Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nut
Jul 30, 2019

I’m gonna get to go to a bookstore tomorrow, does anyone have a suggestion for fiction that benefits from having a physical copy? I have been reading mostly on my kindle during covid and already have house of leaves, raw shark texts, the people of paper, the unfortunates, and S in my physical library. Am gonna fall back on some illustrated mythology after getting jealous of mel’s yokai encyclopedia but I’m very open to alternatives if there is another worthwhile book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
All books are better on paper than on a screen.

I guess if you want something specifically like the ones you mentioned, I'll say A Humument.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

nut posted:

I’m gonna get to go to a bookstore tomorrow, does anyone have a suggestion for fiction that benefits from having a physical copy?

Fahrenheit 451.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

nut posted:

I’m gonna get to go to a bookstore tomorrow, does anyone have a suggestion for fiction that benefits from having a physical copy? I have been reading mostly on my kindle during covid and already have house of leaves, raw shark texts, the people of paper, the unfortunates, and S in my physical library. Am gonna fall back on some illustrated mythology after getting jealous of mel’s yokai encyclopedia but I’m very open to alternatives if there is another worthwhile book

The most obvious answers are meta-fictional works that are essentially impossible to format for Kindle. House of Leaves and Ship of Theseus are two prime examples.

E: oh you mentioned House of Leaves. Ship of Theseus is interesting and much like House of Leaves, one of the first things you have to decide is how you're going to read it. Infinite Jest works too, for similar reasons.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jun 12, 2020

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Seconding this -- I haven't read the whole thing (have only paged through a friend's copy), but it's a gorgeous artifact, if nothing else.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Pale Fire might arguably be better electronically but I find the act of flipping back and forth to be a lot more satisfying than trying to click links.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

nut posted:

Building Stories

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

nut posted:

House of Leaves

e. oh you already have it. I can read good. So I'm going to go with anything in folio format

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

nut posted:

Dictionary of the Khazars and Hopscotch would be really annoying on a kindle I imagine.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

nut posted:

Unsurprisingly, I would like to recommend Dhalgren. The later chapters have a lot of inset text, uneven columns, stuff that probably looks crap on a digital copy, and for meta reasons it’s better to have it as a book. It’s less of a ‘gimmick’ novel than the ones you listed though so not sure if it’s what you’re after. Seconding Pale Fire.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Most Arno Schmidt wouldn't work at all on an ereader, because of weird stuff with columns and so forth.

nut
Jul 30, 2019

thanks everybody, i've got a list and a mask :evilbuddy:

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Anyone have recommendations for novels about cults? I know of The Incendiaries and Palahniuk's Survivor but any others?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

TrixRabbi posted:

Anyone have recommendations for novels about cults? I know of The Incendiaries and Palahniuk's Survivor but any others?

Octavia E. Butler’s Parable series probably counts, right?

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

That looks good and not what I expected. To clarify, I'm down with genre or literary depictions of cults, moreso just trying to find as many different fictional depictions of cults of all sorts as I can.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Racism aside, there are quite a few cults in the Fu Manchu novels.

How about the Illuminatus! trilogy, if the Discordians/Illuminati count?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Selachian posted:

Sax Rohmer's, Seven Footsteps to Satan?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
The Silver Dove, by Andrey Bely.

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

Sham bam bamina! posted:

All books are better on paper than on a screen.

I guess if you want something specifically like the ones you mentioned, I'll say A Humument.

Hell yeah

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Oh, and Dennis Wheatley, like The Devil Rides Out. If you need a Satanic cult, Wheatley is your man.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Ursula K. LeGuin also has a sort of cult/religion in The Left Hand of Darkness. Though it’s quite removed from human, earth cults.

I think The Cabin at the End of the World also depicts some culty behaviours.

In Spin, one of the main characters joins a cult.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Selachian posted:

I gotta reread that soon

e. uh, oh also Helter Skelter maybe?

nut
Jul 30, 2019

I’ve never made it past the first book of Illuminatius but I love that one book and reread it multiple times it’s a gloriously long shitpost

instantrunoffvote
Jul 23, 2007

Foulcault's Pendulum probably counts?

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

These are all great suggestions though The Silver Dove looks the most like what I was aiming for. Also, Illuminatus is def a series I've meant to start for years and this is a good reminder.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Hey dudes. I'm almost finished reading Neal Stephenson's books, and am looking for more hard scifi. In the vein of Stephenson, Weir, Sagan. Doesn't have to be as intense, but something grounded on the edge of reality. Something with clever ideas for tech, politics, or culture.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jun 19, 2020

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

Dominoes posted:

Hey dudes. I'm almost finished reading Neal Stephenson's books, and am looking for more hard scifi. In the vein of Stephenson, Weir, Sagan. Doesn't have to be as intense, but something grounded on the edge of reality. Something with clever ideas for tech, politics, or culture.

I read a book a while back called Infomocracy which might fit the bill. Tbqh I gave it like a B-, but that's what I'd give Snow Crash or Cryptonomicon too, so if you liked those you might like this. It was definitely a diverting read with some fun ideas about the future of politics woven into a story with fairly unbelievable characters that stayed in well-worn roles.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Dominoes posted:

Not sci-fi, but if you liked Stephenson’s Anathem you should check The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Dominoes posted:

I recommend hard sf all the time (and ask for some too) if you check my post history. My go-tos are like, Children of Time, Pushing Ice, Rendezvous with Rama, the Expanse books, stuff like that. Aurora by KSR if you haven’t already.

Recently I really enjoyed A Boy and His Dog at the End of the World, Doggerland, Semiosis (though it’s a riff off of a much better book about sci fi plants that I can’t remember the title of, it was written by a botanist!).

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Dominoes posted:

Hardwired by Walter Jon Williams might fit pretty well.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Dudes. Thank you so much. Bought most of those suggestions; now have backlog. My mom bought me Semiosis a while ago, but I haven't touched it for no good reason. The same happened with SevenEves, which got me into Stephenson, so this is perhaps a sign.

Of note: Stephenson's novels have obvious flaws and areas that could be improved (Characters that are tough to keep track of and somewhat one-sided, women as objects, a bad quasi-villain, and consistent stereotypes of made-up races in Seveneves etc). To me, what he has done right is so good that the net enjoyment from his books is higher than from any other fiction author I've read. I think Diamond Age is my fav, followed by Anathem, but they're all good, and I've read all but ReadMe, Dodo, and the parts of Baroque I haven't gotten to yet.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jun 19, 2020

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Dominoes posted:

Dudes. Thank you so much. Bought most of those suggestions; now have backlog. My mom bought me Semiosis a while ago, but I haven't touched it for no good reason. The same happened with SevenEves, which got me into Stephenson, so this is perhaps a sign.

Of note: Stephenson's novels have obvious flaws and areas that could be improved (Characters that are tough to keep track of and somewhat one-sided, women as objects, a bad quasi-villain, and consistent stereotypes of made-up races in Seveneves etc). To me, what he has done right is so good that the net enjoyment from his books is higher than from any other fiction author I've read. I think Diamond Age is my fav, followed by Anathem, but they're all good, and I've read all but ReadMe, Dodo, and the parts of Baroque I haven't gotten to yet.

yeah despite all of his flaws, i find him so engaging, easy to read, and just fun. i am going to reread cryptonomicon here soon because i read it 15 years ago or so. maybe it will seem new

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Oh man, I forgot about Cryptonomicon. If you liked that, good chance you'll enjoy Gravity's Rainbow too.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Dominoes posted:

Anathem is a good book and I’ll fight anyone who says otherwise. :colbert:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I say otherwise. >:)

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

If anyone browsing would like a preview of Cryptonomicon.

nut
Jul 30, 2019

Dominoes posted:

If anyone browsing would like a preview of Cryptonomicon.

Lol this is good

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Btw, his new one, Fall; or, I almost abandoned it early because it was too normal and grounded in the real world. Boy...

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jun 20, 2020

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Dominoes posted:

Stephen Baxter's NASA series (Voyage, Titan, and Moonseed), or his Xeelee Series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Dominoes posted:

Btw, his new one, Fall; or, I almost abandoned it early because it was too normal and grounded in the real world. Boy...

Yeah I feel like the nuclear strike thing could have been its own novella and that would have been pretty good. But then you get into this loving billionaire worship and like, :stare: