Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009
Two weekends ago I installed my JHM short throw shifter. God drat that thing feels like hot sex on a platter compared to stock.

Removed my useless cup holder that sits in my arm rest which I rest my arm on to shift. At least the Audi engineers decided to make it easy to remove on the B6 A4.

useless:

useful:

Tomorrow I replace cabin filter, front left fog, wipers, new floor mats, and apply rubber care to da rubber seals. Installing B7 RS4 rear sway bar and flushing tranny with new Redline MT90 over the weekend.

RapeWhistle fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jul 28, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009

DropShadow posted:

Swapped my boring wood trim with a friend for his aluminum trim. He was going to wrap it in carbon fiber dinoc, so we swapped and he wrapped my old wood trim instead and I got his aluminum. I've been wanting to do this since I got the car, so this swap worked out perfectly and didn't cost me a dime.

Looks nice man, I have the ultrasport package so I got that fishscale trim which can be easily changed to the brushed aluminum with some sand paper. Is that what your friend did or did he buy the aluminum trim?

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009

DogDodger posted:

I picked up up from the body shop today, after they repaired it for a hit and run. I'll be going back tomorrow.

The color match on the paint looks good (at least in the garage and in the snowy, overcast weather today). However, there is some kind of overspray or something on the fender. It looked like wax or something initially, but it won't come off, and there's a distinct texture difference between this area and the unaffected paint.

Halfway home, something started rubbing during left-hand turns. While putting the winter tires on tonight, I discovered what it was. They installed a FWD rear fender liner.

One might wonder how they did that. Well, noting the obstacles in the way of mounting it in my quattro car (e.g., the shock absorber orientation), they diligently trimmed the offending material away (though not enough to keep it from rubbing on the tire here, apparently).

Also, compare this picture of the left-hand rear fender liner (that did not need replaced) with the one above, noting that there are different mounting points for a FWD and quattro rear fender liner:

How'd they solve this conundrum? By simply drilling new holes into the car, of course! Problem solved! The quattro fender liner mounting points have the circles around them in these images, and the ersatz mounting points are to the left in both pictures.

I'm decently upset by, yet at the same time grudgingly respectful of, their determination to get this FWD peg into my car's quattro hole. This is the place that has won the city paper's auto shop award every year for the last 16 years. What they lack in attention to detail they sure make up for in can-do spirit!

Oh man, it looks like you took your Audi to a body shop who doesn't know what the gently caress is up with Audis. I loving hate motherfuckers who jerry rig their work.

Next time, ask Audi enthusiasts in your area who does good body work. I got hosed so hard by some idiots who were RECOMMENDED BY AND ASSOCIATED WITH THE LOCAL AUDI DEALER.

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009
changed the oil, rotated the tires, and changed to a stiffer tranny mount in my a4. i can't wait to upgrade my snub and motor mounts. death to drivetrain slop!

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009
looks like a space ship from korea

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009

GhostSeven posted:

Hmm maybe my post should have been in the "You put WHAT on your car? Stupid poo poo we've seen people put on their cars" thread :(

you said it, not I

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009
BROKE THIS loving GOD drat COOLANT PIPE STEM THAT CONNECTS A SMALL COOLANT HOSE TO THE INTAKE MANIFOLD

Any ideas on how to fix it aside from replacing the entire coolant pipe?

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009
Unfortunately the pipe is plastic. I'm going to explore tapping options.

e: that doesnt make sense... just the way it snapped made me assume that stem is plastic... going to go look harder.

e2: yeah the entire pipe is definitely plastic

RapeWhistle fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Oct 14, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009
I quit my job and started my own consulting company so I have time to play with cars again.

Changed oil, trans fluid, diff fluid in the Audi A4 - Motul X-cess 5w-40 eliminated the valve chatter on cold starts, which the 3.0L is infamous for. Thanks Motul.

Assessed the lack of progress on my e30 track car project and started planning. I have most of the parts I need to finish and now I have the time to do it. I ordered a used upper and lower oil pan today from Zionsville.

Does anyone live close to Zionsville, IN that would be willing to pick up a fuel tank from Zionsville Autosport, box it, and ship it my way?

I also attempted to remove the clutch fan from the M42, mother of gently caress... waiting till the car is sitting on the ground to dick with that again.