Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I took off the side emblems of my Volvo 245 to put in side markers. Right now it looks like I am following that terrible porthole fad. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I changed the headlight bulbs in my car today. Took me ten minutes. :downs:

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

FogHelmut posted:

Removed my subwoofer. It would have been cool to have something so obnoxious back in highschool, but now its just obnoxious. It's funny how once you have money to do things, you don't care about those things anymore. It was mostly just a 'see if I could do it' project, built from various eBay parts. I never really secured it in the trunk properly, and it took up too much room anyway. I guess I'll sell it and use the money to upgrade my front speakers since I blew one out.

However, I do still have a power line running to the trunk. I unhooked it from the battery and taped up the ends. Any electrical devices I should install in my trunk?

I'd say if you had the money, get a great sounding sub back there again. Subs really fill out music.

In fact, that's gonna be my project in a few weeks. :ohdear:

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

FogHelmut posted:

It was a 12" sub, and it did really fill out the music and let me feel the music as well, but it took up about 1/4 of the trunk. Maybe something small that would give the music some depth? I don't know. I really prefer the trunk space.

They make compact Goldwood boxes specifically for sedans and they work fairly nicely from what I hear. They're about half the width of normal sub boxes.

TyroneShoes in a/v really has some great suggestions if you give him a budget too.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

ExecuDork posted:

I guess it's time for another run to the junkyard, but I am highly confused - why would the license lamp be missing? :psyduck:

That's probably exactly what the person said before stealing yours!

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

82Daion posted:

I installed power mirrors from another '81 240 to replace the crappy, deglazing manual mirrors that came with my 245. Since the mirrors run off their own harness, incorporating it/them into the existing wiring was as easy as connecting a spade connector to the fuse panel and finding a ground. The worst part of the whole process was removing the front seats so that the wiring harness could run under the front-seat carpeting. All in all, a worthwhile modification, since visibility to the rear is increased, I can adjust both mirrors from the driver's seat, and the passenger mirror holds its position instead of slipping towards the ground at speed.

Are the mirrors the small terrible ones or the better, larger ones?

I've actually come to like the manual mirrors. I'm downgrading sometime this weekend to a newer pair of 88+ manual mirrors I picked up for $40 because I've found them loads more convenient than the power ones in both my current and past car. Less poo poo To Break™. Also, they're almost twice as big as the stock '84 ones.

Then the weekend after that, I'm gonna be ordering transmission mounts and heading to a friend's house who has a usable garage to install them. That will fix the horrible rattling, hopefully.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I replaced a bunch of bulbs in the dash and put new screws in my glove box.

Ironically, the bulb failure warning light was the only burned out bulb I couldn't reach. :saddowns: I have to replace the odometer gear anyway, so the whole unit's coming out eventually...

For tomorrow:

1. Buy resin, fleece, and carpeting for custom kick panels
2. Cut out sponge to keep glove box from shaking on the freeway (still)
3. Buy yards and yards of black felt and take apart every plastic piece in my car to sandwich it between... no more squeaking!
4. Look into sound-dampening entire car's interior + trunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Installed a new intake elbow joint to replace my old worn-out and haphazardly (previous ownerly) cut rubber elbow with god knows how many miles. The new silicon intake elbow was too short so I added a coupler.

Some sawzalling of the old pipe and a few minutes later, I now have more silicon than Michael Jackson's face and more clamps and belts than a Final Fantasy character. What now, bitches?