Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."
Put my C-Pillar trim back on my car very carefully since its worth about as much as the rest of the car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."
Tried to replace the front lower balljoints but I've managed to lose the key to my lugnuts. Now I'm bummed I can't do the repair till Wensday when I'm able to drive to a shop that has spares I can buy.

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."
Today, I finally finished charging my A/C system. Sucks driving around in stop and go traffic in the middle of summer with no A/C.

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."
Whew did this all three hours ago on my MR2.

*Replaced my front sway bar bushings
*Replaced my front control rod bushings
*Front tie rod ends
*Replaced rack and pinion bushings
*Replaced rear balljoints
*Rotated the tires
*Found my mystery oil leak
*Replaced the bolt that fell out of my transmission mount. :(
*Realigned my front torque mount since the engine was sitting a little low. (Led me to discover my transmission mount's missing bolt)
*Adjusted my new rear strut bar to fit and bolted it in.

Tomarrow;
*Fix my toe-in to I can drive it to get it aligned Monday
*Take it on some twisty country roads to "bed in" the new suspension. :3:
*Plan out the rear suspension overhaul.
*Replace the rear torque mount since it's rubber shock has completely fallen apart thanks to the engine wiggling around due to the missing transmission mount
*Clean the interior and cry about the cracked dash, and worn drivers seat.

My driver's side tie-rod end was a handful of miles from failing. Ugh, good timing.

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."
Installed a stock rear visor on my MK1 MR2. Broke half the loving clips on the c pillar doing so. Stupid C pillars are worth their weight in gold.

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."
Replaced all the remaining bushings in my rear suspension and the last two ballkjoints. Noticed that my rear shocks and strut tops are blown then wept.

Kotaru fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Nov 8, 2009

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."
Replaced the radiator on my MR2.
Fixed my broken Radiator fan switch.
Replaced both front hoses with new clamps.
Flushed the whole system, bled and filled.

All in the rain, god that sucked.

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."
Main focus for me today was replacing the inner tierods and the inner housing bushing (That little cute white busing for those who speak AW11). Managed to strip the driver side front rack support bolt (there is little to no clearance there, I dropped the radiator hose support and carefully bent the A/C lines as much as I could to gain clearance) putting it all back together. After a short panic and brain storming session I pulled out my thread chaser and tap kit, cleaned up the threads in the body then tried to salvage the bolt. The bottom 1/4 of the bolt had lost all of the threads. Quick dremeling, thread chasing and loctite and the whole assembly was bolted back together.

If this doesn't fix my 55mph+ shimmy its got to be the wheels/tires since the entire front suspension is completely new now.

After that was done I assembled my MRS seats and prepped them for next weekend when I test fit and modify the rails so they will fit.

Nothing exciting, I'm pretty boring. Hopefully my front wheels don't go crosseye while going to school tomarrow and send me into the ditch/tree/school bus because I forgot something. :smith:

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."
^^^
Nothing that cool, but I trashed my saggy old seats and put in some nice black cloth seats from a 2003 MR2.

Click here for the full 1146x1528 image.

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."
Finally finished completely rebuilding my entire suspension. Final piece was a set of new rear tierods! It doesn't clunk or wobble anymore! The only bad thing is my steering wheel is now pointing to 11 oclock which is confusing me since I was working on the rear of the car, but I'll see what my alignment shop says Tuesday when I take it in.

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."
Replaced the 100,000 mile old ingition wires with a cheap accel kit I got for 16 bucks. New HGK copper sparkplugs, new rotor and cap. Basic tuneup.

Trying to track down my random hard start issue so next are my spare injectors going off to witchhunter and a new fuel filter.

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."
Finally dug around my beater 98 sable wagon to find out why it lost all oil pressure a year ago (I'm lazy as hell when in school).

The camshaft position sensor had exploded, I found pieces of it all over the transmission and the remains still attached to the harness. The "point" on the synchronizer shaft is bent to hell so this leads me to assume the drive gear on this shaft has also sheared and spins freely. Would explain my lack of oil pressure since this whole piece of poo poo drives the pump from the camshaft. When it lost pressure it was driven for a few blocks to get back to my house since I really didn't give a poo poo about the car and excused this stupidity with the logic "Its 30F outside and the engine is still cold, what little oil still in the bearings should cushion it enough."

Ford Vulcan V6, what a blast.. I need to find a replacement synchronizer assembly now on the cheap and hope the bottom end isn't fubar.

Edit: Yep, missing gear teeth and the remaining teeth are razor sharp.

Click here for the full 1528x1146 image.

Kotaru fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jun 28, 2010

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."
Dropped my MR2 off at the body shop to get the fender fixed after some dumb bitch crashed into me. I'm nervous about other people touching my car.

My free rental is a dodge avenger; bleh.

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."
Got around to getting my old beater station wagon inspected then charged the A/C and added some dye(see how big of a leak I have).

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."
Finished my new door cards, its pretty :rice: I admit.

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."
*Re-RTVed my oil pan. gently caress YOU SLOW DRIP!
*Randomly got paranoid and put 2 extra pairs of jackstands under my car.
*Regreased, and rebooted both driveshafts.
*Replaced the O-Rings on the oil cooler adapter. gently caress YOU TOO AS A PRECAUTION!
*Tore off the old busted transmission, its easy when you dont' care about it.
*Stripped every single mounting bolt on the old transmission with my first ever impact gun try to transplant the mounts. Ugh..
*Replaced the flywheel, clutch and PP. Threadlocked the poo poo out of the flywheel and PP bolts, don't need a 10lb piece of chromoly flying through the passenger cab at a billion rpm straight into my spine.
*Biceped my new transmission on with some help from a friend. I feel fat and old, I was able to chest lift a Getrag 3500 onto my old truck by myself 7 years ago and now I can't even lift the tiny little C52 without my arms going all noodle.
*Wept when I saw my torque mounts where torn and less than 2 years old.

My poor MR2 looks so sad and oily. There is brake cleaner in my screwdriver wounds. :(

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."
Finally changed out the last of the o-rings on my 89 MR2 and started pumping out my AC system. I also spent Saturday getting sunburned out at a pick and pull 2 hours north of me (because there isn't ANYTHING closer). On a complete whim I decided I want to stuff a v6 into my car down the road and might as well start researching it.

Meet my new 1mzfe out of a t-boned 95 Camry. Even if the motor is trash, its a start and only 200 bucks.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."

My 99 junkyard 1MZFE. Just finished cleaning everything. In process of replacing valve stem seals and working on the heads. Need to order some OEM headgaskets before I button it all back together. Everything in that picture engine related cost about 300 bucks total.

Woo! Budget builds!

I have to now watch this video 30 more times to motivate myself enough to get it into the MR2; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WAGPPRWWmA

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."
Took my car down the Twisted Sisters in Kerrville Texas for the first time. Kept up with the supercharged MRS in our group. I need a bigger engine and better brakes now.

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."
Dragged my new purchase (1987 MR2) down from my friends house which is a 2 hour drive on 4 rotten tires being towed by a E150 van. I thought I was going to die.

This poor, poor thing has been abused beyond words. Time to throw a bandaid on it and drive it into the ground. Not bad for 500 bucks.

My humble little garage, lets start dragging towards the day's objectives.

The original problem I discovered after purchase (I tried to drive it home and made it only 5 miles down the road before it started overheating.) It has a completely blown headgasket, only running on 2 cylinders and pissed all of its oil/coolant sludge all over itself. So to make things easier let just drop the whole drat drivetrain.

Ying and yang.

The 87's whole purpose is to haul my dumbass around while I drop the new engine for my white 89 in.

Kotaru fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jan 9, 2012

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."

Nodoze posted:

What are you putting in the white one, another 4AGE?

1999 1MZFE :smugdog:

The white one right now has a 92 smallport 4AGE. If I keep the 87, I might just put the smallport in it and turn it into a track tub.

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."

Nodoze posted:

Wouldn't a 3SGTE be better?
I have no interest in the 3sgte. The 1mzfe is lighter, smoother and drat near everyone does a 3sgte swap. 2300lb car with a big torquey v6 is lancia stratos level of awesome.

2ndclasscitizen posted:

You can get a V6 in the back of an AW11? Interesting, hmmm.....

What gearbox do you use for the swap?

You can either use the s54 out if a mk2 na or the turbo transmisson. The hard part is mounting it but companies like woodsport in the uk make bolt up solutions for half the mounts.

Ill start a thread once I start working on my 89

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."

Nodoze posted:

Fair enough, I was just curious. I didn't know that it fit

Also in looking this up I see they made a supercharger for it that you can put in the sienna :stare:

Good luck finding one that isn't tired and under 2,000. :(

There is guy on the twobrutal forums that is building a kit that uses the Scion TC's supercharger and turns that whole ordeal into a plug and play. Woodsports is also stuffing a BMW v12 into a MK2. They have an MK1 with an audi v8 already.

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."
Got most of my red MR2 buttoned back up, fired it up.

I did figure out that starting a car with no exhaust and a nonworking o2 sensor in a 10x20 storage unit will cause you to lose hearing for a few minutes. Goddamn a backfire is loud.

I need an oxygen sensor.

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."
Started the first baby steps towards my engine swap.

Exhaust out.

Started disconnecting everything. All I have left is some coolant lines, the fuel lines and the motor mounts.

You should be going in within a few weeks.

Also fixed a MASSIVE oil leak in my beater MR2, but thats boring.

I'm getting excited. :)

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."
Filled my beater MR2 with stopleak (What I get for throwing a cheap headgasket on a warped head). Had to use a screw driver to jam all the little pellets down the nozzle. Use 1/2 can for a 4 cylinder. Whole can it is then. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."
Picked up my new daily driver from the previous owner, replaced the water pump, blower motor and tracked down a vacuum leak. Then drove for a very, very long time..

Camaros are so easy to work on compared to an MR2. :)