Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Perhaps too wide a net to cast, but if I enjoyed Harry Potter and Narnia, and want to read more fantastical adventures spanning multiple books, is there something I should keep an eye out for?

I have already read the Northern Lights trilogy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Lloyd Alexander's Chronicles of Prydain would be a good next step.

Thank you, this seems to fit the bill precisely. Although I suppose it's missing that element of discovering an unknown world that Harry Potter and Narnia had in droves?

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I'm not religious in the slightest, but I like the whole mythology behind angels and demons, especially when they battle.

Are there any modern novels set in heaven? I remember that I tried to read Paradise Lost years ago and the verse put me off, so I was looking for some regular fiction.

If there aren't any novels set in heaven, then novels featuring extensive contact with angels might sate my appetite as well.

I have read the His Dark Materials trilogy (Northern Lights etc.), so those are out.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

derkaiser posted:

Stephen Brust's To Reign in Hell is a fantasy retelling of Lucifer's fall (the title even is a quote taken from Paradise Lost).

Thanks. This looks right up the alley that I assume is mine.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I find the idea of successfully eradicating corruption in a complex system (Government, for example) alluring, perhaps because it's likely never to happen in reality.

Are there any fiction books that focus on this, preferably non-violently? I don't want people eradicating corruption simply by killing the corrupt.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I recently re-watched Thank You For Smoking, and I'm hankering after stories where the protagonist is very smooth and able to convince people of anything.

I suspect people might think of James Bond, but I've already read most of the Bond books, and the others are lined up.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

The Bond and Fletch books both feature a wildly capable protagonist.

I'd love some more recommendations on that front. A bit of a general request, I know.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Flaggy posted:

No joke.

That's not a novelization that's a... gameization.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I bought my father a book a while ago which was a collection of stories from the front lines, but I can't remember if it was World War 1 or 2.

It was written by a famous journalist, I believe? He interviewed the soldiers and compiled their stories.

It's quite an old book.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

barkingclam posted:

Was it Stud Terkel's The Good War? That's about the second world war, but it's still a good read.

It was indeed - thought it might be about the first world war, and make a good recommendation, since he enjoyed it, but no dice.

Thanks, though!

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I'm nearly done with all of the Fletch books.

I'm on the 10th book now, and after the 11th book I'll be finished.

I worry that I'm going to be in sarcastic withdrawal mode once there are no more books to read.

Can anyone recommend some books where the main character is a sarcastic but loveable rear end in a top hat who gets things done?

Edit: On the off-chance that it's brought up: I've tried the Dresden Files. Couldn't get into it.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Why didn't you like Dresden Files? Many find it picks up dramatically with the third book.

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll check out the first novel from each series.

I admittedly had the flu while I read the first Dresden Files book, and that tends to warp your perspective of books, but I distinctly remember thinking "I can't continue to read this, because of X". I just can't remember what "X" was :(

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I’m looking for novels with very competent protagonists who can do no wrong. Some examples:

Jack Reacher
The Kingkiller Chronicles
Travis McGee
Sherlock Holmes
Fletch

I’m not sure if Jack Reacher is considered well-written, but all of the similar “ex-military badass” books that I’ve tried have been absolutely terrible, so I’ll make clear that I’m looking for competent writers.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Thanks all. To be clear “does no wrong” was an ambiguous way of saying “does everything well”. I’m very happy with characters who have loose morals. More suggestions always welcome - I’ll check these out.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Magnetic North posted:

I've never read them, but the description kinda makes me think "Bond". Anyone know if those are any good? I'm certain they are problematic as hell, I just mean as far as the writing.

Rampant sexism aside, I think the Bond books are very well written.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I've just finished the Demon Princes series by Jack Vance and I'm after more of the same, in this sense:

1. Science fiction
2. Very competent protagonist who can do anything and never really gets into trouble
3. Adventure/solving problems

Any suggestions?

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Looking for more recommendations of books/series with extremely competent, everything-goes-right protagonists. Ideally well written. Use the list below to judge what I mean when I say that.

Books I've tried and liked
Jack Reacher
Andy Weir's Hail Mary and The Martian
Sherlock Holmes
John Rain
Jack Vance's Demon Princes
Miles Vorkosigan
Richard Stark's Parker
The Name of the Wind
John D. Macdonald's Travis McGee
Frederick Forsythe
Gentleman Bastard

Books I've yet to try
Spenser

Books I've tried that didn't grab me
Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser
Stainless Steel Rat
Greg Rucka's Atticus Kodiak

ahobday fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Jun 19, 2021

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Thanks all. It turns out I've read some of these and forgot so I'll add them to my original post.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Did someone recommend Erle Stanley Gardner yet? Maybe not "everything" goes right but the stories are basically about running circles around the opposition, and if it fails, running with it failing and still winning. (Not the ones originally published under the name A.A. Fair; Donald Lam gets slapped around a lot before setting things right.)

e: Also it's been a decade since I last read them so I might be very wrong on this but possibly Joe Lansdale's Hap & Leonard books? I remember them being pretty invincible. Maybe someone else can comment on whether or not I remember right at all.

Thanks for these. On Erle Stanley Gardner, you mentioned his character Donald Lam, but are you recommending any of his books/series? And is there an easy way to find out which books were published under the early pseudonym? He's written a lot of books so I'm having trouble figuring out where to start.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

A while ago I finished reading all of the Frederick Forysth books. This is what I like about them:

They're thoroughly researched and technically very detailed
They move along quickly
They're well written
They're generally about tense or exciting situations

Anyone got a recommendation for similar books? Preferably about reality rather than science-fiction or fantasy.

I tried Tom Clancy but I gave up on The Hunt for Red October because his character spent pages pages and pages thinking about his backstory and deeper motivations.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I just watched the film Miss Sloane, which is about a lobbyist who fights for gun control in Washington DC. It's political and fast paced. Nothing awful happens, like a murder of a main character, to shake up the story. It stays focused on lobbying. Are there any good books I should read along similar lines? Well-written political manoeuvring?

Bonus points for suggestions other than John Grisham, which I've read plenty of but will go back to if there aren't any other well-written books around about the same topic.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Usually I ask for more specific recommendations but this time I'm going to ask a broad question and see what falls out:

What would you recommend if I want a well-written power fantasy?

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I'm coming to the end of the Vorkosigan saga by Lois McMaster Bujold, and I'd like more of it (sci-fi, to be clear). But I don't really know how to describe what I like about it.

Probably that it's so focused on fun characters. And interesting stuff happens. It's got decent world-building. But I don't find the books slow. The action happens at a decent pace.

Something I've seen recommended but haven't tried yet is the Honor Harrington series. Are those similar to Vorkosigan in the ways I've mentioned?

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I'm looking for science fiction that has good moment-to-moment space battles.

Some examples:

Surface detail, from the Culture series, where a particularly high-end battle ship fights several enemy ships at once and narrates the whole thing.
A scene from Andor, the Star Wars TV show, where a ship is caught in a tractor beam and the pilot calmly takes steps to get himself out of the tractor beam, and away.
Leviathan Wakes, from the Expanse series, where a battleship is attacked by several smaller ships and characters are surprised that the battle has gone on for as long as it has.

Basically these scenes are not too flashy, but detailed, and well-told, and I'd like more of that in science fiction books, please.

Edit: In case it comes up, I've read Scott Westerfeld's The Risen Empire. It has a lot of detailed ship to ship combat in it, so I thought someone might mention it.

ahobday fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Does anyone have any recommendations for books about a person who takes over as the ruler of a place, and does a good job? I don't really mind if it's historical, fantasy, science fiction, or any other genre, but I'd prefer it be a fictional story.

"Place" could be a country, a city, a space station, an army, whatever. But I think it'll be satisfying to read about someone getting something into good working order, along with any political savviness they have to use to make it happen.