Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Put a hole in the valve cover while commuting to work.

Phone fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Sep 30, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Popped off the valve cover, was greeted by a clearly broken timing belt.

Drinks are on me tonight.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Installed a rear bar on my new Mazda2. That's right, a rear bar on a torsion beam.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I've had it for almost 2 months now and it's been pretty good. I bought it because I desperately needed a daily driver that wasn't giving me issues (see: my Miata).

I've talked about it most in the Fiat thread and said that if I was in the market for a cheap, no frills car to drive, I'd look at the 2. Funny how that works out.

Here's a crosspost from my local car club:

quote:

The dash has a lot of textured plastic, but there aren't miles and miles of it and it isn't postured in an offensive way (see: Ford Focus). The clutch feels good, the steering is spot on, and the brakes are boosted the proper amount. It has no power and is actually slower to 60mph than my Miata, but it doesn't feel slow unless if you're staring at the tach and expecting to feel the non-existent torque throw you somewhat into the back of the seat... it was almost like driving a Honda. The rear seats are easy to get into and there is some leg room for normal sized people.

The car is super engaging and fun to drive. On paper it loses out to a bunch of other cars, but the Mazda2 seriously has passion behind it; other cars in the segment just don't have it. I've been averaging 33mpg mixed highway/city and it's been trouble free so far. If I had to have one complaint about it, it would be the super soft engine mounts that sometimes make me miss a shift; however, people have upgraded to one that is harder and while it makes the shifter engagement more positive, it also vibrates the entire car.

I think you'll see the differences more clearly if you do a back-to-back test drive with other cars in the segment: Fiat 500, Versa, Fit, the Kia one.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I've seen plenty of pictures of Mazda2s tripoding with just a rear sway bar. The Racing Beat one is a 4 U-shaped brackets, 8 bolts, 8 locknuts and resides inside of the torsion beam.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Put HANS tethers on my helmet. Yay.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

azerdude32 posted:

Got my Hankooks today. Props to Tire Rack for the stupid quick shipping!

I got my Dunlops (Star Specs) today! Thanks Federal government for that 500 dollar tire coupon!!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

smax posted:

I put some new spark plugs into my GTI. Everything seems to be running smoothly.

I also took a look at my wife's car (2007 Lexus RX350) to see how easy it'd be to swap the plugs in her car. Jesus christ, Japanese cars are hell to work on. I'll have to take off the entire intake manifold to get to the rear bank, then I'll have to take off the windshield wipers/motors and the rain tray to get enough space to do anything.

Just wait until something breaks, you'll be feeling slightly different about things.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I punched the engine trying to get the coolant overflow line off of the radiator. My knuckle hurts.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Yeah, well my car's working so who's the smart one now?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Less unsprung weight and more tire? What's not to like!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

FatCow posted:

Time for my next project.

What I did to my friend's ride today.

e: gonna pour some soju out

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Mounted my driver side seat in a non-horrifying way.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The car looks like it's been taken care of. Nice find!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Tokico Blues are dogshit and the only modification worth making to them is throwing them in the trash.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Finally changed the oil in the 2. I don't remember when I last did it, probably 12000 miles ago. I'm a bad car owner.

Oil didn't come out as chocolate yoohoo, so I think I'm good. :v:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Fucknag posted:

Depending how hard you drive it (which I believe you have your various Miatae for that) that's probably right in line with the service interval. I'd say you're fine.

The service interval is 5000/7500 miles. I had Blackstone do some analysis and they suggested pushing it up to 10k or so. Just a bit of :effort: on my part.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Timmy Cruise posted:

Bought it!

20013 Mazda2 that a dealer in the next city had sitting around. Probably because it has a manual. Just under 15k with tax which is loving cheap for Canada. Also holy poo poo is it bright red.

First impressions are good handling and shifter feel. God I missed using a clutch. Also averaging 6.4l/100km or 37 USmpg so far :stare:

One of us, one of us, one of us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Last week was unusually good for me working on cars. Finally swapped out the cabin air filter, modified the fan shroud (read: used a dremel) to put a fan back on the Miata, and pulled the motor out of Fatcow's Miata (2.5 hours from the car on the ground to motor out).

Also went for a few bike rides. Feels good, man.