Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Drained the blinker fluid.

2004 Holden Rodeo ute - trayback with a liftgate (trailer hitch delete; additional hydraulics and electrical at the back end; no rear bumper)
The left brake light wasn't working, last night my wife asked me to find the spare bulb and swap it while she went to yoga. Fine, good, gotta have something to do while the oven heats up. I start taking out the 8 screws that hold the plastic cover over the brake, signal, and reversing lights and water starts pouring out. All three pots inside were submerged at least to the level of the bulbs, and everything was filthy. I cleaned it up as best I could and got the new bulb in place. When I tested it - which was surprisingly difficult to do, wedging things between the brake pedal and the driver's seat was very awkward - it made a sizzling sound. So, I pulled the bulb out again and bombed the whole area with INOX, WD-40's superior Australian alternative, and more cleaning. Before I put it back on I drilled some holes in the plastic light cover to allow any future water to drain. The other side was bone dry, just a bit dusty, so I let it be.

Perhaps because of the non-standard liftgate and the various modifications that had to be made to accommodate the hydraulics and other parts, or perhaps just because LOL GM, the plastic light covers are both stamped with "RIGHT SIDE", and the one on the left is upside down. This lines up the red plastic with the brake light (and the yellow and white parts where they need to be) but it's odd that the same part is used on both sides but is clearly marked as being for one side only. This ute has 300 000 km on it and has had an unknown number of owners - and we don't know when the liftgate was installed - so it's entirely possible that this was a what-parts-are-available fix at some time in the past. It doesn't matter, the lights work as they should, it's just a little odd. And now we have a nicely ventilated rear light cluster on the left side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

Gave the filthy thing a bath, it had been outside as I worked on the front suspension. Holy crap it needs a paint correction too. I've got a klunk when going straight up and down so I took the wheels off tonight and checked tightness, everything looked pretty good so I'm going to need to pull the shocks and inspect the poly bushings I installed and make sure the springs are all clocked right and crap. Oh well.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Mr-Spain posted:

Gave the filthy thing a bath, it had been outside as I worked on the front suspension. Holy crap it needs a paint correction too. I've got a klunk when going straight up and down so I took the wheels off tonight and checked tightness, everything looked pretty good so I'm going to need to pull the shocks and inspect the poly bushings I installed and make sure the springs are all clocked right and crap. Oh well.

that's hot. i love the color, especially on an understated beast such as that

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Thanks, yea when I went shopping for them it was the most obnoxious color available in my area. I wanted jungle green metallic but those are rare as hell.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
SLIH Red is just so good. Definitely on the shortlist if I ever decide to get my stupid project painted.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

New outer tie rod ends on the EP3 along with a once-over of the suspension bolts for tightness.

Steering feel is much improved, and alignment is scheduled for the 15th. I won’t really drive it til then since it’s an extra car, so I’m willing to wait for the best alignment shop in the area instead of taking it to a chain place sooner.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

everdave posted:

I’ve actually put this one in some kei vans and it was fine. By fine I mean it played the radio fine and I was able to play Spotify over Bluetooth through the tiny factory speakers. I only paid about $15 for mine tho but it was 2 years ago or so when I got them

That's exactly the unit I was eyeballing.
There are some other more expensive retro units, but I expect the RX-7 to be a loud sports car, so the audio system will likely be somewhat vestigial.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Darchangel posted:

There are some other more expensive retro units, but I expect the RX-7 to be a loud sports car, so the audio system will likely be somewhat vestigial.

It was more than fine in my installs for what it is.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Darchangel posted:

I bought one of these. They are a nice idea but let down by being total poo poo.
I think mine was £12.99.
The audio quality was poo poo, with lots of background noise.
A 10 year old tape only head unit with one of the those cassette converters would be better.

I have since replaced mine with a used Kenwood base level USB/radio unit that was about £10+postage off ebay. The kenwood is vastly superior.

Tomarse fucked around with this message at 23:56 on May 3, 2023

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Amazon has a 1 din CarPlay unit with a slightly oversized screen. If I can ever getting around to replacing the Fiero’s serpentine belt I plan to get one for it.

https://www.amazon.com/Carplay-METEESER-Bluetooth-Charging-External/

Many vendors, prices vary, this is just an example, blah blah blah.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Your link is broken.

https://www.amazon.com/Carplay-METEESER-Bluetooth-Charging-External/dp/B0BB1VR53F

You need the /dp/ and ASIN (Amazon Standard Identification Number) in the URL.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

STR posted:

Your link is broken.

https://www.amazon.com/Carplay-METEESER-Bluetooth-Charging-External/dp/B0BB1VR53F

You need the /dp/ and ASIN (Amazon Standard Identification Number) in the URL.

<3 thank you!

I tried to delete the loving page of bullshit tracking garbage and clearly failed.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Had some LED headlights laying around so into the Acty they went!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

RIP Paul Walker posted:

<3 thank you!

I tried to delete the loving page of bullshit tracking garbage and clearly failed.

for future reference, you don't even need the description. amazon.com/dp/<asin> is all that's needed

for example, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BB1VR53F

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Potenza RE-71RS, went to 225/50 vs the stock size of 205/60 so I could stick them on the repainted OEM wheels :c00l:

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 04:58 on May 6, 2023

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Nice! Thick tyre sidewalls are the best.

I changed auto trans fluid in my E39 and it was black as hell and probably haven't been changed in ages (if at all). Got the ZF OEM kit and it's like a different transmission now. Much smoother, much more responsive and over all nicer. I also poked around the lift points and found them to be pretty rusty on the inside sill bit in the rear. I guess I'll have to do some welding. The front ones were better, but need to get all the plastic panels off and do a proper look. I got as much loose stuff off as possible and coated it all in bilt hamber rust protection stuff. Other than bubbling on the rear arches and some tail gate stuff that we've taken care off the car is very clean.
Also did the power steering fluid. I was going to do the diff oil, but found out that I don't have any hex sockets big enough for the plugs...

Also, Quickjacks rule when it comes to lifting this car.

Edit: Oh and changing the tailgate struts was a massive improvement.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 20:29 on May 6, 2023

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
Finally jacked the car up and pulled the starter. headers cooked the post on the starter off in less than a year. Looks like some heat wrapping is going to have to be done. I can find solenoids for the starter, but I'm not sure I can find torx sockets small enough to remove said solenoid.

Now that the weather is nice, it's time to get rid of all the parts boxes and such from last year.

EvilBeard fucked around with this message at 22:46 on May 6, 2023

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Got the R32 back from a ~2 month shop visit. Tweaked a bunch of little things for QOL, got some new RE71-RS tires as the old set of Advans were from 2017, and got the car flex fuel tuned. I had the tuner go very conservative and we did 15psi on 93 octane for ~490whp and 20psi E55 for ~555whp (this was done on a Mustang dyno)

We also managed to get ATTESA working too, which turned out to be as simple as being ECU/tune related! :woop:

The car is a night and day difference from when I dropped it off, I'm super happy and now it is time to enjoy :)

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

32s are just such a great looking car. This era of Nissan was just banger after banger.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Olympic Mathlete posted:

32s are just such a great looking car. This era of Nissan was just banger after banger.

How far they've fallen

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

My nephew came to help me with the window, it was 10 times less pleasant than i thought it was going to be.

This is the first time in 10 years of ownership i've had a functioning drivers window button.

https://i.imgur.com/HdHNRVg.mp4

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Suburban Dad posted:

How far they've fallen

The 400Z looks like trash.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Full Collapse posted:

I don’t think it looks like trash but what a disappointment. Thank God I didn’t reserve one I considered it.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Full Collapse posted:

Pretty amazing that the 350/370 were around for like 20? years and that's what they came up with next. On paper the powertrain sounds nice, V6 TT with a 6 speed manual but also that sounds like something they could have done 20 years ago. :v:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Wait, I thought the ###Z always referred to engine size, not hp.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
The 400 just failed…imo they have no heart like Toyota. If it looked exactly how it does now and had a raw heart underneath it would be at least memorable. Literally it isn’t even mentioned on car social in any capacity, god help those who ordered them.

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

STR posted:

Wait, I thought the ###Z always referred to engine size, not hp.
Most (German) brands have substituted power ratings for displacement in model names for a while now, and the Infiniti Q50 400 is also a 3.0L, 400hp TT V6. Making more power with a smaller engine would confuse buyers, just put a big number on the trunk.

Then you have Cadillac, which settled on torque in nM for their naming logic.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

So my mom's CUV has 5 nM? That explains a lot. :v: I thought the 3.6 was just doing typical GM 3.6 things - like the timing system falling apart, pretty sure it's gonna need an engine before my birthday since the Cadillac dealer keeps handwaving it away saying "the CEL is normal, the shaky idle is normal, the hard starting is normal, the cam crank correlation codes are normal, you're just not used to driving such a heavy vehicle" until the warranty runs out.

everdave posted:

The 400 just failed…imo they have no heart like Toyota. If it looked exactly how it does now and had a raw heart underneath it would be at least memorable.

It looks incredibly generic to me. Kind of like a Miata and a Z had a drunken romp, and the resulting kid got stung by a bee. I do kind of like the rear taillights, it looks a bit like the Z32 lights. Beyond that it just looks like a generic sports coupe. :shrug: I didn't even know they had made this, I've yet to see one.

I get that they have CAFE standards to meet, and emissions... which means smaller, more powerful engines. But :corsair: I don't trust turbo (gasoline) engines when it comes to longevity. Diesels, absolutely, since they're (usually) overbuilt to begin with.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 04:51 on May 7, 2023

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Bought an 84' Chrysler Daytona about 2 weeks ago, today finally got the parts and time. 9 hours later, replaced the front rotors (previous owner did the pads but not the rotors), replaced the rear struts and did drums on this piece of poo poo and snapped a brake line in the process because the flare nut seized to the line. Naturally this happened after the parts stores closed so now I have a loop de loop for a brake line at the moment. I have not done any of this poo poo before. Doing all that and I still only get parking brake engagement on the left side, but that's a problem for another day

Belts are next, I need to figure out what I want to do with the rust spots on the exterior and how to deal with the very rusted floor under the drivers side. Also need to figure out whatever is causing the low to non-existent idle on start.

Edit: now with photo quality from this century!

Coolwhoami fucked around with this message at 14:37 on May 7, 2023

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Coolwhoami posted:

Bought an 84' Chrysler Daytona about 2 weeks ago, today finally got the parts and time. 9 hours later, replaced the front rotors (previous owner did the pads but not the rotors), replaced the rear struts and did drums on this piece of poo poo and snapped a brake line in the process because the flare nut seized to the line. Naturally this happened after the parts stores closed so now I have a loop de loop for a brake line at the moment. I have not done any of this poo poo before. Doing all that and I still only get parking brake engagement on the left side, but that's a problem for another day

Belts are next, I need to figure out what I want to do with the rust spots on the exterior and how to deal with the very rusted floor under the drivers side. Also need to figure out whatever is causing the low to non-existent idle on start.

gently caress. Yes.

:justpost: a thread.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

STR posted:

I don't trust turbo (gasoline) engines when it comes to longevity. Diesels, absolutely, since they're (usually) overbuilt to begin with.

Modern diesels have so much more to go wrong with them though so they're on their way out even in Europe.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

STR posted:

Diesels, absolutely, since they're (usually) overbuilt to begin with.

Not anymore. That died about 20 years ago.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

dissss posted:

Modern diesels have so much more to go wrong with them though so they're on their way out even in Europe.

They are on the way out since the eu governments have expressed to car manufacturers that, if they attempt to play with emissions again, they will gently caress them raw. Given that the latest euro emissions standards are incredibly stringent, oems will do diesels only on medium-big sizes which are not very competitive.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Fun Fact: The 2ZR-FXE 4-banger in 3rd-gen Priuses are apparently notorious for clogging up their EGR ports and pipes, which eventually causes their head gaskets to pop. I don't want this thing to go all Northstar on me, so lets crack open that EGR pipe and....

Oh dear. :ohdear:

Well, let's see what the rest of the EGR valve looks li....

:catstare:

Those four EGR ports at the top of that intake aren't supposed to have carbonized goop all over them. Or in them.

180k miles, so I'm guessing the PO never touched this stuff?

I didn't get pictures of getting all of that crap out due to just how loving messy the whole process was. Took a set of flexible wire brushes and went to work pulling and pushing all of that crap out. I didn't even get to the EGR cooler, which is probably 10x worse if the condition of the rest of the EGR system is anything to go by, but that means loving around with coolant lines and I had neither the time nor patience for that just yet.

May consider doing an oil catch can mod as other people seem to swear by it.

SlowBloke posted:

They are on the way out since the eu governments have expressed to car manufacturers that, if they attempt to play with emissions again, they will gently caress them raw. Given that the latest euro emissions standards are incredibly stringent, oems will do diesels only on medium-big sizes which are not very competitive.

I figured EVs are making diesels obsolete in the average passenger vehicle. Medium- to heavy-duty trucks are another story, although some fleets have already switched over to gassers due to the lower cost of upkeep and the emissions/def issue.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

90s Solo Cup posted:

I figured EVs are making diesels obsolete in the average passenger vehicle. Medium- to heavy-duty trucks are another story, although some fleets have already switched over to gassers due to the lower cost of upkeep and the emissions/def issue.

People are moving to petrol-ev or diesel-ev hybrids from pure diesels. BEV haven’t got the range and speed of charge to replace conventional diesels yet.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

90s Solo Cup posted:

[
May consider doing an oil catch can mod as other people seem to swear by it.

100% do a catch can, it solves so much hassle for very little pain of installing one. Especially if you have a DI car.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
How do catch can mods fare in freezing weather? I once considered doing it on a car but was scared off by people warning that it could freeze and ruin the engine.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

MrOnBicycle posted:

How do catch can mods fare in freezing weather? I once considered doing it on a car but was scared off by people warning that it could freeze and ruin the engine.

unless that thing is 100% full of oil, fine I'd think. It's getting warm air from the crankcase anyways.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I’ve had mine survive two Chicagoland winters without any problem. Just empty it every oil change unless it has a drain-back feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Some companies make kits that circulate coolant through to warm the catch can