Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I expect it will take years and en up at the Supreme Court with a ruling that States can’t tax other state residents that are not physically located in the state but it I not retroactive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I ordered all the parts to do a full service on the mx5 and started to do it all yesterday. I get to the water pump, pull it out of the box and am greeted with a completely different water pump than the one on the car. Luckily the current water pump is perfectly fine but y'know, I've taken everything to bits so it's an easy swap at that point so I don't have to do it later.

Dickheads.

Notice the timing was off on the crankshaft by a notch too, be interesting to see what difference it makes when I bolt it back together shortly.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Trail-spec hole patching on the Blazer. This is the hole that failed safety inspection so I am doing it first. The other side has a patch that isn’t quite a hole yet. I’ll do that one when time allows since I work 7 days a week pretty much every week. I happened to get out of work early today and after a fitful nap I decided to give this a shot. It’s my first time trying anything like this, and after it’s all patched, the whole bottom of the truck will get covered in bed liner for scrape protection off-road. I’ll have a few hundred $ in materials and a few hours’ time invested. Beats the $1200 body shop quote i got just for these two rocker panels.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Did you weld that in or glue it on?

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

StormDrain posted:

Did you weld that in or glue it on?

3M panel adhesive. I wish I knew how to weld but this will have to do, and for a light off-roader I think it will suffice. Just can’t have a HOLE flapping in the breeze. I wasn’t going for pretty, just functional.

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Sep 7, 2020

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Not gonna lie, I've definitely used aluminum foil HVAC tape and close matched spray paint to get through inspection before. I was lucky and the color of my Jeep was very close to krylon bright red. So I just cleaned it well, taped it, burnished the tape down with my thumbnail along the edges and shot some paint on it, they never even noticed :v:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Nice. That'll work I'm sure. Other than the obvious rust hole it seemed like nice clean metal outside. I'm obviously past that point in my project but I didn't hate it! That would be a good patch to learn on.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

StormDrain posted:

Nice. That'll work I'm sure. Other than the obvious rust hole it seemed like nice clean metal outside. I'm obviously past that point in my project but I didn't hate it! That would be a good patch to learn on.

That's a perfect place to learn. And super easy because you can use a joggler and just plug weld it.

https://www.amazon.com/Setter-Joggler-Panel-Flanging-Repair/dp/B01M0QSG33

That is seriously my favorite body repair tool. I had no idea those things existed until I started watching Project Binky.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Motronic posted:

That's a perfect place to learn. And super easy because you can use a joggler and just plug weld it.

That is seriously my favorite body repair tool. I had no idea those things existed until I started watching Project Binky.

Harbor Freight pneumatic flange was my go to for one of the patches. Just "PUCK-SHHHT" again and again, and didn't use much air either. Also very satisfying to punch holes in the sheet metal.

Tip for anyone buying one, oil it before every use, and wrap it in a paper towel if a little oil splatter is a problem.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Update: took the magnets and clamps off after 12 hours and everything seems copacetic

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Motronic posted:

Well poo poo, I'm going to have to buy one of those after watching what it does and how much easier it would make properly welding in panels.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Got the engine back together and in the car,

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Wow, that is some transformation

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Well poo poo, I'm going to have to buy one of those after watching what it does and how much easier it would make properly welding in panels.

They are pretty awesome but really hard on your hands. My arm aches after joggling one patch :(
They have a hole punch on the reverse side which is really useful too for doing plug welds

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Replaced a couple of odds and ends on the LS430, starting with the barely-working exterior mirror controls. The junkyard-picked replacement worked perfectly.

Ditto for the steering wheel tilt motor. The old one didn't work at all.

Getting this fucker back in the steering column took a little patience since the shaft kept going off-center, causing the shaft to hang up on its own threads. I'm just glad I didn't try to just send it and end up stripping the threads altogether.

All that's left on the interior front is to replace the broken cupholder and do something about the tired subwoofer in the back.

Meanwhile, still looking for a set of red/clear LED tail lights that don't cost $700 + $200 shipping and handling from the Land of Anime™. Even the cheap used/junk ones on Crooooober cost an arm and a leg in shipping costs. All of the cheaper and more local options are either sold out or have terrible-looking smoked lenses.

Grakkus posted:

Got the engine back together and in the car,

Nice.

Gotta put "driving a Citroen, preferrably a DS or CX" on my automotive bucket list.

90s Solo Cup fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Sep 8, 2020

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Saw a DS IRL yesterday. Even more glorious than pictures and videos make them out to be.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

kastein posted:

Not gonna lie, I've definitely used aluminum foil HVAC tape and close matched spray paint to get through inspection before. I was lucky and the color of my Jeep was very close to krylon bright red. So I just cleaned it well, taped it, burnished the tape down with my thumbnail along the edges and shot some paint on it, they never even noticed :v:

Gaff tape and black spray paint got the Toyota rocker panel through inspection last year, now the whole chunk fell out with a piece of floor. That means I'll have to use something a bit more substantial this year, like gluing in a stop sign.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

chrisgt posted:

Gaff tape and black spray paint got the Toyota rocker panel through inspection last year, now the whole chunk fell out with a piece of floor. That means I'll have to use something a bit more substantial this year, like gluing in a stop sign.

I'd figure a cheap welder and some sheet metal would do the trick. Glad to live in a region where patina-generating surface rust is the only rust to deal with.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Doing rusty sheet metal with a cheap flux core welder is a complete whore. Gluing is probably a better option

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Bed liner on the bottom of the Blazer. I did one whole can (32 oz) per side. There’s one spot where it randomly came out super gloppy but it’s on a fender so worst case I can pull it off and reapply just to that fender. But it’s a trail rig so meh. You can see the spot on the rear fender in this view.

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Sep 9, 2020

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

chrisgt posted:

Doing rusty sheet metal with a cheap flux core welder is a complete whore. Gluing is probably a better option

Can confirm that sheet metal welding in general with flux core is a bitch. See my thread regarding my RX-7.
Getting an actual MIG that I could put 0.025" wire in with gas was a definite step up.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Bed liner on the bottom of the Blazer. I did one whole can (32 oz) per side. There’s one spot where it randomly came out super gloppy but it’s on a fender so worst case I can pull it off and reapply just to that fender. But it’s a trail rig so meh. You can see the spot on the rear fender in this view.

Man, I haven't seen a 2 door GMT400 in ages. Wouldn't mind having one.

Nice job on the repair.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA
Not today, but last weekend. I drove up to MA from Annapolis to visit the boyfriend (who has a '14 ST) and we did a lot of car stuff. Friday was installation day - Massive adjustable front sway bar end links and Ronin solid shifter bushings. The bushings feel amazing, it's like going from a regular to a mechanical keyboard. It's so much more tactile.

Then Saturday we went for a hell of a drive. Out to the Kancamagus Highway in New Hampshire, then through the White Mountain National Forest. Took about 2 hours to get to where it started, 2.5ish to drive the route, then another 2 hours home. Put around 350 miles on the girl that day but it was an awesome drive, she handled perfectly. I could not have asked for a better birthday weekend.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Added a sub to my BRZ today:

I had tried a spare tire one before but it was too tall so I returned it. After a few months I found out Cerwin Vega started making a shallow version (this is 4.7" tall, most others I've found are 5.7") so I ordered it. Its not a perfect fit, most because that wing nut in the center sticks up above the sub. Is there a fastener type like a wing nut that is more flatter and can be tightened by hand so I can remove it in case I need to get the spare out?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

DrChu posted:

I had tried a spare tire one before but it was too tall so I returned it. After a few months I found out Cerwin Vega started making a shallow version (this is 4.7" tall, most others I've found are 5.7") so I ordered it. Its not a perfect fit, most because that wing nut in the center sticks up above the sub. Is there a fastener type like a wing nut that is more flatter and can be tightened by hand so I can remove it in case I need to get the spare out?

"wood coaster with a hole in the center and a nut glued in it"

another loser
Mar 25, 2001
Made the tough decision to sell my e30 that's been sitting around unloved. Took it out for a wash and some photos today.

Already re-considering my decision.... it doesn't need THAT much work...

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Wasabi the J posted:

I have been considering getting a big metal washer and JB welding a nut to the center hole and then a couple around it for grip.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

DrChu posted:

I have been considering getting a big metal washer and JB welding a nut to the center hole and then a couple around it for grip.

put a milk jug lid around the stack so you have something to grip on the edges, works better.

Oh btw the name of the nut you need is a "thumb nut" or "finger nut" gently caress it was gonna kill me if i didn't figure it out.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Sep 13, 2020

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

DrChu posted:

How does it wire up?

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Minto Took posted:

How does it wire up?

I have a Sony XAV-200 headunit so I used the sub-out from that along with the remote trigger. Power cable from battery and used a ground near the factory amp. It also has high-level inputs if you want to tap into speaker lines instead, and it can use that signal to turn on so you wouldn't have to run a remote trigger.

Wasabi the J posted:

put a milk jug lid around the stack so you have something to grip on the edges, works better.

Oh btw the name of the nut you need is a "thumb nut" or "finger nut" gently caress it was gonna kill me if i didn't figure it out.
Thanks, searching for those also led me to "knurled nut" which may work as well.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

DrChu posted:

That's a pretty clever setup, nice

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

DrChu posted:

What you probably want are round thumb nuts. In particular the low profile variety.

https://www.mcmaster.com/nuts/thumb-nuts/low-profile-thumb-nuts-7/
https://www.mcmaster.com/nuts/thumb-nuts/reinforced-plastic-knurled-head-thumb-nuts/

Note that I'm just using McMaster as a reference. Depending on the thread size, you may have decent luck find them at hardware stores especially US threads.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Night Danger Moose posted:

Not today, but last weekend. I drove up to MA from Annapolis to visit the boyfriend (who has a '14 ST) and we did a lot of car stuff. Friday was installation day - Massive adjustable front sway bar end links and Ronin solid shifter bushings. The bushings feel amazing, it's like going from a regular to a mechanical keyboard. It's so much more tactile.

Then Saturday we went for a hell of a drive. Out to the Kancamagus Highway in New Hampshire, then through the White Mountain National Forest. Took about 2 hours to get to where it started, 2.5ish to drive the route, then another 2 hours home. Put around 350 miles on the girl that day but it was an awesome drive, she handled perfectly. I could not have asked for a better birthday weekend.

The Kancamagus Highway is a fun one, I really want to take my biturbo out there and maybe up Washington this fall.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Had some leftover insulating gold tape, so I decided to wrap the hot-air intake on the Si hatch. I’ve been thinking about getting a true cold air setup but I’m not sure it’s worth it. Might just fab myself a heat shield.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Yesterday I got a bolt to move that I 100% did not expect to move, the rear diff drain plug was a hair's breadth from stripping but it cracked loose at the last possible moment and prevented my floor jack from launching my ratchet into orbit.

I finished up the job and did a celebratory beer shotgun. It was a good day.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Fifty Three posted:

Yesterday I got a bolt to move that I 100% did not expect to move, the rear diff drain plug was a hair's breadth from stripping but it cracked loose at the last possible moment and prevented my floor jack from launching my ratchet into orbit.

As someone who spent the last weekend loosening bolts that had no intention of coming loose, every important one did so I feel your contentment on this. It's so good.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Wasabi the J posted:

Molded plastic version of that is how a number of cars do it, so, viable.

Fifty Three posted:

Olympic Mathlete posted:

As someone who spent the last weekend loosening bolts that had no intention of coming loose, every important one did so I feel your contentment on this. It's so good.

A good vibe here.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So. Much. poo poo. Today.

Personal: I'm off for 2 days. Got my flu shot, there's a 50/50 chance I'm gonna feel like poo poo for 2-3 days starting tomorrow.

Car: The center taillamp stack is cracked; every time it rains, at least 1 or 2 bulbs in it shatters. Also wanted to get the USDM headlamp pigtails, so I could slam the original headlamps back in - car has JDM HID headlights, and I cut up the pigtails to wire up the HIDs. Amazing for lighting up the road and NOT being that dick putting HIDs into halogen housings, but they lack the amber reflector. I'm due for registration soon, which means safety/emissions check (that corner amber reflector is something they're supposed to check for.. 95% of people don't care so long as there's an amber bulb, it'd be my luck that I'd catch one of the 5%). Trip to the junkyard netted not only the pigtails I butchered for the HID headlights, but also the rear taillamp cluster (mine is cracked, it fills with water anytime it rains), AND a cargo cover that I can easily sell for 4-5x what I paid for it (thank you, LKQ, for putting that poor LL Bean in the far, far corner of the yard).

$50 haul:

Original halogen housings back on the car. Terrible photo, but it shows the difference between the corners - JDM one doesn't have any amber.

Helped roommate change the oil on his Lexus. Never again. He got REAL pissy when I dropped it off of the jack and the car actually bounced slightly. Dude... the suspension takes more of a hit when you pull into the driveway every day. and you have dreams of turning your AWD RX into some kind of insane offroader. It's a goddamned Camry with a lift and a laughable AWD system. If you wanted a car-based offroader, you should have taken better care of your WReX and slammed a lift on it.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

The '88 4Runner's rear glass motor has been making a godawful noise.
I had forgotten one of the screw holes had broken off of the body so only two of the three screws were holding it in place, kind of.

Looking up prices on used rear glass motors for 1st gen 4Runners, I struggled to find any that weren't $150-180.

However....I noticed that newer 4Runner left door window motors could be had for $25. The bolt pattern looked the same, just the connector style was different.

The new motor assembly:

The actual motor piece was shorter, but the screw holes matched right up.

Swapped the original motor's plug on:

So good so far:

https://i.imgur.com/yAGervY.gifv

Hell yeah! Success!
It even operates more smoothly and a touch more quickly than the original.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I tossed new headlight bulbs into my Prius. It has the HID's which can be problematic and the ones in it were flickering pretty badly. It's a bit of a bitch.

I got the passenger side done without doing anything crazy and I probably would have been able to do the drivers side without going hog wild if the retaining clip for the bulb hadn't loving popped out. It was worth the hassle though as the difference in light output is nuts and they also don't flicker. Next up I'm gonna polish the lenses.