Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl
Checked the oil and coolant levels.

Dumped more gear oil into my rear differential. drat leaky seal...

Topped off the washerfluid level, and cleaned corrosion off the sensor's connecting tabs so it'll quit giving me false readings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl
I built a new under body spare tire carrier for my truck.

My Dodge Dakota had a spare tire carrier already, but it's been completely frozen by corrosion for years. I have a new spare tire now, so last night I removed the rusted tire carrier, and started thinking about how to make something to replace it.

I took a trip to Lowes this morning and bought some things including the biggest eye bolt I could find, two large washers for that eye bolt, a thick connecting pin, a lock nut for the eyebolt, and This thing. Cost me about $20 total.

There is a smallish hole in the part of the frame where the old tire carrier used to be. I put the eye bolt up in that hole and used the thick pin to keep it in place.

That three wheeled caster I bought, notice in the image that it has a hole in the middle of it? That hole is just big enough to fit the end of the eye bolt through it. I broke off the three wheels on that caster, and now it works pretty good as a giant washer to keep the tire from slipping off the eye bolt. Two actual washers, and two nuts, the one that came with the eyebolt, and the lock nut for good measure will keep my improvised giant washer from going anywhere.

I tested it after I finally got it all figured out, and the pair of vise grips I always keep in my truck can undo the whole thing. I just finished spraypainting the bolt and washers to keep the rust at bay (Why have history repeat itself?)

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl
This has been more of a week long project, but replacing the rusted out drivers side fender on my Dodge Dakota.

The original fender:

Yeah, it's way past Bondo time. But where am I going to find a fender for a 20 year old pick up truck at a cheap price? Off to the junk yard!

Luckily older Dakota's are still very common in Detroit. Even though parts galore has a small section for pick ups, there were several early 90's Dakotas. Fender rot plagues these trucks, and it's almost always the drivers side fender that goes first. However I did find one with only minor rust near the bottom front, so I grabbed the fender and wheel well.

Here's the replacement fender after a (crappy) Bondo job, just before painting:

Here's the truck with the old fender removed and old wheel well just about ready to fall off:

Several of the bolts didn't loosen, the heads just broke off. I had to Dremel the last two out. But I had enough extra bolts from the donor parts to start piecing it all back together.

The replacement wheel well with fresh paint and undercoating:

The replacement fender after three coats of primer and two coats of Rustoleum:

The bondo job at the bottom looks ugly, but that's gonna be hidden by the plastic trim, so I don't care.

I got the fender on now, and all that's left is to replace the trim which I'll do tomorrow.

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl
Got the fender and trim on. No missing parts and I didn't forget to connect anything.

It's not perfect, but it looks a hell of a lot better. Eventually I plan to get the whole truck painted white anyway.

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl

I look at this car and think "KITT's polar opposite."