Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Hey, I'm looking for some good literature that takes place in early-mid 18th century England, preferably London. Anything replete with social commentary is ideal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
I feel kind of like a jerk asking this with a scary book request a mere three posts above, and this sounds kinda lame anyway, but I'm hoping someone could recommend a book that's similarly scary to the Candle Cove story (http://www.ichorfalls.com/2009/03/15/candle-cove/). I wish I could be more specific about what it was that I liked about it besides that it creeped the poo poo out of me like crazy. I think I'll check out the above-mentioned Blindsight, but any other recommendations would be cool.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Got two recommendations to ask: 1) history of Cuban military during the Cold War, and 2) 80s sci-fi with time travel.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Looking for two types of books: Cyberpunk detective fiction (like Altered Carbon) and espionage fantasy. Any suggestions?

Give The City and the City by China Mieville a try. Not cyberpunk but it's a very good sci-fi detective novel.

Paper Clip Death posted:

Books focused on or set around a large building project. For example, Paris in the late 1800's, when they basically demolished everything and then rebuilt the city according to Haussmann's plans. Doesn't necessarily have to be city-scale. Can be fiction or non-fiction - fantasy or sci-fi even.

The Sarantine Mosaic by Guy Gavriel Kay.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Looking to read a novel or something shorter that focuses on a lone traveler wandering through the Old West during Manifest Destiny. Already read Blood Meridian, and not necessarily looking for something like it.

Carly Gay Dead Son fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Mar 18, 2016

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Hold up, gonna make my already specific request ridiculously more specific: It should deal directly with gender/race politics of the time. Thanks fam.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Borneo Jimmy posted:

Thar encompasses a large chunk of the western genre itself. So Wild A Dream by Win Blevins is good if you want something that isn't like Blood Meridian.

Borneo Jimmy posted:

Thar encompasses a large chunk of the western genre itself. So Wild A Dream by Win Blevins is good if you want something that isn't like Blood Meridian.

I'll check both of these out if I can find them, cheers!

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Quandary posted:

What's the best book people have read to give a good background and understanding of the Vietnam war? Particularly interested in how it impacted the vietnamese people, so if it was from that perspective it would be even better.

While it doesn't really go into great historical detail about the war itself, and is mostly set in Louisiana, A Good Scent From A Strange Mountain by Robert Olen Butler is a collection of short stories entirely from the Vietnamese perspective. It's one of my favorite books.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Going over what I've read in the last year so thought I would chime in with what I found most enjoyable

It's even Worse than it Appears by Thomas Mann and Norman Ornstein - Thoughtful look at how modern American political dysfunction came to be and how we're likely hosed for the foreseeable future.

Nixonland by Rick Perlstein - Nothing I can say others haven't said better. The 60s were craaaaaaaazzzzy man and if you didn't live it you should probably read this.

Tigana by Guy Gaveriel Kay - Great prose composing an intelligent narrative is rare enough in fantasy that you're going to want to settle in for this large read if you've any inclinations toward the genre.

Aquarium by David Vann - Flawed novel about...being a person. Seriously valuable story that has something to say to everyone about why being human hurts so loving bad.

I'm adding all of these to my list except Tigana, which I've read, and I recommend you read Kay's The Lions of Al-Rassan and The Sarantine Mosaic, which are even better.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
I'm just off a two-month long James Ellroy binge. I want to read some more noir but something less ghoulish. I've got Dashiell Hammett, Raymond Chandler, and Elmore Leonard on my list. Any others I should add?

Separate request: Book (or books) primarily set in a city during a major blackout, as modern as possible. Could be speculative (but nothing sci-fi) or historical.

Carly Gay Dead Son fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Nov 4, 2016

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Any recommendations for books about apocalyptic/cataclysmic events? Like, for example, a giant blackout. Preferably in an urban setting and with minimal if any sci-fi/fantasy elements.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Hughmoris posted:

Could someone recommend me some books on aging heroes? Where the old badass comes out of retirement for one more job. It can be fiction/mystery/fantasy etc...

Nothing Lasts Forever by Roderick Thorpe, the book Die Hard was based on. The John McClain character is like 60-something years old.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
I'm looking to read a book about Sicily during WWII. Or any history book about Sicily that has a good WW2 section.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Looking for books about early 20th century Sicilian history.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Any recommended translations for the Tibetan Book of the Dead?

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Other than The Man in the High Castle, what's a good "nazis win ww2" alternate history? Doesn't have to be a novel.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

learnincurve posted:

I had to do a lot of scrolling on my goodreads list because I couldn’t remember the name.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18498351-the-invasion-of-1950

The invasion of 1950 by Christopher G. Nuttall

The year is 1950, but not the 1950 we know. The Second World War ended in 1943. Hitler never declared war on the United States and is currently master of an empire that stretches from the Atlantic coastline of France to the Ural Mountains in Russia. Hundreds of millions are dead or enslaved as Hitler’s followers make his dreams real, but the Fuhrer is still not satisfied.

Sounds interesting. Just curious, how far past 1950 does the narrative progress?

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

TommyGun85 posted:

I'm looking for a large / long book series where standalone novels form a part of a connected universe. Discworld is a good example although it doesnt have to be (preferably not) that genre. Speculative science fiction is good and also not interested in any fanfiction or crossover stuff, for example, set in the star wars, star trek, mcu, lotr universes.

Might be a tall order, but any suggestions?

James Ellroy's LA Quartet followed by his USA Underworld series.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Seeking recommendations for books about the lovely dickheadedness of entrepreneurship. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Non-fiction!!

Carly Gay Dead Son fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Feb 9, 2020

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

csidle posted:

I'm looking for recommendations for a couple of books for some reading times ahead. I'm interested in books in the western genre, inspired by a recent bout of playing Red Dead Redemption 2. I'm a big fan of Blood Meridian, the Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, literature about the Donner Party, etc. It doesn't necessarily have to be fiction, although I primarily am looking for fiction, as I've enjoyed reading the historical sources behind Blood Meridian.

I just started Pekka Hamalainen's book on The Comanche Empire and it's pretty fascinating.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Any recommendations for books about 19th century working class scotland? Fiction or non.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Can’t remember if I’ve asked this before but does anyone have recs for books set in or about 19th working class scotland? Fic or non fic.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Looking for something like Jane Austen, i.e something centered on women in the 19th c. anglophone world, with a focus on the working class rather than the landed gentry.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Eason the Fifth posted:

Summer by Edith Wharton might be a little of what you're looking for, though it's a) sort of a deep cut and b) also an odd one, given that a lot of her other work is about navigating upper class NYC.

I might be off base, though; I haven't read any Wharton since grad school back in 2011, and the class was so existentially painful due to length and professor that I spent my evenings afterwards getting drunk out of my knickers to forget.

Sounds like just the thing! Thanks pal.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

cosmin posted:

Later edit: didn’t Stephenson had a book centered on linguistics or intepreting an old language? I’d like something like that but I can’t find it

Anathem?

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Good books about the cultural influence and inner workings of Disney over the years?

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Selachian posted:

Some of it, yeah. There's also parts discussing other ways Disney influences culture, though -- like how 101 Dalmatians makes people rush out to get Dalmatian puppies for their kids, and then abandon them when they discover that real Dalmatians require quite a bit of work to train properly.

Lol this seems like kind of a cheap shot to take at disney. But gently caress em. I'll check it out. My mom was reading some Hiaasen early in quarantine and it had her howling.

Franchescanado posted:

DisneyWar by James B. Stewart is the big one that I know of.

I'll check this one out for sure. Thanks.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Death By The Blues posted:

Greetings!

If anyone could kindly help me out that would be greatly appreciated, looking for the following suggestions:

underappreciated, under read books in the vein of Lovecraft/Rosemarys Baby/House of Leaves/Occult or Pagan/Summer of Night.

Non fiction history books on 18th century Europe

Books on the slave trade

Feminist literature.

Thank you so much and have a great weekend.

Mason & Dixon might cover all these bases.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
I finally want to start getting good at reading Italian. My comprehension is, at this point, elementary at best. What are some good Italian books for kids/dullards?

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

The DPRK posted:

I'm looking for something that is like Game of Thrones, particularly the political intrigue, but with a smaller world (so fewer characters and motivations to keep in mind). Not too fussed about wars and battles, but happy for it to be totally high fantasy.

Essentially what I'm looking for is a book with Tywin Lannister as the main character haha

Wolf Hall might be just the thing, though Cromwell is a bit more of a Littlefinger than a Tywin, and far more sympathetic than either.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Retro Futurist posted:

Looking to learn more about chinese mythology, but I'd like to stick to fiction, ie telling a story in that world vs a dry breakdown of it if that makes sense.

Journey to the West perhaps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Gripweed posted:

Is there a good single volume history of Germany?

Urs Allemann’s novel from 1992.