Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Got control of my drat aircon again!

A vacuum hose popped off, and the system was stuck on defrost. put the hose back on, little bit of duct tape. boom, problem solved.

the list of problems with the truck are getting smaller and smaller.

fixed:
transmission synchros not engaging(fluid change)
trip computer randomly crashing/leaking water(cab light grommet)
fuel pump(wired properly into the truck again!)
water pump(blew up while towing)
power seat(bracket came loose and flipped itself around
rear door latch(had to push the door in to open it, moved latch out, operates perfect now)
12v power point(hosed up plug)
block heater(power cord touching turbo[why would they do this])
air-con control(loose vacuum line)

to fix:
leaking fuel line(i think) - causing fuel system to deprime when parked
crank case breather ejecting oil - hope an oil change clears this up
leaking oil pan gasket - there are drat bolts missing, i really hope that solves it, as replacing the oil pan gasket involves pulling the engine.
front axle seal leak - not major, but i'm probably going to have to pull that diff apart for this one at some point.
center console latch - requires a beating to get it open sometimes. this one has me loving stumped
Air conditioning system recharge
cleaning intake temperature sensor - thing is at the back of the engine, and is a pain in the rear end to get to.
drivers side mirror - mirror flops around within the housing, i've currently got it wedged in place using a bunch of pennies wrapped in electrical tape.
parking brake adjustment

bonus pictures:

total weight there was 8300kg or 18300lbs, about 1800kg on the front axle, 3300kg on the rear, and 3200kg on the trailer. total of 7" of sag at the tailgate. averaged 10.2 mpg at 105kph(65mph)

total weight there was 5880kg or about 13000lbs, only about 6" of sag at the tailgate. averaged 15.6 mpg at 110kph(68mph)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Powershift posted:

to fix:
leaking fuel line(i think) - causing fuel system to deprime when parked - just a couple loose connections on the top of the fuel pump
crank case breather ejecting oil - hope an oil change clears this upturns out this is normal. ran a hose out of it and zip-tied it to the front axle. now it spits oil on the ground instead of all over the engine bay
leaking oil pan gasket - there are drat bolts missing, i really hope that solves it, as replacing the oil pan gasket involves pulling the engine.
front axle seal leak - not major, but i'm probably going to have to pull that diff apart for this one at some point.
center console latch - requires a beating to get it open sometimes. this one has me loving stumped
Air conditioning system recharge
cleaning intake temperature sensor - thing is at the back of the engine, and is a pain in the rear end to get to. thing as a bitch to get to, but it needed to be cleaned, picked up at least .5mpg
drivers side mirror - mirror flops around within the housing, i've currently got it wedged in place using a bunch of pennies wrapped in electrical tape.
parking brake adjustmentso easy, shoulda done it sooner.

lining em up and knockin em out!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I did a little stage 3 weight removal by taking the running board off plowing through deep hard snow.

Gotta fix this tomorrow

And i tried the 3M headlight restore kit, and it kinda sorta workedish. I'm going to try being a little more agressive on the other one and hopefully get it a little clearer.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

She looks so naked!(canopy sitting in the background came off today)

God, that's a lot of weight and a lot of air resistance gone. A lot of very high weight. if i pull that slip tank and the fuckered spare tire out, i could probably get it under 8,000lbs. racing weight.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

evilnissan posted:

Washed the RX8 and my rusty spot count went from a 3 to a 8.

I swear the PO must have tailgated salt trucks.

I need to take some pictures, the more I think about sanding and touching it up my self the more I think I am going to gently caress it up.

Thank god the hood is aluminum, it's only got about 600 paint chips.

Time to strip and polish the hood.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Yesterday.

Scoop relocation(removal)

busted rear end CD changer replacement.

Today. painted grille.

It would be nice to paint the rim of the wheels in a similar fashion, but i'm lazy and a terrible painter.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

See if you can spot the change!

Soon....

Just have to paint the accents

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Ozmiander posted:

You got another one! What specs and which clacking noises do you still need to fix?

5.4, 3.73ls rear, 4x4, king ranch, every option for the year. And amazingly, nothing to fix!(except the rice)

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

New to me wheels/perellis off a 2012 lariat.

Conditioned the leather. Hopefully hit it with a bit of lexol neatsfoot to bring that color back.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

steering universal change, this was tons of fun.

Suspension wear blocks, looks like it was about time they get done.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Ozmiander posted:

How badly did the PO beat on it?

Not nearly as bad as i have. :clint:

I've put probably 30,000 kms on off-highway in the last year. I don't think it has ever seen anything like what i've put it through. Judging by the style and wear of the tires that were on the truck when i got it, the previous owner was the type of driver who would stop for the night when there is a foot of snow on the road. I don't even stop for a foot of mud...well i do, but only until the cat shows up.

edit: i should note, this is the mack, not the Ferd.

The ford, all i've done lately is condition the gently caress out of the leather.

I loving love this leather, i took a look at a 2010 king ranch earlier today and was sickened.

You have to click to see the full pic to see the damage. It's not even leather, and that truck had 24,000kms, mine has 130,000kms. in another 100k, mine will look as nice or nicer than they do now(i'm probably the first to ever condition them), those will be worn to the foam.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 00:29 on May 16, 2012

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Could be worse. Here's the fun that i've been having lately.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Paint and re-assembled.

First attempt at fiberglass repair and painting. Came out pretty well.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

There are a lot of STI owners that probably would have trunk-swapped you for free.

As for me, i cleaned the throttle body to deal with a rumble when stopped. amazing how a little bit of dirt can be such a pain in the rear end.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jun 7, 2012

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

kylej posted:

Not with a WRX wing they wouldn't have. Believe me, I searched for months. Everything was either beat to poo poo or not available, the supply of people who want something different for their 04-05 WRX/STi is dwindling by the day.

You could have swapped somebody with an RS for their wingless trunk, then used that wingless trunk to swap for an STI trunk

trunk swapping is a complex ecosystem. If i keep the sti wing on my trunk, i'm definitely getting some stabilizers, because that thing flaps like crazy at speed.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Installed a toolbox!

No more driving 10 minutes to get a wrench, or having tools sliding around my back seat.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Frozen-Solid posted:

Broke 2k miles on my 2 month old Sonic.

Then I washed it inside and out to make it look good as new again.

2k in 2 months? the last 2 vehicles i bought, i did 2k in 2 days.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I had my buffer out to fix some paint runs, and decided to take some poishing compound to my headlights. it worked better than the dedicated kits.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

GutBomb posted:

Took it to the body shop to get the "learners permit" damage repaired and they gave me a Prius :(

I expect to see pictures of a prius in the air by the end of the week.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Sprayed it with acid!

cleaned all the aluminum with aluminum cleaner, started polishing....gently caress diamond plate.

I'm just glad the headache got pretty drat shiny with just the acid alone.

As for the pump box, gently caress you, that's as shiny as you're getting.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Capslock Holmes posted:

There's a skid plate you have to remove, yeah. Here's a picture (not mine)

They also put the starter under the intake manifold. Not as common a replacement, but still a pain in the dick.

Today i test-plastidiped one of my summer wheels, it went well, now just to do the rest. I also brought the subaru home and cleaned out a god drat mouse nest from the trunk.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Installed my newly plasti-dipped summers.

I'm painting the grille/shell right now, but it's not going well. possibly due to the cold/humidity.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Looks good! I can't decide what color to go with but I'm definitely dipping the whole car this summer.

http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip_Blaze Doit!

Ozmiander posted:

Doing them and the beige trim in black, i hope.

I was considering it, For now the shell is going green and the grill going beige. This summer i might cover all the beige in black bedliner, as the front and rear bumpers are starting to chip and rust.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Previa_fun posted:

Can't beat the FRS/BRZ for ease of oil filter access:

We'll see who's laughing come spark plug time. :argh:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I disassembled and scrubbed and scrubbed and scrubbed. I cleaned parts of this car no human has ever seen, and no human will ever see again.

The previous owner reaaaaaaally loved speaker wire.

That's gotta be good for a couple pounds of weight savings.

I'm fuckin destroyed from climbing all up in the car like a monkey. I am not a small man, and it is not a big car. Hopefully tomorrow everything will be dry and i can pick up a fuckton of tree clips and put that motherfucker back together. Motherfuckin tree clips.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Tore apart my drat window switch box because it started flaking out.

Disgustingly dirty, inside it looks like one of the contacts shorted and melted the pins which push the contacts together.

I swapped it out with one out of the rear switch, so i can't roll down a rear window from the drivers seat for now but the drivers window is silky smooth. I'll eventually find a junkyard and fix it properly but for now it works.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Had to replace torsion rod bushings to pass the CVIP, they didn't look too bad......oh....

Considering the completely worn one had to be pounded out, i think i'm going to have to wait till monday to get the new ones pressed in.

Speaking of monday, all of the boxes had the same part number, but that big motherfucker on the right was in one of them, really unhelpful.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

In canada, shell v-power premium is ethanol free.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

A big fuckin hammer.

They're just u-joints. you replace em like you would any other u-joint. I've never done em in a pickup, but with the mack it took like half an hour and cost 25 bucks.

e: looking for part number, sounds like the lower shaft is unserviceable, that sounds like a challenge.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jul 21, 2013

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

trouser chili posted:

As it turns out, the brand new lifetime-warranty alternator that's turned all of 50 miles in the 240d is in fact now dead. Go go Autozone lifetime warranty. You'd think they'd bother to screw the lifetime poo poo together at least marginally well.

The 7.25 an hour they pay paco to rebuild alternators is worth paying to get you back into the store to spend more money on stick-on fendervents.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I ripped the dip on one of my rear wheels, so i peeled it off both wheels on that side, still not sure what direction i'll go next.

I'll probably just leave it like this for a while.

Also,

gently caress youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu mack. somehow they decided that requiring you to get the front end 3 feet off the ground is an ok way to remove the radiator.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jul 30, 2013

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

wallaka posted:

Not mine, but helped a buddy do an emergency u-jointectomy on his 1985 Corvette. He bought the thing 6 months ago with 70,000 miles or so and something has been going wrong every 3 weeks or so. Pretty normal for a car that sat for 5 years and is all of a sudden a DD. There was about a half inch of play in the right rear axle, I guess the grease dried up in like 2002. Used the THOR method with the u-joints, it was the easiest part of the whole thing. Wrench sizes needed: 9/16", 15mm, 13/16", 18mm, 1/2", 8mm, and so on. It was fairly frustrating at times. gently caress 1980s GM. It took us about 4 and a half hours but really it should've been 3.

That's where i'm lucky with my mack. Pretty much every bolt is 10, 13, or 15mm. Modern kenworths are about 40% metric, 40% imperial, and 20% "HOLY gently caress IT'S NEITHER, IS THAT A loving PENTAGON?"

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I JB welded my coolant tank!

hooray for half rear end fixes. I think come spring this truck is gone, rain or shine.

On my pickup, i got back into the mud a little and hosed up the plastidip on another wheel.

now i don't know what i'm gonna do.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I changed the oil and (most) of the filters. I changed the egg for the first time in probably 10 months. the old one weighed like 4lbs so i decided to crack it open and it was completely full.

let this be a lesson, change your egg regularly. I put all the gunk into a bottle, i have a theory that while having the rough consistency of crumbly rubber, that it is actually a liquid, this is going to a long term experiment.

I really don't understand why these are cheaper than the air filters for my pickup, it's over 2 feet long and over a foot around

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's still a massive chunk of material for 20 bucks.

Also, of course truckers change their air filters, that's totally a thing that happens. (not mine):

Powershift fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Sep 2, 2013

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Poisonlizard posted:

Plasti-Dip is awesome:

Also, Black should be an option from the factory.

Matte clear plastidip is your friend.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I fixed the grilles. they stay in now. I also did the rear brake pads and front o2 sensors.

Then i looked under the hood and figured, "that's all too boring and grey".

So i grabbed the lime green spraypaint.

Much better! Much more xtreeeem

incase it isn't obvious, the paint pictures are reversed, i was hoping the paint stripper could save the engine cover like it did the airbox and filter covers, but no luck, that will teach me to open the hood before impulse buying cheap auction cars.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

You forgot to put the cross back onto the airbox when you were done :colbert:
don't worry. I keep garlic i the glovebox.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

MidasAg posted:

Installed a new steering wheel in my Dart. With added audio controls and cruise. Everything connected up and worked with no problem. Only took 5 minutes as well.

Were the wires all already in steering wheel hub? I know in fords, even the ultra low base model vehicles have the wiring in place right up to the plug for power seats and such.

I replaced the MAF on my 540 with one from a VW for less than half the price of the BMW one. Only one place in town was even able to order the MAF, and only one place in town had the GOD drat 5 POINT TAMPER RESISTANT TORX BIT gently caress YOU VW gently caress YOU gently caress YOU gently caress YOU.

For future refrence for any canadians, this seems to be the only set in all of canada that has 5 point torx bits. http://www.princessauto.com/pal/en/Sets/68-pc-Ratcheting-T-Handle-Insert-Bit-Set/8380800.p

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Finally found some new wheels for it.

Because i can't leave well enough alone, i'm probably going to pull them back off and plastidip the centers gold, leaving the lip chrome.