 8 years ago.

I also have several failures. Pay no attention to those.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

wesleywillis posted:

I also used one of these successfully

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

No time for attempting a wheel alignment yet. Had -3 temps (yay spring weather) and the rear right brake was stuck so I am looking over the rear brakes instead. The parking brake was the culprit, the parking brake is mechanically actuated with a lever arm and wire. The wire didn't wanna move back and it got worse when cold. Some exercising of the thing got it moving again.

Brake pads are nearly worn out though and worn unevenly. They probably cannot move freely in the calipers. New pads ordered and I will be doing a cleanup of the rear brake calipers...

I will also apply raw linseed oil to all the other surfaces while I got access.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Fifty Three posted:

I also have a success story! Bolt from my motorcycle like 8 years ago.

I also have several failures. Pay no attention to those.

Yeah, I think I have about 12 -15 failures and one success story with them. That one success was the stub was already loose, I just COULD NOT grip that fucker or otherwise turn it with anything. I tried every single fuckin thing I could think of so after sending it to the bottom of the hole with a drill bit before actually drilling the hole in it, I shoved that poo poo in there turned it backwards and felt like allah himself when it came out.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
Started stripping down the old wagon for paint

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Oh baby

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Ugh. The ac is out on both of my vehicles. 08 4Runner with 212k and my 06 Prius with 102k. We're expecting a kid in August and my wife is insistent on having working ac, with good reason.

The Prius I'm almost certain is a bad compressor meaning it needs a new condenser etc and I've read the fix is long and painful, or expensive if you pay someone else to do it. It makes a not-so-great noise when the ac kicks on.

The 4runner, I'm not sure yet but it leaks. I recharged it a few years ago. I'm going to test the relay, then the compressor. If it's the compressor ... New condenser etc as well. I'm hoping it was just that I didn't put quite enough in. If the compressor seems fine, I might take it in to get a leak detection done.

Lord help me. Ac issues almost make me want to accept a monthly payment on a new car/s.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

My brake caliper renovation took a turn for the nastier. On the 4th and last caliper I finally ran into a bleeder valve that did not want to budge even with propane torch. It broke off. I tried a bunch of stuff before I drilled it out, hit the threads so I drilled out to the next size up and tapped it for M8. Now I need to go buy bleeder valves for that.

Here's a photo of happier times.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Verman posted:

Ugh. The ac is out on both of my vehicles. 08 4Runner with 212k and my 06 Prius with 102k. We're expecting a kid in August and my wife is insistent on having working ac, with good reason.

The Prius I'm almost certain is a bad compressor meaning it needs a new condenser etc and I've read the fix is long and painful, or expensive if you pay someone else to do it. It makes a not-so-great noise when the ac kicks on.

The 4runner, I'm not sure yet but it leaks. I recharged it a few years ago. I'm going to test the relay, then the compressor. If it's the compressor ... New condenser etc as well. I'm hoping it was just that I didn't put quite enough in. If the compressor seems fine, I might take it in to get a leak detection done.

Lord help me. Ac issues almost make me want to accept a monthly payment on a new car/s.

To quote a whole bunch of mechanics, and also hvac people "it's almost never the compressor"

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Verman posted:

I replaced the entire system in my 99 4Runner a few years ago. Got the whole kit off Rockauto for around $300, worst part was getting the lines through the firewall. I bought a $99 vacuum pump from Harbor Freight and a manifold to charge it.

Worked great, AC was ice cold after that... right up until my buddy totaled it. :cry:

RIP, lil 4Runner.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Background - my wife is probably a little dyslexic and one time she spelled my car’s brand as seen in the license plate below, and when I asked her wtf she was talking about, she asked the question in the frame.

Inside joke, yes, but it’s an easy way to make fun of my wife! (Who puts up with my poo poo with the utmost grace)

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
hell I like it haha

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Yeah that's funny and kinda adorable.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I put this on the gfs car a few weeks ago. We've gotten 5 or 6 honks.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1444464014/if-you-honk-at-me-i-will-kill-myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Verman posted:

Probably a minor leak on the 4Runner. Definitely get some UV dye in there, or, as you say, have a leak test done.
Prius is a bit more complex - I believe the compressor is electric, so it is entirely possible that its motor is dying. You only need a new condenser etc. if the compressor has actually self destructed or is starting to. That would mean chunks have been released into the system, which is detrimental to future performance. You generally just need a new drier if/when the system is opened to change out compressors, o-rings, etc.

wesleywillis posted:

To quote a whole bunch of mechanics, and also hvac people "it's almost never the compressor"

until it is. But usually, that's obvious.

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Background - my wife is probably a little dyslexic and one time she spelled my car’s brand as seen in the license plate below, and when I asked her wtf she was talking about, she asked the question in the frame.

Inside joke, yes, but it’s an easy way to make fun of my wife! (Who puts up with my poo poo with the utmost grace)

Love it.

I've got "Relax, I'm not a cop" on my Crown Vic's license frame.