Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
Had to replace the thermostat on my wife's Ascender this weekend, kept throwing a CEL with it not coming up to temp properly. Posts on the trailblazer forums indicate a bad thermostat, so I bought one at O'reilly for 26 dollars. They didn't have Concentrated Dex-Cool either so I needed two bottles ($15 each) of premix as well. The actual replacement wasn't that bad, but you have to remove the alternator to get to it properly. Took me and a friend 45 minutes or so. No CEL yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Got the car back from the tinting place and put some Eibach springs on. It's a 1.4" drop and it may settle more, so if it goes any lower I'll sell the springs and get the 1" version. After 3 weeks I will be adding a camber kit for the front and rear if needed and getting an alignment.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Mike_P posted:

Finally put it together. Had most of the rear suspension apart to replace a leaky fuel tank. Was waiting on some new hardware to arrive before I could finish assembly.

Oh god I feel your pain I had to replace a pump on my 1986 third gen.

Wrapped my secondhand $80 header (msrp like 500!) and put it on my 08 Si. Header wrap smokes like crazy for 10 minutes or so!

New header, wrapped. It's a CT-Engineering stainless shorty. I wanted to keep stock emissions equipment.

Stock Si header.

The sled.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Timbo posted:

YAY! For redneck engineering! Can't get the bracket tight enough ....Zip tie it. What wont these things do.

(cross posted from my barn find thread)

The actual replacement was done at my place. The coil needs to be swapped with the one that has an internal resistor. We also seafoamed it, and had no real smoke to show for it, which actually reflects very well on the fact that timbo had done a bunch of work with oil changes and whatnot. It needs a carb rebuild and a few other things as well. Not bad though!

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

About three weeks ago I got a call from the powder coater saying my wheel was ready so I finally picked it up. I was pretty happy with the quality so I dropped off the rest.

This place refinishes wheels for the large BWM dealership on the northside of town, this finish was $120 supposedly because it's coated twice, one color and one clear finish. Single stage is $80 - not sure if that's good or bad but I'm happy.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

BIG HORNY COW posted:

I decided to make my winter steelies look ridiculous

Needs another couple of cans and then clear coat, but way better than "sort of black and covered rust spots"

Those look great, actually but I'm imagining some sort of dog dish on them. What car are they for?

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

PaintVagrant posted:

Yet another 8th gen civic cmc job :)

Hybrid em1 cmc conversion. A higher quality cmc that doesn't have plastic internals that fail and cause poor shifting/lockouts and grinds.

This one should be much easier because I get to trash the original clutch hardline!

I need to do that the click is driving me nuts.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The Texaco stuff sounds like lanolin oil mixed with a small quantity of stearic acid, if Google is any indication. Fluid Film is also lanolin, so it might be worth trying both.

There's also LPS-3 in the US, which is a waxoyl kind of setup.

LPS-3 is amazing stuff. Their other products are good too.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Painted the stock wheels on the Fit with Plasti-Dip Blurple and a coat of gold metallizer for winter:

Painted the stock wheels on the F-150 Anthracite Grey to tone down the chromeness of the thing:

Painting the truck grill now.

Edit: Got the grill done. What a giant loving pain in the dick to take that grill apart and put it back together.

I like the wheels, the grill I would have left chromed though. That's just me.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

scuz posted:

Any more photos of that bus? I gotta thing for matte black.

He's got a thread on it.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Ferremit posted:

Go Fast Bits Electronic Boost Controller.

Makes the fat old girl pick up her skirts and gently caress off with authority now :D

Car, details?

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

jhcain posted:

An old guy hot rodding pal was telling us the trick they used "back in the day" was to undo one bolt on the flange, and just swivel the plate on the other bolt. The missing bolt obviously "fell out," and could be replaced, roadside, from a convenient spare in the toolbox in the trunk...

I'd guess these aren't strictly legal here, either, so I guess I'll be cautious about the use. Maybe.

Had a buddy that had one of the later Hemi Rams with some dumps on them with studs that he just put the plates on with wingnuts. They were installed after the cats and it sounded pretty gnarly with them off, and totally stock on.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Laserface posted:

I listed a car for $1500, with perfectly running engine and gearbox, and a poo poo body. I made it fully known that I was aware the body was poo poo, but the engine and box are worth $1500 and on top of that it had new tyres, aftermarket wheels and a decent stereo in it.

Some loving rear end in a top hat still came all the way out and then offered $500.

I took it because I am a bitch and already had a new car and just wanted to free up the space in the driveway more than anything else.

I had a truck we bought new, took exceptional care of, and had some poo poo luck with the valvetraing dropping a seat at 104k miles or so. Put it on craigslist for $3300, fended off lowballers left and right, and emailed the same guy like twenty times telling him what I would take. Finally had him come out, gave it a once over and sold it for three even, exactly what I wanted for it. A lot of wasted time. Bah.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Commander Puddin posted:

This 78 Big 10 is a huge rusty shitpile. What started as a Vintage Air install has taken a turn:

Rebuild? Or is something else going in it.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Finally! I can post.

Got my SS tinted today, 35% or so all around. Great spot, younger guy that owns his own company.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Applebees Appetizer posted:

The only thing I really don't like on my Scion xB was the steering wheel, made of a rough textured plastic that felt horrible. Looking around scion has new ones for $$$ but then I found out the Rav4 wheels are a bolt in and found one in excellent condition on ebay for $90.

Original wheel, you can see the rough texture in the pic.

Side by side with the leather Rav4 wheel on the left.

Buttons swapped over as the Rav4 buttons don't work with the Scion airbag. Gonna snag a Rav4 airbag down the road so I can use the phone control buttons as well. They are expensive tho, maybe I can find one cheap eventually.

New leather hotness.

Not a bad upgrade for $90 huh?

No that's a great upgrade. I had a company car that was a 09 scion xD and my personal car was a 08 Civic Si with a wonderful small diameter leather wrapped wheel. The Scions was just unpleasant.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Oil Change, removed engine beauty cover and wiped it down and then a bath.

Mr-Spain fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Nov 27, 2017

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Is that Some Like It Hot Red or the other red?

Some Like it Hot. In bright light it's a real coppery color, overcast its almost burgundy.

Edit: higher rez https://i.imgur.com/0KbwjxY.jpg

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I think I really like that color, but I've never seen it look the same in more than one picture. I've been stalking local dealerships to see if they ever get one in because I really want to see that color in person. If it looks the way I think it does, I may end up using it on my car eventually.

Nice ride, man.

Thanks! I've been looking at rebuilt LSA blowers on ZZP but it's gotta stay someone stock for now w/ a warranty and dailying it and all.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Local advanced auto was having a good sale as they finally opened from Harvey. 5qts Mobil1 and a filter $30, plus half price quarts after that. So that and 2 qts more got the wife's ride changed, added an air filter and some odds and ends and got to $98 - with their rewards you get to $100 and then get twenty off the next purchase so my kid picked out a keychain and we were good to go.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

I remember my dad having to replace his in his 550 SL. Interesting. The amount of room that hardtop takes up in the trunk is impressive.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

You haven't been to Texas much, have you?

They're just being lazy and don't want to fill paperwork. Talk to the supervisor and report the hit and run. It's over a grand in damage.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Night Danger Moose posted:

It is the motor. I was told that you're supposed to check the oil level every 300-400 miles, and get it changed every 1500-2000 miles. It might be a stretch but there was no immediate leak issues with the engine itself.

Sounds like it's check it at every other fill up then. If there wasn't something wrong with it before there is now.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

doogle posted:

Installed an intake and tune on the Chevy SS. Supposedly picks up about 35whp from stock between the two.

Before

After

I also found out I have about a foot of space between the belts and the fans in case anything would want to live there in the future.

What tune? Livernois? Rotofab is the go-to but i think the window for the air filter is cheesy.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Ordered tires for it for install next week. Hopefully get those by midweek for install plus an alignment.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

savesthedayrocks posted:

Look like a great deal, let us know how you like the firehawks. I just ordered a set of Continental ExtremeContact DW’s, will report back as well.

Yea they are the popular ones right now that are a rebranded Bridgestone iirc - right now they also have a 60 dollar visa rebate on a purchase of four. I’ll update later.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

doogle posted:

I actually need tires for my '15 SS too, I'll probably go with those as well.

My radio died in the SS 10 days out of warranty. GM offered to cover 50% of it so I went with that at about $600 out of pocket. The new radio has a 12 month warranty too. I talked them into giving me the most updated maps/software, but as you are aware the mylink in these cars seems like it is from 2001 and I usually just use Waze on my cell phone anyway.

Also,

Kooks long tube headers -> Kooks green catted x pipe -> magnaflow 14419 resonators -> stock mufflers

I tried to find '16 or '17 bimodal mufflers to retrofit (with WOT switch to activate them) but they are millions of dollars if you buy them new and I can't find used ones.

Si guy - the shifter cable bushings alone made worlds of difference on my 08 si. Good luck looks like a good build you have going.

Doogle that’s going to sound sick. I found a guy selling the bimodals on the Facebook buy/sell group for 300 but they just sold before I could snag them. Crazy good deal.

Like the Firestone’s great so far going to run them up a road down here and see how they compare to stock, but so far so good.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

doogle posted:

I actually need tires for my '15 SS too, I'll probably go with those as well.

My radio died in the SS 10 days out of warranty. GM offered to cover 50% of it so I went with that at about $600 out of pocket. The new radio has a 12 month warranty too. I talked them into giving me the most updated maps/software, but as you are aware the mylink in these cars seems like it is from 2001 and I usually just use Waze on my cell phone anyway.

Also,

Kooks long tube headers -> Kooks green catted x pipe -> magnaflow 14419 resonators -> stock mufflers

I tried to find '16 or '17 bimodal mufflers to retrofit (with WOT switch to activate them) but they are millions of dollars if you buy them new and I can't find used ones.

So I got a chance to hoon for a little bit, nothing much just a little slippery intersection and I didn't put it down enough to slip, thought it would be enough, put some more into it and nope just went straight and hauled. Full traction control on, sport mode on, rolled onto it from about 10 MPH or so. Lots more confident I won't ditch it on my next run.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

EvilBeard posted:

Got up early and went to the garage where my dad and I's 31 project is sitting. We got the radiator out, and they do not make them like they used to. I think it's solid copper. It was all I could do to lift it.

We have a new aluminum one to go in its place. We're leaving it out to work on the steering.

We've got a disc brake kit ordered for it, so it's ready for that when it arrives. The biggest obstacle for the front end is running the steering linkage to the front and making it around the exhaust. We might have to put close tube headers on it.

Got the old rear end out, and got the new rear end cleaned up and sitting on the perches. Need to find 10" u bolts to get it sat down and then get the proper rear end angle before welding them on. No one in town had any, so we ordered them.

Hopefully by next weekend, we have the rear done, brakes ordered, and then the front parts are here. We can always fight the steering, but I'm dreading that.

Got news that a friend of the family has a pole barn that's heated/cooled, on a concrete pad, and is willing to rent and possible sell it. If I can buy it for less than the cost of building one, I'm considering buying it. It's a couple miles from my house, but I could put a proper lift in it, and just make it a nice shop (about 8 cars will fit in it). I'm really excited by this possibility.

Is that a high rise single plane on the small block? What’s the specs on the motor? Cool project by the way.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

doogle posted:

So, I finished with the Kooks exhaust install. I had everything I needed except an exhaust expander, which I didn't even know was a thing. I did it all on jackstands, it took a total of 8 hours. If I were to do it again I could probably do it in 5-6. Results:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjCsyBoZCEw

~15db louder on cold start, about the same revving the car in neutral (4k rpm limit in neutral). The car is substantially louder at full throttle under load, with a bit of rasp. I will either get a Borla axleback or some magnaflow resonators to help quiet it down.

Jet Hot coated headers to Kooks Green Cats

Kooks sent me their updated X pipe so it clears the tunnel brace

Easily clears the tunnel brace

Awesome, I really like it.

Edit - yes the Firehawks seem like a great buy. Just took a 400 mile road trip in them and no complaints. Mine are aired to about 37 pounds when they are hot.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Dagen H posted:

Keep Austin Weird

That's on him? Shouldn't be a claim on your insurance. Also fuuuuuuuuck Austin traffic!

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

MasonF posted:

It comes on whenever the clutch is engaged on the Supercharger, usually around 1/3-1/2 throttle.

Well, I'm selling the 850R to feed my Toyota addiction, if you know anyone in the market to buy it... :shepspends:

Thanks!

When you post it link some pictures that looks great.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Replaced the window regulator on my 2001 GMC 1500, yet again. This truck has now had a total of 5 regulators in it now. Terrible freaking design, but at least they are easy to change. I got a can on white lithium and greased the hell out of the rails and cables and then the next day took the (other) door panel off and got to what I could.

Mr-Spain fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Oct 22, 2018

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

doogle posted:

Before, stock brakes.

After, gen 2 CTS-V calipers and EBC redstuff pads/EBC slotted rotors.

Looks good. Also the size of the CTS-V ones make the stocks look small, and they are not. By a long ways.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Put two quick struts in my wife's Armada - wow that's the best way to do that. Tightened up the ride really well.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

doogle posted:

I was thinking about the procharger route, the LSA isn't much cheaper these days since you can't get $1000 blowers from ebay anymore. I can get a procharger kit (P1SC) for $5500 plus the cost of a tune.

Whoa where are you getting that price from? I'm about to do similar, TSP cam and intake+headers or the procharger.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Yea, I'm in north Houston and these last rounds of storms have been intense. 4.5 inches last 24 hours down here. Two miles south at the inlaws and barely got anything.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

doogle posted:

Got this in the mail...

Specs? I'm running the Auto and don't want to change my converter right now.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

doogle posted:

https://youtu.be/iYxEzI0W69o

I installed an ATI balancer, melling oil pump, new chain/guide, an improved racing crank scraper, and a livernois 2c cam kit this weekend. Took about 40 hours, plus a 6 hour parts run on a Sunday getting the only non-broken crank pulley installer from autozone in a 50 mile radius.

I can't wait to get something similar done but a new found leak in my master bath shower pan has put my car budget on hold :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Cool.

I replaced the tailshaft seal in a my 2001 GMC Sierra this weekend, it wasn't too bad but it's a two piece shaft so having someone else there really helped as I didn't lift it up that far off the floor. Seal tool only really helped when we got the seal started by levering it out from the outside, and put a nice nick on the inside of the tailshaft, but it wasn't touching anything and the RTV looks like it went in good. No leaks so far and it looks like we didn't mess up the balance or anything. 135k miles on it right now.