Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

ZeeToo posted:

Ninja edit: I always lurk in these threads instead of participating much, so I don't get the Robot Sex avatars. Let's hit on the female Marine, too. :downs:

It is possible that the Avatar Bandito is just an urban myth. Like a forums scapegoat used so that everyone can buy themselves a robot sex avatar. I like my avatar though so I don't want to push my luck.

Also, shame on you ZeeToo! The female marine is in no condition to have her world totally rocked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death By SnuSnu
Jun 7, 2007
Compare your lives to mine and kill yourselves.

Bill Posters posted:

(3)Draw a cave and radio.

The survivors are in no shape to be wandering round the desert looking for other escape pods. Get them set up with shelter and have them try to establish contact with other survivors by radio.

Once they are set, hop on Go-Ship and scout around for other pods. We can cover a lot more ground this way.

Also, don't forget the Nice Rock.

I agree.

edit: Im retarded

Death By SnuSnu fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jun 5, 2009

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Can we somehow ask the marine why would he want us to blow the green thing up?

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?

The Injured Marine posted:

Just do your best to draw a picture of what you want us to do.

Zarimus
Jul 27, 2006

HardDisk posted:

Can we somehow ask the marine why would he want us to blow the green thing up?

It appears to be some sort of automatic force field projector that prevents energy/damage from passing. Thus BIP while inside the field could impact the ground without energy transfer from the ground to little robot, and the grenade's explosion was curtailed at the extent of the field's projection.

Of course, that might be only one of its tricks. Besides that, to our hero it's still just an important device, I don't think BIP's spent too much processing power thinking about it yet. So yeah maybe waving a datapad picture of it in front of the marine will get him to talk about it.

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
Go to the cave and radio, you dont drag seriously wounded people through the desert on a rescue mission.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Spookyelectric posted:

Don't be an idiot.

We haven't learnt either of those words yet.

Zarimus
Jul 27, 2006

Coucho Marx posted:

Don't be an idiot.

We haven't learnt either of those words yet.

You made me laugh at a dick/butt joke, you magnificent bastard.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

Lorak posted:

Recover the Nice Rock, first of all. Any rock with capital letters is vital to our success.

If it weren't for the stuff growing on the ship, and the fear of zombies or worse, I'd say go to the ship, for supplies. As things stand, (1)Draw an escape pod. (Search for more pods) is the best option, followed by (3), especially if we can drop off the survivors in a sheltered location, if we pass a good spot on the way to other pods.

I second this. Head towards the caves and get the wounded some shelter, hopefully finding some pods on the way. Maybe one will have a doctor or a first aid kit/robot. The marine obviously knows why the city is hostile and why the ship went down. Ask him on the way to the caves, helps pass the time.

GrandInquisitor
May 14, 2009
Search for more pods. I don't think the ship is safe, but the pods should be

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Update will come tomorrow first chance I get. Not closing the voting though as I wan't to give people a chance to get caught up.

As for recent news. The CYOA GBS drama has got me worried. I pray that BIP survives the coming CYOA inquisition. A little :smith: at the thought of the thread getting gassed or whatever may come. Maybe too beautiful for this world. I've done well in a weeks time though. No regrets.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
gently caress the haters, CYOA threads are boss

gruvmeister
Dec 28, 2006

Spring has sprung,
The grass has riz,
I wonder where the flowers is
Head for the nearest escape pod. The pods seem to be equipped with medical supplies, whereas a cave will have none. Plus an empty pod will serve as shelter as well, provided the inside isn't painted with blood & body parts. Anyone not too injured to explore can accompany BIP out to explore more afterwards, in search of more survivors and a Captain.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Play posted:

gently caress the haters, CYOA threads are boss
Go (politely) tell that to the people in the 'official' CYOAs suck thread in the suggestion forum ...

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
The haters can die in a fire, this is great fun.

Zarimus posted:

You made me laugh at a dick/butt joke, you magnificent bastard.

Why, thank you.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Until I randomly dropped by QCS today to see what was going on with the "no more Helldump" stuff I'd been hearing about, I didn't realize anyone disliked the CYOA games that much.

It would be a shame to see them stuffed off to somewhere with less "foot traffic".

-Riven-
Jul 19, 2008

EXFOLIATE!
EXFOLIATE!

FRINGE posted:

Go (politely) tell that to the people in the 'official' CYOAs suck thread in the suggestion forum ...

link please.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

-Riven- posted:

link please.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3120736

It's, like, the first thing...

Opposite
Mar 31, 2009

Wait...what?
What is in the scientist's box?

e: excelent effort and character

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Opposite posted:

What is in the scientist's box?

e: excelent effort and character

thank you. I do try.

Away from my computer this weekend, but I'm going to try to update anyway. I've drawn most of the update already (Afraid to admit how much time this actually takes) so

Voting closed until the next update.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

:siren:UPDATE:siren:

A hasty drawing on the data pad revealed BIP's intentions. The marine bent down to study the plan.

BIP had decided to send the humans to safety while he searched other pods for help. It was quite evident that the mushy skin people would not survive an expedition and needed to stay put. Even the marines couldn't hide the physical stress they were under. The marine began to argue but BIP furiously tapped the pad with his little hand. Grudgingly the one armed marine accepted the plan upon BIP's insistence.

BIP approached the female marine with his data pad and showed her an image he had drawn of a city with the words "City Dangerous?" written under it.

She took a quick glance and continued to put parts of her armor on. BIP stood and waited. Eventually she stopped and spoke up.

"The city then? It's dangerous. For us. Probably for you too. The people there are not...quite right." She tapped her temple as she said this.

"Needless to say, this isn't OUR planet. We don't belong here and the people who DO aren't about ready to roll out the red carpet for our arrival. That's all you need to know." BIP nodded and got to work.

He decided on an attempt to heal the humans minor wounds with hug therapy. Hugs were administered to all humans, willing or not.

As BIP was hugging unwilling humans, he spied the rock he had used to draw in the sand. He was strangely compelled to take it with him, as if unseen hands demanded it so. He reached out and received it from its resting place on the ground.
(BIP has obtained Nice Rock)

Before BIP left, the marines approached him as he was mounting his faithful steed Go-Ship, which he could clearly remember naming.

The male marine spoke first. "Before you head out. I don't know what you're going to find, but chances are things are going to be dangerous. Take this." The marine handed BIP two grenades. (BIP received (x2)Grenades)

The female marine spoke next. "If you find anyone else out there, make sure they're from Earth Front. They'll have this insignia somewhere with them if they are." She pointed to the star symbol on her armor. "If they check out, then tell them where we are. Here is the co-ordinates of the area we're heading to." (BIP received Earth Front Tracker)

"That thing will map your route as you travel, as well as display the direction of Earth Front signals. It's a protected channel so don't worry about false readings or being tracked. The map will only display areas you've been so don't rely on it too heavily."

BIP took the EFT and studied it. It was quite easy to operate. It had magnets on the back so he attached it to his side. BIP threw up a salute and grabbed onto his yo-yo reins. With a little kick Go-Ship began to skitter off into the darkness. BIP took out his data pad and jotted down "Yes Help Marine", "City Dangerous" and "Go Doctor" before putting it away.

He continued on for a few hours in the darkness, following a signal to the east.

He was distracted by a noise in the distance. It was mechanical and loud.

It was getting louder.

BIP slowed Go-Ship to a halt and surveyed the darkness, panic eating him away. He wished deeply that he could see what was making the noise.

It got closer and closer until it was all around him. BIP shook in fear and opened an eye.

Suddenly the world lit up and BIP could see. (BIP has discovered night vision)

Oh poo poo oh poo poo oh poo poo. BIP succumbed to panic. What is that thing? It had halted it's advance a few meters in front of BIP as if studying him and his faithful beetle. BIP clutched the string of his yo-yo in disbelief. The Earth Front signal pinged off in the distance, a good ten minuets away. The giant metal creature was blocking the way.

Oh no! What should BIP do?

(1)Attack!
(2)Panic & Run!
(3)Surrender!
(4)Close Eyes!

Edit: You can elaborate on each option with a "How I think he should do it" description and I will take note of good ideas.

Cheap Shot fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Sep 30, 2009

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

Cheap Shot posted:

Oh no! What should BIP do?

(1)Attack!
(2)Panic & Run!
(3)Surrender!
(4)Close Eyes!

If Star Wars has taught me anything...

We have a yo-yo, and it has legs.

Serious vote, would the "run past it, between its legs" plan be viable?

Murvin
Jan 7, 2008
Jet-setter and raconteur

3) Surrender!

And hope to robot God that its a friend.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Lorak posted:

If Star Wars has taught me anything...

We have a yo-yo, and it has legs.

Serious vote, would the "run past it, between its legs" plan be viable?

That would be filed under 2. Good idea though? Who knows. Just to point out though, that yo-yo string is not nearly long enough for a star wars take down. Or strong enough probably.

edit: \/\/\/ maybe one day Lorak. For now, BIP yo-yo's old school.

Cheap Shot fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jun 8, 2009

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

Cheap Shot posted:

That would be filed under 2. Good idea though? Who knows. Just to point out though, that yo-yo string is not nearly long enough for a star wars take down. Or strong enough probably.
Oh. I thought it was made out of high-quality space string.
:smith:

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

In order to optimize robo-cuteness, I vote we (4)Close Eyes!.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Close eyes and play dumb. "Why no officer, I don't know anything. I just press button."

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Plan A: Oh Sweet Jesus, Run! And Panic while we run!

That robot is huge, and chances are it could take out BIP in one laser burst. That said, before fleeing like a small animal (complete with a strategic zig-zagging motion), BIP should make a quick check for the Earth Front logo on the robot somewhere. If it's part of the same organization, BIP should execute Plan B: Surrender. If the robot is friendly, it could go protect the battered marines or help BIP with his mission.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

If anyone is confused as to how I tallied the previous votes, here is the image I was using to mark them all down.

-Riven-
Jul 19, 2008

EXFOLIATE!
EXFOLIATE!
Well, I think this one has to be 4.

Its just in character

Cheap Shot posted:

(4)Close Eyes!

Count Choculitis
Sep 13, 2007

I love you, Shepard. I always have. I want to understand what this is between us... and make it real.

VikingofRock posted:

In order to optimize robo-cuteness, I vote we (4)Close Eyes!.

Agreed, this is the way to do it. Close your eyes and try to look even more adorable, BIP!

abiogenesis
Feb 4, 2009
Run! And panic!

donar
Nov 16, 2008
If this mysterious giant metal creature wanted to attack Bip, it would probably have already done so. If it doesn't seem to be doing much, it must be trying to figure out how to deal with a robot riding a large bug using a yoyo as reigns (as I'm sure I would as well) and there's a possibility that it's from the Earth Front and is having a day much like Bips.
Stare it down and if it starts to do something scary, draw "WARNING, BIP DANGEROUS." on the data pad and hold it up. If it continues doing scary things, shut your eyes.

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Examine it close for any signs of the Earth Front insignia. If you don't see it, Close eyes, Run and Panic! all at once.

Maddot_66
Apr 4, 2007
Take the bomb to C, C Dammit!!

:dukedog:
(3)Surrender

Not in the "have mercy" way either. Attempt communication, it might be one of ours.

STOP MAKING SENSE
Mar 31, 2003

This ain't no foolin' around.
Attack!!!

Well, not really an attack but climb up the hull with your magna-feet and wave hi to the humies inside.

tehlad
Mar 11, 2008

Just another day on the job
(3)Surrender

It seems like their is a cockpit and hopefully a human inside. Make contact!

Alea Minerva
Apr 30, 2009
I have finished the first of the BIP soundtrack songs. I've decided to try and fit multiple updates that occur in the same location in to one song meaning I can a) catch up and b) write more interesting songs. I know this track is a little word heavy but that's just because it's the intro. The next track will feature a lot less dialogue and more music/lasers/explosions/oh god it's going to take so long. Here's track one:

If anyone can think of a better album name than 'BIP Soundtrack' I'm all ears!

SUPER BONUS - Want to be in the next song? Just record the lines "EMERGENCY! LIFE SUPPORT TO DECKS FOUR AND FIVE HAVE BEEN TERMINATED. ALL CREW ON THOSE DECKS EVACUATE TO THE ABOVE AND BELOW DECKS. WE HAVE LOST ACCESS TO THE ENGINE ROOM, PLEASE STAND BY FOR EMERGENCY LANDING! A MARINE TEAM IS HEADING TO THE SOURCE OF THE PROBLEM ON DECK THREE, DO NOT INTERFERE OR INTERRUPT THEIR WORK." in your best angry tannoy announcer voice, send me a PM with a link to the file and I'll include it in the intro to the next song. Record it cleanley though and I'll make it sound tannoy-like afterwards.

Alea Minerva fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jun 13, 2009

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Alea Minerva posted:

I have finished the first of the BIP soundtrack songs.

This is incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
close eyes

...but prepare to use magnafeet if an opportunity for such presents itself. Like if the guy riding the roo-ostrch needs a hug.