Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I dipped my wheels.

That's black with the red metalizer on top. It's very... not red. I like it, but yeah. I'll remember that next time. :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I liked the ones in my WRX. Good fit, and they looked nice. Price is definitely in the upper bound of what I'd be willing to pay for floormats, though, and they don't make them for enough cars or in enough colours.
Which set did you end up getting? I'm looking to replace my stock WRX mats.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Larrymer posted:

It's going to look darker if you covered black rather than white or a lighter color.
Yeah, that's actually what I was going for. I just didn't expect "darker red" to become purple.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Gorillian Dollars posted:

I like it, you can still see the red calipers through it (that's +5HP per caliper), and the rims blend nicely with the taillight as its about the same soft red color.
Thanks, the more I look at it the more I'm liking it. It was just a surprise at first.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Black digital fits for both front and rear seats for my '06 WRX. The carpet was pretty nice underneath it because I threw them down just after a detail. I wish they covered the dead pedal better because that area of the carpet was dirty where the mat didn't go up high enough to reach.
Thanks for the heads-up. I'll probably wait until next winter and see how my interior fares, but that's good to know.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

My local shop does that. They're decent about getting close to internet+shipping prices, too.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Fushin posted:

Finally got rid of the graphics that came with my car.

Before

After

Did a wash, wax and clay bar after and the clear coat is still pretty even. Pretty happy with the results. I never liked the graphics, but the car was dirt cheap for what it came with.
Doesn't using a clay bar strip wax? Not that it doesn't look good!

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Go. Everything Fucknag said. It sucks, but go.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I bought my WRX new wheels for next summer.

BBS RC336s. Freshly stripped and powdered by the previous guy. Almost perfect, except for one wheel that turned out kind of lumpy but considering what 336's seem to go for normally I'm more than happy.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I had it fixed. I bought the car with a bunch of little dents and dings (including one decent sized dent in the left-front fender that I asked about on here), and over last winter some rust began to form on the roof in front of the sunroof. Took it to the body shop recommended by a local Subaru dealer and couldn't be happier. As a bonus, they buffed it. Not that I didn't think they would, but... shiny. I've never had it buffed before. Not bad for a 7/8-year-old car.

No more dent!

So shiny. The wheels are going to be my winter wheels, I'm tired of running a nice car on Rotas. Picked up a set of BBSs and had them powdercoated flat black. :getin:

Fifty Three fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Sep 18, 2014

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Today I found burns in the clearcoat that I didn't notice when I picked the car up 9 days ago. I want to die. Time to make the trek back up to the body shop. :suicide:

More accurately, I saw some weirdness and stupidly assumed it was wax deposits or bird poo poo or... pick a subconscious justification to forget about it. Just washed my car and yeah they aren't going anywhere. Fantastic.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

DILLIGAF posted:

I installed airbags to bolster my sagging rear end.... With just a couple hundred pounds, the rear of my car would start to drop. With a motorcycle in the back, I would be dragging the exhaust.

I used the bags that go inside the springs, and aired up my shocks. Let it sit for a couple of days, drove it around town... success! The bags held pressure but the shocks still leak a couple pounds a day in pressure with the bike back there. They will be replaced soon as well.

This is awesome.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I bought nice wheels for put nice wheels on it.

Just need to figure out the center cap situation and I'll be happy. My god, such a step up from the Rotas.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Swapped out the '06-07 tails for '04-05s. I like them.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

scuz posted:

I'm modding for two now. When I do the paint/livery, what should I do? I was hoping to do some 16-bit-esque block-y thing cuz it'll be easy to mask off!

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Cage posted:

Cat delete? Thats usually illegal.
Fantastic.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I put my summer wheels on and washed it.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Think I figured out why one of my headlights didn't always work.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Pulled off the wing to determine the cause of the little bits of surface rust forming around the base, where it meets the trunk lid.

...Oh... oh dear.

https://imgur.com/a/1QGKy

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Today, I sheared the head off of the motherfucking ball joint pinch bolt.

Extractors proved worthless, didn't have a source of heat, so I drilled the bastard out and used a bolt+nut instead. The ball joint absolutely didn't want to move, either, so it's going to be a Real Actual Mechanic's problem and in the mean time my inspection is expired.

:suicide:

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

kastein posted:

Lemme guess, Subaru? gently caress them in the ear for that lovely goddamn design.

That whole design is Subaru engineering in a nutshell. Dumb dumb dumb. I hope whoever came up with it has to watch their dick rot off.
You're absolutely right, a 10-year-old Subaru in good cosmetic condition. I appreciate the write-up, I'll remember that next time I attempt a ball joint and have access to an actual work area.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Fifty Three posted:

You're absolutely right, a 10-year-old Subaru in good cosmetic condition. I appreciate the write-up, I'll remember that next time I attempt a ball joint and have access to an actual work area.
Update to this- the mechanic told me that it was, by far, the worst one he's ever done. I had them do both sides while they were at it and the other pinch bolt snapped too, despite using heat and trying to be careful. He said they "broke about ten drill bits getting the right one out." Probably hyperbole, but funny to me because it wasn't my problem.

Also, my initial drill job was awful and they fixed it, but that's on me. I'm glad I had them do the rest of the job, despite the price tag.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

The tan on the part with the red indicator (the lock button) doesn't match the tan around it.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Right up until this post I'd been using it to pound veal and chicken breasts flat.
It has been returned to it's rightful place in the kitchen.
Uh...

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Larrymer posted:

Go to the tools thread and don't even gently caress with air. Just get a cordless lithium ion impact. I have a Ryobi one that's rated at 300ft-lbs (seems high but zips off lugs no problem) that is amazing and was cheap (~100ish).
My DeWalt cordless impact changed how I feel about working on my car.

(Special thanks to Konrad for cluing me in on how to not be an idiot with my thin-walled socket.)

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

STR posted:

So two recommendations for the 300 ft/lb Ryobi cordless, and it's pretty cheap. I think I'm sold.
I ended up buying the 700ft/lb DeWalt because I like vaporizing bolt heads, and I love mine. :unsmigghh:

Edit: The exact one Geoj bought, hog ring (HB) model.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Larrymer posted:

For a garage without electric, it's a much simpler solution. I just found out recently that you can get an inflator (for tires, etc) that uses the same battery system for like $20. I'm going to buy this and sell my compressor. No need for it now. And it trips the breaker half the time due to my lovely electric, so it's just not worth dealing with. :v:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-18-Volt-ONE-Power-Inflator-Tool-Only-P737/206159256
Dang, that's cool. Wish DeWalt made something like that for their 20V batteries.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Those of you who use impacts to do tire changes- do you still loosen the lug nuts on the ground with a breaker bar or similar before zipping them off?

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Welp, add that to the list of poo poo I've been doing that I didn't need to.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

The greatest PDR of all time.
Agreed. That puts my Hello Kitty band-aid to shame. Nice work.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Refinished my cheap aftermarket headlights.

Before (just washed them on a 90F+ day, they're not normally quite this hazy but close):

After wet sanding, before enamel spray:

After:

Pretty damned happy with that. The other light ended up with some mild orange peel during the enamel spray that isn't visible from dead-on nor from more than a few feet.

Sure is easier to see at night! :haw:

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

opengl128 posted:

Also dipping my ez pass while I have it out lol.
Oh my god this is a great idea.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Heard a rhythmic thumping while braking on the way home from work, pulled the wheel and caliper not really expecting to immediately identify the problem.

That's... less than ideal.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

opengl128 posted:

I picked up a foot long crack this morning as well. It's allllll the way at the edge of the passenger side so I'm gonna let it ride unless it gets worse. If I replace it now I'm sure I'll pick up another chip or crack soon, frigging PA turnpike.
Yep, wait as long as you can. I picked up a big crack, got it inspected, and picked up another big set of cracks 6 months later. :(

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

I threw (2) ratchets, a poo poo-tastic caliper spreader tool, and a pot metal sloppy rear end twist brake piston tool. I did not get the girlfriends rear brakes done, I just put the old pads back on gently caress it gently caress everything
For as many small weird issues the Subaru drum-in-hat parking brake design causes, I sure am thankful for it when I read posts like this.

Didn't stop both rear calipers from seizing a few years ago

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Okay so now the drain plug is a sex toy? WTF man
I think we covered sealing drain plugs in another thread

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

OEM Subaru filters, at least, have instructions printed on them that are pretty explicit about "spin until gasket hits the block then an extra 3/4ths turn" or some poo poo. :shrug:

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

lmao that was art

edit: fuckin' amazing page snipe :sigh:

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Verman posted:

As someone who enjoys (to some degree) working on things, I love my 4runner and never want to replace it but I'm also very excited at the possibility of replacing it with another that won't have any midwest rust. I can't fathom what it would be like to work on a vehicle with just hand tools. No RB blaster, no heavy impact wrenches, not bringing a giant fuckoff hammer, chisel and dremel/angle grinder to do anything more than change the oil.

I'm pretty sure I still have rust in my eyes from all the years being under rusty cars. Midwest ... never again.
This. I love my WRX to death, driving it and looking at it after I park and even lightly working on it makes me very happy. But, oh my god, I can't wait to replace it with something that isn't rusted. Every job that should be simple becomes a nightmare thanks to stuck fasteners and whatever else, and it totally erodes your sense of confidence in your own work.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I still kick myself for not getting a Fumoto with a hose nipple. Next car. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Yesterday I got a bolt to move that I 100% did not expect to move, the rear diff drain plug was a hair's breadth from stripping but it cracked loose at the last possible moment and prevented my floor jack from launching my ratchet into orbit.

I finished up the job and did a celebratory beer shotgun. It was a good day.