Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I'm looking for a decent book about the Tunguska event. I don't really care for speculations but would like to read about the facts and testimonies relating to the event. Is there a book of that kind out there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

4 Day Weekend posted:

I've always loved reading, but I've never really read the 'classics' or 'staples' until recently. So far I've read Lolita, The Great Gatsby, Life of Pi and To Kill a Mockingbird, plus a couple others. I was just wondering if there's a list or even just some recommendations? Preferably the short ones first, so I can re-read it and analyse all the themes/motifs and symbols.

Some short ones: The Stranger by Albert Camus, Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad, A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce, most of Kafka and so on.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Urdnot Fire posted:

I'd like some accurate military (maybe science) fiction. Battle: Los Angeles was at least somewhat accurate in this regard, so I suppose something similar to that, though it doesn't have to be sci-fi. Mostly looking for well-done military fiction.

Joe Haldeman is a Vietnam veteran and he wrote the acclaimed Forever War based on his own experiences. I am not a military man myself so I can't judge it's accuracy but I liked the novel a lot.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Progressless posted:

I'm looking for books that build on humanities social interaction with aliens (think Mass Effect), and if possible doesn't drone on and on about new space faring technology and such. Any recommendations?

Brin's Uplift series and Iain M. Banks' The Algebraist are both very similar to ME in casting humanity as the newcomers on the galactic scene.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

PonchtheJedi posted:

I have a couple, if anybody can help I'd be very appreciative.

First, I love reading about stuff like 80's computer/hacker culture, nerd pop culture from the 80's (arcades, games, comics, computers, TV, Movies, etc), and stuff like that. Basically most of the stuff that was in Ready Player One, but I'd prefer non-fiction if at all possible. I'm not a programmer or anything, so I'm not interested in tech manuals or overly technical stories, more of just general nerd stuff from that time. Fiction about this time is fine too.

Fire in the Valley, if you'd like to read about young Bill Gates, Steve Jobs and other key players in the industry. It's a fun read about the early days of personal computing. Starts in the 70's, though.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

Alastair Reynolds' Revelation Space series, particularly in book 2, Redemption Ark (and book 3 too, I presume, although I haven't read that one yet).

Well, Chasm City is actually book two in the series. It's also outside the main plot but such an awesome mix of space opera and cyberpunk thriller must be recommended, bioships or not. Go read it you nerds, you'll love it.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

DotyManX posted:

Can anyone recommend a book along the lines of A World Lit Only by Fire ?
I really enjoyed the broad overview of life in the European Middle Ages, especially the fun facts that get left out of high school history classes like Popes eating dinner while watching torture and execution and Martin Luthor claiming to have poo poo fights with the Devil.

The default response would be Tuchman's A Distant Mirror: The Calamitous 14th Century.

Life in a Medieval City by Francis and Joseph Gies is also very good. They also wrote Life in a Medieval Village, but I haven't read it so I don't know whether it's any good.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Woohoo posted:

I'm doing a little reading project "Missed childhood", which consists of reading all the teen/young adult classics, such as Three musketeers, Ivanhoe, Treasure Island, Adventures of Tom Sawyer, Sherlock Holmes and so on.

However, I don't know all the must-read classics, therefore I want to have more to add to the "and so on" here.

I did the same a couple of years ago. Make sure not to miss Wilkie Collins' Moonstone. J. Meade Falkner's Moonfleet is good if you want smugglers. Charles Kingsley's Westeard Ho! is a rather epic tale of Elizabethan era adventure.

e: Kipling's Kim!

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Basic Beater posted:

This might sound like an odd request, but does anyone have any ideas for books that might make me a more interesting dungeon master?

Just interesting fantasy, I guess.

Head over to the Malazan thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3393708

It's a sprawling ten book fantasy series that started as a GURPS campaign. The series is very strong on world building which could interest you, I guess.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Tots posted:

I just got a job that pretty much lets me power through books and I'm not very well read at the moment. I'm trying to get through the "must-reads" now, and stuff that I have an academic interest in. Aside from that though, I'm not sure how to describe it, but I like reading about people. Especially like outcast type people, doing drugs, going to bars, loving off, whatever, and everything else that kind of life entails. This probably sounds retarded, whatever. Book recommendations?

Charles Bukowski. Especially Post Office, Women and Pulp.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

ErrantSystems posted:

Finally, a book where there is a non-human intelligence involved and tension is created due to the fact that it's nearly impossible to predict their actions/motivations. Examples of this off the top of my head would be David from Prometheus or the aliens from Blindsight (specifically in the beginning when they first communicated).

Ian McDonald's River of Gods is a novel that matches your request. I don't want to spoil anything for you so I'll just say it's one of my favorite books of all time.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

based gaddis posted:

While I'm here, looking for some Eastern European fiction. I've been reading some excellent short stories by this Hungarian dude, Geza Csath, and I realized I don't know many other authors from that neck of the woods.

Croatian goon at your service. What kind of fiction are you looking for, new stuff or classics? Any particular subjects?

I am rather knowledgeable about the subject and there is a lot of good stuff coming from the region. If you need another short fiction fix, Bosnian author Miljenko Jergovic wrote Sarajevo Marlboro while his city was under siege during the nineties and I really like the book. It will give you good insight into the Balkan wars of the nineties. Avoid his later stuff, though.

If you want a good horror novel look no further than Borislav Pekic's Rabies. It's a large scope worldwide zombie contagion type of thing, a bit like Stephen King but with good writing. May be hard to find. Pekic is Serbian but he wrote most of his works in London.

Zoran Feric and Vedrana Rudan are probably the best contemporary Croatian authors that you can find translated into English. I'd recommend Renato Baretic‡ as well, but I can't find any proof that his works had been translated. (Full disclosure: I know them all personally. I can't tell you which one I like best. But I will: start with Vedrana. Her prose is pure FYAD.)

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Bawjaws posted:

Just finished Roadside Picnic by Strugatsky brothers, thought it was amazing. I highly recommend.
I'm looking for more sci-fi in a similar vain. Where the focus is more on the human impact of the fictitious evens/event, and how people adapt and deal with it.
Or any other soviet sci-fi that's worth reading.

It's not Soviet, it's Russian, but I think you might like Dmitry Glukhovsky's Metro 2033. Ignore the fact it was made into a videogame. It's a very good post-apocalyptic novel with awesome rambling fantasy bits that only a Russian author can write.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Fog Tripper posted:

Into the third book of the WOOL Omnibus. I chose it simply by amazon reviews. It was at the top of the reviews for SciFi, clicked buy-now to our kindle and off I went.

Interesting read after having just finished Hunger Games.

I'm kind of itching to get it since it's just 5.99 for the omnibus. It's not YA, I hope?

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Captain_Indigo posted:

Thanks for all the help with my previous request - girlfriend is eating her way through a massive pile of new books and says thank you. Now it's my turn.

Can anyone recommend me crime, mystery or thrillers where the enemy is political or widespread corruption. I know I'm going to explain it badly, but essentially think something that starts as a classic murder mystery but quickly escalates so that the protagonist is taking on politicians/organised crime/international targets rather than the victim's friends or family.

I'd also ideally prefer something where the protagonist is ill suited for the work, or massively overwhelmed. I know these books exist, and the trope may even have a name, but a lot of what I can find is pulpy and seems unrealistic in its portrayal. There are books of other genres where this occurs (I know it happens in fantasy a lot - the stable hand rises to topple the corrupt empire or whatever), but I'm looking for something where the method of investigation and the solution are distinctly realistic to our world or one similar to it.

Any ideas?

If you care for alternate history, there are two books that are exactly what you're looking for, Len Deighton's SS-GB and Robert Harris' Fatherland. They are both detective mysteries set in timelines in which the nazis won.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Steiv posted:

I'm looking for funny travel writing. For reference, one of my favorites is Bill Bryson, for his ability to combine humor and history in his writing. I'm not particular about the location, as long as the stories are entertaining, though I am interested in the Arabic-speaking world. Suggestions?

PJ O'Rourke's Holidays in Hell is the funniest travel book of our time, if you don't mind the author being a conservative prick.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Solaron posted:

I just finished Mao's Great Famine - one of the first good non-fiction books I've read in recent history that's not something from Dawkins/Hitchens/etc. It was pretty incredible to read and struggle to comprehend the incredible struggle that China went through in those years, only 50 years ago or so.

To continue my streak of not re-reading sci-fi and fantasy books, does anyone have any recommendations for some good books on historical events like that?

I'm interested in things similar to Mao's Great Famine; WWII would be interesting, books on recent Russian history would be really cool, etc.

If anyone has some good suggestions I'd love them.

Thanks!

The one and only A People's Tragedy: The Russian Revolution 1881-1924 by Orlando Figes. One of the best and most enjoyable works of non-fiction I have ever read.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

WastedJoker posted:

Can anyone recommend books about alien invasion/humans exploring alien artifacts (along the lines of Rama)?

nothing too pulpy.

Peter Watts' Blindsight, Alistair Reynolds' Diamond Dogs. John Varley's Titan, if you like complicated centaur sex.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Walh Hara posted:

Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep?

Phillip K Dick might have written other books about that topic but I'm not familiar enough with his other works.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Variety

The awesome PKD short story that inspired Battlestar Galactica

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

That's a very tenuous supposition, unless it was stated by the creators of that thing you put in tags.

I thought I read that in Ron Moore's BSG Bible a couple of years ago. Hovewer, all I can google right now is a review blasting the show for appropriating Dick's story without attribution.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Kinetica posted:

I'm looking for something to scratch a rather particular itch- Something science fiction with noteable construction and building within the world, shaping it to what people want. Like showing the expansion of shipyards, building of cities and worlds, creation of massive fleets and such.

Or another way to say it- the rise of power and the process in which it was built. I highly doubt that there are any books on that alone, I was looking for something that explored that sort of concept as well as an external story line.

Heck, I'd love some of that in fantasy as well, I find it fascinating for authors showing how their worlds were made. (Somewhat of an example- John Ringo's Troy series, which goes into the development of star systems, defenses and massive constructs.)

One of the story strands in Peter F. Hamilton's massive Commonwealth Saga is exactly what you're looking for.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Christoff posted:

I also love books about the other sides of history in general. Like "Lies my teacher told me." Things that we're led to believe or how things get watered down, the losers side, etc

How deep do you want to go? Adam Tooze's The Wages of Destruction: The Making and Breaking of the Nazi Economy demolishes most of the myths about German economy during the thirties and the forties. It does get a little bit scholarly and you do need a decent grasp of basic economic theory to get through, but it's worth it.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

A Spotless Domain posted:

I love Cyberpunk, and in particular Ghost in the Shell. Other than novelizations and manga, can anyone recommend a novel or a series that delves into similar themes--prosthetic bodies, cynical realpolitik between rival government agencies, futuristic crime, shifting identity, and the existence of a cyber-"soul"? I've already been through most of Gibson, Stephenson, and Dick. I feel like nothing ever comes close to capturing the most interesting aspects of the genre the way GitS/SAC does and I'm not even a huge anime nerd.

Edit: Philip K. Dick is probably the closest to what I'm after, but I've already ready everything he's written twice. :(

Richard Morgan's Takeshi Kovacs novels, especially the first one, Altered Carbon.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

A Spotless Domain posted:

Big "thank you" to whoever recommended Altered Carbon! I read it over the weekend and loved it. I assume the rest of the Kovacs books are pretty much up my alley then?

If you're looking for more cyberpunk noir, not really. The second one is a weird Indiana Jones in space type of thing, the third one is all out space mercenary action, as far as I can recall.

Maybe you should try Alistair Reynold's Chasm City. It takes place in his Revelation Space universe, but it works rather well as a stand-alone novel. The badass main character and the overall noirish plot have a lot in common with Altered Carbon.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Illegal Move posted:

Could somebody suggest some books about tomb raiders or treasure hunters? Something in the vein of Indiana Jones or Uncharted?

Haggard's King Solomon's Mines is the archetypal treasure hunter story. I think it's in the public domain and available on Gutenberg.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

hybriseris posted:

I'm not necessarily looking for non-fiction recommendations or even books about murder - I'd really just like some meaty, disturbing, visceral reads about anything that leaves me closing the cover and feeling like I just looked at something I shouldn't have.

Littell's The Kindly Ones. It's a novel about an SS officer. He joins something called Einsatzgruppe and goes to the Eastern front. In Lviv he helps move all the town's Jews to a nearby ravine. Then we find out the ravine is known locally as Babi Yar. Then it starts getting really disturbing.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

specklebang posted:

You're welcome. There is also this very high tech SF book that is central to an imminent and unstoppable apocalypse. http://www.amazon.com/Final-Days-ebook/dp/B005BOHZ76/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380001507&sr=8-1&keywords=final+days+gibson. The sequel, The Thousand Emperors is already published.

I want to thank you for this one, finally something in the genre that doesn't insult my intelligence that isn't by Reynolds or Banks.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

artichoke posted:

I'm currently looking for books - fiction or non - about the Yugoslav wars. I knew many refugees growing up because they fled to places in the Midwest where the Catholic Church had set up havens for them. My high school had a ton of these folks, but most of them didn't really talk about what they'd left behind. So anything about the refugees, or the politics of the territories over there, or really anything that's well-written would be great.

Laura Silber's The Death of Yugoslavia is, I think, still the best and most accessible overall view on the Yugoslav wars. It is also available as a BBC TV series.

Tim Judah wrote a few pretty decent books about the latter phase of conflict between Serbia and Kosovo. I also liked Marcus Tanner's Croatia: A Nation Forged in War. It's more of a general history of Croatia with a focus on the war.

For fiction I would recommend Jergovic's Sarajevo Marlboro. It's a short story collection about the siege of Sarajevo that kind of captures the spirit of the whole affair.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

WastedJoker posted:

Thanks - I've read some and others turned me off reading the blurb but I'll give Blindsight a go and Shogun (if I can avoid seeing the main character as Tom Cruise).

Don't worry, he's actually Richard Chamberlain.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

SylvainMustach posted:

I just finished re-reading Dune and finished Dune Messiah for the first time. I've also just started Children of Dune and have the rest of Herbert's sequels.

Beyond this and the Martian Chronicles, I've never been a huge sci-fi fan.

I'm looking for some recommendations along the lines of Dune (I especially enjoy the religious aspects of the series).

I'm sure someone posted something like this before but I haven't seen it yet.

Dan Simmons' Hyperion Cantos is a four book space opera with tons of cool religions, prophecies, secretive monastic orders and messiahs. The quality does plummet towards the end, so it's similar to Dune in that aspect as well.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

WastedJoker posted:

I just finished Ancillary Justice by Anne Leckie and very much enjoyed it even if it took some getting used to the fact the main character, at times, was a single "consciousness" spread throughout a great number of "individuals".

I've read all of Iain M Banks, Alastair Reynolds, and Peter F Hamilton but I'm wondering if there are any other good novels which deal with advanced humanity, AI and political/alien intrigue?

You should probably check out Robert J. Sawyer, although his stuff sometimes feels like it should've been cut off at novella length. The best AI themed novel, in my opinion, is Ian McDonald's River of Gods, although it's more cyberpunk than the type of sci-fi you're looking for.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I'm looking for a good modern history of Iran, something encompassing the 1953 coup, the Islamic Revolution and the Iran-Iraq war. Specific books on the said subjects would also be welcome.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Thank you guys, these will keep me busy for a while.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

barkingclam posted:

I enjoyed Shah of Shahs by Ryszard Kapuscinski, but it stops short of the Iran/Iraq war.

I finished this last night. If you're going to read one non-fiction book in your life, try this one. Seriously. It's the kind of book that haunts your mind throughout your daily life. Beautiful writing. I learned so much about Iran from just a few hundred pages. Thank you for the recommendation!

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

mdemone posted:

Every one of my computers will forever be named Abulafia and I don't care if it's stupid and no one gets it (nobody ever has).

DO YOU HAVE THE PASSWORD?

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Evelyn Nesbit posted:

Books about cults, preferably well-written?

Lawrence Wright's Going Clear. It's recent, tremendously well researched and interesting. It deals with Scientology as a cult, its relation with Hollywood as well as Hubbard's personal life.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

massive spider posted:

The nazis, or at least the people who were somewhat complicit.

Jonathan Littell's The Kindly Ones. It's a fictional SS officer's memoir. The novel tends to veer into fantastical territory later on, but the first half might be just what you're looking for.

Babi Yar

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I am looking for a noir or detective novel set in LA, preferably during the forties and fifties. I've already read The Big Sleep and the LA Quartet.

Take the plunge! Okay! fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 30, 2014

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Thans for all the detective recommendations. Exactly what I was looking for. I'll probably start with Lew Archer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

nomadologique posted:

Looking for a book that involves the sea in some way. Can be more or less important, but should play a reasonably large role. Contemporary-ish (last 50 years or so). Not Old Man and the Sea.

Thanks a lot folks.

Does modern weird fantasy work for you? China Mieville's Scar is really good and it's all about the sea in that book.