Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
Day one(ish) of my small block 350 rebuild started today, popped my cherry and it was definitely a learning experience. I bought the engine yesterday for $250 and buddy threw in some extra heads. It almost bottomed out my rear suspension but I got it to work, the equipment rental place and home. Hoisted the engine out, got it on a stand and pulled off the valve covers, alternator, carb and distributor. Tomorrow I'm going to degrease the outside of the block wipe it clean.

Note to self: When mounting an engine on a stand, take the god drat mounting plate off the stand, bolt it on to the engine and THEN lower the plate and put it back into the stand. If you don't you will struggle for a half hour, get 3/4 bolts in and be unable to get the last one in and almost give up for the day. I seriously thought about my problem for 30 seconds, facepalmed, then did it properly in around 45 seconds. I felt so stupid for a good half hour after that. Ah well, live and learn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.

EightBit posted:

What are you driving that a 350 bottomed out the suspension? Even with the accessories, 2 adult males usually outweigh that.

A beat up 98 S10. I had the engine, extra heads and an engine hoist in the bed. It was probably around 650 - 700 pounds. I had a bit of play but not much.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

As a person who is rebuilding a SBC, I can confidently give you one reason:

You're stupid and you like cheap power.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

Went to the junkyard to steal a park brake assembly off of a Sonoma to replace the broken one in my S10. Unfortunately when I got back home and pulled the broken one I realized that although they look pretty much exactly the same, the way the brake cable sits in them is different enough that the new one isn't compatible. I drove my now park brake-less truck back to the yard just in time for them to close and was forced to return home defeated.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

First time using plasti - dip, turned out really well and I couldn't believe how easy it was. I might do the Nissan emblem but I'm waiting for now.

I'm going to be gone for the next little while but when I get back I plan on getting the brushed aluminum grille painted the same grey as the truck and powder coating the rims a nice glossy black. Should look mean when I'm done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

Installed a tonneau and plastidipped my grille yesterday, no pictures though seeing as we got out first good snowfall last night.