Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Lysandus posted:

Looking for some recommendations on post apocalypse type books that are set far after the disaster and civilization is rebuilding. Horizon Forbidden West got me thinking about how much I like hearing about the world developing after some kind of ending event.

I read the Silo series and that was great.

The Earth Abides!!!!!

Also Canticle for Leibowitz.

And the Splatoon games.

But definitely check out The Earth Abides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Lysandus posted:

Looking for some recommendations on post apocalypse type books that are set far after the disaster and civilization is rebuilding. Horizon Forbidden West got me thinking about how much I like hearing about the world developing after some kind of ending event.

Have you read The Stand?

I Am Legend is a great twist on the genre.

More recently:
a boy and his dog at the end of the world is an adventure story set in the near apocalypse.

Station Eleven, of course.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Lysandus posted:

Riddley Walker and Paul O. Williams's Pelbar Cycle come to mind.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Lysandus posted:

One post-apocalyptic story I will never stop recommending is The City, Not Long After by Pat Murphy.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
Best books about Anarchism anyone? Thank ye :)

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Spectral Werewolf posted:

I’m in between books right now and probably going to start Empire of Silence, but I’ve been enjoying House of Ninjas on Netflix, so I’m curious if there are any recommendations for ninja/shinobi sci-fi, fantasy, urban fantasy or whatever. Preferably outside of the graphic novel and YA realms.

The Kensho books by Dennis Schmidt kind of fit the bill, space samurai etc. You said no Graphic novels but Frank Miller's "Ronin" is very good.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Depends on whether you want to read books by anarchists or about them.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Minotaurus Rex posted:

The intro to Direct Struggle Against Capital is a worthwhile read. It’s like 900 pages of Kropotkin after that and I’m not done yet. May never be done.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'

FPyat posted:

Depends on whether you want to read books by anarchists or about them.

Either

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
My Disillusionment in Russia by Emma Goldman was a great read, seeing in detail how she saw and critiqued systems as an anarchist, and the strong thread of compassion that defined her politics.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I need something short to medium length that will grab me and keep me interested. I have DNFed 6 books in the past few weeks and I am in a rut. Bonus points if it's available on Libby in audio form without needing a hold. Actually, that's mandatory because of my neck injury.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

escape artist posted:

I need something short to medium length that will grab me and keep me interested. I have DNFed 6 books in the past few weeks and I am in a rut. Bonus points if it's available on Libby in audio form without needing a hold. Actually, that's mandatory because of my neck injury.

What were the six books you DNF'd and what is one or two books you like?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

escape artist posted:

The entire Horus Heresy series

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Just finished the 3 Body Problem series and I'm looking for more "hard sci fi where characters and plot take a backseat and the cool sci fi concepts/engineering/science are the main star of the show".

I dont mind high concept stuff but I think I get very turned off when things are pulpy/space opera/"fun".

Peter Watts' Starfish and Blindsight series also scratch a similar itch to the 3 Body, I really enjoyed those.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Kvlt! posted:

Just finished the 3 Body Problem series and I'm looking for more "hard sci fi where characters and plot take a backseat and the cool sci fi concepts/engineering/science are the main star of the show".

I dont mind high concept stuff but I think I get very turned off when things are pulpy/space opera/"fun".

Peter Watts' Starfish and Blindsight series also scratch a similar itch to the 3 Body, I really enjoyed those.

You should check out J.G. Ballard's short stories. You can get the complete collection in a single edition or a two book edition. An incredibly creative individual and most of his short stories fit your request. Speculative sci-fi that stays terrestrial, often concentrates on advancing technology or mind-bending stuff.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

You should check out J.G. Ballard's short stories. You can get the complete collection in a single edition or a two book edition. An incredibly creative individual and most of his short stories fit your request. Speculative sci-fi that stays terrestrial, often concentrates on advancing technology or mind-bending stuff.

This looks great and your recs never let me down. Speaking of which, I finished the Remains of the Day which you had reccomended me, amazing book really enjoyed it. Ty!!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Kvlt! posted:

A lot of KSR’s work is actually improved by ignoring the characters! The Mars trilogy (Red Mars, Green Mars, Blue Mars), 2313, Red Moon; all good explorations of SF concepts.

Neal Stephenson is a bit of a bootlicker and writes bootlicking characters and Seveneves is his closest work to what you’re describing. Third act, as always with him, is rough.

Last and First Men by Olaf Stapledon doesn’t even really have characters, it’s a historical narrative of the next many million years and humanity’s biological and technological changes.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Kvlt! posted:

Try Greg Egan. Permutation City, Diaspora and Axiomatic are good examples.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Maybe the BLIT series by David Langford? a cycle of short stories revolving around the idea of images that can crash the human brain. Granted, none of them are that long, but you might find them interesting.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Kvlt! posted:

GREG EGAN

GREG EGAN

GREG EGAN

Best of Greg Egan is a good place to start

also Stephen Baxter especially the Xeelee sequence

Ted Chiang has good characters but his depiction of big sci fi concepts and engineering is second to none

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I love that Greg Egan is seeing some recs. Everything I’ve read by him has stuck with me for a long time and made me want to take some math courses.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Thanks for the recs everyone! Lots of great stuff to work through. Gonna check out some Greg Egan to start!

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"

FPyat posted:

Other than the Bartimaeus books, what's the best YA fiction from around 2000 to 2007? I was obsessively reading Artemis Fowl, Alex Rider, Scott Westerfeld's Uglies, and Mortal Engines back in the day.

How’s Uglies? I had it on my list ages ago but forgot about it.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
The first book is better than the main crop of YA dystopias, I’ve forgotten what reading books two and three was like, and the fourth book anticipated today’s attention economy.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

radlum posted:

How's The Magicians? I see very varied opinions about the books; I watched a handful of episodes of the TV show and I liked it, but I know the books is not exactly the same.
This is about the Grossman novels right? First, they're significantly different than the TV show so seeing the show will not necessarily inform your opinion of the books. The books themselves are kind of a take on Harry Potter (only to the extent that there's a wizard school) and the Narnia books (explored much more deeply) but "what if the people who went through those stories were depressed instead of epic heroes?" I guess you could say that they're deliberately character focused books in a genre that is usually much more plot focused. If that sounds appealing to you you might like them. The closest comparison is the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant but less miserabilist and the characters are less terrible than Covenant himself. If you do decide to engage with them the first is easily the best, I really enjoyed it.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Lord of the Rings audiobook by highbridge
https://highbridgeaudio.com/fellowshipofring.html
It's the best/worst voice cast I ever heard
Elrond sounds like Ed Asner putting on airs right after he's described as a ageless being.
Samwise sounds like smurf

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Can anyone give me some gift ideas for an under-40 year old male that is into birds? Got them What Do Owls Know last year.

Other non-fiction books that they've read and maybe enjoyed I know about:
Longitude - Dava Sobel
Raw Dog - Jamie Loftus
Beasts of the Sea - Iida Turpeinen

Something expedition related might be welcome, especially if it has an interesting hook to it.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Helen MacDonald's written some lauded books concerned with birds, including H is for Hawk and Vesper Flights.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The Warbler Guide by Tom Stephenson

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Alex Horne wrote a book about getting into birdwatching with his dad that might be interesting, esp if they're a fan of British comedy as well (what a venn diagram that is)

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Better Living Through Birding by Christian Cooper. I haven't read it but I think it's very similar to Raw Dog in that it's also a memoir in addition to the birding stuff.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

Can anyone give me some gift ideas for an under-40 year old male that is into birds? Got them What Do Owls Know last year.

The Peregrine.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

I'm in the mood for some good edifying non-fiction about the sciences. Ideally about a topic that isn't terribly depressing (eg, no climate change). I'd even consider a good, well-written textbook. Any recommendations?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Haystack posted:

I'm in the mood for some good edifying non-fiction about the sciences. Ideally about a topic that isn't terribly depressing (eg, no climate change). I'd even consider a good, well-written textbook. Any recommendations?

Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Haystack posted:

I really like Mary Roach and Bill Bryson for this.

The former: Stiff: The Curious Life of Human Cadavers is good https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/56769575

The latter for social science history as well: At Home: A Brief History of Private Life https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7507825 was a bit better than his A Short History of Nearly Everything but they’re both good books.

Getting a bit political and less scientific (microeconomics is not really a science) would be Mine!: how the hidden rules of ownership control our lives. But only because the authors never question the bizarre assumptions and brutal histories of our property and economic models. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/54226795

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Haystack posted:

I just recently read The Rise and Fall of Dinosaurs and it was quite good.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Thanks for the recommendations. I should note, I'm fine with social sciences as well.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Haystack posted:

Thanks for the recommendations. I should note, I'm fine with social sciences as well.

Everything Mark Kurlansky touched is pure gold, his histories of Cod, Salt, 1968… Very enjoyable.
For religion, I like Karen Armstrong and Diarmaid MacCulloch. His history of Christianity is superbly entertaining.
That type of book is usually my go to when I want to relax for half an hour before bed and don’t feel like reading fiction. If that’s what you’re looking for, check out my recommendations.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Anything by Douglas Hofstadter, but Metamagical Themas, his collection of columns from Scientific American, is a great entry point.

Some years ago when I was poor and really hurting for money I took 99% of my books to Half Price Books to sell them. Hofstadter's works were in the 1% I couldn't bear to sell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Okay, thread. You guys really helped me last time, got me to finally jump on Dubliners which was excellent, so I’m gonna try again. (Seriously, Dubliners reminded me how great a book can be, and it really helped reignite my passion for reading.) Here are 5 books in my TBR pile that I intend to read. What should I read first/which do YOU think is the best?

1. The Book of Disquiet by Fernando Pessoa
2. Madame Bovary, Flaubert (Bair translation)
3. Titus Groan, Mervyn Peake
4. City of Quartz, Mike Davis (only nonfic)
5. Roadside Picnic, Strugatskys

I’ll read the first suggestion.