Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Money Walrus
Sep 2, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

Last weekend was window motor and regulator. Tomorrow is blower motor. Maybe a radiator flush if I'm feeling saucy.

I'm about to do both on a Volvo 740. I've been putting off the blower mother and regulator for so long since I hate drilling out rivets and the fan is supposed to be a bitch. Any advice?

This afternoon I'm about to do a tranny flush and install a tranny cooler, and when I lose the light it's time to work on rebuilding my new turbo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Money Walrus
Sep 2, 2007

LloydDobler posted:

Good news: You heard wrong there, the fan on a 740 is cake. Drop the passenger footwell trim, remove 5 or so screws, fan falls out in your hand. They learned from all the bitching on the 240, which was a 10 hour job. They made the 740 a 10 minute job.

And cmon, drilling 4 rivets isn't that bad. Have you even checked to make sure your car doesn't use nuts? They didn't switch to rivets until later years.

Yea, I've checked. Mine's a 92. The window is stuck rolled up, and the motor is dead (i've applied 12v to it with no success but a faint click), so I can't position the scissor arms in a correct position to get it out. It's not a hard job, it's just going to give me a headache, I'll probably have to remove the glass and hope not to cut my hand off doing it solo. Nice to know the fan is good.

Money Walrus
Sep 2, 2007
Changed the pcv breather box in my Volvo 740, realized that what I thought was a bad crank seal was just a clogged breather box pushing oil out the valve cover filler cap. Proceeded to punch myself. I've been letting the car sit (and thusly accumulate mold through a bad rear glass seal / water leak) since I didn't have time to tear it down / biked to work. Could have done this in a couple hours.

In short, make sure your stupid breather box isn't clogged.

Money Walrus
Sep 2, 2007
Picked up my exhaust manifold from the machine shop, they tapped it for new 10mm studs and milled down all the flanges. It looks amazing.

Then I went home and cut off the old exhaust with a sawzall. Man, that's loving satisfying. This is what you get, rusted exhaust nuts!

Can I sell my old cat for scrap?

Money Walrus
Sep 2, 2007

HachiGo posted:

Yes you can, if you have storage space you can always store it and hope for metal prices to go up.

Storage I have plenty of. Sounds like a plan. What did cat prices used to be / are now?

Today I changed out the fuel pump on my 740 to keep up with my 65lb injectors, got about 5 out of 8 of the exhaust studs removed (pretty sure I need to go buy a snap-on stud puller for the rest, or a bigger pair of vice grips and more MAPP gass), and started on putting in the new cam.

Great day to work outside on the car in New Orleans, plus there was street festival today in my neighborhood so I walked over and got a delicious po-boy on my lunch break. Can't beat that for a Saturday.