Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I need recommendations for a really awful topic.

I've been interested in Japan's war crimes during WWII, and about North Korea and the DPRK.

I've read The Sea and Poison by Shusaku Endo, and I'm currently reading the Aquariums of Pyongyang by Chol-hwan Kang. I enjoyed both of these books and would love to read more things like it.

I'd recommend them, also, to anyone interested in similar subjects :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

dokmo posted:

In any case, that book led me to "The Good Man of Nanking: The Diaries of John Rabe" which "contains the diaries that Rabe kept during the Nanking Massacre, writing from his personal experience and observation of the events that took place". Here is a review of that book and outlines some of the controversies surrounding it and the event itself.

Oh, I remember reading about that, but I forgot. Thank you for the recommendations :) I figured most of them would be about the Rape of Nanking anyways, but I'm down with that.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I know someone asked before about books on the French Revolution, but I'm going to ask again. I was looking for books more about the events leading up to it, but nothing too textbook-y.

I know absolutely nothing about the French Revolution, but I want to learn, so that's a start.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

blue squares posted:

And of course a Tale of Two Cities

I just got a kindle, so I guess the best time to read that is now!

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Ok I have a list of things I'm looking for recommendations for:

• Japanese internment in America
  • Communist China
  • Jewish History, not really interested in the Holocaust.

Thanks

Shnooks fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Oct 20, 2011

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Radio! posted:

What parts specifically? If you're interested in ancient Judaism, I recommend Early Judaism by Martin S. Jaffee. It's a basic overview of the development of what we know as Judaism now. The Judaism professor at my school uses this book to introduce the overall concepts/history of the religion, so there shouldn't be any major issues with it.

That's pretty good! I guess I didn't think about how long Jewish history actually is...

Perhaps Pre-WWII and older? I'm really open to anything.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Anyone have any recommendations for books about life during the Cultural Revolution in China? I think I have the history books covered, but I love reading things that are more personal, such as the book Nothing to Envy.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

barkingclam posted:

Have you read Jung Chang's Wild Swans? It covers a little more than just the Cultural Revolution, but it might fit the bill. Her biography of Mao Tse-tung is good, too.

I haven't but I've been recommended it several times. I guess I should read that next!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I've always been really into contemporary Japanese literature and I'm starting to get into some Chinese authors, but I want to expand to other parts of Asia.

Any good books, either fiction or non-fiction, on Tibet or South East Asia?