Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Opopanax posted:

Those both sound good but not sure they're quite what I'm looking for. I'm thinking like post apocalypse stuff, Mad Max/Walking Dead etc, but on a world with wizards or something. I'm reading Last Exit right now and that's probably what put it in my head, stuff like that

you want Who Fears Death by Nnedi Okorafor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

The Fifth Season by NK Jemisin is very very much "wizards in the apocalypse"

Less serious answer: there's a bunch of Adventure Time comics

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

There's a fair amount of post-apocalyptic litRPG stuff. I read about half of Shadow Sun Survival, and it seemed solid. I only stopped because post-apocalye lit isn't really my bag.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Opopanax posted:

Those both sound good but not sure they're quite what I'm looking for. I'm thinking like post apocalypse stuff, Mad Max/Walking Dead etc, but on a world with wizards or something. I'm reading Last Exit right now and that's probably what put it in my head, stuff like that

You might like David Drake's Vettius and His Friends which is an anthology of short stories that aren't post-apocalypse, but might suit your mood. They're basically spooky campfire stories but set in the Roman Empire.
Similarly, the same author's Old Nathan anthology is a collection of short stories about a spooky wizard in the Wild West.

If the aspect of Mad Max you're looking for is a dude going on a revenge binge but with wizards, you will probably enjoy David Gemmell's Druss series, starting with Legend. Each novel is a self-contained story in the same world with some of the same characters, similar to the Conan uh... I'm not sure what the word is for the shared universe Conan stories turned into, but like that, except Gemmell wrote all of the Druss books.

Opopanax posted:

Looking for non-traditional post apocalyptic fiction, stuff like post apocalypse but in an alien or fantasy setting. Anything like that out there?

I wrote these before I saw your second post. Maybe they'll be of interest to someone else.

A lot of David Drake's books are set in a post sci-fi collapse. The Reaches is probably the most relevant and is it covers the colony of Venus clawing it's way back into interstellar trade after a collapse. On second thought, this one is kind of Mad-Maxy in that absolute everyone in the story is a mad, bad, bastard, and the main characters kill their way across the universe.

Black Sun Rising and the other two books in the Coldfire trilogy are post magic apocalpyse. The Human species barely survived the introduction of magic to their world. It's got a very interesting take on magic. The plot is weird enough that I can never remember what it is even though I've read it a couple of times.

All of the Dragonrider's of Pern series are technically post planetary colonization apocalypse. From wikipedia: Humans have colonized the planet Pern in the Rukbat star system, but have lost much of their technology and history (including their origin on Earth) due to periodic onslaughts of Thread, a mycorrhizoid spore that voraciously consumes all organic material, including humans and their crops, given the opportunity. They're aimed at young adults though and while I remember enjoying them in junior high, I haven't been able to get through a whole book since.

When speaking of post-apocalypse wizards, I would be remiss if I didn't mention Glen Cook's The Black Company series starting with the book of the same name. They were reprinted in omnibus editions starting with "The Books of the North"

Post Human is a personal favorite. It is a short story about an AI fighting on after an apocalypse. It does one of the better jobs of showing AI scaling and perspective shifts as the AI progressively becomes less like it's makers.

Uh... and I guess one last suggestion. A light-hearted one this time: Kitty Cat Kill Sat. The title is self-explanatory.

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010
I'm going hiking in the northern parts of Sweden for a week this summer and would like a nice book to read in the tent. Once when hiking I read Jan Guillous Brobyggarna which is a swedish book about three norwegian brothers and their adventures in the beginning of the 1900s. One is building bridges in the norwegian mountains. It was really nice reading about adventures in the snowy mountains when you're around mountains yourself. On another hike I started reading Leviathan Wakes and reading about space wasn't as fitting on a hike.

So I guess I'm looking for anything which will be enhanced by reading it out in the forest in a tent regardless of genre

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Laid Back Camp!

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Into the Wild

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Claeaus posted:

I'm going hiking in the northern parts of Sweden for a week this summer and would like a nice book to read in the tent. Once when hiking I read Jan Guillous Brobyggarna which is a swedish book about three norwegian brothers and their adventures in the beginning of the 1900s. One is building bridges in the norwegian mountains. It was really nice reading about adventures in the snowy mountains when you're around mountains yourself. On another hike I started reading Leviathan Wakes and reading about space wasn't as fitting on a hike.

So I guess I'm looking for anything which will be enhanced by reading it out in the forest in a tent regardless of genre

"A walk in the woods" by Bill Bryson, "Eiger Dreams" by Jon Krakaur, "Touching the Void" by Joe Simpson and anything by Tim Cahill (I recommend "Road Fever", which isn't really about camping but is still great).

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Claeaus posted:

'Trolls' by Stefan Spjut

Lucid Nonsense
Aug 6, 2009

Welcome to the jungle, it gets worse here every day

newts posted:

Don’t know if this will fit what you’re after because it is rather long and convoluted, and not really mindless. To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis was a delightful, fun read. And very sci-fi adjacent, rather than strictly sci-fi.

Currently reading To say nothing of the dog, and others seem to like it as well as you, but it's been a slog for me. It takes pages for the simplest details to get resolved or for a character to get a point across. I've got a few chapters left but I figured out the main plot points about 2/3 of the way through and feel like I'm going crazy waiting for the moronic characters to catch up. Not to mention that Ned sees how incongruities sort themselves out in simulations, but still thinks he has to race around like an ill-informed headless chicken trying to 'fix' things. Even his confusion about what a penwiper was used for was frustrating. He's a trained historian/time-traveller for fucks sake. Unless time-lag turns all of them into blithering idiots the first time they step through the net, these characters should not be mucking with time. Sorry for the rant, glad others enjoyed it.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Lucid Nonsense posted:

Currently reading To say nothing of the dog, and others seem to like it as well as you, but it's been a slog for me. It takes pages for the simplest details to get resolved or for a character to get a point across. I've got a few chapters left but I figured out the main plot points about 2/3 of the way through and feel like I'm going crazy waiting for the moronic characters to catch up. Not to mention that Ned sees how incongruities sort themselves out in simulations, but still thinks he has to race around like an ill-informed headless chicken trying to 'fix' things. Even his confusion about what a penwiper was used for was frustrating. He's a trained historian/time-traveller for fucks sake. Unless time-lag turns all of them into blithering idiots the first time they step through the net, these characters should not be mucking with time. Sorry for the rant, glad others enjoyed it.

Ned is trained for the second World War; so Victorian England isn't really his field at all, and the rules have started changing under his feet so nobody really knows what's going on even if the entire department wasn't effectively punch-drunk, which it is.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Lucid Nonsense posted:

I didn’t read the spoiler but I also couldn’t stand any Connie Willis for similar reasons, so you’re not alone!

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Any books by economists studying people's personal finances?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Opopanax posted:

Looking for non-traditional post apocalyptic fiction, stuff like post apocalypse but in an alien or fantasy setting. Anything like that out there?
Just remembered A. A. Attanasio's Radix, which is set on Earth in the distant future after a devastating beam from a black hole turns it into a post-apocalyptic alien fantasy setting. Maybe a bit too crazy and psychedelic in light of your follow-up post, but it does have the combination of ruin, savagery, and otherworldliness that you seem to be looking for.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
I am looking for a book I could give to a six-year-old (reads at the level of an eight-year-old) son of a friend of mine for his birthday. His parents say "genre of your choice" and I'm veering toward science fiction but I don't have any idea what's out there. I also know children's books can be all over the place in quality. So, just like a fistful of recommendations I can peruse would be good? Thank you in advance.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Doom Mathematic posted:

I am looking for a book I could give to a six-year-old (reads at the level of an eight-year-old) son of a friend of mine for his birthday. His parents say "genre of your choice" and I'm veering toward science fiction but I don't have any idea what's out there. I also know children's books can be all over the place in quality. So, just like a fistful of recommendations I can peruse would be good? Thank you in advance.

Ficciones by Jorge Luis Borges
Invisible Cities by Italo Calvino

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Doom Mathematic posted:

This is the obligatory reminder that everyone should read The Phantom Tollbooth, although I admit it might be a little advanced for an eight-year-old reading level.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Handful of Goosebumps

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
https://medium.com/@hccb/science-fiction-books-kids-7bd2c5a2fd0d seems like a realistic selection

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Doom Mathematic posted:

This is likely a little bit on the advanced side for that age, but might work.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ILKI02Q/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

It is a Sci-Fi retelling of Captains Courageous.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

If a kid likes reading you should get them stuff a little above their reading level. That's the only way they'll get better

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Doom Mathematic posted:

For him to read himself or for his parents to read to him? These might be a bit beyond him for a year or two but somewhere around 8-10 years old in the sci Fi genre I loved The Wonderful Flight to the Mushroom Planet and Fat Men from Space. Amazon says the age range for both is 8-12

Half Magic was around that age too.

Non -sci fi would include the Ramona books and Mrs Piggle Wiggle.

E: these are all books from Gen X and Boomer childhoods. If he's already heavy on screen time they might seem old fashioned to him. But Mrs Piggle Wiggle is great

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jun 11, 2022

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Selachian posted:

This is the obligatory reminder that everyone should read The Phantom Tollbooth, although I admit it might be a little advanced for an eight-year-old reading level.

I literally have a copy of The Phantom Tollbooth, sitting on my dining room table right now ready to give to one of my nieces for her next birthday

I gave her The Complete Brambly Hedge last Christmas and it was the smash hit of the season, so maybe she's not quite ready for Tollbooth yet, but she will be

Also copies of Dinotopia and David Macaulay's Castle and Wil Hugyen's Gnomes (for nephews).

That said we have a dedicated children's book thread that will probably have some good posts and could use a bump :

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933228

regulargonzalez posted:

For him to read himself or for his parents to read to him?

This is an important question, yeah.

But anyway the real answer is The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood, Of Great Renown in Nottinghamshire, by Howard Pyle, which is my favorite book

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jun 11, 2022

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

i've been meaning to reread this and once and future king for a while now

Lewd Mangabey
Jun 2, 2011
"What sort of ape?" asked Stephen.
"A damned ill-conditioned sort of an ape. It had a can of ale at every pot-house on the road, and is reeling drunk. It has been offering itself to Babbington."

Doom Mathematic posted:

D'Aulaires Book of Greek Myths. A timeless classic, and will set the child up later to read everything from Percy Jackson to the Iliad once he's ready. For younger kids, they can mostly look at the cool pictures and read the shorter stories, and older kids can start getting more of the symbolism and themes out of it. There's also a Norse Myths version that is very good as well.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Doom Mathematic posted:

Redwall was a favorite of mine when I was about that age. Google says the reading level of the book is 3rd grade, so if not this year, maybe next year.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Doom Mathematic posted:

Popular series from second grade up at the moment (assuming an advanced reader):
Keeper of the Lost Cities
Ranger's Apprentice
Wolf Girl (might not be available in the states)
Warriors
Dog Man
How to train your Dragon
A sequence of unfortunate events
Bone
Amulet
Diary of a Wimpy Kid
Timmy Failure
The (number) story tree house
My Weird School
Captain Underpants
almost anything by Raina Telegmeier
and your usual Rick Riordan/JK Rowling etc if you can bear it.

For an actual six year old, not the prodigy who will read all that stuff up there:
A nice picture book like "The book with no pictures" or "This is not my hat" or "Don't let the pigeon drive the bus" Edit - My favorite kids book author right now is a German artist called Sebastian Meschenmoser - I recommend his "Mr Squirrel" books, although anything by him is great.

yaffle fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jun 11, 2022

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Doom Mathematic posted:

Please give him the Prydain books by Lloyd Alexander.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
Thank you everybody for all your suggestions! I actually didn't think to ask whether the youngster is reading for himself yet, but I feel pretty comfortable assuming he is. I will work through all of these possibilities and see how it goes.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Pornucopia obviously

(Nobody should ever read (or write or publish) this)

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Doom Mathematic posted:

They might be old enough for The Thief of Always by Clive Barker, his kids book. Despite the author's reputation, it's a fantasy book about a kid going to a house where every part of the day is a holiday, like Halloween and Christmas, and then they slowly realize that the magic house isn't really fulfilling wishes and is actually sinister.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Doom Mathematic posted:

Anything by Jack London or Mark Twain

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

or Madeline L'Engle's Wrinkle in Time or Ursula LeGuin's Earthsea books

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I'd second Mark Twain but I'm not sure how mature an 8 year old is to tackle it on themselves.
Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court is pretty dang fun but also alien without understanding how it's made to poo poo on Camelot's mythos

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
i wouldn't mess with anything other than tom sawyer at that age

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Mysterious Stranger is the right sort of terrifying that will stick with you forever

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Doom Mathematic posted:

Uspenski's "The Little Warranty People"

Maybe Susan Cooper's "The Dark is Rising" series. It has its spoopy moments tho.

"Anything by London" includes stuff that an 8-year-old would definitely not enjoy no matter what.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jun 13, 2022

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Maybe Susan Cooper's "The Dark is Rising" series. It has its spoopy moments tho.
I greatly enjoyed the Dark is Rising and a copy of the series still has a proud place on my bookshelf 20 years later, but the recommended reading level for it is more in the 11-12 years range. I'd maybe recommend holding off on that for a few years.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Scholastic has a number of series in their Branches brand - both graphic novels and chapter books. My 6yo daughter really likes The Last Firehawk series which was recommended to her by our local librarian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Good-Natured Filth posted:

Scholastic has a number of series in their Branches brand - both graphic novels and chapter books. My 6yo daughter really likes The Last Firehawk series which was recommended to her by our local librarian.

Branches are a really good brand, they are all super popular with kids.