Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise

Looking for recommendations of good, hard sci-if that takes place within our colonized solar system. I read The Expanse series and it was fantastic. Looking for stuff like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

GorfZaplen posted:

I want to read In Search of Lost Time.

yeeeeees

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Aardvark! posted:

Looking for a serial killer detective mystery/thriller. I can't name any reference books other than The Outsider and Mr Mercedes by Stephen King, and I'd prefer non supernatural. I'd love something like the korean detective movies Memoir of a Murderer, Memories Of Murder, etc

Keigo Higashino's Professor Galileo series is good, although I don't remember there being serial killers. For something more King-like, dark-rear end murder mysteries are a Scandinavian cottage industry; check out Jo Nesbo and Henning Mankell.

Books On Tape posted:

Looking for recommendations of good, hard sci-if that takes place within our colonized solar system. I read The Expanse series and it was fantastic. Looking for stuff like this.

Goon favorites Blindsight and Echopraxia by Peter Watts.

tuyop
Sep 14, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Books On Tape posted:

Pushing Ice, Aurora, and 2312 might do it for you. I have lots more to recommend if not!

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.

Does anyone have recommendations on Marcus Aurelius? Either the best translation of his Meditations, or a good biography of him. Or really any other philosopher-king, since I'm more fascinated by the idea of a philosopher leading a nation to war than Aurelius in particular.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

tuyop posted:

Pushing Ice, Aurora, and 2312 might do it for you. I have lots more to recommend if not!

This doesn't seem to fit the 'within the solar system' requirement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 14, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

uXs posted:

This doesn't seem to fit the 'within the solar system' requirement.

Oh poo poo, Aurora is out then but the other two are in the solar system I think!