Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

BlackMK4 posted:

Some companies make kits that circulate coolant through to warm the catch can

Adding in more failure modes, eek. I like the ones that drain back into the sump so you don't have to worry about junk like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Suburban Dad posted:

Adding in more failure modes, eek. I like the ones that drain back into the sump so you don't have to worry about junk like this.

Agreed there, much less of a mess too lol

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

threw in some cheap speakers that have been sitting in my garage for years.

The rear shelf sound insulation attaches to the stock speakers, so i'm going to have to figure something out.

The factory stereo is common ground, and has no L-R balance, and the right hand speakers front and rear are much much louder so i'm going to have to figure something out. I might just tear everything apart and run new wires to a new head unit.

I was thinking of adding a subwoofer but just have no patience for the whole car audio thing.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 23:23 on May 9, 2023

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

My 80 F-150 was similar, I wound up just running new wires for everything and abandoning the factory wiring (except for the switched +12V). The common ground doesn't play nice with any head unit that isn't from the 70s and 80s.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Powershift posted:

The rear shelf sound insulation attaches to the stock speakers, so i'm going to have to figure something out.

The factory stereo is common ground, and has no L-R balance, and the right hand speakers front and rear are much much louder so i'm going to have to figure something out. I might just tear everything apart and run new wires to a new head unit.

I was thinking of adding a subwoofer but just have no patience for the whole car audio thing.

audiocontrol makes a great high imp converter (will turn rear speaker wires into RCA inputs) or amplifiers that do the same thing, making installing a sub pretty simple.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
What I'm going to be doing to my wife's car is an AC compressor clutch. Or maybe a whole compressor, depending on whether it's actually seized or whether the clutch just decided to eat it randomly today.

Means I either need to take it someplace to get evacuated, or buy a little recovery machine. But I guess then I can actually do AC repairs in the future, at least on 134a stuff.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I've been checking auctions and haven't found the right deal on a recovery machine yet, I could really use a tire machine lately.

I was hoping I could post about how I changed out the timing parts on the XJ8 yesterday but I cleaned the garage well enough to make an attempt today. Fist time tearing into something with 4 cams.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Powershift posted:

Oh, wow - factory speakers!

Probably run new wires. It's not that hard in older vehicles like that.
A self-contained sub with hi-level (speaker) inputs tapped into the rear speakers would be your best bet. Should only need to run power, then - a lot of them can use input-sensing to turn on.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!

SpeedFreek posted:

I've been checking auctions and haven't found the right deal on a recovery machine yet, I could really use a tire machine lately.

I was hoping I could post about how I changed out the timing parts on the XJ8 yesterday but I cleaned the garage well enough to make an attempt today. Fist time tearing into something with 4 cams.

Are you looking for a full auto recovery machine, or one of the more basic ones? I was actually pleasantly surprised how inexpensive a new Robinair RG3 is, even if it is their light-duty model. Considering I'm not in the "time is money" mindset on my own junk, I'm willing to let the process take longer and be more hands-on than a full auto machine.

I'm surprised how cheap some of our used equipment gets auctioned off for. Someone scored our last tire balancer that got auctioned for like $50, but granted it was the last original machine for our location, installed back in 2004. Pretty low spin count, since it was tucked off in the corner of the last bay and really only got used if we were really swamped, or one of the other newer machines was down for service.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

PitViper posted:

What I'm going to be doing to my wife's car is an AC compressor clutch. Or maybe a whole compressor, depending on whether it's actually seized or whether the clutch just decided to eat it randomly today.

Means I either need to take it someplace to get evacuated, or buy a little recovery machine. But I guess then I can actually do AC repairs in the future, at least on 134a stuff.

Do you know that the compressor has poo poo itself or could it just be not turning on due to low pressure in the system?

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

PitViper posted:

Are you looking for a full auto recovery machine, or one of the more basic ones? I was actually pleasantly surprised how inexpensive a new Robinair RG3 is, even if it is their light-duty model. Considering I'm not in the "time is money" mindset on my own junk, I'm willing to let the process take longer and be more hands-on than a full auto machine.

I'm surprised how cheap some of our used equipment gets auctioned off for. Someone scored our last tire balancer that got auctioned for like $50, but granted it was the last original machine for our location, installed back in 2004. Pretty low spin count, since it was tucked off in the corner of the last bay and really only got used if we were really swamped, or one of the other newer machines was down for service.

AC machine is one of those if I can get it for less than $100 it would be worth it for the 1-2x a year I'd use it, like a tire mounting machine that I should have bought for $60 when I had the chance. If something rarely used is cheap enough it becomes something worth storing.

On a different note gently caress lifetime fill transmissions! Is there a trick I'm missing on how to disconnect the cooler lines from the radiator without loosing a bunch of ATF?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I noticed that an enterprising Subaru owner posted a gas cap tether to replace the oft-broken one, so I acquired some TPU to print that (and other things) in:

TPU is also pretty neat!

That fit and worked a treat on our Outback.

Since I was learning to use Fusion 360, I investigated importing TinkerCAD models into it, and what do you know - since they are both Autodesk products, there is a direct path for export to Fusion 360. It works great, BTW. I exported the Crown Vic dash cam model (I posted that in here, right?), and adjusted a few things, noticeably extending some surfaces to eliminate awkward insets and spaces, and filleting a bunch of edges.

The biggest change I made was an offshoot that makes the bottom solid, for use with clear filament:

Which I then quickly implemented:

(must have missed a bit of black filament while cleaning the plate...)

It seems to transmit (and diffuse) light well just holding it up against lights.

I also just designed a gasket - easy to do in Fusion 360 by just extruding the top mounting surface of the model as a new object and offsetting the inner opening by 0.5mm:

The 3D printed TPU gasket fit great.

Assembly fit as expected in the car (I mean, why not? All I did was fill in the holes, and round off some corners.)

(yes, that little bit of black filament that snuck in annoys me.)

Light transmission seems adequate:

It looked fine in the evening, as far as lighting the license plate goes.

Next up, I wanted to change how mu phone is mounted in the Crown Vic. I have Car Play, so I don't need to look at it constantly, therefore it was mounted to my center console (prior post detailed it) but it was a little too close to the cup holders, getting in the way when both holders were used with typical American 50-gallon-drum fast food drinks. I wanted to raise it and scoot it back a bit, easily done with a piece of bar stuck the rear of the catch-all slot.
Now, I was planning on using a piece of aluminum or steel bar, but I have a 3D printer. So I whipped out a design and printed it.

First off, this was my first try at printing ABS, and the Anker hated it.
First attempt popped loose and got pushed off of the bed. Second attempt, I added a raft. It got farther, but still started to lift right near the end, so I paused it and stuck it down with blue tape:

It finished successfully.

The little stepped recess at the end is where my car mount will stick, BTW.

Here's how much it popped:

Finish is... meh.

Mount attached:

And then stuck in the console.

Obviously I measured all this up using a paint stirrer before modeling. Come to think of it, a chunk of trim probably would have worked nicely, too - but I don't have to finish or paint the 3D print! It's also really light.

I need to do some more work to be able to print ABS reliably, possibly some temperature adjustments, and definitely an enclosure. That stuff is picky. One goon suggested a draft wall that prints with the part, which is a neat idea.

edit: If anyone is interested, the camera mount is published here on Thingiverse: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5962245

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 21:10 on May 12, 2023

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

The count is moving to a new (more appropriate) home, so the RX-8 needed a new shift knob.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!

MrOnBicycle posted:

Do you know that the compressor has poo poo itself or could it just be not turning on due to low pressure in the system?

Oh yeah, when you turn on the AC the AC clutch starts puking glitter and a little smoke. It's very much toast. My task Sunday is just to yank the clutch away and verify that the compressor won't turn, and that it's not just a clutch that inexplicably stopped clutching.

Honestly, I'll buy the RG3 and a recovery tank even at full new price, only because AC work is the last thing I don't have th equipment to do, and also the thing I get asked about the most. Especially this time of year.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

PitViper posted:

Oh yeah, when you turn on the AC the AC clutch starts puking glitter and a little smoke. It's very much toast. My task Sunday is just to yank the clutch away and verify that the compressor won't turn, and that it's not just a clutch that inexplicably stopped clutching.

Honestly, I'll buy the RG3 and a recovery tank even at full new price, only because AC work is the last thing I don't have th equipment to do, and also the thing I get asked about the most. Especially this time of year.

Oof yeah at least you know where the problem is! Man I'd love an AC machine, but I'm not sure it's legal here to use one without certification. I'm buying a vacuum test kit though as paying $150 just to confirm that it's leaking (and often more if they are going to sniff / find the leak with dye) is a bit harsh. Cheaper to parts cannon the obvious parts and then do another leak test. The vacuum tester (vacuum pump and gauges) is $150 as well, so it'll pay for itself the first use anyway.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

PitViper posted:

Yeah that's almost guaranteed to be a locked compressor. If it is, you won't be able to reuse the recovered refrigerant.. maybe not the tank either. You won't know until it's evacuated and you open the system though.

WITH THE ENGINE OFF, you should be able to spin the center part of the compressor by hand (it won't be smooth, since you'll be going through compression strokes on it, just like an engine, but it shouldn't be "metal on metal" rough). I'm betting you won't be able to spin it at all.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
Yeah, the compressor is locked hard. Haven't checked pressures as it sits now, but the AC was blowing nice and cold a couple weeks ago during our 80+ heat wave.

Ordering a Robinair RG3 and recovery tank tomorrow after I have time to verify there's anything left in the system to recover. It's been recommended that I double filter the recovery line, but I'll be replacing basically everything in the system from condenser to evaporator. But that's probably more of a discussion to move to the AC thread at this point.

I'm rather surprised it decided to nuke itself suddenly. The compressor was replaced 3 years ago along with the condenser and lines, but everything was clean inside when I removed it. The old compressor shaft seal failed and leaked everything out over the winter, so I didn't have anything to recover at that point.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Finished the spring shoe transition

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Yesterday I filled the washer fluid reservoir. How it took me so long to discover washer fluid concentrate I’ll never know.

Just be careful not to get it on your hands. The bottle is not joking when it says “super concentrate” (My fingers are a little blue still).

RIP Paul Walker fucked around with this message at 16:22 on May 14, 2023

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I know what I will be doing:

Darchangel posted:

<sigh>

Wife mentioned that the Outback was making a noise (I have her trained well).
Sounded like something in the accessory drive to me - rhythmic chirp-rattle that varied with engine speed.

Yep, it was:

https://i.imgur.com/wBH0NvK.mp4
(enable sound for delightful noises)
:negative:

harmonic balancer rubber, she ist kaput.

Subaru MSRP: $215. Argh.
A quality solid pulley was almost as much. Thankfully, some dealers compete on the web under the guise of the various "partsdeal.com" etc. sites.
$174 shipped. It'll be here in a few days. eBay had nothing for the 3.0 that wasn't used (most of the Chinese aluminum ones are for the 2.0/2.5 - and I don't trust them anyway), Amazon didn't have the OEM one. If I needed it tout de suite, I'd get it at full price from the local dealer, but I can wait - I just have to drive the shitbox AE86 while my wife drives my Crown Vic. Thankfully it will be, well, not cool, but not oppressively hot (no working AC in the Corolla. It leaks.)

edit: turning off the AC and prying the pulley out a bit with a screwdriver reduced the load enough where it didn't contact the front cover, so it can be driver in an emergency, but I'd prefer to not replace the timing cover.

MrOnBicycle posted:

Oof yeah at least you know where the problem is! Man I'd love an AC machine, but I'm not sure it's legal here to use one without certification. I'm buying a vacuum test kit though as paying $150 just to confirm that it's leaking (and often more if they are going to sniff / find the leak with dye) is a bit harsh. Cheaper to parts cannon the obvious parts and then do another leak test. The vacuum tester (vacuum pump and gauges) is $150 as well, so it'll pay for itself the first use anyway.

Certification, at least in the US, is *extremely* easy to get. I have a section 609 mobile AC cert.

https://macsmobileairclimate.org/about-609-certification/
Test is open book, and the book is a PDF.

PitViper posted:

Yeah, the compressor is locked hard. Haven't checked pressures as it sits now, but the AC was blowing nice and cold a couple weeks ago during our 80+ heat wave.

Ordering a Robinair RG3 and recovery tank tomorrow after I have time to verify there's anything left in the system to recover. It's been recommended that I double filter the recovery line, but I'll be replacing basically everything in the system from condenser to evaporator. But that's probably more of a discussion to move to the AC thread at this point.

I'm rather surprised it decided to nuke itself suddenly. The compressor was replaced 3 years ago along with the condenser and lines, but everything was clean inside when I removed it. The old compressor shaft seal failed and leaked everything out over the winter, so I didn't have anything to recover at that point.

The AC compressor in our 2008 Kia just locked hard out of the blue one day several years ago. No sign of any other distress before or after I replaced it.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Installed an exhaust on the Acty after waiting a few weeks for it to be made in and shipped from Japan.

Old vs. new

Glamour shot

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Installed an exhaust on the Acty after waiting a few weeks for it to be made in and shipped from Japan.

Old vs. new

Glamour shot

That looks like a fair bit of weight savings.

Does the Acty now sound like a CBR? (I hope it does.)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

McTinkerson posted:

That looks like a fair bit of weight savings.

Does the Acty now sound like a CBR? (I hope it does.)

Yeah, you can't just post that without a sound clip.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Darchangel posted:

Yeah, you can't just post that without a sound clip.

Don’t have a clip at the moment, I’m on call for work 90 miles away. I’ll get one next week when I’m at home. It doesn’t sound like a CBR, but it’s definitely louder haha

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
My first try forming fiberglass. Very happy to be switching to a mechanical fan.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 04:08 on May 20, 2023

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
That looks fantastic, you could do that professionally.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
That's so cool (ha-ha)! Looks very nice.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

DJ Commie posted:

That looks fantastic, you could do that professionally.

He's not exaggerating, wow

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Ok my kid went out and got a quick cold start/light rev video for y’all

https://youtu.be/nX3xLJtgBf8

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Part 2 of the EGR system cleaning. This time, the actual EGR valve and cooler are both getting some love.

The EGR valve was easy as pie, but the EGR cooler? Not so much.

It's a miracle anything was able to pass through all that poo poo. The pics really don't do it justice.

Started off by manually pulling as much crap out of the EGR cooler as I could, followed up with a copious amount of brake cleaner. That did little to nothing to break up the gunk inside. Tried cleaning between the fins inside the cooler with the wire brushes, but most of them were too big to fit and the ones that did were too short to go through the entire cooler. I wound up turning the wire from an old spiral-bound notebook into a makeshift pipe cleaner. Managed to finally get a couple of passages cleared, but it still wasn't doing enough.

I got fed up and started going at the EGR cooler with the Wagner steamer. Turns out steam alone wouldn't get the gunk to budge, but a combination of oven cleaner and a shitload of steam run through the coolant passages would. Sorta. Probably a good idea to do that poo poo masked-up outdoors or in a very well-ventilated area. All of the outlying gunk was getting freed up but not the crap that was compacted in the middle of the EGR cooler.

Turns out a pressure washer was what I really needed to get the job done. A couple of minutes and I could finally see through both ends of the damned thing. Slapped everything back together and went for a test drive. Runs smoother and a bit quieter, plus I got a slight gain in fuel economy. 10/10 would clean again (just not anytime soon).

Only regret was not taking pics of the end result.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Maybe I'm messed up, but the thought of cleaning out that EGR valve crud is super satisfying.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Looks like I just soft-bricked my ABS and ESP somehow. All I did was remove the ABS-based TPMS function I added two years ago (because it didn't actually work, I was just too lazy to remove it so far). While messing around I activated the ESP Test mode, which shouldn't be a problem, but running through it results in ABS sensor errors. So no matter how many times I reset it, the ABS sensor error on the right back wheel comes back, and I've also had some for the left back wheel and the lateral force sensor. I kinda doubt this is due to an actual problem with the sensors, but I couldn't find any way to fix it. Here's hoping Volkswagen can just easily reset it with the dealer software and they won't charge me too much.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Is it possible a calibration is required?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Powershift posted:

Is it possible a calibration is required?

That's what I'm thinking, but I couldn't find anything in regards to that. Generally the test program is calibrating the ABS and ESP. I've done a few more tests and it seems like the back right wheel speed sensor is not feeding in any data, all the other (also sometimes shown as inplausible) sensors do show sensible data however. Nothing left but going to VW and having them deal with it.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Went to pull it out of the garage this morning and it just clicked again. Jacked it up to pull the starter off again, since I just put heat wrap on it, and I didn't get the nut on the post where the battery connects tight, and it looks like it damaged the new solenoid. DAMMIT. At least this time it was just me being stupid and not the headers cooking it. I think I have the heat issue fixed. Used the time to change the oil in the engine and the supercharger. Downside: I dropped an old exhaust manifold on my foot.

EvilBeard fucked around with this message at 23:40 on May 21, 2023

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I found the reason my alternator won't charge my battery on my E39:

The annoying thing is that I was betting on it being a bosch unit with the bearings mentioned in rebuild guides. Turns out the expensive bearing doesn't fit. Good news is that the original bearings seem fine. Now I'm just waiting for the carbon brushes to arrive. I really should do the oil filter housing gasket when the alternator is off...

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 21:48 on May 21, 2023

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Found the combination exhaust leak/vacuum leak

Now i've got to find a spacer and recurve the distributor for an egr delete

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Powershift posted:

:stonk:

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Powershift posted:

holy hell... that... 'erosion' is impressive!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

jink posted:

holy hell... that... 'erosion' is impressive!

:wtc: