Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

hippynerd posted:

I did some more painting, then worked on my rocker assembly. frustration ensused and I gave up. The previous day I charged up my friends battery (she left her lights on), and I noticed some duct tape in her engine compartment. I asked her about it and she had no idea. So yesterday I looked at her car when I got frustrated with mine.

I figure she took her car somewhere to get worked on, and they busted something, and used duct tape to "fix" it. I pop the hood, and very carefully start to peel back the tape. I start laughing my rear end off which attract my friend with a curious look on her face. I explain that some rear end in a top hat busted the intake hose right at the throttle body. Its busted all the way around with duct tape loosely wrapped around it (not doing anything useful).

I explain about unmetered air, and how that broken hose will make her car run poorly, and get horrible gas mileage, ...

I was able to take the 1/2" bit of hose off the TB, and cram the hose on it and clamp it down good. Its not ideal, but it should work ok.

She starts the car up, and says OH! that light went out. I say, what light, she says that check engine light that has been on for months. :ughh:

She tells me she has another problem, the passenger side door hinge is busted. So I look at it, compare both front doors, and I determine that its missing one bolt that holds the door hinge tensioner to the car. she say OH, well I guess we need to call the dealership or go to a junk yard. I say, well... we could, or we could just dig through my bucket of spare bolts/nuts. The very first bolt I pulled out fit perfectly.

within 1/2 hour, her car was all fixed up. I spend weeks and months working on my car, and her car is all fixed up with 1/2 hour of work :(

What kind of car does she have? The intake boot on my Camry ripped so I just duct taped it. I replaced it once with another used one and it happened again. It didn't happen because I tried to remove the boot, it's probably because of old engine mounts and old lovely rubber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
Oops, wrong What did you do to your ride today thread. I contemplated working on my Buick today, will probably get to it on Tuesday.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
Took off the exhaust yesterday. Who knew a Camry could sound so mean?

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

Drove it for 100 miles just to pass emissions. MA's state inspection for OBD-II vehicles now just requires 4 of the 5 emissions diagnostics to report 'good.' Since I had a piggyback chip on my ECU, it was blocking those diagnostic signals from the reader, so I failed the first test. When I took the chip off, I of course unhooked the battery. But that meant the ECU had 0 recorded miles on it, and not enough info for the diagnostics. So I had to drive past Nashua and back to get 100 miles on the clock. The techs told me 50 mi should be enough, but I've heard 100 elsewhere. Didn't want to take a risk if I was gonna do it in one shot.

I wish we just had the old sniffer tests :(

Screw the sniffers tests. Having to change out my chip for an emissions chip in the Buick was a pain. Now I'm in and out in like 5 minutes. I do finally have an OBDII truck though :\

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
A bit late but I replaced the A/C compressor on my GN. Had to replace the high pressure cut out switch too because I couldn't get the old one out. GG 25 year old piece of plastic. After I filled the system with refrigerant and ran it for a while the high pressure cut out switch blew out, probably because the snap ring wasn't properly secured. Did it all again, seems to be working great. The blower is a little weak but oh well not gonna bother with that. Oh also replaced the accessory belt since it was looked a little old and I had to loosen the intercooler brackets anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
My truck has a long bed so I usually just let the rear tire hit the curb then adjust accordingly.