Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Thanks! I'll have to order a few and see which ones work best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
Tuner called. Looks like my secondary fuel pump is leaking. I'm hoping it's just a loose fitting, but he won't have a free lift until next week. It's a bummer, but hopefully it's a quick fix and I'll have it by the end of the month.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I swapped in my warranty replacement power steering pump.... and then immediately removed it and reinstalled my old leaking one, because the new one acts like the pressure relief valve is sticking open about 80% of the time. That's two bad pumps in a row (first one was loud as poo poo, second one fails at being a hydraulic pump, and is also slightly noisy).

What the actual gently caress. I just ordered a seal kit and shaft bearing for the old pump, because clearly if I want a working, not leaking power steering pump, I just need to redo my 237k mile pump myself.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

NitroSpazzz posted:

This is what the newer Toyota OEM looks like and what I have on the way

And Nissan/Mazda.

Buy OEM if you can. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F66NZ2S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

PBCrunch posted:

BMW is the king of plumbing coolant through the alternator. Lots of other manufacturers have been putting decoupling clutches on alternators. This isn't as dumb as liquid cooling, but it is still adding complexity to something that works just fine.

:argh: The clutch on my alternator let go. USUALLY the Ford ones lock up and just make the belt squeal a bit on a full throttle upshift (which is how it initially failed), but mine eventually decoupled. Mostly - it would charge fine above ~2500ish (which is above where I normally sit at highway speeds). I did some redneckery and got it locked up for a bit, then it started spitting out 19+ volts. Then my junkyard one failed the same drat way. Rednecked that one enough to charge long enough to get a brand new OEM alternator...

I've run across a few people on /r/Crownvictoria wondering what the hell is making all that racket and why is their battery light on, but it's not a very common failure mode for these (and only the 200 amp police alternator ran the clutched pulley on the Vics). I know it's much more common for VW alternators to have the clutch fail open.

Panty Saluter posted:

If there's a more British car phrase than "liquid cooled alternator" I haven't heard it

Old post, but Cadillac also did this for several years on the Northstar alternator. The engine bay on most Northstar cars is tight too.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Tomorrow is the day it goes in. Would be able to do first start this weekend but my header is still at the local powder shop for cerakote and the exhaust I bought from someone online is taking it sweet rear end time.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

BlackMK4 posted:

Tomorrow is the day it goes in. Would be able to do first start this weekend but my header is still at the local powder shop for cerakote and the exhaust I bought from someone online is taking it sweet rear end time.

Ew gross, Honda.

i love it of course

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

BlackMK4 posted:

What is that on the rear of the block above the adapter plate? That looks like it would be a mega pain in the butt if it breaks while in the car.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Ew gross, Honda.

i love it of course

Honda best :love:

Nidhg00670000 posted:

What is that on the rear of the block above the adapter plate? That looks like it would be a mega pain in the butt if it breaks while in the car.

That is the water outlet for the head. Large right exit goes to the radiator, smaller left exit is not on the normal KPower BRZ piece but I am sending it to the thermostat to help it open earlier and improve the horrible bleeding issue these swaps have.

I agree, not idea, right against the firewall.

Currently taking a break because trying to get the transmission and motor mated solo is kicking my rear end.

I ordered the Sachs clutch/PP from Germany, I figured the Sachs Sport Metallic would be a full face but I was wrong, so hopefully it isn't as bad as I am expecting. There isn't much worse than an over clutched car.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Having put a SBC into the truck and try to mate it by myself yes it sucks.

Edit: might as well throw an update in. C10 “runs” on the sniper and fancy phone app distributor. Took way longer than it should since I plumbed the feed and return backwards on the fuel tank so ended up dropping it thinking the pump sock wasn’t down enough in the tank. It was and I just plumbed it backwards.

I think I have the firing order wrong as it is backfiring in two cylinders but I didn’t want to run it for long and mess around with it as I need to replace the high pressure power steering hose as if I run it dry it will fail and then I have to replace that as well. I have what so need to do it tomorrow when it is cooler again.

BigPaddy fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 21, 2022

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

BigPaddy posted:

I have what so need to do it tomorrow when it is cooler again.
It is hell out there right now, I don't blame you.

Shitload more room behind the motor than I expected. It could go back another 2.5-3" with a drysump, which would roughly put it inline with a S2000 in terms of motor position relative to shock towers.

Hard to judge by pictures, but the trans/engine are set back a few inches from stock as-is.

Anyway, I should be able to wrap up the remainder of the poo poo tomorrow but I'm still waiting on my header from the ceramic dude so no start

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Spent a good portion of today working on my 1966 Ford Falcon ute.

As I will be moving home soon, I needed to bleed the brakes on it. A cousin came around to pump the pedal as I bled them. Sadly one wheel didn't want to bleed, but still got three good wheels, perfect for driving on and off a flat bed.

Changed the oil on it and replaced the fuel filter. The fuel hose I got was a bit too loose and was allowing fuel to leak. Thankfully the old hose was still in good condition.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

BlackMK4 posted:

Shitload more room behind the motor than I expected. It could go back another 2.5-3" with a drysump, which would roughly put it inline with a S2000 in terms of motor position relative to shock towers.

I feel like it’s gotta go another 8-10” to get to S2000 levels of front-mid-engine. Even the accessory drive is behind the shock towers on the S.

Either way I’m excited to hear this thing start up and make tire smoke.

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 13:27 on May 22, 2022

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Imperador do Brasil posted:

I feel like it’s gotta go another 8-10” to get to S2000 levels of front-mid-engine. Even the accessory drive is behind the shock towers on the S.

Either way I’m excited to hear this thing start up and make tire smoke.

Ooof, I was definitely misremembering. Honda did it right.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Checked the firing order and yep 5 and 7 were backwards. Tidied up the wiring some more and realized my new alternator isn’t a 1 wire so need to wire the exciter wire so it will charge. Fuel filler neck should get here this week and then I can put the tank back in, secure the fuel lines and take it for a drive.

One thing I learned about the Holley sniper is that it still has an idle screw you need to adjust. Was confused when it was idling at 1800 rpm. Doesn’t say you need to do that in the instructions given so had to search for it and found about the screw.

Krakox
Oct 9, 2012
uncovered PO meddling evidence WRT fusible linkage and sparkplugs. plugs I had to gently, gently run a 14*1.25 tap on to remove the ancient antiseize. PO had tightened them to 20 nm, not 20 ft lbs, lol.

PO also had blown and replaced some fusible links and it looks like the Chrysler corporation had the FLs go to a sealed rubber connection to lead to another larger wire (tacked on with horrendous blobby solder). I gotta look at the service manual and see how to short term replace the blown one, medium term clean it up, long term replace the whole thing with a PDC.

feels good knowing things failed safely, and *I* am the owner to do things properly this time around. lol.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Finally got the right vinyl I needed to wrap the tailgate in prep of the sticker bomb. Why yes, I'm 14, why do you ask? It was way too difficult to track down a roll of anything wide and long enough that wasn't poo poo quality.

This way when I do eventually replace this iteration of the rotary support vehicle, I can just peel the vinyl off and slap it on the wall of my garage.

Still ran out of stickers though. Luckily I've already got a full cart from https://www.onehellofatown.com/

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Checked my cabin air filter on the Countryman on a whim and immediately ordered a new one.

I’m guessing it’s the 10-year-old original

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I unloaded a bike I haven't ridden in over a year and turned it into a set of injectors and a turbo for my stupid 7.3 project. So if all goes well this weekend it'll get the HPOP, lines, 4 line feed fuel line kit, the boost leak at the plenums fixed, a KC 63/68 300x, injectors & cups, and some other odds and ends.

I've never actually driven a 7.3 with 8 new injectors before, so this'll be interesting.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Krakox posted:

uncovered PO meddling evidence WRT fusible linkage and sparkplugs. plugs I had to gently, gently run a 14*1.25 tap on to remove the ancient antiseize. PO had tightened them to 20 nm, not 20 ft lbs, lol.

PO also had blown and replaced some fusible links and it looks like the Chrysler corporation had the FLs go to a sealed rubber connection to lead to another larger wire (tacked on with horrendous blobby solder). I gotta look at the service manual and see how to short term replace the blown one, medium term clean it up, long term replace the whole thing with a PDC.

feels good knowing things failed safely, and *I* am the owner to do things properly this time around. lol.

The FSM will recommend cutting it back and using new blobby solder.

Fusible links are sized (iirc) 2 or 4 gauges smaller than the wire they protect, while fuses are sized to protect the wire or load, whichever is more restrictive. Generally you size the fuse at 125% of the constant current rating required, but there are exceptions.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I waxed it

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Tint, roof wrap (glossy black PPF), removed some ugly chrome badges and swapped for clear sidemarkers on the GR86. Washed the AE86 and ordered some black plastic restoration products that I'll try this weekend. Perfect day out so I lined em up for some beauty shots.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Sorry to double post. Also replaced seals and a new-old-stock oil pan on the AE86 last week as mine looked like someone went to town with a bat. New timing cover and my uggo engine bay makes me grin ear to ear.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I realized that there was more rust than I had cut out already:

So I cut that out, too:

Made and welded in one of the pieces I already had a template for

Template for the larger patch:

LOTS of fettling to get the patch to fit right:

It bends like three different directions up there at the the corner, and the side tapers in going toward the front. What a pain.

I had some gaps that were horrendous, and the patch is one gauge size thicker than the original sheetmetal, but I got it burnt in. It's ugly but solid.

Ground back enough that it won't make a lump under the carpet:

I almost ground through on the inside seam, and had to re-weld that - while blowing through, so that got messy, but oh, well. Maybe someday I'll be a decent welder.

Still need to patch the other small rectangle, but I was done for the time being, so out came the galvanizing spray:

I'll get seam sealer on that overlap underneath before I put some paint under there.
My poor bent up frame rails. Thanks, Previous Owner!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Darchangel posted:

I realized that there was more rust than I had cut out already:
Every post of yours reminds me of JuiceBox, I love it. :)

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

This was a while ago, but I did oil changes and put summer shoes on my car. 0W-20 Valvoline for the Civic and 0W-20 Mobil 1 for my 86. Probably going to use Royal Purple 0W-20 next for both cars since Summit sells it by six gallons.

Still have the factory Primacy HPs for my 86’s stock wheels. They’ll be replaced with Pilot Sports or wider wheels soon enough.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
Heard back from the tuner today. Made 600 whp and 540 ft lbs on 93 @ 9.5 psi boost. He's having some issues with the flex fuel sensor I bought, so I hope he can get this sorted and I can get the car back. I'm excited to see his final numbers.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

EvilBeard posted:

Heard back from the tuner today. Made 600 whp and 540 ft lbs on 93 @ 9.5 psi boost. He's having some issues with the flex fuel sensor I bought, so I hope he can get this sorted and I can get the car back. I'm excited to see his final numbers.

:rms: Yes, please.

Not much left to do. Waiting on a couple of hose couplers for the right side of the motor since I need to do a bit of coolant line jogging. I went with a KPower K24 Miata water outlet and opted to not move the wiring harness all over which ends up cleaner and has another advantage of an additional left hand side outlet.

Header is back from ceramic coating but I want to sort the water line first.

Oh, I also still have to pump out an entire tank of E95. gently caress.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

BlackMK4 posted:

That looks so good in there.

For pumping out the tank can you get access to the fuel pump easily? We pumped out the tank of the E30 this spring by connecting a jump box to the fuel pump this disconnected the connection at the fuel rail and diverted it into some five gallon jugs. Was pretty painless but it is a much older car.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

What heresy is this engine??

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Wasabi the J posted:

Part of the ritual first-start for a k swap is to drain all the oil and run it for a few hours to get that Subaru™ sound back.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

:rms: Yes, please.

Not much left to do. Waiting on a couple of hose couplers for the right side of the motor since I need to do a bit of coolant line jogging. I went with a KPower K24 Miata water outlet and opted to not move the wiring harness all over which ends up cleaner and has another advantage of an additional left hand side outlet.

Header is back from ceramic coating but I want to sort the water line first.

That looks like it was supposed to be there the whole time.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
cant wait to see how much less weight this k-swap is than the stock lump

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Wait, what? The clutch master and reservoir is inboard of the brake master? :psyduck: Is there a linkage from the pedal to the cylinder?

I've never looked closely at the mechanicals of an 86, apologies if this is common knowledge.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

NitroSpazzz posted:

That looks so good in there.

For pumping out the tank can you get access to the fuel pump easily? We pumped out the tank of the E30 this spring by connecting a jump box to the fuel pump this disconnected the connection at the fuel rail and diverted it into some five gallon jugs. Was pretty painless but it is a much older car.

Yeah, but there is one complication (other than the surge tank) and that is that the tank is a saddle and uses some kind of suction jet to pull fuel from the right side of the saddle which apparently doesn't function when just pumping the tank out. I'll have to look at it since I'm avoiding opening the tank up.

Wasabi the J posted:

I'll just paint the valve cover blue and no one will be the wiser :v:

Hypnolobster posted:

Part of the ritual first-start for a k swap is to drain all the oil and run it for a few hours to get that Subaru™ sound back.

This, lol

honda whisperer posted:

That looks like it was supposed to be there the whole time.
There is a surprising amount of space around it. Hood clearance is super close, but I think it is just because of the Verus vents I have sticking down lower than the normal hood.

BraveUlysses posted:

cant wait to see how much less weight this k-swap is than the stock lump

Same. I don't remember if I posted weight here but the car with the Harrop supercharger kit and 60lb of ballast on the floor was 2901lb and 56/44 weight distribution.

glyph posted:

Wait, what? The clutch master and reservoir is inboard of the brake master? :psyduck: Is there a linkage from the pedal to the cylinder?

I've never looked closely at the mechanicals of an 86, apologies if this is common knowledge.

lol, what, I never noticed that either. I'll take a picture under there later because now I'm curious what is going on there too

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

lol, what, I never noticed that either. I'll take a picture under there later because now I'm curious what is going on there too

This is the OEM pedal assembly.

Kind of odd.

I wonder if you could get some Honda badges made up in the shape of the Subaru ones.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Its not my ride. Just my drill.
Actually its my boss's drill I just run the thing.

Also I'm an awful photographer

Tailpipe had a crack in it. Didn't get any before pics of the crack, or from before I started taking things apart because I'm lazy.

From the other side. Its supposed to be "soundproof". Though its not that loud really. We've got other machines that are worse.

Fuel tank sitting on the floor.

Behind the alternator is the muffler with the "cap" off of it. The cap contains the tailpipe. Its held on by a clamp and can be turned various directions to point the tail pipe in whatever
direction might be better depending on application. Score +1 for Hatz! It was a real motherfucker to get off and back on though.

Tig welds

Had to macgyver up a new system to clamp that bitch. The old one broke, and caused the tailpipe to vibrate back and forth, thus causing the crack.

Tower barely is short enough to fit inside the shop all the way up.

While I was in there, changed a fuel filter too. Should have been done a few weeks ago, but It was in a bad spot. - 1,000,000 for hatz!!
Also, fuel, other fuel, air and oil filter for this thing FOUR HUNDRED AND TWENTY (SMOKE TREEZ ER'RY DAY) DOLLARS!!
And only seem to be found at the Fuckin Hatz dealer!
Minus another million points for FUCKIN HATZ!!
At least the oil only needs to be done every 500 hours

I'm saying gently caress this for the day, and putting everything back together on Monday.

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 21:39 on May 27, 2022

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Note to anyone else who buys a Summit brand SBC harmonic balancer. They put this weight on them

And say that it is for SBC 400s only in tiny text at the bottom of the instructions. Other than that it runs, charges, cools etc…. Going to install the fuel tank for the last time for the 3rd time and take it for a drive tomorrow morning. As long as nothing else comes up then it will go for an alignment, header and collector gaskets done as there is a leak and gently caress it at this point. Going to have it go over to the transmission shop who built the 700r4 in it as well so they can check the kick down cable and all that before I drive it too far.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

BigPaddy posted:

Note to anyone else who buys a Summit brand SBC harmonic balancer. They put this weight on them

And say that it is for SBC 400s only in tiny text at the bottom of the instructions. Other than that it runs, charges, cools etc…. Going to install the fuel tank for the last time for the 3rd time and take it for a drive tomorrow morning. As long as nothing else comes up then it will go for an alignment, header and collector gaskets done as there is a leak and gently caress it at this point. Going to have it go over to the transmission shop who built the 700r4 in it as well so they can check the kick down cable and all that before I drive it too far.

I'd throw that info in a review. That's good info to have and if it's not called out anywhere, it'd be nice to see it when you buy the part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Yeah that is a good idea. I had to take a minute to process the logic behind putting that weight on the balancer and not just include it in a bag or something because the number of running SBC 400s can be counted on one hand because they are the poop. If someone was running an original 400 crank in a 350 block to make a 383 then sure ok, but it is easier and cheaper to just buy a 383 stroker kit that is internally balanced and machined to fit a 350 block without mucking about. Every time someone bring ups 351 Windsors cracking at certain torque levels just counter with the 400 SBC cracking between the bores, over heating because the water ports between the deck and block are too small and it needed to be externally balanced.

And breathe.