Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

timothyreal
Aug 13, 2007
And, above all, as the chance juxtaposition of a sewing machine and an umbrella on a dissecting table!

timeandtide posted:

Still looking for recommendations on Western fiction/non-fiction, but I had a question that fits this thread: where does the line "America is not a young lad" come from? I vaguely remember it from a thread here, and I want to say it's from either Ballard or Burroughs.

"America is not a young land: it is old and dirty and evil before the settlers, before the Indians. The evil is there waiting."

Naked Lunch, William S. Burroughs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timothyreal
Aug 13, 2007
And, above all, as the chance juxtaposition of a sewing machine and an umbrella on a dissecting table!
Anybody know a good book about Gamelan? I'm just an interested layman, but most of the stuff on Amazon seems to be expensive textbooks. I don't want anything technical; maybe something describing the history, regional styles, and a bit of theory on the music. The closest I've ever gotten is a book on Javanese shadowplays I found used.

timothyreal
Aug 13, 2007
This may sound a bit broad, but can someone recommend me any books about the history of the Middle East and North Africa before European imperialism (from ancient times to before the 19th century, I guess.) It's a region and era I didn't learn much about in school, so I'm curious to learn more.