Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Dust shield is no big. Ship it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

Panty Saluter posted:

Dust shield is no big. Ship it

Normally by the time I get to them, they are pretty well shot, but in this case they have plenty of life left so I did put it back on. Thankfully, I hadn't gotten too far beyond just getting the hub assembly on.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

New step bars on the Silverado since I’m old and have a garbage hip, and this thing is massively tall.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I wish GM did suicide doors for all their extended cab trucks. :(

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Minto Took posted:

I wish GM did suicide doors for all their extended cab trucks. :(

Blah. The suicide doors are annoying. Want to open the rear doors? Guess you gotta open the front first. Want to close the front door? Better make sure the rear is closed or you’ll get a bone shuddering THUNK and the door will just bounce out. It’s inconvenient at best when you’ve got kids getting in and out of the back.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

vOv My work truck is an extended cab Colorado and not having that B pillar makes moving poo poo in and out of the cab easier. I figured folks would be more likely to get a crew cab for family hauling.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

We have those new GM extended cab trucks at work and IMO they have less room than my 2001 with the suicide rear doors. Small children are about all that could comfortably sit back there, and as was pointed out the typical door is less convenient for hauling tools and equipment with the smaller door opening.

I think GM made them so small so they wouldn't be a serious option vs the crew cab with it's large sedan-sized rear seat.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

FCA don't even offer RAMs with extended cabs anymore.

e: Whoops, my bad. They still do.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
That was my experience with the extended cab too. I'd rather have suicide doors and no expectations of passengers than the regular short doors. But I get it, I remember that bone shuddering thunk and the inconvenience.

I also do not like the front end on this generation Silverado and Sierra, but it's somehow growing on me too. That one looks better than usual. It's the little protrusion on the fender that burns me, yet somehow a painted crossbar helps. Maybe in 10 years I'll actually like it.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

StormDrain posted:

That was my experience with the extended cab too. I'd rather have suicide doors and no expectations of passengers than the regular short doors. But I get it, I remember that bone shuddering thunk and the inconvenience.

I also do not like the front end on this generation Silverado and Sierra, but it's somehow growing on me too. That one looks better than usual. It's the little protrusion on the fender that burns me, yet somehow a painted crossbar helps. Maybe in 10 years I'll actually like it.

I don’t know what GM truck styling department heads have been smoking, but I don’t want any. Like 3 year models out of the past 10 Chevrolets have looked decent, the rest have been hot garbage. GMC is marginally better. Ford and Ram have been conservative but consistently ok at worst and nice at best. I got into my friend’s 2020 Silverado and it had a 1997 Cavalier level of hard plastic in the interior along with the 4 cylinder that gets worse mileage than the V8.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

angryrobots posted:

We have those new GM extended cab trucks at work and IMO they have less room than my 2001 with the suicide rear doors. Small children are about all that could comfortably sit back there, and as was pointed out the typical door is less convenient for hauling tools and equipment with the smaller door opening.

I think GM made them so small so they wouldn't be a serious option vs the crew cab with it's large sedan-sized rear seat.

This is the “dual cab” instead of the full “crew cab”, and it’s bigger than our ‘16 Colorado with the crew cab. My older son is 5’11” with long spider limbs and claims he fits better in the back of this than the Colorado. My father in law has an 06-ish 2500 with the extended cab and it’s way smaller in the back than this truck.

StormDrain posted:

We 100% won’t buy a truck with a chrome front end and wheels so Ford was out based on that alone. I know they make the sport package trucks but to get the painted grill and 5.0 with all the other options she wanted would have been a special order and more expensive.

Additionally, we did not love the way the ‘20 F150 drove, which was a disappointment. We had a ‘15 which we loved but we were left lukewarm at best on the new ones. Too much chrome, numb handling, 10-speed auto was not as punchy feeling as the GM 8-speed unit, and for the same price (at least locally), the Chevy was much better equipped.

wallaka posted:

I don’t know what GM truck styling department heads have been smoking, but I don’t want any. Like 3 year models out of the past 10 Chevrolets have looked decent, the rest have been hot garbage. GMC is marginally better. Ford and Ram have been conservative but consistently ok at worst and nice at best. I got into my friend’s 2020 Silverado and it had a 1997 Cavalier level of hard plastic in the interior along with the 4 cylinder that gets worse mileage than the V8.

The basic trim Silverado we drove was pretty crappy inside. Bad plastic steering wheel, hard fabric seats, no toys on the dash, etc. and she knew she didn’t want that right away, we were just seeing how the 5.3 felt.

We got the 5.3 which is proving to be surprisingly thrifty all things considered. Neither the dealer nor my wife reset the MPG calculator when she picked it up off the lot so it’s got a little bit of idle time and test drive time screwing it up but it seems to be at least as good as the Colorado’s consistent 19mpg while being a lot bigger and more powerful. I bet it will get an easy 20+.

Here’s the interior on ours, resplendent in leather and optional stuff

And my son’s favorite new feature compared to the old truck - he already loaded an SD card up with like 100Gb of music and put it in the slot on a permanent basis.

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Jun 24, 2020

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Is that a powered tailgate???

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

nadmonk posted:

Finally got all of the parts I needed for the Saab.
This all started because even though the pads have plenty of life left in them, the rotors themselves were crusty enough with rust on the inside they were starting to grind on the pads, especially in the rear. They were done some time before I bought the car, so I figured it was time.

I took off the wheels to get a look at what size rotors I needed to order (I guess there were 3 different possible fronts and 2 different possible rears on this car).

It looked like the CV boot might have been leaking.

Given the age of the car and the fact I drive it in the winter, I figured I might as well replace both front CV axles.

Also looked at the ball joint and it looked like it might be a little rough too. On the 9-3 that's not an individually replaceable piece. Given the age, I opted to replace both LCAs (are you sensing a theme?).

Looked at the rear wheel bearings and they seemed like their days were numbered:
https://i.imgur.com/mLQmGRV.gifv
Play with sound for maximum effect.
Decided to replace all wheel bearings and hub assemblies given the (say it with me!) age of the vehicle.

So if you're keeping score: front and rear rotors and pads, two CV axles, two LCAs
(I already replaced the shocks and struts with Bilstein B4s last year).

I accidentally took my front caliper apart, because Saab decided having a weird two part caliper was the way to go up front:

There is no piston in that side I'm holding.

The rears came out by hand after getting the nuts off the hub assembly. The fronts needed the slide hammer. Which is honestly a bit therapeutic.

More transmission fluid than I was anticipating drained when I pulled out the driver's side CV axles. Maybe 1/2 - 1 liter.
Decided to drain and swap the manual transmission fluid. That is for later this week, I have some Red Line on the way.
It will be fun, because standard Saab procedure for draining the MTF is drop that one subframe rail.
It can be done without removing that, I'll post pictures of that procedure when I do it.

When it came time to do the rear brakes, I realized I do not have an appropriate brake compressor tool. Weirdly, I haven't usually had cars that needed one, or usually the trick of using pliers to rotate it back in works fine.

It did not in this case. I did have a brake piston compressor though. So I put that in place, tightened a little bit, very carefully rotated the piston with a pair of channel locks (being extra careful to not grab or bind the boot).

A little bit of tightening and a little bit of turning and the piston was retracted in no time.

Doing the fronts, the brake caliper brackets were an absolute bastard to get off. The 1/2 inch impact had to wail on the bolts for a good 10-15 seconds before they came loose.
I wonder why?

Seriously? Who the hell puts red Loctite on brake caliper bracket bolts? Psychopaths, that's who.

Putting the fronts back together, can you see what's wrong?

If you said I'm a dumbass and forgot to put on the dust shield with the hub, congratulations, you are smarted than I was.

Oooooh shiny.

Brembo rotors and pads installed and in place. I didn't even lose any set screws (for more than an hour).

Won't be able to drive it until I replace the MTF, although it seems like it was overfilled. But other than that, all done!

All that work, and you didn't paint anything to keep it from becoming a rusty pile of garbage like the previous stuff did? I can't *stand* rusty brakes and suspension, and I live where it's only cosmetic, for the most part, rather than destructive.

StormDrain posted:

I'm not a fan, but I'm sure that will mellow over time. I absolutely did not like the '88 Chevy/GMC when they came out. Now, they're nostalgic!

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

Darchangel posted:

All that work, and you didn't paint anything to keep it from becoming a rusty pile of garbage like the previous stuff did? I can't *stand* rusty brakes and suspension, and I live where it's only cosmetic, for the most part, rather than destructive.

Feel free to swing by and paint them if you want.

Honestly, other than the rotors, there really wasn't anything damaged by rust. That's pretty light build up for a 15 year old car.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Krakkles posted:

Is that a powered tailgate???

Indeed it is.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

nadmonk posted:

Feel free to swing by and paint them if you want.

Honestly, other than the rotors, there really wasn't anything damaged by rust. That's pretty light build up for a 15 year old car.

LOL, if you happened to be in the DFW, TX area I might! It's just sort of one of my things.
I hate, hate, hate, hate, and really dislike, rust. The Northeast would kill my soul.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

Darchangel posted:

LOL, if you happened to be in the DFW, TX area I might! It's just sort of one of my things.
I hate, hate, hate, hate, and really dislike, rust. The Northeast would kill my soul.

I highly recommend you not move to the Midwest either, in that case.

Honestly, most of it is just cosmetic. Sure it doesn't look great, but keep up on maintenance and wash regularly during the winter and it's relatively ok. It does definitely impact vehicle life it you ignore it though.

For the Saab I spent $2,400 on, I'm not going to let it drive me nuts though :)

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
As someone who enjoys (to some degree) working on things, I love my 4runner and never want to replace it but I'm also very excited at the possibility of replacing it with another that won't have any midwest rust. I can't fathom what it would be like to work on a vehicle with just hand tools. No RB blaster, no heavy impact wrenches, not bringing a giant fuckoff hammer, chisel and dremel/angle grinder to do anything more than change the oil.

I'm pretty sure I still have rust in my eyes from all the years being under rusty cars. Midwest ... never again.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

Verman posted:

As someone who enjoys (to some degree) working on things, I love my 4runner and never want to replace it but I'm also very excited at the possibility of replacing it with another that won't have any midwest rust. I can't fathom what it would be like to work on a vehicle with just hand tools. No RB blaster, no heavy impact wrenches, not bringing a giant fuckoff hammer, chisel and dremel/angle grinder to do anything more than change the oil.

I'm pretty sure I still have rust in my eyes from all the years being under rusty cars. Midwest ... never again.

Every. drat. Time. With the rust in the eyes.

Although, are you even really working on a car if you don't have to give it the beans with the impact wrench?

If you are ever feeling nostalgic, you can come sit under our '88 4Runner:

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Yesterday I tried to diagnose why my ac on my ranger is pushing hot air.

The low side is reading 40psi, the high 300 at 75 deg. air temperature, which means it's most likely a bad compressor. I don't have the ability to drain the system (without venting it into the atmosphere) so it looks like I'm taking it to the shop tomorrow. :(

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

That sounds more like a clog somewhere, or wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy overcharged.

But it's coming apart if there's a clog anyway.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Verman posted:

This. I love my WRX to death, driving it and looking at it after I park and even lightly working on it makes me very happy. But, oh my god, I can't wait to replace it with something that isn't rusted. Every job that should be simple becomes a nightmare thanks to stuck fasteners and whatever else, and it totally erodes your sense of confidence in your own work.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
40/300 in an AC system sounds like a blockage somewhere on the high side. Hard to build 300psi of pressure with a bad compressor.

My wife's compressor finally gave up the ghost over the winter and dumped all the refrigerant, so I get to fix that before she starts working again. It was making all sorts of terrible noises last summer when it was working, so hopefully I don't have to rip the evap out of the dash as well. Luckily new compressor/condenser/valve/lines are only about $400

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

nadmonk posted:

Although, are you even really working on a car if you don't have to give it the beans with the impact wrench?

God dammit :nws: that poo poo.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
You know it's bad when the best looking metal in the whole photo is what was covered in grease from your blown CV boot.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

nadmonk posted:

Uhhh the fucks going on with that TRE at the idler arm? It looks like it's about to cause a really bad day.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

kastein posted:

Uhhh the fucks going on with that TRE at the idler arm? It looks like it's about to cause a really bad day.
I’ll bet that steering is super responsive.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Darchangel posted:

God dammit :nws: that poo poo.

At least you can still see that they're hex fasteners.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

As promised, how to drain the manual transmission on a Saab 9-3 (this is exactly the same on the 1st gen, although mine is a 2nd gen):

Step one: Get car up
Step two: Remove driver's side wheel (unless you have a right hand drive car, then remove the passenger side wheel).

You will see something like this:

Yes, I see the oil everywhere, no I am not certain where it's coming from. I've looked, I can't find a leak. It very well might be old because I've already replaced a number of gaskets and seals known to have small leaks as well as replace the crush washer for one of the power steering pump lines that had had a leak. Don't get distracted, that's not why we're here.

That plug right in the middle is the fill plug. Notice you can't see a drain plug in the picture, there is a subframe member in the way.

Here's a shot from underneath:

Looks tight doesn't it? That's because it is.
Both the fill and drain plugs are 8mm hex (this is the same on the 1st gen 9-3). Get the fill plug out first. I was able to get mine out with a 1/2" ratchet with 8 or 10" extension.

Now for the drain bolt. The shop manual wants you to drop the subframe on that side to access that. That isn't necessary.

There isn't enough room between the drain plug and the subframe to get a hex socket in, much less a socket on a ratchet. It is also too tight for an 8mm Allen wrench.
In the past I've done this by yanking the 8mm hex bit out of its socket, but I couldn't find mine so instead, I threw a spare 8mm Allen wrench in the vice and cut off a bit of the end. I tried it with a JIS screwdriver bit I had, but at about 1.5 inches, it was too long to fit.
I cut about 3/4" off the end of the Allen Wrench. Much shorter and you might have an issue with the next parts, you could probably go up to 1" long, but then clearance with the subframe becomes an issue.

You will need an 8mm box wrench (or spanner, if you are so inclined).
You can tell it isn't the first rodeo for mine:

I would highly recommend using two stacked if possible. It should be fine with one, but the first time I did this, it took a boatload of force to get it to move. Hence, how the wrench got its bend.

With the 3/4" long bit of the 8mm hex, you can see the clearance:

I put the wrench on and gave it a couple whacks with a mini sledge, while holding the top relatively still.
Once it breaks free enough to loosen the plug by hand, take out the hex bit, otherwise you probably won't have clearance to get everything out.

Fluid didn't look terrible:

Mmmmm, metal sludge:

Let drain, put plug back in snuggly (aka to torque spec), refill with appropriate MTF for your transmission up to the bottom of the fill hole (I'm going to be using Red Line MT-90 75W-90 GL-4, just haven't put it in yet), replace fill plug.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I see GM copied that for the Ion/Cobalt/HHR/G5. loving identical.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Krakkles posted:

I’ll bet that steering is super responsive.

I'm sure it's very responsive. To the road rather than the steering wheel.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

STR posted:

Yeah, it's really just an LK9 Ecotec, although called the B207L in the Saab. I think they changed a couple of things around on it, but pretty much the same.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

STR posted:

You know gm owned saab, right? :v:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Fun fact: both of my Ions had several hoses on the engine with Saab logos (heater core and a couple of others IIRC). That was on the L61 (2.2 N/A).

Guessing Saab used a Getrag gearbox too? Mine had the F23.. and that looks entirely too familiar.

Suburban Dad posted:

You know gm owned saab, right? :v:

Of course, though they at least tried to pretend the engine families were separate for awhile. :v:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Minto Took posted:

At least you can still see that they're hex fasteners.

A fair point.

STR posted:

Couldn't just loving plan ahead and put a divot in the subframe to allow for the plug, could they?

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

STR posted:

Fun fact: both of my Ions had several hoses on the engine with Saab logos (heater core and a couple of others IIRC). That was on the L61 (2.2 N/A).

Guessing Saab used a Getrag gearbox too? Mine had the F23.. and that looks entirely too familiar.

Of course, though they at least tried to pretend the engine families were separate for awhile. :v:

Mine has the F35 (Saab designed and built), the higher spec ones could be had with the GM MR6/F40. The 2 autos were both Aisins.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

They carried the 5 speed auto Aisan into the Ion, but only the sedan, and only 03-05 IIRC - the coupe got the VTi CVT that loved to fail every other oil change for the same years, I think a year or two of the Vue also got that pile of CVT if you got the 4 cyl + automatic combo (a couple of years of the V6 Vue got a Honda J35 and matching Honda transaxle). They went to the 4T45E for either 06-07 or 05-07 on the Ion. Anything not-Ion or Vue had the 4T45E as the only automatic option on a Delta.

IIRC normal Delta cars (Ion/Cobalt/G5/HHR/Vue) with a manual got a F23, SS on all of them got the F35?

On the Ion, if you were unlucky enough to wind up with a CVT coupe, you could swap the Aisin 5 speed auto in pretty easily - it bolted up, you needed the TCM from a sedan and possibly a subharness or twenty. 06+ had the TCM built into the PCM, with everything in the car on GM LAN and VIN coded, so it wasn't exactly easy to even do a manual swap on an 06+ without EFILive (HP Tuners didn't work with the L61 PCM from 06+).

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Got a really good deal on a Greddy exhaust and got it installed today.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
Looks great, post a video of the sound!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

On lovely drain/fill plug locations, I'm glad I never had to change the ATF on the Equinox I used to have. Typical pre-bailout GM that I'd have to remove an engine mount to get to the fill plug/dipstick (yes, the fill plug was also the dipstick).

net work error posted:

Got a really good deal on a Greddy exhaust and got it installed today.

How does it sound? I'm thinking of going full HKS.