Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timage
Feb 6, 2006
I replaced all the coil packs for my Stagea today with after market splitfire items. These are supposed to be near-invincible so I shouldn't be having any misfire problems for a while. It's a really annoying job though and I've now got bloody hands from all the sharp pointy things on the engine.

I only took photos of the half-way point. As you can see, the last coil is in a really inconvenient place. Blue things = new coil packs.

These coil packs are the only non-standard components in my engine bay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timage
Feb 6, 2006
AI,

I installed a pod filter on my Stagea last Sunday to see what would happen. Not only did the turbo whine increase, my formerly silent bypass-valve now frightens old people when it opens. Thing is, I'm not sure if I like it or not. My inner teenage boy loves it, but my conservative sensible dude feels dirty.

What would you do?

Timage
Feb 6, 2006
Today (and the previous few days) was spent overhauling the sound system in my Stagea. All Pioneer including 7" front splits, 6" rears, Mono-block Amp, 12" Slim-Sub and in-dash GPS head-unit. The main reason for changing anything was that the previous head-unit didn't charge my iPhone. After that I got a little carried away.

Timage
Feb 6, 2006
Bought a second set of rims (from an Evo 9) for my Evo 8. At the moment I have two Toyo R888 semi-slicks and two crappy Neuton street tyres on the Evo 8 rims, and the Evo 9 rims came with some Falken FK452 tyres. The plan is put the Falkens on the Evo 8 rims and get two more R888s for the 9 rims and have them for the track.

Pictured with the Evo 9 rims fitted:

However when I was fitting the Front-Right rim, I noticed something a little off:

Hmmm, that ain't right. Anything else not as it should be while I'm here?

Well poo poo. Now, you're probably thinking I'm an absolute twat who doesn't notice a loud loving rattle when I'm driving. Well, there's always a rattle when I go over any bumps because the exhaust just taps that sway-bar in the last photo. What I didn't know it actually rattled the drat nut off. The rattle wasn't any louder than normal and the car didn't feel any different (although I have only been driving it to and from work and I haven't been driving it hard).

Getting it serviced anyway tomorrow as I'm going to the track in a couple of weeks, so good timing and a lot of luck on my part that the bar didn't come off completely on the highway and hit anything/anyone.

Timage
Feb 6, 2006
In preparation for a new cold air intake for the Evo, I decided to test an old pod filter I had lying around to check how it'll affect sound. I don't want it sounding too ridiculous. This way I can make sure I'm happy with how it sounds without wasting a few hundred dollars first.

The standard airbox setup on the Evos are really good, but can apparently be limiting from 250kw (at the wheels, or 340BHP). With the E85 conversion I'm planning in the next couple of months I'll be making close to 300kw ATW (400+ BHP).

So the old:

And the old sound, recorded with a GoPro2 that you can see mounted at the bottom of the above photo:

Airbox out:

Pipe heading to turbo (will be replaced if I get the kit):

Discovered the original airbox was cracked and repaired by the previous owner:

It was at this point I discovered that the MAS adaptor I had didn't fit, so I had to reassemble everything and drive to the store and buy a new one (middle):

And the new, super-performance DRIFT filter installed:

And I'm leaving the intake duct there to give it some cold air:

And a recording afterwards:

So I'll leave this on for a day and see what I think. The weather has cooled here in Australia (Queensland) so I'm not too worried about intake temps, and I'm not driving too far/hard. The intake kit I'm looking at comes with pipe, adaptor, filter and a decent heat shield, and if I go for it I'll also run some cold-air piping as well.

Timage
Feb 6, 2006
Did some stuff to the Evo.

Cleaned it (although the poor photo doesn't really show it).

Cleaned the second-hand bilsteins that I bought but haven't installed yet.

Installed my new Defi boost gauge.

Lit up.

I've also started ordering new parts. Ordered 1050cc injectors today. Fuel pump and cams to come.

Timage
Feb 6, 2006
Installed black tail lights on my Evo. Much nicer than the chrome ones.

I've also decided to powdercoat my other Enkei rims black after seeing this picture:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timage
Feb 6, 2006
Batman: