Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Replaced the fuel filter on my xc90 and found out it had been running on a smaller filter for 90s fords with rubber hoses added to make the clamp hold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Bye 3rd row :wave:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

bye seat #4 :wave:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Installed two hyperspots and one spotlight I snagged on ebay

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Got the new cargo area mockup half done

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

yeah that is tight, sorry to hear about your fence incident

Powershift posted:

Are you rigging it up to camp in?

I didn't start with that idea but it is going to be better for camping. It started with reading a sweedespeed thread where someone removed the 3rd row for a trip and took a bunch of pics. I thought that'd be cool since I never use the third row, having a larger under-floor trunk area would be cool and it looked pretty easy. Then I got the idea to put in a subwoofer in, and the best place to do that is between the 2nd row seats so I took out the center seat there too. The cardboard is at the same level as the tailgate and what the 3rd row seats used to fold down to, so the interior is essentially the same size as before.

Now I've got a bunch of ideas:
  • center console between 2nd row seats, with usb charging, maybe AC plug
  • subwoofer under that console, fires angled down/forward, ports exit under seats, enclosure extends a few inches into wheel well area
  • forced air cooling channel for electronics (there is actually rear AC in this car that I could pipe in lol - really I should take it out and make use the space)
  • storage areas all over
  • lipofe4 accessory battery
  • car pc, with canbus interface
  • audio stuff
  • airbed
  • on board compressor
  • inverter
  • power supply for all that stuff
  • charge controller
  • battery powered heater
  • pelier cooler (there is actually a factory option for a tunnel console that is a compressor based cooler but it's rare and expensive)
  • built in cordless power tool storage and charger
and the list gets longer and longer the more I think about it. So some prioritization and scope trimming needs to happen and some of these are a little out there. Right now I'm working on the outer dimensions, then I'll have to nail down how much volume goes to what and where it should be. Oh and I want to design and build the electronics, well not the car PC, but power supplies and amplifiers.

taqueso fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Dec 20, 2019

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Continuing on the new floor project, now with real wood

Ended up needing to make more cuts, since I mixed up radius and diameter for the kerf bending calculator. I cut 1/2 inch off each side of the area between the seats so it will clear the seats with carpet. Subwoofer is going to be a tight fit.

taqueso fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Dec 25, 2019

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Now that end of year stuff is settled down, new floor work continues. Haven't glued anything yet but the curve is completed, cracked a little from my diameter/radius mistake, shouldn't a problem for the final result but it hurts to see it.

I haven't notched the end to fit over the driveshaft tunnel so it is raised up 2" in these pics:

Bonus shot of the rear AC ducting that could go away but I'm not sure what use that area would be for anything but some cables.
'

taqueso fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jan 5, 2020

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

They do, rear AC to c-pillar vents. I think it would be possible, but I'm going to put a subwooder between the seats. However, a cooler on one of the sides (behind the 2nd row) or between the front seats I would be in to.

The idea I had was to make the c-pillar vents intake & outlet for cooling the electronics. Which, now that I'm thinking about this more, is not mutually exclusive with keeping the cooler.

You've got the wheels turning now. The tunnel console between the front seats comes out so I could just extend the tunnel cover and build a cooler chamber there. The console is horrible, made for holding CDs, and the leather on top is hosed, so this could be good.

e: closer to the evaporator is better, so maybe behind the left 2nd row is the best spot

or on top of the wheel well

taqueso fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jan 5, 2020

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Realized I could use the face of the old cabinet and save myself a bunch of time. It fits, barely. It's going to need a channel so the driver can actually be taken in and out once it's glued:

Donor cab:

It looks like it should be a good size and be reasonably comfortable once the corner gets rounded and there's something covering the plywood.

Cut out the door to the trunk area;

Simulated trunk open:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

looks like it was sprayed with rust reformer

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

car status: shiny

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Been making some progress on the box. Mostly glued bottom part:

Mostly glued top part:

Final test fit before I glue the top and bottom together:

Inside:

First time doing major epoxy stuff, it's sort of fun. This thing is going to be so loving sturdy.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

(not shown) Finished up the damping material in the harder to get to spots. The improvement on the outer skin on the rear wheel well was incredible, from a reverb machine to a quick solid thunk.

Return the OEM foam pad

Add foam to build up the low areas

Seems ok, might want one more thin layer to make sure it gets compressed? :shrug:

taqueso fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Feb 2, 2020

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

More foam? yes more foam

More glue? yep

But now I'm out of epoxy for a few days

taqueso fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Feb 2, 2020

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Took out the front seats so I could remove more carpet and pull the rear heat vents. There sure is a lot of unused volume under the front seats:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

More shiny

Cut the 3rd row ducts and blocked them off, added some foam to the duct piece where it might touch

night sight photo is amazing, that duct was very dark

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

More foam, this time it's memory foam carpet pad, glued in where the ducts used to be

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

drat, hard to follow that up

added speed holes and mystic spirals

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Thats the top, flipped upside down. The subwoofer driver goes in the narrow part farthest from the camera. The spirals of PVC are the ports for the subwoofer, but they don't quite exit the enclosure yet. They will exit at the far left and right. The 'speed holes' are just to allow better airflow between the sections. I only really needed to do it near the center where the wings and console meet, but I had the drillbit out so I did the other spots too.

I should have another update tonight with the last couple faces glued on.

taqueso fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 8, 2020

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Tomarse posted:

What is this going into?

2004 Volvo XC90

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Toccata and Fugue in D minor :corsair:

I built this to hopefully play really low, hoping to get 105dB at 12Hz or so. I listen to all kinds of stuff and want quality over quantity.

side note: the lowest note on a full size organ is (IIRC) 6Hz, I think I'd need 18" and the entire cargo space for that.

taqueso fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Feb 8, 2020

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igHOaMOzzUo

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

It looks a lot more like a box now

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Yeah, it's been in and out of the car way too many times. Hopefully that means it fits now...

The cardboard didn't actually end up helping much with the actual cutting but it got me thinking about what I was going to do in a more concrete way.

If you click the ? at the bottom of my post you can see more pics including a test fit.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Some fairing work, ehhh, probably should have read up on how to do it. Maybe I'm supposed to shape it while it cures. I know how to shape it with a sander :shrug:

taqueso fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Feb 9, 2020

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

More

I should have masked off the speaker mounting circle with plastic and packing tape.

taqueso fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Feb 10, 2020

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Not quite there but that's enough sanding for now

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Not too bad now

The current port situation

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Darchangel posted:

If that stuff is anything like Bondo, you should shape it with a "cheese-grater" when it's partially cured.
Any particular reason you didn't use MDF? I find that lot easier to work with for speaker cabinets than common plywood (the really good multilayer ply is a different matter.) For one thing, you can screw into the "end grain" without too much worry. Well, any more than putting screws anywhere else in the MDF, at least. Potentially less moisture-resistant, but you can seal it with paint or polyester resin as well, like you did on the plywood. Does get *heavy* though, which is actually a plus for a subwoofer cabinet - mass to reduce resonance and flex.

I built my last subwoofer out of MDF (for indoor use) and chose plywood this time because I thought it would be more durable. This one has to be a floor and will have a hinged door attached, which seemed iffy for MDF. MDF is easy to work with (except the dust sucks) but it seems to break apart pretty easily. Now that I have some epoxy experience, I think coating the MDF and epoxying in the hardware probably would have resulted in something strong enough. :shrug:

This bit of project is starting to feel pretty close to 'done' but after it's done I have a little problem -- nothing to drive the subwoofer with and no way to get an audio signal from the headunit...

taqueso fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Feb 11, 2020

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I didn't bolt it down but it drops onto the supports nicely. More importantly, I can get it into the car. It weighs 87 lbs without the speaker at this point.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

First attempt at shaping the end of the ports

Trunk door hinges fitted:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

taqueso posted:

First attempt at shaping the end of the ports

Fill in all the voids and make a wall

Hog it out until it feels right, plus extra around the voids

Stuff some chopped strand mat in the holes because they go all the way through

Wet that down with thin epoxy then cover with thick epoxy
You can't see it but I filled in the area behind the wall to make it blend smoothly

Smooth after partial curing

tomorrow hopefully I can get to the final shape, then try to copy it on the passenger side

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I filled in the area behind the driver so it can make a smooth transition to the carpet (after a bunch of sanding)
using packing tape to make the form

I tried to put the driver in today, and it didn't quite fit

taqueso fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Feb 23, 2020

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

take the tape off

a couple hours later

go ham on the port

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Virtual Captain posted:

I know you said so already but what epoxy is this exactly?

I don't think I've mentioned it before, but the epoxy is the cheapest stuff I could find. Going with system 3 or a big brand would have been at least double the cost. I'm also not trying to make a fancy boat:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NH9RN2T

Fumed silica:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VXVAAGE

Microballoons:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MU1G11O

The fumed silica makes the epoxy thicker and stronger, the microballoons make it easier to sand and bulkier for fairing stuff. Here is plain epoxy, about the viscosity of vegetable oil:

Here it is with some fumed silica to get to face cream consistency, good for filleting or a syringe to fill voids

With microballoons added, about peanut butter thickness, good for fairing work. It sands easily but isn't as strong:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I really should get in the cabosil resale business, 100 lbs bag is $200, a gallon fluffed is like 1/2 lbs.

taqueso fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Feb 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I glued up the box side of the hinges last night. The hinges still move today and I'm pretty happy about that.