Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Decided to do the valve cover gasket and oil filter housing gasket while the alternator is off the car. The oil filter housing gasket a well as the sprak plug tube gasket were hard and brittle. I wonder if they were ever changed.
Wasn't too bad of a job but the previous guy was an RTV enthusiast... I probably spent as much time cleaning as the whole disassembly.
Almost 200k km engine insides:

A bit varnishy, but no sludge at all. Cams were smooth as glass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Ok my kid went out and got a quick cold start/light rev video for y’all

https://youtu.be/nX3xLJtgBf8

Sounds good!

Powershift posted:

Found the combination exhaust leak/vacuum leak

Now i've got to find a spacer and recurve the distributor for an egr delete

WTF? Why is there a passage there, presumably in the intake?

jink posted:

holy hell... that... 'erosion' is impressive!

You should see what it does to the plastic Buick 3800 manifolds. Erodes into the coolant passage for the throttle body, so the engine starts breathing coolant.

So, a week ago, the Outback started making a noise.

Turns out the crank pulley was making contact with the timing cover.
https://i.imgur.com/wBH0NvK.mp4

So I ordered a new pulley/harmonic balancer.

Looks right.

(I remembered to take a "before" pic after I had already removed one of the cover bolts - it's not missing.)

Cover off (it's for oil control - there's an o-ring):

Broke out the plasma cutter to make a holder for the pulley:

That failed miserably, since it was the steel equivalent to hard cheese (and the bolt hole was too close to the edge, not to mention that pre-existing hole causing a weak spot):

Let's try again:

That one worked!

Witness marks, including one from a bolt I used to hold the previous tool being a little too long:

Ah, yep, seems to be some rubber missing, there.

Assembly was the reverse of disassembly (for real this time!) and the car is back in operation.
If I were to do it again, I think it would be worth the $45 difference to get the part same day from a local dealer. SubaruPartsDeal.com took over a week to get the part to me. Ordered on a Sunday evening (Mother's Day), they didn't process it until Tuesday, didn't get a tracking number until Wednesday, and shipped USPS, which didn't arrive until Monday.
$170 shipped from SubaruPartsDeal, $215 from parts.subaru.com. Pricey, but won't have to mess with it another 200K miles.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Darchangel posted:

WTF? Why is there a passage there, presumably in the intake?

The carb spacer is part of the EGR system, sucking in exhaust gasses from the exhaust crossover in the intake.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Busted my knuckle opening the rear diff. Turns out the fluid was fine so I injured myself for nothing :sigh:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I found a carb adapter at napa that will work as a spacer for now. got it in and running well. Apparently since i've owned it the vacuum advance was running straight off the carb, not the egr system, so :shrug:

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Making slow progress. Went out and put a base of epoxy down, and then put on a couple coats of sprayable polyester. Got a little solvent pop because the lighting is trash and it's hard to see the wet edge, so it got blasted on. Also, used the hose reel, so the hose curled and I got into it in a few spots. At least it's all gonna get sanded. It's a hard job to build a car out of body filler.

EvilBeard fucked around with this message at 04:10 on May 25, 2023

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

started fixing chips on the headlight covers. they need a full repaint at some point. Tried to put some 3m clear stuff on and totally boned it but it's good enough for now.

Also did the leading edge of the hood that touches the grille if you don't shut the hood straight.

Remounted the stock seat motors and put the door panel back on.

Started dealing with this oxidation i guess? it looks rainbowy. lathering the car up with glaze and then wiping it all down seems to clean it up pretty good. Then tested some spray was stuff on the trunk.

Changed possibly original tail light bulbs, was 10 times harder than it needed to be.

Got one more day of polishing, cleaning, and a little bit of paint stuff and it's ready to go.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Got some new shoes.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
nice pic, still love that green! wonder if they'll do a similar edition for the 2nd gen

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Quite easily the best green. The wheels remind me of M-Pars, also a great choice.

My originally green roof was reverting back to stock color so i had to do something about it.

Came out okay, but there are a couple spots where the last person to do it put it on too thick and it lost some texture.

Then i polished the gently caress out of it. It's not perfect but i got a lot of the oxidation off.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
It looks great!

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Powershift posted:

Then i polished the gently caress out of it. It's not perfect but i got a lot of the oxidation off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_2D8Eo15wE

This immediately started playing in my head.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Weighed it down with a yard of compost. It's wonderful to only have to handle the material once.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
^^^ I love that truck. Nice to see it doing some work as well!

Putting new brushes in my generator and then a new regulator when the brushes didn't work and it still not working has me waiting for a used but working generator for the E39.
It's up on QuickJacks at the moment, so while I'm waiting I decided to do the door lock actuators on the rear doors. Turned into a bit more than just getting the door cards off and swapping since I decided to clean everything while it was off. Either the PO (or mechanic) has been in there and not reapplied the vapour barrier correctly or the glue has detched by itself. The bottom of the door cards were a bit water damaged. I managed to clean them up, apply some anti mold (etc) stuff and it did a ton to remove the bit of smell that there was. Now they are getting an ozone treatment.
Also slapped a sound deadening bitumen pad in both rear doors to get a bit more of a thump when closing the door. I finished with some rust prevention vax in the bottom of the cards after making sure that water isn't blocked.

Only broke one door card clip...

Front passenger door tomorrow, hopefully. Door lock actuators have been irritating as hell, and from reading what can happen if they give out fully it's just something that I had to do. Got the OEM stuff as well, so hopefully they will last another 20 years.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Speaking of greens, whatever this is, Peugeot is hitting it out of the park.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
What did I do to my car today? got fuckin wrecked.

Some idiot savage decided his "turning only" lane actually meant "go straight ahead and race the light too". Never even apologised to me.

Two not-at-fault write-offs in 6 months. JOY.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

slothrop posted:

What did I do to my car today? got fuckin wrecked.

Some idiot savage decided his "turning only" lane actually meant "go straight ahead and race the light too". Never even apologised to me.

Two not-at-fault write-offs in 6 months. JOY.

Man that sucks. Sorry to hear it. At least (I hope) no injuries.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I washed my car this morning, left it gleaming and went for a jog, came home to a black car covered in a mountain of pollen.

Washed it quickly /again/, went back to work, and found three separate birds took a poo poo all over my hood.

I can't decide whether the lesson here is to never wash my car, or to never leave my car out of sight.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

some kinda jackal posted:

I washed my car this morning, left it gleaming and went for a jog, came home to a black car covered in a mountain of pollen.

Washed it quickly /again/, went back to work, and found three separate birds took a poo poo all over my hood.

I can't decide whether the lesson here is to never wash my car, or to never leave my car out of sight.

I took mine through the car wash in the morning before the jabroni hit me, so the lesson is to never wash your car.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Paint correction going down, followed by ceramic coat

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

MrOnBicycle posted:

Man that sucks. Sorry to hear it. At least (I hope) no injuries.

I'd be OK with the perpetrator spraining a wrist or something as a reminder to not be an asshat.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
First fresh gas since 2017. Feels good to have it back out again.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

Darchangel posted:

I'd be OK with the perpetrator spraining a wrist or something as a reminder to not be an asshat.

Apparently he wasn't insured (not my problem, I am) and was caught on dashcam so he'll be getting a nice fine too, if that helps your schadenfruede. I just want my car back :-(

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Sockington posted:

First fresh gas since 2017. Feels good to have it back out again.

Looks awesome

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

everdave posted:

Looks awesome

Thanks. It’s been interesting driving it again after that long hiatus.

I threw in some Falken 960 all seasons since I have to be realistic with the fact this is more of just a nice cruiser car and a sporty all season is all I need. I wanted Contis or Pilot AS3/4, but nothing was available in Miata size for me. Oh well, good enough and still a little sporty. I was concerned with cold weather fall days and having one of my kids in the car. That is a far more likely situation than me needing maximum summer grip or attending an auto-x on stock wheels.

There is some driveline lash it feels like so I’ll need to get into doing the 20year old motor mounts. There’s also some pilot bearing noise that was there back in 2017 and still is there now. Other than that, it’s a pretty uneventful return to service for it.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

The kid picked up some freshly powder coated staggered E46 330i sport wheels while I was away for work. Running some “whatever” tires, but maybe we will just thrash them this summer and replace for next year. Stock is 225/45/17 front and 245/40/17 rear but it’s currently on a square 245 setup - I will probably go back to staggered on the next tire set.

Also replaced this exhaust temp sensor on the Acty

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jun 3, 2023

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Put in the second hand alternator for the E39. Drove it back home on smaller roads and drat it performed perfectly and was a blast to drive. This is my favortie car I've had so far. The engine sound alone is amazing.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jun 4, 2023

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Does taking it to the shop count? New windshield! Been running a cracked windshield for 3 years. I finally swapped it out this year because the cracks started expanding from the passenger side towards my direct field of view. So nice to have a fresh windshield.... Put windshield insurance on my car now too, didn't have it last time.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
mmmmmm Tractive

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
After bothering to put the money into this car for a new windshield I also decided to fix some rust spots on the sills, I do intend to drive this to 600,000 km or until the engine breaks down before getting rid of it. This car has always had one bad spot under the drivers side front door. I had previously welded one area before I remember but it was looking shabby so I ground it down and put on epoxy putty. I figure that's good, epoxy putty should be pretty durable and form a better seal. Maybe not as good as proper epoxy primer but better than the usual bondo.

It's funny how useful blacksmithing tools are for sheet metal work, though the brake and vise are the most useful, but it's real good for minor corrections and adjustments.

After making the patch panel from I have to remove this strip that's under the sill in order to cut out the old and weld in the new. I don't understand what purpose these serve? They seem to capture crap and water and make corrosion issues worse? I think in theory they are a shield and allow for drainage if stuff gets into the sill. In practice I dunno if it's a success.

So what's things like underneath that strip after 16 years on salted roads and 417,000 km...

Guess I'm making more patch panels... Good thing I got the stock.

The rear side however isn't too bad! Only minor rust.

I'm taking a break now to process this new information, and it's lunch and we finally got some nice weather.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

New red OEM emblems on the S2000, to match the seats and calipers. My original rear one was loose so I figured I’d upgrade.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Went with my cousin to an import VS domestic showdown. Working on the leave still in his car, but we're getting closer.

We fixed the anti roll bar, but we're still tuning on the suspension.

https://imgur.com/a/FoJFuS2

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

mmmmmm Tractive

Let me know what you think. I read the whole blub thread and those sound amazing but $$$$.

Imperador do Brasil posted:

New red OEM emblems on the S2000, to match the seats and calipers. My original rear one was loose so I figured I’d upgrade.

That plate

:perfect:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I've forgotten how frustrating it can be to weld on old cars. Few pin holes left to fill, but after lying on the concrete (at least I got a rug) all day everything hurts. Still got another 15 cm to fit new material for.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

His Divine Shadow posted:

I've forgotten how frustrating it can be to weld on old cars. Few pin holes left to fill, but after lying on the concrete (at least I got a rug) all day everything hurts. Still got another 15 cm to fit new material for.

This was the reason I bought some 4x4 axle stands so I could get the car higher. It's really tiring manouvering around under a car all day.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Olympic Mathlete posted:

This was the reason I bought some 4x4 axle stands so I could get the car higher. It's really tiring manouvering around under a car all day.

I got these monsters at an auction because I'm fat. They're good for 12 ton because my cars are also fat.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I bought screw jacks for levelling campers and such. they're rated like 6000 pounds and they're nice and tall. I can just put the car up high and then roll around under it.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Yeah I got some lovely sheet metal ramps (well they feel sturdy) but because of reasons of location I guess they hit my bumper before the wheels so I wasn't able to drive up on them. Because of wind I also had to reverse into place so I could create a wind protected area.

I really thought ramps would be easy but turns out they are finnicky and I need to make my own "pre-ramps" from wood to reduce the incline.

Oh I'm out of mix gas too, feels lovely to waste 82% argon mix on this, getting a co2 bottle.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

speaking of ramps, I put my van up on ramps to check out the front suspension. In doing so I noticed one of them (rhyno ramps) was cracking so I put the car back down and threw them in the trash.

It's making a clunk from the front right corner when doing left hand turns and hitting a slightly raised section of concrete (think pulling into driveway and it's a little higher than the street, but at higher speed). I've already done the struts, lower control arms, and sway bar links fairly recently (last 2-3 years for all that, the FR quick strut like 2 months ago after it failed under warranty). One of the links felt loose so I replaced the fronts again but it's still there, albeit less. I'm not sure if it's the actual sway bar bushings doing it, but those bolts are gonna be so rusted they'll snap if I try to pull it off. On my last beater, that meant removing the front sway bar entirely. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I’ve had my steel, yellow ramps since I turned 16 (30 years ago). They seem fine no real corrosion at all except in the scratches and I keep them outside last few years