Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RaoulDuke
May 6, 2007

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all.
I really liked the Illuminatus! trilogy and am looking for something in the same vain. I would love to read another of Robert anton wilson's books, but I dont know if they're any good or if so which one. Any advice on Wilson books or some other trashy yet slightly intellectual sci-fi conspiracy etc. etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaoulDuke
May 6, 2007

Trying to find something about effects of internet and technology on the brain, how they shape culture etc. Books I looked into were The Shallows: What the Internet Is Doing to Our Brains by Nicholas Carr, and Alone Together: Why We Expect More from Technology and Less from Each Other by Sherry Turkle. From the descriptions both seem to learn towards the, computers are making us dumb and lonely, side of the spectrum, which, while I don't disagree with entirely don't really want to a read a whole book about. Leaning more towards the technology is here to stay and I'm curious what happens going forwards I am more interested in less opinionated works on the subject, but if anyone has read either of the two or something similar and thinks them worth reading let me know as well.

RaoulDuke
May 6, 2007

dream owl posted:

While I don't think you're going to find "less opinionated" authors on this subject you can certainly seek out the more willingly exploratory. New York Times techie columnist Nick Bilton wrote a book last year called I Live in the Future & Here's How It Works: Why Your World, Work, and Brain Are Being Creatively Disrupted. Also Cognitive Surplus: Creativity and Generosity in a Connected Age by Clay Shirky & just for interests sake I'll mention Oliver Sacks, although he's more on the "brain" side of things than the is the technologic.

The Bilton book sounds awesome, thanks alot. Oliver Sacks is great.