Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I made a coilover adjustment: http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/ZMx5wVwyEvLHZvC9Yrxa9Q?feat=directlink

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I did a rear wheel bearing on my 2002 Passat. Beat book time by like 10 minutes, it was crazy easy. Hopefully the front upper control arm bushings go as smoothly!

After I get the Passat in happier condition, it's time to tackle the BMW.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Started getting it ready to drive by putting a new battery in (bought a float charger for next time it's gonna be parked for months at a time) and a quick wash. It needs a detail badly.

http://i.imgur.com/IBkYEGp.jpg

I hate those wheels. So ugly...

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I have everything I need to diagnose the leak in my air conditioning system. Fingers crossed! I've got plenty of r134a if/when it gets fixed. Not having aircon sucks, even in Portland

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Chinatown: who did that and how much did it cost?

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Taking a break from the madness

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

That's what I did to the e46

The Focus got a Steeda rear sway bar and its lovely as gently caress stock tires replaced wth Michelin Primacy A/S. What a difference tires can make...

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Imperador do Brasil posted:

We are allegedly getting actual winter weather soon.

What are those doohickies you parked on and do they prevent flatspotting?

Asking because I have a shitbox with nice tires that gets parked for months at a time

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Imperador do Brasil posted:

They are called, creatively enough, Flat Stoppers. A company called Race Ramps makes them. They are very light and easy to move around and position. I've been using this same set for about 4 years between the Shelby, Genesis and now the Corvette.
The tire contact surface is cupped to help with flat spots and I haven't had a single lumpy tire in the past 4 springs. I was kinda surprised when they showed up at how light they are, but they have a nice grippy coating on them so all you have to do is slide them in front of or behind your tires and gently drive up onto them. At least on my garage floors they haven't shifted while I was getting up on them. The Corvette has 275 rears and they fit with plenty of room, so they're pretty wide.
Here's an Amazon link that shows what they look like a little better.
http://www.amazon.com/Race-Ramps-RR-FS-Flatstopper-Pack/dp/B003ZAGJAM

Thank you! You are both a gentleman and a scholar.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Making preparations for purchasing a slightly broken 2002 Ranger for $500. I totally need a forth vehicle.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Raluek posted:

Are you going to write your own ECU in Forth? :v:

I need a fourth vehicle about as much as I need to learn :derp:Forth:derp:

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

My ride got owned by my apartment's garage door

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Today's car poo poo: Not specifically my ride (tho it's fun to stand on the turntables). I'm so goddamn close to being able to do my own alignments...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Wasabi the J posted:

I submit people with stock drain plugs all take a pic with their stock plug magnetically interact with a ferrous object?

Does it count if it’s been on my car for over 10 years and feels stock by now? As a side note, I have had to clean it off every time. Always a little bit of something. Once was an oil squirter!

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

dissss posted:

Lol what a crazy implementation.

On my MT Mazda the stop start kicked in as soon as put the transmission in neutral and let the clutch out then the engine started again as soon as you started pushing the clutch pedal.

That’s how it was on my 2015 Focus 1.0 6-speed. I actually really liked it, and was confused when people would bitch about auto start/stop until I drove something else.

I forget what I drove recent that had it, some rental... it was much more annoying in an auto than my manual Focus.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Lube them sliders damnit!

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

BigPaddy posted:

They do if you have a special tool that only Porsche sells for $1500

Thank you for the push I needed to stop daydreaming about a 981 and start daydreaming about a 360

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Please tell me where to get one, tia!

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

HOMOEROTIC JESUS posted:

Yeah, it looks like the A/C compressor is out. It's not a job I really wanna do so it sounds like mechanic time.

I've had a few cars where the compressor seized and I was able to buy a belt that routes around the AC but drives all the other accessories. The internet may have an answer for you on that one.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

GF’s new-to-her Mustang got a quickie wash/spray wax/interior clean alongside a new cabin air filter. Good to see Ford is consistent in needing to scrunch up the filter to get it in and out.

Elantra got its Pilot Sport AS4’s back on after a long winter of X-ice 3 usage. We go skiing almost every weekend otherwise I’d have done this switch a lot sooner - it’s like driving a whole new car!

Miata got driven. I have never had so much big-truck aggression before. Not on the bikes, not in the MR2, not in a rental Corolla in Dallas. What the gently caress? For visibility’s sake alone I kind of wish I’d gotten a red one. This color blends into the road a bit too much, McBrodozer doesn’t care about the tint of blue in the right light I don’t think.

BMW got stared at. It’s on the lift for new O2 sensors so it’ll pass emissions, then a new headunit with CarPlay and maybe an LSD and seats.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I don’t think those have lockdown cables do they? I do know they are as known for transmission issues as the 3.0 Vulcan is known for headgasket failures.

I love me a cheap beater but this doesn’t sound like that great of a deal unless you’re looking for living room furniture.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Full Collapse posted:

That's so German, it hurts.

It’s how basically any car with auto-up windows works.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Hypnolobster posted:

Washed it :3:

Stripwash, hasty clay bar and turtle hybrid ceramic. I really need to repaint the hood and swap over the non-faded and holeless bumpers. And paint the calipers sliver, and refinish the wheels and

I love the mk1 focus so much :11tea::3:

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Thanks for your key biting! Someone will be by to get the Civic shortly (Kidding, hopefully).

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Oh sorry, I should be more clear. That picture of your key is more than enough info for a moderately skilled miscreant to cut their own copy from code.

https://youtu.be/AayXf5aRFTI

Not that you have to worry too much here but you’ll notice (as an example) Doug Demuro holds keys he’s showing with the blade hidden.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Suburban Dad posted:

That seems unnecessarily complicated. Why do this?

To confuse the next owner, of course!

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Spent over $800 getting the Volvo and Fiero through DEQ and registered. Feels good to get that sorted, especially the Volvo - what a loving saga.

Yesterday the Q5 had its oil/spark plugs/cabin and air filters serviced and snow wheels/tires swapped on, and a transmission mount reinforcement. Tomorrow the Hyundai gets a similar work up except it’s not time for the snows yet and it’s getting a PowerFlex roll restrictor bushing.

I just now realized that 5 of my cars are all due for re-registration around the same time, which gets super annoying when I also tend to rotate them until they’re all due for a service at the same time. I’m really good at procrastination.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I installed a new PCV valve in my Q5 yesterday. Quick and easy job, now it drives smoother and gets better MPG in addition to fixing the related CEL.

Looks shockingly good under there for having over 215k miles on it. Almost like maintenance helps something last longer :-)

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

We recently moved a lot closer to my shop so a lot more car work has been getting done lately.

MY WIFE did wiper blades, an interior detail, and the first oil change on her Ecoboost Mustang with no issues, very proud to see that.

I installed a 3D printed double din adapter (shoutout r/3dprintmything) for my Volvo 760 Turbo and a $40 CarPlay head unit and charged the Fiero’s battery. I also started removing the 24 year old clearbra from the Grand Voyager I need to get sold. Last week I installed a dipstick and auto start/stop system setting rememberer thing in the new Q5, scheduled tint and clearbra, and have been staring at a set of tuxmats in my office.

This coming week will hopefully be more work on the spun-bearing Subaru that’s been hogging the lift for far too long. It’s easy to ignore a project when you can leave it up in the air and sort of out of sight. Doing oil changes on the ground sucks. Also hoping to get the old Q5 posted for sale and maybe even tidy up the Fiero enough to bring home and drive, and if I’m feeling really adventurous the BMW and Miata will get a bath.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Darchangel posted:

Hold up.
There seems to be a zero missing here.

I actually overstated the price: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0BKW2RV1J?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

It’s pretty poo poo but it’s also perfectly functional enough. Perfectly in line with the car it’s in.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Amazon has a 1 din CarPlay unit with a slightly oversized screen. If I can ever getting around to replacing the Fiero’s serpentine belt I plan to get one for it.

https://www.amazon.com/Carplay-METEESER-Bluetooth-Charging-External/

Many vendors, prices vary, this is just an example, blah blah blah.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

STR posted:

Your link is broken.

https://www.amazon.com/Carplay-METEESER-Bluetooth-Charging-External/dp/B0BB1VR53F

You need the /dp/ and ASIN (Amazon Standard Identification Number) in the URL.

<3 thank you!

I tried to delete the loving page of bullshit tracking garbage and clearly failed.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Yesterday I filled the washer fluid reservoir. How it took me so long to discover washer fluid concentrate I’ll never know.

Just be careful not to get it on your hands. The bottle is not joking when it says “super concentrate” (My fingers are a little blue still).

RIP Paul Walker fucked around with this message at 16:22 on May 14, 2023

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

This is the sort of thing I dreamed about as a weirdo in early 2000's Omaha <3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Lowered it and got it a Macan GTS alignment!

Really not sure how much I'm loving these wheels... Even when they're clean they're a little underwhelming and definitely don't look like the freakin' 20" rimmmmmz that they are.