Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExtremeODD
Jul 16, 2005
Just changed the oil in the 92 volvo 740, it had been 5-6k since the last one so it was long over due. I even dumped 2 quarts through with the plug out to get more of the old crap out, Im sure I just wasted 2 quarts but they had been kicking around in the hatch for a while now. So no loss there, now I just need to find a 960 rad since my car uses that one for some loving reason (would explain 2 places ordering 3 wrong rads). Goddamn car, confuses the hell out of me some times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExtremeODD
Jul 16, 2005
Well I found out that my jb waterweld radiator fix wasnt going to hold long, I had got done driving for drat near an hour and checked the hose. I was leaning close, touched it and it exploded boiling coolant straight into my face. Now the whole left side of my face is pink and hurts like hell. However Ill make my room mate drive me in his bronco he bought today, its a glorious 11mpg hunk of brown.

ExtremeODD
Jul 16, 2005
doublepost

ExtremeODD
Jul 16, 2005
Replaced the 740's hood with blue junkyard one (previous was hosed by a deer hit) now I just need to scrape up 110-130 to get the whole 940 front end from the junk yard (lights, signals, grill, bezel) As a bonus the car gains foglights! Just gotta grab the switch + wiring too.
Also I think the car has a little knock going on, only heard it idling while ice cold but it could of been something else, car runs like hell due to being driven very short distances every day for the past 3-4 months (1 mile to a job and 1 mile back). Oil is a gray color and reeks of gas, exhast is broken at the flange before the cat and the radiator is sorta floating there attached via hoses only. gently caress this car is getting expensive, but I love it so much. Need to sell and buy a turbo brick instead, try to get a 740 wagon with the t5.

ExtremeODD
Jul 16, 2005
Valves were getting a bit noisy so I decided to adjust them. Easy right? 1990 civic d15b1 motor. Every one of them was like way tight so I adjusted the intake to .008 and exhaust to .010. After reassembling everything and snapping off one valve cover stud, it ticks like a loving diesel. I set the pistons to TDC via long rear end screwdriver in the sparkplug hole and rolling it in 5th. (couldnt get cam cover off). Oh well just another oil leak in the works...

ExtremeODD
Jul 16, 2005
Bounced around some land waiting to sell for construction, some nice large dirt hills. Wife got sick but shes been feeling crappy. Itching to try mudding the ram but 1 got no where to mud and 2 no one to pull me out of said mud if I get stuck.

ExtremeODD
Jul 16, 2005

eddiewalker posted:

Missouri wants a front plate too, but I've had a plate and factory-sealed mounting kit under my passenger seat for over two years.

Sticking a plate on the dash is the tackiest thing ever, and apparently you can still get a ticket for "improper display" in some places.

South Dakota is the same way, ended up getting arrested after being pulled over for the front plate (90 honduh civic, plate fell off not trying to be ricer)

Replaced the control arm stays on the 90 volvo 740 today, both front tires would shift back and forth about 2 inches on bumps, stops or anything really. Hell you could grab it and shake the tire easily. The old bushings were approx 1/4 the thickness they should be. Car rides a bit better, now just need to do the timing belt and brakes.

ExtremeODD
Jul 16, 2005
Well been futsing around with my 86 dodge ram w150 4x4 (Powah Ram royal se bitches)

Alternator went out the other day, it would run just not with ANYTHING electrical on at the same time. Driving to work at 5am with no headlights on the freeway was interesting, if I turned them on I would lose spark and turn the truck into a stumbling backfiring machine. It was fun for a few secs to have a backfire switch, now my muffler is all crunched like I backed into something, I wonder if thats related.

Went to the pull it yer self junk yard in search of this mystical alternator only to find they got rid of most of their mid 80s dodge pickups. Ended up having to pull it out of a ram van. This was a pain in the rear end due to the motors being shoved way back, thankfully someone had already removed the dog house allowing somewhat easier access. Got the damned alternator in place, belts on and went to tension up the belts and wait... Why are my belts seemingly too long now?! Had to spend $40 loving dollars on 2 lousy belts, the alternator was only $15!!!! I ended up leaving off the smog pump belt since its a lousy smog pump, gently caress it.

Then I noticed something dripping just under the alt, it was the gas line from the fuel filter. It totally explained why my system would randomly deprime while parked and my horrible (well horrible for the 5.2 v8) fuel economy. $5 worth of hose and hose clamps fixed that little problem. Also tried to take my exhaust off (from the muffler on is only clamped, no welds) to see how she sounds uncorked but I couldnt get the damned muffler to wiggle off the pipe. Everything else came off cept that, so I gave up and reassembled.

Noticed one thing, it appears the left exhaust manifold has a tiny catalytic converter but not the right. Its before the 2 combine into one, rather strange to be honest. If I had access to a welder and a sawzall I would get rid of that unsightly lump in my exhaust system.

Also apparently this trucks power steering only moves one tire, I thought systems were connected to both but Ive never put much thought into it. It moves both via a swaybar looking piece that connects the two. Are all trucks this way?

ExtremeODD fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Aug 2, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExtremeODD
Jul 16, 2005
Replaced some decrepid looking accessory belts and did an oil change that was long over due on my 90 volvo 740. Now I just need to do brakes on all 4 corners and about a million other little things that I cant be arsed to do.