Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Not technically today, but this week at least. Finally pulled the transfer case from my e30, and tore apart the shifter in preparation for a Z3 shift rod and new bushings all around, including delrin replacements for the terrible stock rubber.

It's amazing how many BMW required "special tools" can be replaced with a flathead screwdriver or a big fuckoff pipe wrench.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Finally pulled the transmission today. Having the jack made it a cinch once I got the bolts loose, but BMW and it's non-threaded starter can go gently caress itself. 3 feet of extension on the tranny side for the bolt, and 2 feet on the engine side for the nut. Very glad I bought some wobble extensions, they don't break loose all the time like U-joints.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Technically I did it the other day, but I pulled my clutch to find out it was in great shape!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Got my flywheel resurfaced. Looks pretty good considering how much the clutch had marred it after losing the friction material. The magic of machining.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Put the rear crankshaft seal + carrier back in. I spent 30 minutes sitting up in the transmission tunnel scraping the old gasket off everything. I never loving want to do that again.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Out with the old, in with the new selector shaft seal.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Put the transmission (with brand new seals) and selector rod together, it's now fully prepped to go back on the car.

Fun fact: Thanks to the amalgamation of DIN+ISO standards, the output flange bolts on my tranny are 19mm A/F and my new locknuts are 18mm A/F. I have no god drat clue where I'm going to get an 18mm crow's foot extension.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Sold this rusted hunk after the timing belt snapped. It was a good little car (70,000km without an oil change) but I guess I finally managed to kill it.

edit: god damnit i hate not being able to resize attachments.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Wow, my mom has a 96 Civic LX that doesn't even have 70k km on it. How do you let a car go 70k between oil changes?

I bought it cheaply during university and wanted to see how far it could go. The thing is rusty beyond any repair and would never pass a safety inspection again without major work. I do regular maintenance on my other cars, this one was just to drive it until it died.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Changed the shift knob on my e36 to a ZHP shorty knob since the original one was all seperated and lovely:

Click here for the full 1200x1600 image.

Then pryed (and I mean pryed, with a wrecking bar) the rear brakes off my E30. Life lesson: never leave the parking brake on when you have the car jacked up for a long time.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Think I'm gonna sell the e30 after I get it running. Started out fun but I just found issue after issue over the past 2 years.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Aug 22, 2010

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

ExecuDork posted:

Your ad is irritating. Put a phone number on it, when I was car shopping last year through Kijiji if I didn't see a phone number I moved on - after ZERO responses to any of the within-Kijiji emails I sent. If you're not monitoring that account literally every 20 minutes, nobody will buy your car.

I never include my number in the ad itself. When I put up a number all I get is people who DON'T loving READ THE AD calling me all the time. I sift through the email responses and send my number to the ones that can actually form a complete sentence. I couldn't count the number of "Does it run" questions when I put up my civic with the snapped timing belt, even with a big bold "NEEDS TO BE TOWED" at the top.

People just don't loving read ads and I use the emails as a way of screening. I've never had problems getting responses (from either buyers or sellers), I just make sure at some point there is a phone conversation to make sure people are serious. Too many idiots are trolling kijiji trying to find "deals" and offering you less than the asking price over the phone before they've even seen the car.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Didn't do any upgrades, but I did drive this on the weekend:

Have to say I'm pretty impressed with the stock e36 suspension - 12 years old at this point and I still kept up with mk4/5 GTIs, a MS3 and an SVT contour.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
First, changed my brake light switch. Now my back hurts. You have to do an unbelivable amount of bending and twisting to actually get a good view of this thing.

In order to get the old one out I had to break it. Plastic tabs are nice for assembly but they suck poo poo when you're trying to get something out in a tiny hard to reach space.

Then I changed my plugs. Can't believe how easy it was, I think changing the brake light switch took longer.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Old plugs.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Drained my car:

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Sheared off the (-) terminal on my ignition coil. Whoops. Luckily it may be the culprit of my no-spark issue anyway.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

runwiled posted:

I've been unable to drive my new (not really new) BMW E36 this week because the driver window motor failed in the down position. Got the replacement part midweek which was a new regulator and motor and with a day off and fine weather, a friend and I went to replace it.

This took longer than expected. Much longer.

So firstly the motor and regulator I got were from a salvaged car, or at least I assume. After swapping the unit in the first time, it was clear the motor was ok but the regulator arms didn't want to move and looking carefully revealed some mild warping. Wonderful.
Attempt number two involved switching the newer motor that worked to the old regulator, which should also still work. Install, realise arms are in wrong position and it's still not moving. Grease, grease, poke, poke.
Attempt three: remove motor again, adjust arms to different position, more grease, add motor, re-install. Realise for some reason that original regulator has been bent over on one end for some bizarre reason and band back. Motor moves regulator, now to attach regulator to window. Bastard sliders didn't want to go in easy at all. Cue much cursing but eventual win.

Door moves now...kind of. It slows and doesn't roll down well at all. Figure it's an adjustable mount position, which is moved and try again. Hooray! Works! But oh no...

Shut door, rolls down great. Roll up...oh, it's rubbing against the door seal now...well it's not too bad. Trim's already back on so adjust later and don't use the window too much until it's tweaked, if it can be.

Drive around happy that you fixed something on your own and can enjoy your new car once more. Hang out at a friend's perhaps?

And after what feels like a good productive day, get back in your car and notice the window didn't move when you open and shut the door. Try window....oh...not working again. Cue a night of now feeling like the day was wasted and not having a day off to fix it for another two days so it niggles the gently caress out of you. *angry badger noises*

Honestly the E36 window motors are such a gigantic loving pain in the rear end I have no problem paying someone to deal with it. I'd rather drop my transmission again than go near anything inside an E36 door panel.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

runwiled posted:

I will fix this even if it kills me. It has no right being broken again! I will make that fucker rue the day!

When my passenger side assembly got replaced it died within a week. They redid the labour for free, but that experience is about indicative of the luck I've had with e36 electronics.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Suspension job on my E36 this weekend:

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Geirskogul posted:

You also put on new rotors and pads, right?

They'll be another weekend. You're mostly seeing canadian rust though, but they are a bit grooved.

Billy Tully posted:

Which version are the Bilsteins? I have sports on my car and love them.

They're the HDs. Supposedly the same damping as the sports, just meant for stockish springs, H&R OE Sports in my case. Considering my rear coils were broken in 3 places it rides at about the same height as before.

The change is pretty ridiculous condsidering the shocks I took off have almost no bound/rebound anymore. The car feels FLAT through the corners, and should be really good with some new summer rubber. I don't plan on keeping the car past the summer but it will make for a fun few months.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Lost grip while struggling with terrible plastic wiper arm bits:

:suicide:

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Beach Bum posted:

:flashfap:

Holy god that is beautiful. <3 E30's.

Why is it BMW got it right with keeping the IX oilpan higher than the subframe but EVERY OTHER M20 E30 GETS THAT poo poo ON THE GROUND?!

Probably because they made that loving up oilpan with the hole in it for the right axle.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

allonblack posted:

Put it into track mode. Raised it an inch, torqued everything down, and put on my track wheels/tires.

This really makes me want gold daily wheels.

VVV Thanks, didn't realize how gigantic it was as i posted it from my phone. VVV

Is it just me or do those track wheels look really undersized compared to the usual WRX wheels?

Last weekend: New pads and rotors in the front.

This morning: Short throw shifter, new plastic washers and shifter cup bushing.

The worst circlip:

Sometimes I'm glad I'm only 5'6 and have tiny hands.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Drove the cabot trail again on the weekend.

e46 330Ci, Mazdaspeed3, e36 328is (mine), SVT Contour, ej20 swapped 2.5RS, Mazdaspeed3. The mustang is from some old guy who decided to race us for awhile.

My pads decided my freshly cleaned wheels should be gunmetal grey instead.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Crawled under my dads forester while he was here to look into a "Gas smell". The driver side part of the tank was wet as hell and was dripping nice fresh gas.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
"Fixed" the ABS/TCS module in my E36.

Adjusted the parking brake on my E46 (still won't hold on a steep hill, think i need new pads):

Had to hammer off the 10mm spacers the PO put on the car. Apparently he has never heard of loving anti-seize.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

some texas redneck posted:

I got an OBD2 Bluetooth dongle and Torque for Android.

I played the Chinese knockoff lottery and lost, the dongle is a piece of poo poo that sends garbage data about 1/4 of the time, works 1/4 the time, lag like crazy for 1/4 of the time, and flat out disappears for the remaining 1/4 of the time. Also found out the dongle comes with an automatic battery killer function, aka make the interior of the car smell like burnt electronics function, that kicks in if you leave it plugged in overnight.

Torque is a very impressive piece of software.

I shipped the dongle back, going to go ahead and get the dongle recommended by the author of Torque instead. I was just hoping to avoid spending $100 on it.

Can you leave the bluetooth dongle plugged in all the time? This software looks great but if I have to climb into the footwell every time I'd just stick with my OBD reader.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Oct 11, 2011

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Did my first autocross. Was a loving blast, even though I killed multiple cones.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

ExecuDork posted:

It was a series of adventures, and now I am tired. Jacking up my car was the first adventure, I have a gravel parking space and my jackstands tend to sink in a bit.

Plywood. On anything but concrete I won't go under my car without it after this happened.

Also, I believe you're looking for crow's foot wrenches if you're talking about that attachment.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Oct 30, 2011

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

opengl128 posted:

Put together a camera mount for my upcoming track day.

That's pretty clever. I usually just moved my passenger seat up/foward as far as it will go then stuff the camera in the headrest. Might have to copy that next year when I get a gopro.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

The Rocket Salad posted:

a few days ago i converted my car from automatic to manual. i've been wanting to do this for, like, ever.

i spilled coffee everywhere in the process :(

E34?

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

meatpimp posted:

What did I do to my boy's ride today? Gave it to him for his birthday (he's only 9).

Modified plans found on the internet using 2" PVC piping, a passenger seat from an '86 MR2 and a wireless xbox racing wheel:

And action shot looking at the 120" screen:

Hah. In that same vein I worked on my virtual ride today. Went to test out forza's patch that fixes 900 degree steering. First corner in laguna seca I floor it and crank the wheel to provide opposite lock, and hear a horrible sound and lose all FFB in my fanatec wheel..

Disassembled the wheel to find that the drive belt popped off. Sharp change in direction when going into countersteer did it. 2 hours of work just to put a belt back on.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Dec 4, 2011

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Geirskogul posted:

Did you put a wide washer over the small belt gear to prevent that from happening again?

Had no way to secure it other than duct tape so I just put it back together as is. If it happens again I'll go get some JB weld and stick one on.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Nodoze posted:

Usually when I hear 5-speed I think

code:
1-3-5
2-4-R
And stupidly enough I actually meant to say reverse on the left side, where reverse actually is on that gearbox, not the right :doh:

I prefer it on the left, after having owned both patterns. It feels much better when parallel parking since you can go reverse to first and back very quickly.

The wonkiest Ive seen is a Mercedes 5 speed box with reverse on the bottom left.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

ExecuDork posted:

I thought the MB pattern (190E Cosworth, right?) was set up to align 2 and 3, which I guess is the most common shift (either direction) when racing.

There's a video segment on Top Gear of James May doing it wrong, but I can't find it right now.

Yeah, the dogleg pattern (which isn't really just a merc thing, I know some e30 m3s and other euro cars had it) is because you never really need to shift into 1st while racing. It seems like it would be a fun pattern to have on a track car, last time I tracked I was 2-3 the whole time.

My friends C230 (a terrible car in many aspects) has the first shift pattern rocket salad posted. It's just really wierd, but that entire car is wierd. I've never seen a foot pedal ebrake on a standard car, but they did it.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Got it dirty :q:

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Fixed my steering with some lithium grease in a straw. Guess all that mud from rallycross must have gotten into the steering u-joint and dried out.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Went to canadian tire to buy a turn signal lightbulb, and when I came up my throttle response was terrible, took 6-7 seconds just to get up to 50kph. Idle was fine and the car had absolutely no hesistation so I decided to tear the intake apart when I got home.

Found the problem when I got to the traction control throttle body. It is not supposed to be closed like that.

Culprit was the motor that winds the cable. It should be fully retracted when the car is off but it had no play.

As soon as I pulled the cable, the throttle plate went back to the correct position.

And since my traction control is already not working, I just removed the throttle plate.

As a bonus, it fixed a wierd hesitation I used to have on hard acceleration. Either the broken TCS was trying to limit the intake air with no wheelspin, or the throttle plate wasn't returned to the rest position and the intake charge was causing it to flutter when the main throttle was fully open. Pretty happy though, I've done a ton of work on cars but never just gone and diagnosed the problem without the internet.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Apr 15, 2012

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Me: 1
Parking Brake: 1

Protip: Vicegrips are not the best tool for extension springs. I nearly broke my own nose and gave myself a nice gouge on my face. Apparently even hitting near my nose is enough to get a ridiculous nosebleed.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Sponge! posted:

Uhh, Toyota has been doing this for... 19 years?

Is there a reason that certain manufacturers don't use cartridge filters? It's so unbelivably simple to change the oil on my e36 and e46.

I did a few things today. First up was a new idler and tensioner for my A/C belt. My kitchen cabinets worked in a pinch but I really think I need to get a vice.

Next up was the driveshaft guibo. Did it without dropping the exhaust, but it probably took me an hour to get the driveshaft back on the transmission output centering pin. I ended up prying the entire engine against the crossbace. Also did transmission mounts while I was in there. One of my old ones came out in two pieces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Endless Mike posted:

I'm pretty sure the e46 filter is on the top of the engine, so pretty easily.

Yup. Pop it directly into a ziploc bag when you take it out. The fact that someone would design a cartridge filter that goes in upside down just baffles me even more.